Community MetaSteam | February 2022 - Good night, and good luck, Lowly Tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
All this Elden Ring hype makes even me want to try it even though I hate hard games. Heard it was more open world this time and that makes me very curious.
It is open world, with great freedom to bypass bosses and dungeons. And both quite massive and dense at that, going on the CNT and Gameinformer's preview reports.

The design philosophy seems to be to have hard enemies, yes, but no reason to bash your head against the wall repeatedly. If Boss X is too much for you (and they will be; two of them are already known to be brutal!), just go pick on somebody your size, somewhere else, and come back 30 levels later, with entirely new tricks up your sleeve.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
So like where is No More Heroes 3 for PC?

I thought we were supposed to have gotten that already? Was it on the Nvidia leak?
My estimation was around this month taking into consideration the other Xseed timing, so yeah, I think it is likely we will get some news either this month or next month.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

I thought we were supposed to have gotten that already? Was it on the Nvidia leak?
TSA took about 9 months to be released on Steam. I don't know if that was because Nintendo had exclusivity for that long, or if it just worked out that way.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I wonder how many concurrent users Elden Ring will reach as it is one of the most wishlisted games.

Dying Light 2 has been doing well, I think it peaked past 250k so Elden Ring may reach similar numbers.
It is also at #3 or 4 on the global top sellers list, even as a preorder:

That gives me warm fuzzies, because ER ignores many tropes and mechanics I abhor to the point of nausea that seem considered mandatory for mainstream appeal by many publishers, like quest markers and general HUD clutter, quest handholding / preemption over whatever you're doing, level scaling, difficulty levels based on bullet-sponginess, traversal/climbing based on predefined spots* instead of creative use of movement abilities, etcetera. And everything I have seen and heard of what it does hits the right notes for me.

If is becomes massively successful, maybe it will influence mainstream games for the better... </sheer optimism>

* edit, OK, there are spirit springs in ER, for scaling cliffs. I was referring to more ordinary movement; like the difference between Rope Arrow in Thief 1 and 2 vs Thief 4 reboot (2014).

Reason: arguing with myself about predefined climbing spots in ER.
Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
The main thing I'm curious about Elden Ring is how they used GRRM and his storytelling prowess. Gameplay-wise it'll mostly be the same we're used to for the past decade and I'm confident they'll deliver once again.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I wonder how many concurrent users Elden Ring will reach as it is one of the most wishlisted games.

Dying Light 2 has been doing well, I think it peaked past 250k so Elden Ring may reach similar numbers.
I'm going to take a wild guess that it will at least reach 300k.

I'm guessing that they are not even going to offer a pre-load option.

I wonder how the EAC and denuvo will affect sales (maybe not really at all?)

I just hope that it's able to run on Steam Deck and if it can't because of EAC...... Well then From just really goofed up especially because they likely would never adjust the game in order to work. From the looks of it, the other Dark Souls games are playable, but also with that hopefully their "fix" doesn't do something where those are also not playable.

It's just a real shame as to what has happened. And like I said before even though Souls like sells very well on PC, it sometimes feels like From just ignores certain aspects of it. They likely would not have done anything about the Remote executable, but as news and stuff got out and how well Elden Ring will end up selling and the fact that the Dark Souls games are still able to move units, they didn't want anything to happen to their cash cow.

By the way their was this lewd game that was banned (or at least it was rejected from Steam review) but the thing is that the game was available to purchase on the eShop on Switch in Japan. So maybe it was a censorship thing or something like that (with Nintendo being okay with lewd games but Valve not being okay with it).

It may have just ended there but no, so something ended up happening because the game was eventually suspended from the Japanese eShop. So that is really weird just because the only other games that was something like that was Mary Skelter where some stuff was removed from the PC version despite it being available on the Switch. The biggest thing that I just found weird is how Nintendo seems to be okay with certain things but Valve doesn't seem to be.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I wonder how the EAC and denuvo will affect sales (maybe not really at all?)
ER will use EAC, that much is established, but I never saw anything about Denuvo, nor can I find anything now. Do you have a source saying ER will use Denuvo?
The main thing I'm curious about Elden Ring is how they used GRRM and his storytelling prowess. Gameplay-wise it'll mostly be the same we're used to for the past decade and I'm confident they'll deliver once again.
GRRM was locked away in a dark dungeon and whipped until he finished writing a foundational heroic mythology which he traded for his freedom. Once he saw the sun again, he took a deep breath, and gleefully went back to not finishing his books.

Then, Miyazaki took over, added a few thousand years of decay to the setting, and twisted GRRM's mighty heroes into the fearsome monstrosities the player will face.

edit for sources: Long Long Ago… | Not a Blog (the rest is told by Miyazaki in interviews; I won't look them up right now because I really should be working instead of discussing ER :-( )

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
ER will use EAC, that much is established, but I never saw anything about Denuvo, nor can I find anything now. Do you have a source saying ER will use Denuvo?
I saw somewhere that it has something to do with the EULA. But I think it still was not published yet so those details are not on the Steam store page or something like that.

I just remember hearing about it somewhere but I don't remember where. I guess once it's release day we will find out what ended up happening.

• Eyes

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I saw somewhere that it has something to do with the EULA. But I think it still was not published yet so those details are not on the Steam store page or something like that.

I just remember hearing about it somewhere but I don't remember where. I guess once it's release day we will find out what ended up happening.
The EULA is published and lists EAC as 3rd party software; that's it. END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

Everything remains possible until the very last minute, of course, but right now there is no reason whatsoever to think Denuvo will be involved. There are threads on reddit and steam speculating about it on general grounds, of course, which is where one might get that idea, but that's the full extent of the case.

• Eyes

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I'm curious as to why there are duplicates of DL2 in all those lists; for the lists I posted above I assumed it was different editions, but here the UE is distinguished and there are still five other entries. What gives?

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020

It wasn't but Suda himself confirmed that it's a timed exclusive in an interview with Destructoid. Anyway, they still haven't fixed NMH1/2 so I wouldn't expect it before those are fixed.

• Eyes

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The game has now sold over 200k copies!!!!!!

This game was delayed by a few months already (I'm guessing to iron out some things and based off reviews and how much it has sold that'd very good news. It was originally going to release in June last year)

So within 2 weeks this Japanese indie game which is only on Steam has sold over 200k units world wide. That's pretty crazy. It already managed to sell 100k in it's first week alone.

By the way from my understanding, WSS went from being a small doujin circle (making games) to now being an indie publisher? In the past some of the stuff that they were involved in was published by Playing.

Last edited:
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I'm curious as to why there are duplicates of DL2 in all those lists; for the lists I posted above I assumed it was different editions, but here the UE is distinguished and there are still five other entries. What gives?
There are 3 skus for this game and Steam does separate the skus when they are pre-orders and when they are day 1/post day 1 sales.

So it's pretty much:
3 skus from pre-orders
3 skus from day 1 or better sales
It wasn't but Suda himself confirmed that it's a timed exclusive in an interview with Destructoid. Anyway, they still haven't fixed NMH1/2 so I wouldn't expect it before those are fixed.
Xseed has released a notification that there's a patch for NMH1 and 2 coming that fixes quite a few things, so yeah, expect it soon-ish?

About that Destructoid interview, I had no idea he confirmed it was a timed.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Everyone I know who claimed that 24" or 27" 1080p is terrible, pixelated etc; later turns out they sit 5-10 cm from the monitor, no shit you can count pixels especially with 2cm thick glasses.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Nope, as far as I know they're fixed values.

Quality: 66.6 % of your Native/Selected Rez.
Balanced: 58%
Performance: 50%
Ultra-Performance: 33.3%
Ohh, Ultra-Performance is one-third of the target resolution? I was hearing it was one-ninth, or about 11.1%. Square-cube factoring is screwy.
It's still impressive, but not as mush so since at 33% scale the square pixels in the ground texture are still mostly visible.

• Eyes

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! BO7AMMOOD is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Feb 6, 2022 at 8:30 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

River City Ransom: Underground

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Does DLSS have some kind of cutoff point for how low it will make the resolution to upsample from? Because I can't believe this is upsampled from 1/9th of 1440p.

(I'm not really playing with ultra performance mode, I just noticed this while flipping through the settings.)
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, so I'm just using this post as an excuse to post this fun video about Control in super low resolutions and DLSS 2.0.

It's absolutely insane how well everything resolves at 512x288 already.

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Playing Gears Tactics:

Me: Picks up a weapon with finite ammo.
Also me: Uses 90% of ammo then uses a skill to replenish all ammo.
Game: I like how you are thinking outside the box so here's a hard lock. Have fun rebooting the game and replaying this whole section. Fuck you!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Partnered may be too strong a word, but they "Helped" Epic out by allowing their store to be available on EGS . And Epic claimed to be supportive of NFT's after Steam came out and said they wouldn't allow them.

Anyway.

Now that all that horrible and icky NFT talk is out of the way, on to other horrible and icky talk, the Metaverse.

Interesting video with some interesting thoughts I hadn't considered. For example how Fortnite has lost it's own identity after chasing Marvel, Disney, DC and so on (even though that is the side that now attracts me to the game and yest it shows some aspects of the Metaverse do work, in my case Geekdom).

So after watching this I hope the metaverse dies a fast yet horrible and painful death.
How come Avatar Zucc looks more human than Actual Zucc

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Ohh, Ultra-Performance is one-third of the target resolution? I was hearing it was one-ninth, or about 11.1%. Square-cube factoring is screwy.
It's still impressive, but not as mush so since at 33% scale the square pixels in the ground texture are still mostly visible.
Ultra-Performance is one-third on each axis, so one-ninth total.

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah Mafia DE Race Mission on Classic and Simulation really is BS. I have nothing against challenging sections in games as long as they are fair. Race mission is not fair because many parts of it are pure RNG. From first bend to NPC crashes. Also your car spins too damn easy and it can behave like damn tank in some bends.

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
EdwardTivrusky

I ended up installing Skyrim (Special Edition) after all lol. Too late to do anything with it tonight, but tomorrow I'll start modding and get it set up I hope.

Wonder if I can get all 75 Achievements just like I did for the OG Skyrim.
Ed was a huge help in getting my skyrim set up...and then i forgot i set the game up until i read this post hahahahaha

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I hope ubi comes to some kind of realisation soon, that the best way out of their financial desperation is to make actual fantastic games again. They pretty much set the standard for open world games, would love to see them innovate it!
I think branding is the problem.

There is no Naughty Dog, a Sony Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.
There is no inXile, a Microsoft Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.
There is no Blizzard, an Actiblizz Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.
There is no Bioware, an EA Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.
There is no Colossal Order, a Paradox Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.
There is no Firaxis, a Take-Two Studio releasing title X, there is only Ubisoft.

Either bad games or good games, the majority of gamers and press differentiate between the Developers and studios in other big Publishers.
Ubisoft... is just Ubisoft. "everything" is an Ubisoft game. that was a plus when the "Ubisoft Formula" was the hot new thing. but it bites them in the arse and the Studios have no separate identity.
Sure, there are outliers like Anno, but that is basically it.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Best run yet

Ubisoft... is just Ubisoft.
Yeah, all their shit just blends together. I don't even bother to find out if there is the "good" studio behind Far Cry or AC. You could tell me the same studio makes Siege, that new Rainbow Six game, The Division, Ghost Recon whatever, xdefiant and Hyperlame and I'd believe you.

It makes no difference. And that's what they want lol

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I'm not sure what exactly you are asking, so I'm just using this post as an excuse to post this fun video about Control in super low resolutions and DLSS 2.0.

It's absolutely insane how well everything resolves at 512x288 already.
I found it crazy that DLSS could reconstruct the ground and pickups having large, chunky pixels from an image I thought was 11% the original resolution;

But now I know it's actually upsampling from 33% of the original resolution, which while still impressive, doesn't mean as much since at that scale the big pixels on the ground are still visible.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Tomorrow is the day.

One of the cool things about this month is the Steam Deck and as we have seen, there seems to be a lot of people that don't know what it is and expect it to fail (it's to heavy/big and won't get support and stuff)

It seems that some people that pre-ordered one initially may end up cancelling their orders and stuff like that.

There even seem to be some people that do show some interest but have not placed a pre-order yet and say they are waiting for a wide retail release before they purchase one.

So what I'm most curious about is say when the reviews for it go up and by Feb 25th which is when all the reviews for it will be up and such and if the vast majority of the people that are reviewing the device end up praising the device. Not only that but say the first patch of people that end up getting a consumer version also end up really liking it.

If that happens will we end up seeing say a huge wave of people trying to order one then, and you end up with people having to wait until 2023?

Anyway the reviews are one of the thing that I'm looking forward to the most.

Most likely one of the biggest complaints that the device could get would be something about how it would be an amazing companion device for people that only own say just a PS5,XSX, and Switch. And don't own any other consoles or that own a gaming PC type of stuff.

Most likely a Steam Deck is not a great idea as a stand alone device (daily driver type of thing) but as a companion device it would just work out really well for those games that those other systems don't have and or/ have to wait months/years in order to get (so a lot of indie games)

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah, all their shit just blends together. I don't even bother to find out if there is the "good" studio behind Far Cry or AC. You could tell me the same studio makes Siege, than new Rainbow Six game, The Division, Ghost Recon whatever, xdefiant and Hyperlame and I'd believe you.

It makes no difference. And that's what they want lol
Yep, it all starts to blend together

do you want the historical open world?
The modern sci fi open world?
The military shooter open world?
The FPS open world?

it’s like Monty Python up in here

Status
Not open for further replies.