Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Are they the devs who went off on customers initially? Or was that someone else?
they certainly did, they were extremely rude and then played the victim when they received a backlash..was good publicity for them tho, otherwise their game wouldve been most likely unnoticed. didnt know they went "lifetime exclusive" as well, tho. shrugs

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
If all works fine in some games, and not others, then it sounds like software thing, not a hardware thing. Hardware problems tend to not care about what the software is doing, generally speaking.

Maybe check out the CPU temperatures when running some benchmarks on it, see if it doesn't suddenly overheat or something. Perhaps the fan profile that is currently set is a bit too aggressive, so if you have thermal head room, you may try to go for a less aggressive profile.
I keep a program open while playing to track that in the background and the highest it usually goes is between 79-81 on games. It's only during these weird hard locks/crashes where it shoots up to almost 90 until I can get the game closed down.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I keep a program open while playing to track that in the background and the highest it usually goes is between 79-81 on games. It's only during these weird hard locks/crashes where it shoots up to almost 90 until I can get the game closed down.
80 degrees at load is completely fine, 90 is high-ish. Hard locks are never a good sign, but I'd first check if there are other reports for people running that game. If there aren't then it seems likely that it could be a hardware issue. But not sure what would cause the CPU to act up like that.

Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Ooblets is going to hit Steam once the 1.0 is ready (they're on .99.9 or something. it's crazy.). It's shame they were so aggressively shitty after getting their payday. It was so unnecessary.
Yeah, they could have gotten the money and be rich somewhere else. I have it on my ignore list.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
WE DID THE THING
The Ooblets blob post was such a weird passive aggressive thing, I'll never understand it. I think the dude was trying to be cutesy or something, but it really just didn't come across at all.

It's a weird pattern with most EGSclusives too, almost like Epic mandates that "when you announce this, put your foot in your mouth at least 3 times."

Anyways, I'm playing Plague of Shadows and plan to continue to other Shovel Knight campaigns after it.
I like it, but the whole bomb jump mechanic is weird and I really suck at it.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
But nothing top this stupidity:
is two years nine month exclusive, they mocked all steam users many times:

one the first "life time™" EGS exclusive...

then:

Last edited:

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
A Steam release of Ooblets won't happen until 1 year after 1.0 releases (check page 3 in the link).

WE DID THE THING
The Ooblets blob post was such a weird passive aggressive thing, I'll never understand it. I think the dude was trying to be cutesy or something, but it really just didn't come across at all.

It's a weird pattern with most EGSclusives too, almost like Epic mandates that "when you announce this, put your foot in your mouth at least 3 times."

Anyways, I'm playing Plague of Shadows and plan to continue to other Shovel Knight campaigns after it.
I like it, but the whole bomb jump mechanic is weird and I really suck at it.
Check the document I linked. Epic helped them write that blog post which is why it comes off so juvenile. The backlash the devs received was horrible and could have been avoided if a certain company wasn't so willing to fling mud with a decision that was clearly going to be unpopular.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
But nothing top this stupidity:
is two years nine month exclusive, they mocked all steam users many times:

one the first "life time™" EGS exclusive...

then:
Eastasia is the publisher?

That's weird, I remember them saying PC sales for their stuff was just to low that they rather focus on the PS Vita and Switch.

• Eyes

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
What's wrong with City Connection?
There's nothing really wrong with them. Some of their ports have had issues. It's more that M2 has released a slew of incredible ports and they're all locked on consoles. I don't have high hopes for City Connection delivering anything with that level of quality.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I checked as much as I could without spoiling myself, so maybe I'm wrong, but the new solo content in Death Stranding DC doesn't seem that interesting ? I thought it would expand on the plot but it doesn't looks like it's the case, or not in any major way ?
In that case, I will happily play the vanilla game.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Did Elden Ring get patched to fix the stutters or is it still an issue?
Still an issue
Depends on hardware. I played 100+h on a 7700k/1070/16G/SATA-SSD, with frequent crashes and slowdowns, then got a new PC (not just for ER, it's my main work machine as well and it started having weird boot issues), 5900x/3070/32G/M.2, and I haven't had a single crash since (10+h ?). There are still minor hitches occasionally when loading new areas, but it's not very noticeable.

Didn't test with unlocked FPS with new PC, since online messages are pretty much mandatory if you want to find more than 1/3 of the stuff in the levels, and EAC must be deactivated. Didn't test ER in Linux on new PC, because EAC doesn't start (new sys is Endeavour (Arch-based); previous was Kubuntu, and it worked; perf was bad, though).

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I checked as much as I could without spoiling myself, so maybe I'm wrong, but the new solo content in Death Stranding DC doesn't seem that interesting ? I thought it would expand on the plot but it doesn't looks like it's the case, or not in any major way ?
In that case, I will happily play the vanilla game.
I don't think its possible to expand on that plot any more. Kojima already covered all dimensions of crazy with it.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ooblets is going to hit Steam once the 1.0 is ready (they're on .99.9 or something. it's crazy.). It's shame they were so aggressively shitty after getting their payday. It was so unnecessary.
No, the exclusivity period is 1 year after 1.0 launch.

Edit: Already stated by Arc

• Eyes

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
From what I remember reading on the Apple v Epic trial documents, Ooblets is 2 years exclusive or 1 year after 1.0.

I don't know if it stacks, we probably gonna know in june.

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It's nice for trying out new games, indies especially, but yeah, I think I'll just continue to buy them off Steam lol

Handy for MS Points too, I guess.
My game pass ends this summer, but since I only use it as a demo service, I will let it laps this summer. If I need to demo something, I still have piracy.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Let's talk Steam Deck.

They were able to send out their Q1 shipments.

There have been some issues and it looks like some people have gotten their stolen and stuff. (A concern that people had was how some of the stuff on the box pretty much indicates that it's a Steam Deck.

A lot of peoples impressions seem to be that the hardware is solid (there have been some people that have had some issues, but overall pretty dang solid). And software being the main complaint that people have. It seems that people are willing to be forgiving, seeing how the Device has been getting updates that have already improved the experience.

Some people have even praised Valve compared to SIE, Nintendo, and Xbox in regards to listening to peoples complaints and fixing certain features and issues within a short period of time, where the others would take months (Sony is only about to now implement VRR in the PS5 after almost 2 years ...... And the Xbox One X has had that feature since at least 2019....) So that is pretty cool.

Compared to the Valve Index we have already seen that Valve has been pretty at communicating information to a large base of people. Some of these might be to some of the changes that happened at Valve within the last year.

Deck is pretty much sold out and in the near future it will likely be sold out until 2023.

The Steam Deck is not being advertised by Valve via paid ads it seems. That may change in the future, or they might stick to what they are currently doing, or at least they will keep doing that until they are able to release in physical stores.

I'm Q3.

I'm guessing that we will get to a certain point (maybe by Summer) when more people become aware of the existence of the Steam Deck. Your typical PS5 and Xbox users may not even be aware of the existence of the Steam Deck and how it would me a great complimentary device to their existing Xbox and PS5 experience with GPU and PS+ Platinum.

It's interesting to see how people seem to think it's just too expensive. On one hand it is, compare to digital PS5 and Steam Deck 64GB version, both retail for $400 USD but the hardware on the PS5 is better. The Xbox Series S also has better hardware and is just $300USD.

Let's look at those prices a little closer, the Xbox Series S is $50 USD cheaper than the OLED Switch (that's pretty crazy). $50 is the price difference between a Digital PS5 and OLED Switch. $150 is the difference Between OLED and Disc PS5. $100 seems to be what the disc drive cost Sony? And $200 is the difference between Series X and Series S. I'm guessing that $100 is for the optic drive and the other $100 is for the better hardware inside?

Think of those prices and how the Steam Deck is $400, but you also have to consider how it has to be played on the go. Valve likely could have included better internal hardware but the issue would have been battery life. 1.5-2 hours seems fine for gameplay, but if it is only last 1 hour that would be an issue.

This may be an issue in the future but is it possible that some games may require to be installed on the internal storage to even be able to boot properly?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This may be an issue in the future but is it possible that some games may require to be installed on the internal storage to even be able to boot properly?
So games running off of the microSD not working well? That's pretty interesting, since for the game running off of Proton it shouldn't even be clear what kind of storage medium it is running from (since it's all kinda virtualised via Wine)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So games running off of the microSD not working well? That's pretty interesting, since for the game running off of Proton it shouldn't even be clear what kind of storage medium it is running from (since it's all kinda virtualised via Wine)
I think the bigger concern is games are going to require or be noticeably better with SSDs in the future.

As far as I can tell, the best micro SD cards have similar IO to a good 7200rpm mechanical drive, only with better seek times due to the lack of spinning platter and read head.

There are plenty of games where an SSD makes a difference. Forspoken will use DirectStorage, so presumably not run very well on drives that aren’t NVMe. There have also been examples of games that show the faster IO of PS5’s SSD versus the standard method of IO on PC creating a loading time bottleneck.

Thankfully, we haven’t seen any games that have really bad pop-in on PC versus the PS5’s fast IO, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for games that don’t use DirectStorage.

In those instances, we may find that some games on Steam Deck either require the NVMe or “require” the NVMe in order to have an acceptable experience.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I was too lazy this weekend to give CK3 a fair shake. Instead I picked up Strange Horticulture, which I'm really enjoying. The puzzles aren't hard, but the whole vibe of the game is so cozy(with some weird shit going on in the background), and was just the thing to eat up a few hours today.

Status
Not open for further replies.