Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Does VA-11 Hall-A pick up after a while? I finished day 3 (and I did the prologue + demo stories) , but it's not grabbing me at all so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabs

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019

The day I'm sure many have been waiting for, and just as many probably thought it wouldn't happen. Linux has finally hit 1% again on the Steam Hardware Survey.
If we take how many monthly active users Steam has which Valve reported at over 120 million at the start of this year, that would give us an estimated 1,204,000 monthly active Linux users on Steam.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
The first Final Fantasy has clawed its way back up to a userscore of 1.7, but as TheGamer notes, it was previously down to 0.7, with Final Fantasy 2 at 0.8 and Final Fantasy 3 at 1.9. In each case it's due to a string of user reviews giving the games a zero. "We want to be able to play these games on consoles", one review repeated across all three games says. "Classic games such as Final Fantasy should not be gated behind mobile phone and computers. (But please change the text font before releasing on console. Thank you!)"
Edit: Kinda clickbaity as the review bomb was only a dozen or so negative reviews lol
Metacritic links: I / II / III

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Soon leaving game pass PC:

Don't Starve: Giant Edition
FFVI
Crossing Souls
Ape Out
Darksiders Genesis
Train Sim World

• Evil
Reactions: Wok

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Saw that Valve VR ERA thread on Twitter. I hope Valve continues with VR, I mean, I would obviously play any regular games from Valve, but Alyx was magical BECAUSE of VR.

Like, I have no doubt a Half-Life 3 in non-VR would be amazing, but as someone who played Alyx, anything Half-Life related without VR would be downhill compared to Alyx.

Still though, Valve does what they want. If they want HL3 to be VR, it will be VR, if they want it to be non-VR, it will be non-VR.

ramoisdead

MetaMember
Nov 5, 2018
New anime thread! :evilblob:

Anyhoo, I played the free Weekend trial of Grounded on Steam with 3 other friends over the past 3 days. I’m usually not a fan of survival crafting games…in fact, I hate most the genre but I’ll admit I had a lot of fun with this one. Is it something to play alone? Maybe…depends if you like this type of game, I’m sure you’ll find some enjoyment but this definitely shines with more people. It’s a big buggy still cuz Early Access and I’m hoping Obsidian adds something that will make enticing for people who can play alone but I’d keep my eye on this one.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
I did not even have to use to a support bracket for my MSI 3070. It's heavy but it does not sag to any dangerous degree.
Watched Bladerunner the other day and I know where the image is from: it's from Bladerunner.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Saw that Valve VR ERA thread on Twitter. I hope Valve continues with VR, I mean, I would obviously play any regular games from Valve, but Alyx was magical BECAUSE of VR.

Like, I have no doubt a Half-Life 3 in non-VR would be amazing, but as someone who played Alyx, anything Half-Life related without VR would be downhill compared to Alyx.

Still though, Valve does what they want. If they want HL3 to be VR, it will be VR, if they want it to be non-VR, it will be non-VR.
They're not going to abandon VR, lol. Anyone saying otherwise has no clue about how Valve operates.
Gabe just said in the IGN interview a few days ago (the actual interview is a bit older than a few days though) that they're happy with Alyx and VR and that it's a long-term investment for them.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

They will keep developing VR games, I don't know who that twitter user is but so far I'm confident to say that I would get any of that wording with a big grain of salt.

Kind of weird he says that when last month Index was again the third most used headset on Steam and keeps growing at a steady rate.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I haven't had a hardware poll for a long time. Does my Vive/Index need to be connected or can Steam identify it from the registry?
I don't think my headset has ever been connected or switched on when i've had of these hardware polls.

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I haven't had a hardware poll for a long time. Does my Vive/Index need to be connected or can Steam identify it from the registry?
I don't think my headset has ever been connected or switched on when i've had of these hardware polls.
Yes, it needs to be connected, that's why numbers are even lower than reality.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Will be interesting to see if Deck will have a noticable effect in pushing up the Linux/SteamOS share of Steam users.
Its pretty incredible how Steam Linux has managed to keep up with the large growth the whole platform has had. Once Deck starts going out it will be really interesting to see how the numbers change

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
To be honest as I don't have a VR headset I wouldn't mind at all if Valve scaled back VR game development to focus on traditional games for a while. It would be nice to push the Steam Deck with a game suited for it.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Hmm.. GRIME looks interesting, but these days a store description like "a fast and unforgiving Action-Adventure " is not very enticing to my old man ass.

To be honest as I don't have a VR headset I wouldn't mind at all if Valve scaled back VR game development to focus on traditional games for a while. It would be nice to push the Steam Deck with a game suited for it.
I selfishly agree :p

Over here getting a VR headset it's stupidly expensive. The only option I can even consider is the Quest 2, and even that is way too much to pay for a hardware with an uncertain future... and then there also the whole "little" thing about Facebook being terrible.

So I would personally also not complain if Valve took the Deck as an incentive to develop for normal displays again.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I don't have a VR headset but I want Valve to continue because I think it's a really interesting technology and I don't want it "owned" by fucking facebook.
But as I said, there's 0 chance Valve is dropping VR work so it's not a useful discussion to have anyways.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I honestly don't get the impression Valve cares too much whether VR is a great success or not. They like to explore VR as they seem bored by "regular" games, or at least don't seem to show great enthusiasm in making normal FPS games anymore.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Iconoclasts -77% - €4.59 - New historical lowest price - 4 times in a bundle
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Collector's Edition -91% - €3.77 - New historical lowest price?? - I don't know if it includes all content to be honest. "Note: The DLCs Shadows Over Bögenhafen, Back to Ubersreik and Winds of Magic are not included in the Collector's Edition Upgrade "
MELTY BLOOD Actress Again Current Code -90% - €2.29 - New historical lowest price - 2 times in a bundle

There are more historical lowest price games on Fanatical if someone wants to check them

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Not sure how one semi random dev saying Valve has cancelled all its VR projects is taken as anything more than speculation at this point. I would never say it is outside the realm of possibility, but I think Valve will continue to support Steam VR for at least another iteration.

I do think PCVR has a tough road ahead, but I also think it is an extremely important road for VR to preserve itself and not be coupled to the whims of Facebook who is still too much a wildcard despite how many folks are just sure the good times will flow when all that is flowing right now is speculative capital that could abandon it as soon as shareholders are no longer amused.

I do hope Valve iterates on Index, giving a wireless option, tracking options, and additional software. Stretch goal would be a VR fund for PCVR devs, but this is less likely.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Hey everyone I'm also a dev and I can say that Valve is working on TF4 (the third entry will be an animation movie tying all the lore together), L4D3 and Ricochet 2, this one being the most incredible game I've ever seen.

There is also inside talk about Valve buying Nintendo, though it will take some years until the deal is done.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Valve is probably waiting for a powerful enough chip and they will just release a standalone headset for 400-500$ in a couple years.

The release would coincide with whatever new VR game they are working on as well. (assuming they are working on something)

Being able to tether or stream from your PC would be a feature tho I don't see Valve making some walled garden VR market. Maybe they will have some type of Proton VR solution as well so devs don't have to do additional work.

And the standalone graphics should be good enough seeing these new chips with AMD pushing a lot of power. Something like a Steam Deck attached to your face would already make for an impressive device right now tbh lol.

Its only a matter of time until you are able to strap something like a 1070 to your face. The tech is moving fast. I expect the Quest 3 to make a big leap as well.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Speaking of Choice, are people really into Dirt 5? Based on the prices at keyshop resellers, it is the headliner of the bundle, and by far: Dirt 5 goes for 7 €, Yakuza 3 for 4 €, and The Surge for 3.70 €.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
If I had any interest in VR I’d always go for a standalone experience like the quest rather than the index or whatever

• Eyes

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
basically turtle rocks last chance to redeem themselves and see if they can make a good game without valves guidance

• This!

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
According to several people on Reddit and Era, the "improved" windows store in Windows 11 is still using the same locked down folders for games than the current store in Windows 10. This means still no file access, modding, pcgamingwiki fixes or whatever.

What a huge disappointment, especially since Microsoft is charging €70 for their games on Steam and bought a shitload of my favorite devs. 😞

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
According to several people on Reddit and Era, the "improved" windows store in Windows 11 is still using the same locked down folders for games than the current store in Windows 10. This means still no file access, modding, pcgamingwiki fixes or whatever.

What a huge disappointment, especially since Microsoft is charging €70 for their games on Steam and bought a shitload of my favorite devs. 😞
This shouldn't be a surprise in any way. And even better, we're able to buy these games on Steam just because of the goodness of Microsoft's heart, and they can change those policies at any time. Hooray for acquisitions!

Status
Not open for further replies.