Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't think they are "permanent exclusives" in the sense that there's any contractual obligation. I think Square might just not bother with bringing them to Steam. One reason could be that they never actually worked on a Steam version, and now they'd have to invest some money into someone touching the code again, at the very least to integrate the basic Steam stuff. Perhaps Square just doesn't believe it's worth spending a cent on the games, since they sold poorly on EGS.
Alternatively, maybe Square actually forgot about these games and one day they'll just shadow drop on Steam.
My copium is:

• they plan to release them on Steam once they fully reveal KH4
  • they are working with Valve on getting them Steam Deck verified

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Square is releasing so many games in the next months, that I wouldn't really expect NEO/KH on Steam anytime soon. But it's also a company that's releasing Tactics Ogre and new Valkyrie on PC on the same day so in the end maybe they will drop them out of nowhere and this post is actually useless.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I don't think they are "permanent exclusives" in the sense that there's any contractual obligation. I think Square might just not bother with bringing them to Steam. One reason could be that they never actually worked on a Steam version, and now they'd have to invest some money into someone touching the code again, at the very least to integrate the basic Steam stuff. Perhaps Square just doesn't believe it's worth spending a cent on the games, since they sold poorly on EGS.
Alternatively, maybe Square actually forgot about these games and one day they'll just shadow drop on Steam.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Now I just need KH and NEO TWEY cmon fucks sake Square.

I hope they are not permanent exclusives.
NEO won't be known until next month, it released September 28th IIRC

as for KH, any random day now :lampblob:
Actually my theory is that they might want to get KH games working and verified for Steam Deck, but that's just a thought.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
There is a high chance both of them hit Steam eventually, but we are talking about the company that stopped selling The Last Remnant on PC because they made a remaster, and then proceeded to not put the remaster up for sale.
This is probably the only company in the industry where I believe there is a non-0% chance they are stupid and/or incompetent enough to forget about one of their more popular franchises.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
HEY PEOPLE, GUESS WHAT:

Time to check in on our little cult pals again! There's a good chance today might be our last stream with Cult of the Lamb given I'm pretty sure we only have one, maybe two bosses left. So that means no more wholesome cult activities in the future like.. umm.. :thinking-blob:

Bake sales?

While I try to find an answer to that question, I can say that we'll be starting in about 10 minutes like usual so feel free to stop by and hang out!

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
What i dont get Is that isnt now almost impossible to switch region and buy as a foreigner on a different country?
Where is the loophole at this point

Reactions: Li Kao

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I think the main issue with KH is the series is a prime candidate for rereleases still, especially with a possible Switch 2 popping up next year. With KH4 coming up they could release a "The Story So Far Ultimatum Mix" or whatever name they can give it which also includes the more recent stories from the mobile games (like the one that wrapped up lately), release a non cloud Switch 2 version and also release a native PS5 and Series X version, and slap some new super secret movie hinting at something about KH4. The Steam version could easily coincide with that possible new rerelease
Games like Neo TWEWY or SoP willl obviously not have this kind of rerelease in the future (SoP will most likely get a Complete Edition like the 2 Nioh to coincide with the Steam release but that's it)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
While this sucks for genuine customers, I can kind of see why they've done it.
People who bought it from Argentina were not gonna buy it at their region's price.
Now they blocked two countries from buying it and whatever little money they were making from that, now it's effectively zero.

Great job, guys. You revived piracy!

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
In the end we can summarize it as richer countries exploring poorer ones, a tale as old as time.

When folks from those poorer countries complain about the folks doing it they get responses like "get mad against the system, not against us" like if they aren't taking part in that same system and making it harder for legitimate customers to access games in a legal way.

It's incredible how they can't even feel empathy and will use arguments like "video games are a luxury" or "it's unfair that they less for a game". It's like if people in developing countries shouldn't be allowed to have access to entertainment, about the second argument they don't even consider the cost of living in said country, minimum wages and so on.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
So I reinstalled FFXIV yesterday. I binged through everything up to Endwalker, and then just sorta stopped... Anyway, fun thing I discovered! Uninstalling FFXIV on Steam doesn't actually uninstall it. It just removes it from your installed list in Steam. So that's where 65GB of my HD space went.

I only played for an hour or so last night. I was worried I wouldn't know how to play anymore, but it clicked right away. My inventory almost made me quit again though! My armory only has 1 empty space in most of the slots, and my actual inventory has like 10 spots free. I recall I was working on all of the crafting classes before I quit... 😔

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
finished chapter 5 of Digimon Survive: I'm groaning every time a character that isn't Aoi or Minoru open their piehole tbh. I'm dreading starting chapter 6 because I KNOW that they're gonna mourn the shitheel which got what he deserved, but somehow everyone will miss him.
The main thing is that I'm also having a hard time connecting with the characters, like at some point there's Takuma that goes (i'm paraphrasing) "it seems it's getting better" in regards to Shuuji, when the fucker is literally abusing Lopmon 24/7, and I'm like "bruh".
Other than that the game is enjoyable.

edit; please game off Kaito and Miu next

Last edited:

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
i have cometh back for one post; i finished death stranding director's cut, and i was gonna write about it, but it turned out way too long, so here's a short summary and some images:

the game's story is what you can expect usually from someone like Kojima; it's deep, cinematic, narrative-driven, but it also has some parts hidden in optional reads such as the mails and info, much like cassette tapes from MGSV

however, the gameplay, at least on harder difficulties, show off the good and bad of the game:
on normal difficulty, you usually don't have to care about things like container damage, shoe wear, or anything like that, as the game is usually very easy with that stuff, so it doesn't feel anything special; however, on hard difficulty, I feel as though that should be the introductory difficulty for most players, as it makes them actually worry about what they're doing
on a difficulty like hard, containers can get damaged over a few minutes in timefall, you have to actually plan if you want to avoid BTs or sneak past them; maybe even battle them, you also have to think about shoe wear, time used, energy, battery power, and those types of things; it makes it feel like a game

however, the gameplay itself overall felt great at times, but dull at most; it was great at the start, when you had almost nothing at your arsenal, where you had to change shoe wear every 5 minutes, avoid BTs and MULEs, and overall have to properly strategize and learn how to proceed in the game, but when you come to halfway, it starts to become dull, with the introduction of things that make the game child's play; trucks and trikes that carry everything and go faster than you eliminate the need for carriers, speed skeletons eliminate the need for bridges, and weapons eliminate the need for sneaking, you can even defeat an entire MULE camp at the start of the game with your starting weapon of a BOLA gun
this made the game less exciting, and more dull and repetitive, causing a lot of players, including me, to simply stop playing at that point of time

however, in the gameplay, there was one part that made it go instantly from dull to exciting, and that's when your BB had to rest for a long while. you see, you need your BB to see BTs, so you can both sneak and fight them, and without it, you can sense them; this was an instant wake up call, as you no longer could sneak, and you had to think if you were going to risk fighting them (as you can see them briefly appear when they spot you, thus opening a brief window for attacking them before they get to you and start a BT boss fight) in the timefall, or you could risk walking around them in the expense of taking your time; i personally chose to fight them, and it was really great, as you had to carry your weapon at all times, ready to fire in case you stumbled upon someone, while slowly making your way to your destination, both sneaking and being slowed down by the same snow that was currently eating your cargo alive

however, after that, it became dull again, and that's basically the gist of it; other stuff to point out would be the OST, which is fantastic, but it is a real shame that you couldn't have a music player in the game, so you were forced to listen to silence and Sam walking around

this isn't a comprehensive review as I really don't want to write tons, so in all, I give it 7.5/10: great plot, narrative, cinematic stuff, and music, but it is a shame that the gameplay wasn't exciting at most times

i'm in a bad economical situation as i am the sponsor of the family's confirmation gift to my other nephew, in addition to having to pay rent twice this month due to a new rent payment date; 15th for this month, and then 1st for the next month, but i am regardless considering to get SH2 purely for the sake of me being bored

however, it's also very expensive, so if anyone has a few key sites that they trust with their life, be sure to tell them so i can snatch it

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Pretty much every game that I would've bought day 1 if it wasn't an EGS exclusive has ended up being mediocre or worse.
I wonder if its game devs chasing the EGS money because they thinking they gone too deep in to the making, fucked it up and made something generic or if its EGS chasing for exclusivity and the devs thinking they effectively got another year of turd polishing time before it arrives on Steam.

Either way EGS would be a lot less laughable if they fixed the payrolling of shite that is exclusive to their store before devs end up putting a better polished product on other stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.