Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I qant to play hardline for its reload animations but im under the impression its sp mode is too right/white :v

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
That article is one of the worst of its kind and I've been seeing them pop up since the 90s, that dude just copy & pasted a bunch of speculation, went to the Era school of understanding Teraflops and barfed out some words to connect all that nonsense.

Considering 95% of modern console's innards are basically PC hardware (plus secret sauce) and PC gaming is playing a big part in helping to drive that hardware forward inbetween console cycles, especially graphics chips.... is that something anyone should want? Even the dumbest console zealot imaginable (and after 20 yrs of arguing with them I can imagine a lot) must realize the longterm impact on AMD if suddenly no PC gamers would exist anymore to buy their CPUs, or Nvidia trying to sell its 3080Ti Superduper to Excel wielding accountants. I know these companies have other avenues and motivations for innovating, cars are a big thing for Nvidia for example, but gaming has specific requirements that need to be catered to,
bUT tHeY SpEnD bILlIoNs iN R&d

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Playing No man's sky on PC with win7 and GTX 1060

Had 2 BSOD already. One while alt-tabbing the game in the menu, the second after 10 minutes playing and loading a game.
With my year old Nvidia drivers, the Game didn't start, so I installed the newest drivers. Can't rule out that it is the new driver, but couldn't yet replicate the BSOD on other games.

Anyone know of this issue and a solution? These are the first BSOD I had for years.
Temperature for the first bsod was 58°C and for second was 70°C

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Game translations seems to be hard. Seems like sometimes they don't know anything about context. Or maybe they are done cheaply...

Finnish doesn't get much localization, but there's many hilarious mistakes.

Example from Portal:

Maybe you'll find someone else to help you? (from ending)

Translated as

Toukokuujoku muu auttaa sua

Toukokuu = May (month), may = ehkä
joku muu = someone else (only missing space!)
auttaa sinua = help you

so I guess somehow they skipped over "be you'll find" and question mark.

Translated by professionals

Example from The Sims: (probably 2).

Fire (as in fire someone) = Ammu (shoot).

And Ubisoft has done some weird stuff like translation only spoken lines (cutscenes) in AC syndicate. Rest was left in English. Everything after that is English only (expect Just Dance).

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
And Ubisoft has done some weird stuff like translation only spoken lines (cutscenes) in AC syndicate. Rest was left in English. Everything after that is English only (expect Just Dance).
I remember on 360 when I played AC 3, they locked part of the game language into whatever location (not language) your xbox dashboard was set to. So I could change dialogue and subs to English from the game menus, but all the actual menus and codex entries and such were in Finnish of varying quality. Only way around was to shut the game down and change dashboard location to US or such and relaunch. So stupid.

Reactions: lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Had 2 BSOD already. One while alt-tabbing the game in the menu, the second after 10 minutes playing and loading a game.
With my year old Nvidia drivers, the Game didn't start, so I installed the newest drivers. Can't rule out that it is the new driver, but couldn't yet replicate the BSOD on other games.

Anyone know of this issue and a solution? These are the first BSOD I had for years.
If you were running superold graphics drivers maybe some other stuff is severely outdated too. Like sound drivers, LAN, whatever. Or Windows itself (well, beyond it being W7, knowwhatImean).

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
If you were running superold graphics drivers maybe some other stuff is severely outdated too. Like sound drivers, LAN, whatever. Or Windows itself (well, beyond it being W7, knowwhatImean).
well, the sound was bugging out when it bsod'ed but that could just be because it crashes. Will try sound drivers tomorrow. W7 is up to date.
Third bsod was after I changed the graphics from minimum to medium (after successfully changing it from medium to minimum and running around for 5 minutes)

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan

Have you checked to see if you need to clean?

Also good thing you updated your video drivers, bad security risk was patched.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
well, the sound was bugging out when it bsod'ed but that could just be because it crashes. Will try sound drivers tomorrow. W7 is up to date.
Third bsod was after I changed the graphics from minimum to medium (after successfully changing it from medium to minimum and running around for 5 minutes)
Long shot but Resplendence Software - LatencyMon: suitability checker for real-time audio and other tasks can be very useful to find drivers that are ruining your day. Especially if sound is affected or for weird lag spikes.

Or it could be the hardware, like an old PSU not being able to cope with specific situations that might only happen in certain games.

Or that big 2.0 patch is buggy.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Don't really see how the PS5 hardware can do anything to PC gaming. Just look how successful the PS4 was/is and that didn't put a dent into pc gaming in any sort of way.

Steam, twitch etc grew like 5 folds this gen in fact and nothing in the console/handheld space could affect it all. The PS5 won't even be some nosebleed must own console at launch too. Everything will be backwards and forwards compatible...at least for the first few years of it releasing. There will be less incentive for people to buy it at launch since the PS4 will be just fine for most until Sony starts releasing their big 1st party titles. And we know that takes a long time. It wasn't until like 2016 that PS4 started getting its big hitters. So yea I don't really see what the PS5 can possibly do to kill off pc gaming. Sony would have to sell it at like a 200$ loss or something to really force their way into every living room. And even then the PC gaming community is its own monster at this point.

If anything I would put my money on Sony creating a PC client to release their first party games on it (like 6-12 months after the console versions) so they can penetrate many markets around the world where console gaming is not popular. It really makes sense for them and it wouldn't hurt their console business all that much imo. It would be really great if they expanded with PSNow on PC and let PC users download the games like PS4 users. Maybe create some type of local streaming tech within the client. Something like that would eventually be great. It would be great competition to gamepass on PC as well.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
If anything I would put my money on Sony creating a PC client to release their first party games on it (like 6-12 months after the console versions) so they can penetrate many markets around the world where console gaming is not popular.
as much as i would love that to happen - i don't think it will ... not until Sony are in DEEEEEEEEEP shit financially

Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
as much as i would love that to happen - i don't think it will ... not until Sony are in DEEEEEEEEEP shit financially
I think its really possible next gen. Especially if Stadia and cloud gaming take off.

The less and less reasons people have to buy a console..the more likely Sony will do it. And Nintendo as well tbh. Both Sony and Nintendo this gen have already wet their feet in the mobile market to a lot of success. PC is the next move for them. Dedicated living room hardware is only gonna be like 20% of the marketshare at most by the end of the next decade. There is gonna be a lot of avenues to make money. PC is gonna be very profitable for them because they can create their own client without giving anyone a cut.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

I had no intention of turning this into a news-worthy story, but seeing new articles coming out every day quoting what I said on reddit, it seems that the news is very much out there. I thought I’d give you a bit more insight into what actually happened so my words aren’t quoted out of context.

A bit of background
I’m an indie developer, just launched my first title “DARQ.” I worked on it for over 3.5 years, mostly solo, with occasional help of a few talented contractors. It was in top 50 most wishlisted games on Steam before it launched.

What happened
On July 27th (Saturday) I uploaded a new trailer anouncing Steam launch date. On July 30th (Tuesday) I was contacted by the Epic Store, proposing that I enter into an exclusivity agreement with them instead of releasing DARQ on Steam. They made it clear that releasing DARQ non-exclusively is not an option. I rejected their offer before we had a chance to talk about money.

[I will share a screenshot of this communication below- I hope the Epic Store won’t mind, since the exchange was polite and professional, and I was not asked to keep it confidential]

Why I rejected their offer
Before I get into this, I would like to emphasize that I’m not speaking on behalf of other developers. Every indie studio has a unique story and has to deal with unique set of obstacles. The following reasons are mine and mine only. Rejecting such offer happened to be right for my game, but might not be right for other games / studios, as their goals and long-term plans might differ from mine.

• I like money, and getting some upfront payment on top of guaranteed revenue sounds great. But although I’m a first time developer, I’m very serious about working in this industry for a very long time. I had just announced DARQ release date on Steam - pulling the game off Steam a few days after Steam release date announcement would forever ruin the credibility of my studio. I woud like for my customers to have confidence that my word means something, especially when making announcement as crucial as release date / platform. Turning down the Epic exclusivity offer might have been a foolish decision in the short term, considering the amount of money that might have been involved. When thinking long term, however, this was an easy & obvious decision to make (in my case).
  • DARQ was listed on Steam since late 2018. A lot of Steam users added DARQ to their wishlist and patiently waited for its release date for almost a year. Pulling the game off Steam, especially so close to the release date, would surely make a lot of DARQ fans unhappy. Apart from the moral issues involved, would it be worth it if given a large sum of money? Consider Amazon’s history — the company remained unproffitable for many years by ALWAYS putting their customers first. They had made many decisions in the past that were extremely pro-customer, even if it meant leaving money on the table (for which they got a lot of criticism from Wall Street). Now, Amazon is one of the biggest companies in the world, and it’s because customers know Amazon will always be on their side. Their refund policy has always been the industry standard, and their delivery promise was always fulfilled to the best of their ability. Will I make less money on Steam than I would have by accepting the financial guarantee from the Epic Store? Probably. But it’s a fair price to pay for establishing an ongoing trust between my studio and its customers. Unfold Games (my studio) is here to stay, and DARQ is just the beginning.
  • It was important to me to give players what they wanted: options. A lot of people requested that DARQ is made available on GOG. I was happy to work with GOG to bring the game to their platform. I wish the Epic Store would allow indie games to be sold there non-exclusively, as they do with larger, still unreleased games (Cyberpunk 2077), so players can enjoy what they want: a choice.
Ooblets
Coincidentally, the day after I rejected their offer (July 31st), Ooblets’ developers announced that they accepted the exclusivity deal from the Epic Store, which caused quite a lot of controversy. At the time, I decided not to participate in the controversy and keep my stance on the Epic Exclusivity deals to myself. However, I noticed that more and more people started asking me if I was about to do the same. Ultimately, I decided to mention that I had rejected the Epic exclusivity deal, so the community can rest assured DARQ is still coming to Steam and GOG. I was not going to turn it into a news story and did not contact press to attract attention to this matter.

Earlier Today
Now that numerous media outlets made my Epic’s deal rejection veeery public, I found myself tagged in a tweet addressed directly to Tim Sweeney:

Needless to say, I never intended to become the face of the Epic Store exclusivity controversy. But since I’m tagged directly in a response to Tim Sweeney’s tweet, I felt I should at least make my stance clear.

I’m seriously a little scared to share the following screenshot (given that Tim Sweeny has infinite monetary power and connections in the industry to completely destroy me and my game — which I trust he won’t be compelled to do, I’m just a first-time indie developer after all), but here’s my conversation with the Epic Store representative. It was nice, polite, respectful, professional, but it also contradicts what Tim Sweeney seems to be advocating for:

I wish there wasn’t a double standard and indie developers were given an equal oportunity to sell their games across multiple store fronts, so the players can enjoy what they seem to want the most: a choice.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Well at this point I think I have moved on from Apex Legends, it was a fun game but there was just something about it that has not drawn me in the same way that say Titanfall 1 did. I think I might finally buy Titanfall 2. Is Battlefield 1 any good? since I think I might buy that Amazon bundle for $12USD

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Well at this point I think I have moved on from Apex Legends, it was a fun game but there was just something about it that has not drawn me in the same way that say Titanfall 1 did. I think I might finally buy Titanfall 2. Is Battlefield 1 any good? since I think I might buy that Amazon bundle for $12USD
Ironically the season stuff just turned me off the game. I dont want to play when it demands it, and trying to introduce fomo is honestly quite disgusting.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I think it's a real shame about what happened to Metal Gear Online 3 (MGS V TPP) because I have over 400 hours in that game and online was fun but you could tell that the game was abandoned. That game was very fun.

This is some of my old gameplay from it

I will miss that game
Ironically the season stuff just turned me off the game. I dont want to play when it demands it, and trying to introduce fomo is honestly quite disgusting.
fomo?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think it's a real shame about what happened to Metal Gear Online 3 (MGS V TPP) because I have over 400 hours in that game and online was fun but you could tell that the game was abandoned. That game was very fun.

I will miss that game
After beating the campaign I just played nothing but the FOB invasions for over 200hrs. It was so addicting invading high level security fobs and stealing peoples metals, fuels and S+ soldiers. The AI and tension involved trying to steal as much and not getting seen during the 15 minutes was some of the best stealth gameplay I ever experienced in a game. It was like the perfect arcadey culmination of Metal Gear + old school VR missions.

I barely played that other multiplayer when it came out. It didn't help that those modes didn't launch day n date with consoles. The FOB stuff was just so much better and the fact that Konami forced the online stuff on everyone meant there was so much bases to invaded. It basically generated thousands of hours of content for those who did care for it. Its a shame everyone got outraged over it and got all scared of the internet. People just continue piling on the incredible package that is MGSV. There is so much multiplayer and singleplayer content that entire game modes literally got overshadowed. A crazy accomplishment from KojiPro despite the shit conditions/controversies they had to endure with Konami and Kojima.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
I used to have FOMO with Sony exclusives back in the PS3 days but now I don't pay as much attention anymore. So much stuff is coming out that you're bound to miss out on something, so just pick and choose what you like without hurting your wallet or time.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Um, why are some people upset that the Darq dev screencaped email? When someone leaks secret govt documents on something shitty everyone is praising it because it's good for democracy, but don't paint Timmy boy in a negative light, it's wrong!
Because it breaks the narrative that we should just consume and competition and some other weird shit people believe.
Just think about how many times people bring the 'it has always been like this in consoles!'

No shit, why do you think we dont mainly play on them.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Don't really see how the PS5 hardware can do anything to PC gaming. Just look how successful the PS4 was/is and that didn't put a dent into pc gaming in any sort of way.

Steam, twitch etc grew like 5 folds this gen in fact and nothing in the console/handheld space could affect it all. The PS5 won't even be some nosebleed must own console at launch too. Everything will be backwards and forwards compatible...at least for the first few years of it releasing. There will be less incentive for people to buy it at launch since the PS4 will be just fine for most until Sony starts releasing their big 1st party titles. And we know that takes a long time. It wasn't until like 2016 that PS4 started getting its big hitters. So yea I don't really see what the PS5 can possibly do to kill off pc gaming. Sony would have to sell it at like a 200$ loss or something to really force their way into every living room. And even then the PC gaming community is its own monster at this point.

If anything I would put my money on Sony creating a PC client to release their first party games on it (like 6-12 months after the console versions) so they can penetrate many markets around the world where console gaming is not popular. It really makes sense for them and it wouldn't hurt their console business all that much imo. It would be really great if they expanded with PSNow on PC and let PC users download the games like PS4 users. Maybe create some type of local streaming tech within the client. Something like that would eventually be great. It would be great competition to gamepass on PC as well.
Yeah, what a lot of non-PC gamers don't seem to understand is that PC gaming is not only about power. I meanI have a good PC but this week alone I primarily played things that I could also have played with a toaster: a visual novel and a port of a PS Vita game.

For me I like it because it has the largest library of everything:
Not only are there tons of (great) indie games that make it to consoles later (or never), there's infinite backwards compatibility.
And PC has some exclusives from all 3 consoles. There are games on PC that are otherwise only on Xbox. There are games on PC that are otherwise only on PS4. And there are games that are otherwise only on Switch.
Yeah, you don't get some of the exclusives, but those are far less than the ones you get. There's also emulation that will make them available eventually, some 3rd party exclusives will come later and it's not like you can't get a console on the side if you really wanted to.

Then there are mods and cheats to customize my experience or cut out bullshit (and consoles will never get that at the level PC has, because this is largely not desireable in a walled garden and where modern games like to sell cheats that cut out the bullshit for money).

And then there are bundles and a large number of 3rd party stores where you basically have good deals for games you like throughout the entire year.

And then Steam frankly just provides the better service. For free.
And Sony has made a bunch of anti-consumer decisions this gen (crossplay, shutting down their online-game servers like a year after release if a game doesn't do well and that's with people freaking paying for that shit), so I don't exactly trust them. (I say Sony here, because if I went for a console Playstation would be my first choice, since it would likely get the most exclusives that align with my tastes),

So yeah my platform choice isn't exactly driven by raw power and I believe there's a large contigent of PC gamers that feel the same, for similar or different reasons than I do.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
For me. PC will always be a superior platform by the very fact that it is also a work tool. Consoles are only for consumers, and there's literally zero disadvantages on having a PC. You can start a company, apply for one, do freelance, or whatever else you might think AND you can use it for entertainment.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ps5 users would still need to pay to play their ps3 and ps4 libraries doe :v

In all seriousness tho I am curious to see what Sonty will offer during the ps5 era.
I am still unsubbing from ps plus by 2020, as the plus rental service aint doing much for me :v

Btw oninaki and spyro in the next 2 weeks...which isnt to say of the dozen other notable releases of September at least ToT

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Ps5 users would still need to pay to play their ps3 and ps4 libraries doe :v

In all seriousness tho I am curious to see what Sonty will offer during the ps5 era.
I am still unsubbing from ps plus by 2020, as the plus rental service aint doing much for me :v

Btw oninaki and spyro in the next 2 weeks...which isnt to say of the dozen other notable releases of September at least ToT
Sony should definitely restructure both PS+ and PSNow. Both are just too expensive for what they offer. Maybe combine both for like 10$ per month or something. Them being in first place this gen will mean they won't change much. And it will probably be a mistake because PS5 seems to just be more of the same but now with a magical SSD. They had it kinda easy this entire gen. They are gonna be competing with much more than just Microsoft next gen. Nintendo is also more aggressive than they ever been and lately dominate NA sales every month it seems.

Hot take: if Insomniac's Spiderman wasnt an exclusive, it wouldnt be as praised as it is now. Extremely average game.
To be fair I rarely see much praise for it. Its usually just graphics or something like swinging. It has an 87 on metacritic. I would drop it maybe by like 1-2 more points but its about right. 80% of the game is boring and repetitive but there is that 20% chunk that is pretty good. Mostly the stuff with Doc OC and few other bits.

It's nowhere near as good as any of the 3 Rocksteady Arkham games. Knight which came out 3 years prior is better in every way including graphics etc imo. Can't wait to see what Rocksteady does next. I'm 100x more hyped for that unknown than a possible Spider Man 2 from Insomniac.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 19, 2018
Ibis Island

I will miss that game

fomo?
Is it offline now or is no one playing it? I do know they stopped the updates and such due to player count I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.