Community MetaSteam | August 2022 - Remember Ringo, With Great Power Comes No Regional Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That would be a huge get for Amazon. I'm guessing a little less than what Activision cost so around 50 billion.

It makes sense. Amazon is the only other company outside of MS that has both gaming ties + $$$ to do something like this. They publish and develop stuff. They have Luna and twitch. Wouldn't surprise me if they make some cheap affordable console in the near future just for EA and streaming stuff. Maybe they can do a cheap handheld device.

All the IP they get to make tv shows is more than worth it for them as well. They are already making Mass Effect show now they can throw in another 5-10 shows to make. Give me a Dead Space, Dragon Age, Titanfall and a Need for Speed show. Prime has NFL thursday streaming rights so Madden could be in better financial shape moving forward.

Up next will be Take-Two and Ubisoft.

Ubisoft has so many employees compared to their revenue I don't how that can be pulled off. Wouldn't surprise me if they are forced to gut half of the company before Microsoft scoops them up after the Activision deal is sealed.

Google and Apple will probably fight over Take-Two.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
STHX kinda cut the wind out of my post with his more educated take on the turn of event, but...
There is a gloriously pathetic side to the whole enchilada if CNN is right.

USA Today: Amazon is gonna gobble EA.
Amazon: Actually, no.

Like being selected last in school sports team.
Uh, I didn't need to remind that :anguished-face:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Many folks think those previous ventures Valve had in the hardware space were only failures but miss the point that if it wasn't for them the Steam Deck couldn't exist today.
The same is true for the Wii U leading to the Switch, the PS3 leading to the PS4, the Xbox One leading to the Series S|X and so on.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
On the one hand.

Soul Hackers 2 having a menu option to manually choose which screen you wanna play the game on is kinda neat.
On the other, it changing your primary screen on an OS level every time you tab in and out is not.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Ubisoft will be asset stripped THQ-style during bankruptcy. Too bloated, the company is flailing and has no proper direction (other than continually fail at chasing "what's popular") and the brand's percieved quality is now in the mud. The "Ubisoft Original' monicker on all their games was supposed to be some sort of prestige titling for their games - isntead it's become a warning to avoid them because the game is probably dull and uninspired.

As for EA, as soon as they gave up the FIFA license I knew they were plumping for a buyout. FIFA may be a moneymaker, but it's not worth a third party buying EA to have, as FIFA could very easily not renew one day and then all that percieved value is gone.

By going with their own brand and getting away with it - and, it seems, they will get away with it - they've not necessarily increased the value of their business, but they have reduced any risks a buyer might flag to try to drag the price down.

Depending on Amazon's appetite to compete with Steam, this could mean the death of the Origin/EA app, or we're about to watch it get pushed really hard.
I was saying this some times ago in regards to Ubisoft:

Other big Publishers have IP's and big developers you can name when talking about a game.
GTAV from Rockstar
Mass Effect from Bioware
Destiny from Bungie
Halo from 343i
Battlefield from Dice
COD from Treyarch/Infinity Ward
Civilization from Firaxis
BATTLETECH from Harebrained Schemes
Total War from Creative Assembly

and then you have...
Assassins creed from Ubisoft... Quebec?
Rainbow Six from Ubisoft... Montreal?
Rayman from Ubisoft... Paris?
Just Dance from Ubisoft... Buxtehude?

And with the marketing failure of the "Ubisoft Formula" (or rather the fast exhaustion of the Formula) you just don't differentiate between the games and throw most of them in the "Ubisoft Formula" trash bin.
they tried to do a Nintendo, but Nintendo Fans are a separate species.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
The frustrating thing with Ubisoft (ignoring their work culture) is that they have a lot of great IP's that are laying dormant (Might and Magic), trying to shoe horn into mobile style money making machines (Settlers), the idiocy of there whole PC strategy and the fact that their "Big" releases seem to just come down to re-skins of the same game over and over again.

EA can be frustrating, heartless money grabbing bastards, but they still release interesting games periodically and seem to allow their devs to go in the direction they want. Like making Fallen Order into a souls like game. Or finally realising they can make single player games and make money from them. Still wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, but I would rather play an EA game (now just stop releasing all your sports games as the last gen versions on PC and stop supporting Rowling and re-release Lord of the Rings The Third Age with a PC release).

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
After checking the list of games that Konami has on Steam, it's probably just games that they already have on Steam becoming available on their own store. For example, the Silent Hill tag would be for... Silent Hill Homecoming... :/
Yep, the phrasing suggests that this is nothing more than exactly this. Selling Steam keys on their own store for games that are already on Steam. Nothing to get excited about here lol.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
they tried to do a Nintendo, but Nintendo Fans are a separate species.
Nintendo also make good games and while people shit on them for re-releasing the same game over and over, the "same game" is basically "the same Metroid game" and "the same Mario game" and "the same Zelda game" (though this one isn't even true as of the most recent new Zelda release). They are all distinct series, each with their own strong sense of identity which Nintendo plays around with for each generational release.

It's not like Ubisoft where Assassin's Creed is fundamentally the same as Far Cry which is fundamentally the same as Watch_Dogs which is fundamentally the same as The Division and so on, and has been for at least the last 10 years.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
After checking the list of games that Konami has on Steam, it's probably just games that they already have on Steam becoming available on their own store. For example, the Silent Hill tag would be for... Silent Hill Homecoming... :/

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

Wild Arms creator Akifumi Kaneko and Shadow Hearts creator Matsuzo Machida are back with new large-scale RPGs Armed Fantasia: To the End of the Wilderness and Penny Blood, and are asking for the community’s support via a “Double Kickstarter” crowdfunding campaign launching on August 29.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm having an issue with Soul Hackers on Steam Deck and the game just freezes and will not pass the initial boot after Changing the rez to 800p.

This has been a know issue for a few weeks now. I was hoping it would have been fixed by launch.

spiel

Apr 17, 2019
If A Short Hike's CE is still in stock when I wake up tomorrow morning, to hell with my cheapskate ways, I'm buying it.

August is ending which means the next content update for My Time at Sandrock will be released soon. Yay!

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So what exactly do people do in Destiny 2 to play the game in hundreds of hours? Im playing through the Beyond Light and Witch Queen expansions durign the free play period, but they will only last me probably 10-15 hours.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
HEY PEOPLE, GET IN HERE!!! ;)

Time to kick some more demon butt in Dude A Turtle (Doom Eternal) today. Still not entirely sure what compelled me to go with the nightmare difficulty but we'll work our way through it.. somehow!:gunblob: Or I'll be a coward and eventually lower the difficulty to ultra violence, you know, one or the other. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Should be starting in about 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.