Community MetaSteam | April 2022 - Crossing Spring in a Galaxy Far, Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So games running off of the microSD not working well? That's pretty interesting, since for the game running off of Proton it shouldn't even be clear what kind of storage medium it is running from (since it's all kinda virtualised via Wine)
Some one mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn as an example of a game that would not boot on the SD but would from the internal storage.

So as if right now there have not really been games that require an NVME drive in general, but in the future that may change. We have seen so far that there is not a huge change between an SD card and internal storage but I don't think those games were made with an NVME drive in mind.

I do think it is a valid reason to be concerned for in the future, in which case people that got a 64GB card might be screwed, it may not be as bad for people with 200+GB because one of the points of the NVME stuff is the much faster seeks which in theory should lead to smaller disk space seeing how now you don't need to have multiple of the same asset saved locally in the drive. Also depending on how popular the Steam Deck becomes and if devs decide to tweak thing for it specifically we can also have lower quality textures design specifically for the Deck that should also help reduce storage space as well.

Also I'm not sure if we have seen a big in depth look at SD card speeds for the Steam Deck. The Switch also uses an SD card but I would imagine that those wouldn't need to be that fast. How ever they may need to be faster for the Deck with future games.

I wonder if an issue does occur if Valve will let people know about what specific type of SD card they will need to be using, so this way they don't end up getting cheaply made ones. Word of the wise never use PNY drives/storage. Almost without fail they end up getting corrupt on me. And are just a waste of money.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Depends on hardware. I played 100+h on a 7700k/1070/16G/SATA-SSD, with frequent crashes and slowdowns, then got a new PC (not just for ER, it's my main work machine as well and it started having weird boot issues), 5900x/3070/32G/M.2, and I haven't had a single crash since (10+h ?). There are still minor hitches occasionally when loading new areas, but it's not very noticeable.
I'm 160 hours in on my 12900k/3090/NVME, and I have the same experience. Minor hitches very occasionally, but solid 60 FPS the vast majority of the time.

Which is not to say that the game shouldn't be far better on a technical level, or that it doesn't stutter more than this for other people, but in some places on the internet you can't say that it doesn't have severe and/or frequent stutter for you without people claiming that this just means you don't notice it. I was probably noticing stutter before some of those people were born :p

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have 1080/5820k/32gb/hdd and only had stutter in parts of Limgrave.

Yes, Im one of the few left on this planet still using a HDD for PC gaming. The weird part is that many of the games where the dev has highly recommended an SSD, like with Cyberpunk 2077 and The Medium, I didn't have any problems in those games.

• Eyes

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I have 1080/5820k/32gb/hdd and only had stutter in parts of Limgrave.
The worst stutter I had on my old system was Limgrave, fighting the Tree Sentinel, especially on a specific spot roughly equidistant to the church and First Step grace.

Yes, Im one of the few left on this planet still using a HDD for PC gaming. The weird part is that many of the games where the dev has highly recommended an SSD, like with Cyberpunk 2077 and The Medium, I didn't have any problems in those games.
For general system use, switching from an HDD to a SATA SSD, around 2013, was the single greatest performance increase I have ever experienced since the early 90s.

Games, however, are usually not greatly affected because they load everything they can in RAM and VRAM asap, so besides faster load times, it doesn't change much.

The greatest weakness of HDDs is random access time, more than sequential read speed; some older games did some cute things to lean on sequential read, including packaging all game assets in very large files, in a specific order and with redundancy. So if a game expects to need to load assets X Y, and X again, then the asset file would sometimes contain XYX rather than just XY, to avoid making the reading head dance all over the place; it can just keep going. (Assuming the filesystem is not too fragmented)

I assume Cyberpunk is somewhat optimised for HDD, since it targets older platforms, like PS4, that have HDDs.

For PC I don't think Steam's hardware survey distinguishes mass storage types, but about 10% of people have 2 cores CPUs, so very old systems, and it's fair to assume that they have HDDs as well, plus a good portion of the additional 23% of 4-cores users. Among the users with a 1080 and generally high-end rig,... yeah, you might be the exception, there :LOL:

Reason: typos
Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I will only be using SSDs for my next PC build. It's just curious how long using HDDs have lasted me. Well, I do have SSD, but only a small one for the OS.

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
i7-8750h, GTX 1060, 16 GB RAM, ER installed on NVME drive, I had to lower the resolution to 720p because for some reason it could not reach 60 fps in open world. It's a mess for me, it stutters non-stop, every single second, 24/7. By far the worst performing game I had ever played and It's the first time I had to lower the resolution below 1080p too. It's a shame because otherwise the game is fantastic, but I can't say that the technical aspects of this title doesn't affect my enjoyment.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So spent the last couple of years playing it safe, avoiding contact and what not. All for the sake of COVID. Go out on Friday night for a few drinks with friends and end up with COVID. All vaxxed up and just feels like a cold at the moment so all going well I should be OK.

Also, while playing Lost Ark, came across a sigth called Map Genie. Has maps for a lot of games showing all the collectables and what not. Pretty cool sight.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Lego Star Wars is outselling Elden Ring at this moment. I think it might actually dethrone ER in the top charts this week.
So spent the last couple of years playing it safe, avoiding contact and what not. All for the sake of COVID. Go out on Friday night for a few drinks with friends and end up with COVID. All vaxxed up and just feels like a cold at the moment so all going well I should be OK.

Also, while playing Lost Ark, came across a sigth called Map Genie. Has maps for a lot of games showing all the collectables and what not. Pretty cool sight.
I had it several months ago. Vaxxed and boosted too. I felt miserable for about 5 days. Hope you get better soon.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I finished NORCO and it was an incredible experience! I wrote a short review on steam:

You can call NORCO is a point and click game or an interactive fiction or even a Visual Novel if you stretch a bit, it doesn't matter in the end as you can expect an incredible experience that will navigate even if superficially through themes like family relations, self discovery, late stage capitalistic society, extremism, religion and so on.

The story starts with the protagonist returning to it's hometown after some years of absence. Your mother just died and your brother is nowhere to be found, this sets the start of the game and it keeps escalating in unexpected and absurd ways. All the chatacters you'll find through your journey are exquisite but doesn't feel out of place in this world.

The puzzles were intuitive enough that I was able to solve them just by following the hints that were provided through the game.

I highly recommend it.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The calculator is saying June 20 for me, which seems about right considering the trouble I had getting an order in. I think I'll just stop checking for a bit for my sanity.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Ad Return to Monkey Island

I'm just going to assume this all an extended April Fools joke, until I have it installed and running on my PC.
good choice ;)

This made me so emotional! Monkey Island is one of the most important games in the world to me. Such a big part of my childhood... I... Can't believe this is happening!
same, especially Monkey Island 2, one of my favourites of all time :D

It’s a sequel to Monkey Island 2, so the non-Gilbert games are now erased from the canon.
While I loved Monkey Island 3 (didnt like 4 and honestly hardly had any interest in Tales), I was always aware that Ron Gilbert had something else planned and I always wanted to see that. He talked about it several times over the years (I guess its still all on his Grumpy Gamer blog site), but obviously didnt have the licence to make that game. MI3 not being canon wont erase the fun I had with that game, replaying it numerous times even.

I guess the weirdest things can happen after long waits, eh?

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
You'd think that playing tons of P4G and P4AU over the last couple weeks would scratch my Persona itch plenty but my need for Persona 5 on PC is greater than ever. And the fact that Atlus actually has some games on Steam now is somehow making it worse lmao.

I'm just going nuts wondering why the hell they haven't ported P5R already and what its absence in the nvidia leak means since SMTV and Catherine Full Body were in there and aaaaaaaaaaa!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
You'd think that playing tons of P4G and P4AU over the last couple weeks would scratch my Persona itch plenty but my need for Persona 5 on PC is greater than ever. And the fact that Atlus actually has some games on Steam now is somehow making it worse lmao.

I'm just going nuts wondering why the hell they haven't ported P5R already and what its absence in the nvidia leak means since SMTV and Catherine Full Body were in there and aaaaaaaaaaa!

The Nvidia leak isn’t gospel, just an incomplete snapshot in time that may contain a whole bunch of cancelled games and exclude ones that are actively in development.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
giving Bloodlines 2 to a studio that hasnt released a game with actual gameplay yet? cool decision :p

but for realsies, The Chinese Room always came across as pompous to me, their games were boring, slow slogs and they clearly thought their writing was super intelligent, but it was always just a big "meh"

btw, by "always" I mean A Machine for Pigs, which was a very bad game in my opinion, and Dear Esther, which should be in the dictionary next to the word "boring" - i have not played the Rapture game, but from what Ive seen, its the same fare.

laying off everyone and then expanding to "much bigger than they were ever before" is also a bit shit, if you ask me. not exactly the way you should treat your team.

(put it in spoiler tags because its negative so if you dont feel like reading something negative you dont have to :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.