Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Saints Row looks mediocre, but it'll sell well since the market for large scale games has been bone dry since April.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Saints Row looks mediocre, but it'll sell well since the market for large scale games has been bone dry since April.
Saints Row isn't a large scale game. And it won't sell well either, not on Epic or consoles. The social media talk on the game is really quiet too.

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Marvel's Spiderman is doing better than GOW despite having a lower CCU peak, so far it has been present at the weekly top 10 for 5 straight weeks vs:

3 from GOW (release)
2 from HZD (release)
2 from Days Gone (release)

Given its higher price tag, it is generating more money too.

Soma

Dec 21, 2018
Do they unlock the pre order outfits ?
It actually didn't. Or at least, not yet. On activation it was labeled as 'Pre Purchase', so maybe on release date it will become available. Unless there is a diferent key for it and CDKeys didn't give it away along with the preorder.

To whoever bought Soul Hackers 2 on normal resellers, did you also get a preorder bonus key?

• Hug
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Actually, the position in the top 10 is based on revenue, not number of units sold. So the higher price of Spidey doesn't have to mean it's actually generating more money.
I'm also a bit confused what we are comparing here. For GOW, Horizon and Days Gone, you seem to count the weeks after release, but for Spidey you also count the pre-order period? That's not a fair comparison, if so.

• Eyes

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Anyone having trouble with the Steam Chat app on Android?
Not been able to log in the past few days, tried reinstalling it, same thing.

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Actually, the position in the top 10 is based on revenue, not number of units sold. So the higher price of Spidey doesn't have to mean it's actually generating more money.
I'm also a bit confused what we are comparing here. For GOW, Horizon and Days Gone, you seem to count the weeks after release, but for Spidey you also count the pre-order period? That's not a fair comparison, if so.

It's based mostly in two main things, the number of weeks it has been on top 10 (the more, the better because it's revenue based as you said) and the fact that it's doing a bit over GOW in terms of reviews, which is surprising but it's almost 1:1 at this moment, so yeah.

As a matter of fact, Neither GOW nor HZD nor Days Gone popped up on pre-orders, I checked just in case, because, as you said too, it would have been unfair.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

It's based mostly in two main things, the number of weeks it has been on top 10 (the more, the better because it's revenue based as you said) and the fact that it's doing a bit over GOW in terms of reviews, which is surprising but it's almost 1:1 at this moment, so yeah.

As a matter of fact, Neither GOW nor HZD nor Days Gone popped up on pre-orders, I checked just in case, because, as you said too, it would have been unfair.
So this is the first time Sony had a game you could pre-order? Interesting.
It's nice to see Sony being rewarded for putting out pretty great ports. Prices are a bit high, but it's clear the Steam market at large has no problems with them.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Still doesn't mean that we know if it generates more money than game xyz without a direct comparison on a launch-aligned chart.
Being #2 on week 5 or #2 on Week 30 could be 100 thousand dollars, could be 10 million dollars, we don't know.

• Eyes

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
It's nice to see Sony being rewarded for putting out pretty great ports. Prices are a bit high, but it's clear the Steam market at large has no problems with them.
no, previous games could be pre ordered too, they didn’t pop up in the charts

• This!
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I misunderstood what Mor said, he meant that the previous ones simply never reached the top 10 charts during their pre-order period.
NEVERMIND MIVEY, I JUST NOTICED I DIDN'T START TRACKING BEFORE HZD'S RELEASE, I checked and it would be 4 weeks instead of 2, which means 2 weeks pre-orders, 2 weeks releases.

Rest are correct though, but HZD was my mistake there, sorry, well, not really sorry, I didn't start doing this back then haha

But yeah, I meant that pre-orders never reached top 10 (except HZD as I just said)
Still doesn't mean that we know if it generates more money than game xyz without a direct comparison on a launch-aligned chart.
Being #2 on week 5 or #2 on Week 30 could be 100 thousand dollars, could be 10 million dollars, we don't know.
True but the fact that it's going so fast not only in positions but also in reviews makes me think it's doing much better + it's higher price tag helps for the revenue count.

Sorry if I made this more confusing than it should :crying-face:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Why i have feeling that Saints Row will be reviewed on PC only and that actually PC version will be one to play just like CP2077? All these PS5 streams are shoving really big technical issues. I just watched stream where there were basically 0 pedestrians on the streets in the city center. That has to be bug.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Saints Row isn't a large scale game. And it won't sell well either, not on Epic or consoles. The social media talk on the game is really quiet too.
Pre-orders are higher than expected tho. I don't think it looks great at all, but it's obviously aimed at the younger Fortnite and GTA online crowd

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Pre-orders are higher than expected tho. I don't think it looks great at all, but it's obviously aimed at the younger Fortnite and GTA online crowd

I know, doesn't mean it's selling well, they could have low expectations too, so exceeding them is easier. Maybe Epics minimum guarantee is part of that percent too.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Even if somehow in some stupid way they decided to count epic bucks I don't really see how reaching a sales target is in any way bad. Even assuming someone sets a low sale target due to low expectation you're still going to aim for profit not for losses, like absolute worst scenario that'd be the BEP, which I honestly doubt.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Even if somehow in some stupid way they decided to count epic bucks I don't really see how reaching a sales target is in any way bad. Even assuming someone sets a low sale target due to low expectation you're still going to aim for profit not for losses, like absolute worst scenario that'd be the BEP, which I honestly doubt.
Though, sometimes devs and pubs, let's say, oversell the hype their games is getting to hopefully set a domino effect in motion that makes their targets a reality.

TSDR: IDGAF about prehype and exceeding expectations without any hard numbers or weeklong stays in revenue-based charts. I can't count the games that tried to market their game as the next big thing that you shouldn't miss, while they were a wet fart come release.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Decided to give Sunset Overdrive a shot. It's a cool game but after playing it for a bit I don't feel motivated to continue.
Maybe it's because I'm just wishing I could play Soul Hackers 2 already, I really need my SMT fix. Finished replaying the DDS duology on PCSX2 a few days ago and now I'm just waiting for the damn game to come out.
I was really getting into The Surge 2 though, it's a shame the PC version is such a mess.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Setting sales target have nothing to do with hype and advertising, you don't put your sales target on twitter going HEY GUYS WE REACHED 2346% OF OUR GOAL

If a company reached a sale target that's a positive for them however low they expected it to be

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
The 118% of target sales of Saints Row was from Embracer's investor call right? If so, Embracer is definitely going to come out on the strongest foot possible given the audience, but it is way too hard to tie that statement to anything tangible. I was about to go on a spiel, but I will read my own dang words and say that is too hard to tie those sort of statements to anything meaningful without further information. That said, I imagine Saints Row will do better now compared to any other month within the past year as there do not seem to be many big releases and I imagine some folks are chomping at the bit to play a big titled release. It will really just come down to its reception at this point.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
They made a change where you can do everything in a private lobby at reduce gains but I think its worth it esp if you got friends.
Well, I'm only starting the sp now, but it's cool to learn you can avoid cheaters in mp now. Not sure many people would still play it, but I will keep it in mind.

Btw, how on earth did no GTA episode features Bobby Brown Goes Down in its playlist ? Shame ! Can a song be more GTA than this ?
At least one character in the series is named Bobby Brown.

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Pocket City is out:

I can recommend it, its a fun, easy, simple city builder. Dont expect much of it, its not super advanced but you CAN continue your cities from the iOS/Android/WinStore versions if you have those (by using the cloud upload service thats integrated: its manual, but doesnt take much time)
Works flawlessly (as far as I can tell) under Linux, as well.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
So why is Fall 2022 a no man’s land for big releases ? Covid slowing down dev ?

update -
PCGamer did a list ! Yeah, shocking, that’s what all sites are good for nowadays, but it’s a nice list. SRPG baybee
Seen a lot of people say this Q4 is quiet but I don’t see how? Heck I’ve seen people say that about this year in general too

but we’ve got top of my head
Pokemon
Mario Rabbids
Bayonetta 3
CoD
Usual annual sports crap
Callisto Protocol
Persona 5 multiplat
God of War
TLOU1 remake
Plague Tale 2
Gotham Knights

most of these things I don’t care about but I’d imagine most will shift significant units and/or review well

(don’t trust my word, I’ve barely played any 2022 games at all so I’m not reflective of anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.