Community MetaSteam | August 2023 - IT'S MECHA TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

I got darktide at launch
I play it with all of my siblings, was pretty horrible because one of us would constantly disconnect/crash and then it would instantly get filled with a random before they could start the game back up. It's sort of looking like it might be time to pick it up again when all of this comes to fruition
It's sort of sad that they basically took all they learned from Vermintide, Vermintide 2 and then just threw it in the trash and seemingly rushed this out. We were all excited for this but none of us have really touched the game since attempting to try to play it and then getting super frustrated. Their "concept" of more elaborate or individualized classes/characters sounded cool but they were literally just shittier versions of the vermintide classes

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I would imagine they'll just shut and cancel some of the super expensive studios that released absolute shit:

Like volition, they'll just keep the IP etc

To be honest it all sounds doom and gloom but the first half of his statement is about the fiscal year of 2024/2025 for longterm expenditure spending and then they plan on reducing spending for the last part of the fiscal year by 700 million dollars (lol)

So that's cancelling projects and closing studios. They own more than 76 game studios according to google

So that's like 9.5 million dollars a project which is kind of peanuts for some things in the grand scheme of stuff in terms of game costs now a days, so I mean

It doesn't sound THAT bad in context but it's just huge numbers

But It's not like I want any studios to close but we had already had the deluge of tech layoffs in the US earlier in the year so I'm not really super surprised

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I mean sure, there's a possibility that a Ballmer and Mattrick-era combo of colossal stupidity takes over the company and Xbox again. I mean, if you let a gorilla in a suit become CEO, then one stint with a competent successor is not gonna fix the rot that allowed that to happen in the first place.

But on the flipside, I know it's a bit of a meme to say Xbox is doomed, but Xbox literally is fucked six ways from Sunday if they can't push the envelope on Game Pass subscriptions. Their entire future as an ecosystem gatekeeper in gaming rests on Game Pass becoming sustainable and successful. If they fail, Microsoft just becomes a supersized third party publisher on other people's platforms, and frankly they're half-way there anyway.

In the end, Xbox and gaming is so inconsequential to Microsoft's bottom line that, if any future dumbass leadership team don't even see potential to build their own walled garden, they may just carve it all up and sell it off in the future anyway.

Honestly with how penny-pinching Microsoft is outside of doing the minimum "pro-consumer" gesturing possible, I have no faith in the management of said company. Like I am extremely cautiously skeptical of Starfield especially with the gameplay that we've seen.

Setting aside Game Pass and how their first party games haven't been great at all lately (Because honestly, that's more of a symptom of publicly traded companies in the past 10 years if you look at everything else):

• Their console UI has become increasingly more incoherent over the years. They got like several different ways of doing the same thing, and their settings menu makes things difficult to find any settings. App/Game pinning likewise I've seen others confused by.
  • They don't allow replacing the internal drives of their consoles (Which are using standard formats), because they want you to only use their overpriced proprietary external drives (The same thing people gave the Vita flack for, which somehow isn't an issue here)
  • Xbox controllers still lack gyro or the play and charge kit that's needed to even charge through the USB port, because Microsoft got paid out by Duracell to actively make their controllers worse and more overpriced (Not even mentioning price of rechargable AAs, and the ridiculously long time they take to charge).
  • Xbox still lacks Bluetooth headset or USB audio support, meaning if you want a headset or use your Xbox on a monitor, you're either stuck to the 3.5mm jack, or something like the Sound Blaster X G6 or SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless where they have an optical out connection.
  • Windows 11 has become such a massive unstable mess (not even taking UX into account) to work with, where enough to where most people are either sticking with Windows 10, downgrading back to 10, or just moving to Linux. Basic features like a vertical taskbar are still MIA.
  • Their Xbox PC client is such a mess that people would rather just have their games on Steam. What they tried with Games for Windows Live isn't going to work this time either. Even their PC ports lack extensive controller support and only support XInput and limited rebinding 99% of the time, despite Microsoft talking up about accessibility.
  • The process of downloading a digital game, let alone a physical copy with patches is a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I was helping a relative install Mortal Kombat XI on their Xbox with the physical copy that comes with the DLC, and I was waiting not only for an install, but another download of 64GB of data. Just for the download to fail and not work on multiple occasions. Same thing happened for HiFi Rush on Game Pass on my PC, I just gave up and bought the game on Steam because every time I verified the files, it got worse.
  • They couldn't even get their more obscure original Xbox games on their back compat list, such as Brute Force. They're selective with their idea of game preservation at best. I know JSRF has song licensing issues, so I won't mention that one.

Like I can confidently say that even if Xbox put their stuff exclusively on their consoles again, I still wouldn't be interested in their output. I didn't have 90-99% of these issues on PlayStation or even the Switch.

What ever happened to Xbox's push for KB/M support on consoles, or VR?
Microsofts big gamble is a digital only cloud streaming future. That is really where they are positioning everything for themselves and gamepass. They acquire so much ip, content and devs. They expect a streaming like future in which consumer end hardware will not exist (except a controller). So gamepass app on every home tv and tablets/phones. They are basically pushing themselves to be a gaming Roku/Netflix in the future.

I don't know if we ever reach a future like that. Its possible since internet and streaming technology continues to improve worldwide. But its still at least 10-20 years away so they are just gonna ride the console storm for now. Them going all in on PC is the smartest decision Xbox has made since existence. Their profits and revenue would be terrible right now if they still tried to push the 2007-2013 bs.

But yea I would love a return to traditional console gaming that used to be simple plug n play. I don't think that is possible anymore with how physical is pretty much dead. I bet both next gen consoles will be digital only. And that will just push MS/Sony to make living room PCs in all but name. Simple plug n play has no chance unless they can get some type of new cartridge/disc system into the mix. Its sad but the old days of just popping in a PS1 and PS2 disc...and immediately playing is no more. A lot of young modern gamers don't know how good that experience was. All reliance is now on the cloud and streaming. But it kind of defeats the point. And gamepass/cloud will inevitably become more n more expensive.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I tried out CSSLoader Desktop today, basically a Desktop port of the Decky plugin. Comes with its own "store" of themes you can find here: Home - DeckThemes Docs.

Really neat how well it works too, once you install it (needs some "Developer mode" activated the first time you run it, though). Sadly not too many things to chose from yet on the Desktop side, but this feels far more powerful than Steam Skins ever were, with true modularity and tons of options you can tweak on the go.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I tried out CSSLoader Desktop today, basically a Desktop port of the Decky plugin. Comes with its own "store" of themes you can find here: Home - DeckThemes Docs.

Really neat how well it works too, once you install it (needs some "Developer mode" activated the first time you run it, though). Sadly not too many things to chose from yet on the Desktop side, but this feels far more powerful than Steam Skins ever were, with true modularity and tons of options you can tweak on the go.
yup, yup, yup! :) been using it for like 2 months now, it's great :D

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
Fate Samurai Renmant gameplay video

The final enemy is the rider servant while the emblems on the armor point to her (?) being a Takeda clan member i'm coping REALLY hard it's actually Raikou as a Rider servant

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Anyone ordered Starfield special edition off of CDKeys? I see in my country it is the same price as the standard Steam copy. So $30 off.

Wondering if previous early access copies of games give the key at early access or do they only get key with the standard launch day?
I asked the same thing a few days ago, but got mixed responses. I've never pre-ordered from them just bought random keys, but from people I know, they've honoured the launch date every time.

My payment didn't go through this time and they couldn't fix it, so I checked around and got a pre-order from the Fanatical store instead. Site says key should be available Sept 1st. Depending on your region it might also be at similar or even better price than CD Keys.

Reactions: kafiend

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I asked the same thing a few days ago, but got mixed responses. I've never pre-ordered from them just bought random keys, but from people I know, they've honoured the launch date every time.

My payment didn't go through this time and they couldn't fix it, so I checked around and got a pre-order from the Fanatical store instead. Site says key should be available Sept 1st. Depending on your region it might also be at similar or even better price than CD Keys.
Thanks, CDkeys has been absolutely fine for normal game launches, bought many games day 1 in the past. This was just the first one for me that has technically two launch days.

Reactions: inky

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, lol. That was my question too: How they were gonna handle the EA period? That's definitely the main appeal of the more expensive edition.

I got gamepass, so by the time that first expansion is out, game will be probably be discounted a few times already... but in this case I prefer to play it on Steam from the get go.

Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Fate Samurai Renmant gameplay video

The final enemy is the rider servant while the emblems on the armor point to her (?) being a Takeda clan member i'm coping REALLY hard it's actually Raikou as a Rider servant

If it's a female from Takeda, my money would be on Matsuhime. Daughter of Shingen and "wife" to Oda Nobutada.

Takeda wasn't around in Minamoto Yorimitsu's (Raikou) time, so from a history standpoint it makes no sense to put a Takeda emblem anywhere near Raikou. She wouldn't even know what that is. It wasn't until 100 years later with Minamoto Yoshimitsu that Takeda branched off.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Honestly question,which is the best way to play RDR1?

There are multiple ways to emulate it (I also have the game digitally on my Xbox Series X).

Which is the best way to play on the Steam Deck and the best way to play on desktop. I'm not sure if my PC would even be able to hit 60fps on the game.

Reactions: xxr

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

I got darktide at launch
I play it with all of my siblings, was pretty horrible because one of us would constantly disconnect/crash and then it would instantly get filled with a random before they could start the game back up. It's sort of looking like it might be time to pick it up again when all of this comes to fruition
It's sort of sad that they basically took all they learned from Vermintide, Vermintide 2 and then just threw it in the trash and seemingly rushed this out. We were all excited for this but none of us have really touched the game since attempting to try to play it and then getting super frustrated. Their "concept" of more elaborate or individualized classes/characters sounded cool but they were literally just shittier versions of the vermintide classes

this is why I find the whole Darktide situation so sad. They had the perfect base to start with in Vermintide. The presentation was there, the gunplay was there and yet they apparently chucked everything else out.

I hope they can turn it around, I love 40K and the guard are still one of my favourite armies. But this was still my biggest disappointment and f last year.

I may go back around its anniversary and see how it is doing but it has a lot of work to do to win me back.

• This!
Reactions: Madventure

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
If it's a female from Takeda, my money would be on Matsuhime. Daughter of Shingen and "wife" to Oda Nobutada.

Takeda wasn't around in Minamoto Yorimitsu's (Raikou) time, so from a history standpoint it makes no sense to put a Takeda emblem anywhere near Raikou. She wouldn't even know what that is. It wasn't until 100 years later with Minamoto Yoshimitsu that Takeda branched off.
Yeah that’s why I’m copying hard.
That said they could still do a Raikou-face I guess or something like Taira Kagekiyo + Ushiwakamaru.

but most likely it’s gonna be a normal Takeda…

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Honestly question,which is the best way to play RDR1?

There are multiple ways to emulate it (I also have the game digitally on my Xbox Series X).

Which is the best way to play on the Steam Deck and the best way to play on desktop. I'm not sure if my PC would even be able to hit 60fps on the game.
I still recommend play it on Series X but emulate it on xenia is so great too.

patches archives:

1. Make a new folder and extract the xenia_canary.zip. It only contains an .exe file. Run it once and then close it.

2. You'll see a file named xenia-canary.config created. Open it with a text editor like Notepad or something similar. We'll make a few changes:

- Look for the "vsync" value. By default, it's set to true, so change it to false. This is to bypass the FPS lock and try to get as close to 60 FPS as possible.

- OPTIONAL: If you want to change the resolution, find "draw_resolution_scale_x" and "draw_resolution_scale_y". By default, they're set to 1. If you want to run the game in 2K, set them to 2. If you want to push your machine to the max, set both values to 3.

- Make sure the "apply_patches" value is set to true. This is for the Extra Settings explained below.

3. Extract Red Dead Redemption along with its 2 DVDs in the same folder. The first DVD is the main game, and the second one is the Undead Nightmare expansion.

4. Open xenia_canary.exe, go to File -> Open in the top left corner, and select the DVD you want.

5. And there you go, time to play. You don't even need to configure your controller; it should detect it automatically, whether it's from PS4, Xbox, or any other brand.

EXTRA SETTINGS

1. Extract the "Game Patches" .zip into the same folder where you have Xenia, meaning the "patches" folder itself.

2. Locate and open the 5454082B - Red Dead Redemption (GOTY, Disc 1).patch file using Notepad from the patches folder, or the one named Disc 2 for the DLC. Here you can modify the "is_enabled" value from false to true to enable or disable the following:

- The "Unlock FPS" value lets you unlock FPS to reach 60 if your hardware allows.

- The "Disable Depth of Field & Motion Blur" value lets you remove typical blurring effects seen in many games. This is optional, but I prefer turning these off in all games.

- The "16x Anisotropic Filtering" value forces anisotropic filtering to reduce aliasing.

- The "360p Mode, 480p Mode, and 540p Mode" values lower the game's resolution significantly, which sacrifices visuals for performance. Choose the one that suits you best.

- The "Disable Sun Flare" value turns off sun rays effects. Deactivating it gains performance but reduces the game's charm.

- The "No Trees - Performance Mode" value removes trees from the game. It looks like a wasteland but significantly boosts performance.

- The "Disable Shadows" value turns off shadows, improving performance at the cost of no shadows.

- The "Higher Quality Post Processing" value unlocks extra graphical effects, but requires powerful hardware.

- The values "Alternative Script Timing & Asset Garbage Collection" and "Use Separate Audio Heap" might provide extra performance on a low-power CPU. These can sometimes help but not always.

- The rest of the values aren't important or are cheats, like infinite horse stamina or unlimited ammo. Use as you like.

3. As an extra, while playing, pressing F6 opens a screen where you can activate AMD FSR and NVIDIA FXAA. You can leave it as default or adjust the values to suit your PC's performance or desired sharpness.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I still recommend play it on Series X but emulate it on xenia is so great too.

patches archives:

1. Make a new folder and extract the xenia_canary.zip. It only contains an .exe file. Run it once and then close it.

2. You'll see a file named xenia-canary.config created. Open it with a text editor like Notepad or something similar. We'll make a few changes:

- Look for the "vsync" value. By default, it's set to true, so change it to false. This is to bypass the FPS lock and try to get as close to 60 FPS as possible.

- OPTIONAL: If you want to change the resolution, find "draw_resolution_scale_x" and "draw_resolution_scale_y". By default, they're set to 1. If you want to run the game in 2K, set them to 2. If you want to push your machine to the max, set both values to 3.

- Make sure the "apply_patches" value is set to true. This is for the Extra Settings explained below.

3. Extract Red Dead Redemption along with its 2 DVDs in the same folder. The first DVD is the main game, and the second one is the Undead Nightmare expansion.

4. Open xenia_canary.exe, go to File -> Open in the top left corner, and select the DVD you want.

5. And there you go, time to play. You don't even need to configure your controller; it should detect it automatically, whether it's from PS4, Xbox, or any other brand.

EXTRA SETTINGS

1. Extract the "Game Patches" .zip into the same folder where you have Xenia, meaning the "patches" folder itself.

2. Locate and open the 5454082B - Red Dead Redemption (GOTY, Disc 1).patch file using Notepad from the patches folder, or the one named Disc 2 for the DLC. Here you can modify the "is_enabled" value from false to true to enable or disable the following:

- The "Unlock FPS" value lets you unlock FPS to reach 60 if your hardware allows.

- The "Disable Depth of Field & Motion Blur" value lets you remove typical blurring effects seen in many games. This is optional, but I prefer turning these off in all games.

- The "16x Anisotropic Filtering" value forces anisotropic filtering to reduce aliasing.

- The "360p Mode, 480p Mode, and 540p Mode" values lower the game's resolution significantly, which sacrifices visuals for performance. Choose the one that suits you best.

- The "Disable Sun Flare" value turns off sun rays effects. Deactivating it gains performance but reduces the game's charm.

- The "No Trees - Performance Mode" value removes trees from the game. It looks like a wasteland but significantly boosts performance.

- The "Disable Shadows" value turns off shadows, improving performance at the cost of no shadows.

- The "Higher Quality Post Processing" value unlocks extra graphical effects, but requires powerful hardware.

- The values "Alternative Script Timing & Asset Garbage Collection" and "Use Separate Audio Heap" might provide extra performance on a low-power CPU. These can sometimes help but not always.

- The rest of the values aren't important or are cheats, like infinite horse stamina or unlimited ammo. Use as you like.

3. As an extra, while playing, pressing F6 opens a screen where you can activate AMD FSR and NVIDIA FXAA. You can leave it as default or adjust the values to suit your PC's performance or desired sharpness.
I think that Switch Emulator is now best way to play the game on PC. Less demanding, easier to setup. And works fine.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Based of what Digital Foundry have said, and based of what we got in the end. I'm guessing that RDR was going to get a proper remaster, how ever take 2 didn't want to invest to much money into the port (resources).

It is a "bare bones port" and one that still does have some issues (of which I'm guessing that they will be patched and will hopefully make it on the physical copies of this game and if they don't then that's even less of a reason to get those physical copies. But at least the game run decently and that's about all that they need and most likely all that take 2 really cares about.

Based of what John from DF said, he said that the porting team is rather capable of showing results when porting games (not releasing piss poor ports) .

Maybe they just were not given access to certain assets (or those assets got lost). Didn't Durante say something years about about Ys VIII and better audio quality (music?) But the issue came from it getting lost or something and there for when PH3 was porting the game that they could only work with what they had at the time.

If take 2 did in fact choose to just spend less money on the ports (deciding to no longer be remasters) then would it makes sense for the porting team to choose not to go above and beyond and should stick to "their pay grade".

In regards to multiple it's said that fans are disappointed it was not included and I agree that without it you are missing a part of the game. And this may also support the whole lack of funding thing/interest from Take 2 of making the game as good of an experience as possible.

I just think all of this is a real shame is all.

Any way I think today and tomorrow I'm going to "try" both of the Xenia and Yuzu (would Ryujunx be better?) To find out which is the best way to play the game.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Honestly with how penny-pinching Microsoft is outside of doing the minimum "pro-consumer" gesturing possible, I have no faith in the management of said company. Like I am extremely cautiously skeptical of Starfield especially with the gameplay that we've seen.
-snip-
Like I can confidently say that even if Xbox put their stuff exclusively on their consoles again, I still wouldn't be interested in their output. I didn't have 90-99% of these issues on PlayStation or even the Switch.

What ever happened to Xbox's push for KB/M support on consoles, or VR?
Microsoft fundamentally doesn't understand the role of the consumer. I don't mean that they're anti-consumer, I mean they don't understand that products are supposed to be desirable to the people they expect to spend money on them, instead treating products like forces made to change how a given market works in their favor. They will shell out billions of dollars to make deals and expand the reach for a games service that can't install games reliably and wonder why it isn't taking off.

Jonas

Nov 18, 2022
Outside of having to enable experimental mode (or something) to help with crashes I luckily didn’t have many technical problems. I took a break after 300+hours soon after they released the last two maps, this could be nice but me and my friend feels like there needs to get more stuff before we jump back.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
3rd straight weekend with at least over 700k concurrent for BG3.

Gotta be the most impressive hold for a Steam launch ever in terms of rpgs.

Cyberpunk and Elden Ring were less than half their peaks going into the 3rd week so this performance is really crazy.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I haven't been gaming much these last couple of weeks, it's too hot and I can't wait for autumn to come and save us. I did manage to finish Warhammer 40K Space Marine, a very solid shooter. Its only real issue is that it is a 360/PS3-era game and it shows as the levels are claustrophobic and bland. I am now quite interested in the sequel. The world of Warhammer 40k is very well suited for games (I know, duh).

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
3rd straight weekend with at least over 700k concurrent for BG3.

Gotta be the most impressive hold for a Steam launch ever in terms of rpgs.

Cyberpunk and Elden Ring were less than half their peaks going into the 3rd week so this performance is really crazy.
It has some insane holds. Just to show how strong it's retaining users:

Cyberpunk 2077
Week 1 peak: 1054k
Week 2 peak: 564k (-46%)
Week 3 peak: 328k (-41%)

Elden Ring
Week 1 peak: 891k
Week 2 peak: 953k (+7%)
Week 3 peak: 825k (-13%)

Hogwarts Legacy
Week 1 peak: 879k
Week 2 peak: 527k (-40%)
Week 3 peak: 317k (-40%)

Baldur's Gate 3
Week 1 peak: 814k
Week 2 peak: 875k (+7%)
Week 3 peak: 813k (-7%)

If BG3 were a movie, it would have Avatar like legs (but it obviously won't be the best selling game of all time) . Starfield will probably clip its wings when it releases, but right now it's having a legendary performance.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Something that always flys under the radar in the conversation of larians success is that the multi-player opened the genre up to a whole new audience of casual gamers.

In the cases of original sin 2 and baldurs gate I had very casual gamer girls who mostly play valorant, phasmophobia and among us approach me with questions about it and then being totally excited to play it.

I played a whole campaign of original sin 2 with 2 of them and we had insane fun together.

Despite being a hardcore, highly mechanical, complex and challenging crpg, it has an extremely casual mainstream audience too.

That all on the back of its multi-player, and the open natured mechanics that allows a lot of self expression and "casual fun".

Which is why it's so extremely hilarious when you see the fucking nerds of resetera talk about how it got boosted by utilizing the legendary baldurs gate ip, like lmfao 90% of the player base never heard of baldurs gate before this game. Half of them weren't even born when Baldurs Gate 2 came out.

Larian had luck this larian had many devs there blabla

No, larian managed to take what's a very deeply single player rooted experience, brought it into the modern world of coop games, and managed to pull it of in a way that not only didn't harm what makes it a good single player game, but even made it a better single player game for it too.

Larian basically created a new genre that is coop crpg's, simultaneously pulled it off so well that no one will be able to reach their level of quality if anyone would even try, AND tapped into the massive well of brand new Dungeons of Dragons fans that stranger things and subsequent peer pressure by its fans conjured into existence these last years. (I, reversely, just started to watch stranger things because of it lol)

Larian deserves every single ounce of success they're getting, they worked their way to the top through talent, sweat, and smart decision making, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, unlike every other crpg or most ARPGs even, the sandboxy nature of larians games makes them insanely streamable, which is great for marketing too.

It's got the minecraft "look at the insane thing someone did in this game" level of shareability that's very rare for this kind of game.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I just got my Starfield key from GMG! I'm in Act 3 of BG3 now, so I should be done my first playthrough by the time it comes out.
Just got mine too. I’ve actually got nothing on the cards at the moment, having just finished Viewfinder.

May do a replay of Citizen Sleeper to check out the DLC in advance of the sequel. Shouldn’t take me 9 days…

Last edited:
Reactions: Dandy
Status
Not open for further replies.