Community MetaSteam | February 2022 - Good night, and good luck, Lowly Tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah Mafia DE Race Mission on Classic and Simulation really is BS. I have nothing against challenging sections in games as long as they are fair. Race mission is not fair because many parts of it are pure RNG. From first bend to NPC crashes. Also your car spins too damn easy and it can behave like damn tank in some bends.
Did you play the original? it was hard as hell before it got patched lol

I love this video I found years later. It shows a professional race driver (Roman Rusinov) trying to win the race (turn on subs):

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Dying Light 2 is playable and fun, but oh boy it needed a couple more passes to polish things. So many "non-critical" bugs, including hovering over a quest icon in the map and it having the title “as_sparker_2”

Same thing with the story…. Whoever edited all the obvious rewrites together didn’t do the best job, including having many NPC expressing opposite reactions in the same dialog sequence.

Even in the main story sequences there are several bizarre events. In one conversation you are talking to person A, then turn around to talk to person B, to which you then ask:

“Where is Person A?”

“Oh, he/she is there on the rooftop”. And then you turn around again and the person you were just talking to is now three buildings away.

Still having a lot of fun, especially with traversal, but the development mess is very apparent. At least with these sales they will probably support and patch it a lot.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hope that rumored Goldeneye remaster release is true and comes to Steam. No joke I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time lol
It's real in that achievements for it leaked a month ago, and the achievements were gotten by people who work at Rare in October 2021, so fairly recently.
It's very likely the Xbox 360 remaster that leaked a while back, just with a new cheevo list and maybe a bit more work done so hopefully it's actually native and not backcompat so Steam version will also then be possible.

I guess someone noticed that people wanted that, and since Nintendo and Xbox are buddy buddy now, there shouldn't be issues on that front. Just leaves the Bond people and I'm sure they would love to have a Bond game out there, it's been a while and they haven't really been great most of the time.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and pinson

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Hope that rumored Goldeneye remaster release is true and comes to Steam. No joke I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time lol
Is it another remaster, or the Xbox 360 one that was actually leaked a few months back?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Anybody get a chance to try out Sifu?

Seems like it could be good fun, but I keep seeing 'souls--like, but not' bandied about and, I'm not big on that style of game

• Eyes

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
That feels like it leaked a year ago but it's been barely a month, lmao

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Hrmmmhmhmhm...
I wonder if Intel's XESS tech being open source means developers can do funky things with it. Like using it in the reconstruction step for alternative upsampling methods like interlaced and checkerboard rendering, or to upsample the art in a card game so it looks good at any resolution.

Oh yeah, Goldeneye. Are all of Microsofts core shootybangbang games gonna be ones that are made with a gamepad in mind, in that really old way where everything's compromised around it? Oh god, now I'm thinking of if they forced that on whatever the next Doom game is.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto

Seems like it could be good fun, but I keep seeing 'souls--like, but not' bandied about and, I'm not big on that style of game
You're not going to like it. The game's been pretty disappointing thus far. It's a chore to play because you'll be wrestling with the game's awful mechanics and unfair enemy design. I've heard some reviewers saying the combat has depth... which is absolute nonsense considering some of the core elements of the combat don't even work well.

The Parry System seems to work only half of the time and is designed for 1v1 combat. However, the game will have you fighting multiple enemies most of the time. The Parry System can't even keep up with the enemies. If you try to parry in quick succession, the system breaks and up taking hits instead. You're also completely vulnerable to attacks by other enemies during the parry animation. I was also in a situation earlier where two enemies attacked at the same time, but the character only parried one attack while I got hit by the other.

The same problems listed above also apply to the game's High & Low dodge system.

By far one of the worst camera system I've seen in an action game in recent years. We're in the year 2022 and somehow, SloClap has managed to go backwards with the camera design in this game.

The controls aren't very responsive and there is also a lack of feedback from certain enemies

Most of the unlockable moves don't seem to be designed around the fact that the player will be fighting multiple enemies. The whole focus of the game is the combat. Everything else around it is just window-dressing. How do you manage to have such serious flaws in a pure action game?

A lot of enemy attacks aren't even telegraphed properly, especially considering there are high & low attacks. I've had enemies perform a instant low or high attack out of nowhere while doing a 3 string combo on me. Example: Enemy performs a 3 string low combo, which can be blocked parried or low dodged, but there's a chance of a 4'th attack being performed which could be a high attack and that comes out in a flash without any kind of warning.

TL;DR: Play God Hand instead.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn and its expansion. It was fun and I liked the world's lore (specifically the Old World stuff) but I have to say that I don't think it's that much better than the other Sony game I played recently, Days Gone. I don't know if DG was underrated or HZD overrated but I do believe that the difference in quality between the two isn't as big as I expected based on the reviews and general reception.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Hrmmmhmhmhm...
I wonder if Intel's XESS tech being open source means developers can do funky things with it. Like using it in the reconstruction step for alternative upsampling methods like interlaced and checkerboard rendering, or to upsample the art in a card game so it looks good at any resolution.
I wonder how many security researchers will go through it to check for any security issues like buffer overflow exploits.
Hopefully being Open Source means it can be patched easily.

• Eyes

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn and its expansion. It was fun and I liked the world's lore (specifically the Old World stuff) but I have to say that I don't think it's that much better than the other Sony game I played recently, Days Gone. I don't know if DG was underrated or HZD overrated but I do believe that the difference in quality between the two isn't as big as I expected based on the reviews and general reception.
I enjoyed both but HZD more by far as it was a much smoother experience. The gameplay in Days Gone had good parts but way too much jank.
I also played through HZD again recently and it was still fun. Not sure when I'm going to want to replay Days Gone but don't think it will be soon.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Between holiday sales, bundles and trades, I've somehow come upon enough games to last me through most of the year and it's only February.... :ripblob:

By the way, a great feature that I've long waited for is available via the new alpha site for ITAD: it allows you to filter your wishlist (that you can import from Steam) by a condition that checks if they've previously been in a bundle. It's under waitlist > filter > game > was bundled in the past.

Last edited:

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020

it apparently has roguelite-style progression mechanics despite the levels being entirely handcrafted rather than procgen, which is… odd

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
What really bothered me about Zero Dawn, was how much potential story telling was wasted on the really mindless side quests. I guess they couldn't simply copy Witcher 3, since the game was in development through most of 2015, and it's probably far too late to change the quest design at such a point.
I really hope Forbidden West does a better job copying good RPGs on this. The actual world seems really nice and interesting, especially the old world and what happened to it.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
What really bothered me about Zero Dawn, was how much potential story telling was wasted on the really mindless side quests. I guess they couldn't simply copy Witcher 3, since the game was in development through most of 2015, and it's probably far too late to change the quest design at such a point.
I really hope Forbidden West does a better job copying good RPGs on this. The actual world seems really nice and interesting, especially the old world and what happened to it.
The real problem for me is that HZD told the entire story about the fall and why it happened. By the end you know what went wrong and can see how it got here. That was the best stuff in the game, what else is left to tell? I worry the sequel is going to suffer because the good part of the story has already been told.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
LOL, I dropped 23 hrs. into Terminator: Resistance over the past few days.

Hot damn am I enjoying myself.

It ain't perfect but damn does it have atmosphere & heart.

Helps that it 100% feels like Fallout-lite*, but with a baller, nostalgic IP running underneath.

* I know that mere mention of modern BGS Fallout is enough to curdle milk in some circles, but I absolutely love 'em.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
So....

What exactly is Dying Light 2?
I know it is a Zombie slasher, but the parkour thing is not my thing. I heard it is a (spiritual?) sequel to Dead Island, but how much of that gameplay is in dying light?

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
The build itself I think leaked last year but the achievement list was indeed not too long ago. But yeah, time has kind of lost its meaning in the past 2 years. :(

Reason: fix quote
  • Eyes

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
So....

I know it is a Zombie slasher, but the parkour thing is not my thing. I heard it is a (spiritual?) sequel to Dead Island, but how much of that gameplay is in dying light?
I played a lot of Dead Island and I finished the first Dying Light. The two games share a lot of the same DNA but the parkour is absolutely essential in DL because in most cases you are not supposed to clear the area of zombies, just finish your objective and retreat to the rooftops.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So....

All of the gameplay of Dead Island is in Dying Light, the weapon crafting and mission structure are basically the same, the level design on Dying Light is pretty focused on the parkour tho'. which for me is a plus, what really set them apart is the tone, Dead Island is more of a comedy, and Dying Light takes it self a bit more seriously.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The real problem for me is that HZD told the entire story about the fall and why it happened. By the end you know what went wrong and can see how it got here. That was the best stuff in the game, what else is left to tell? I worry the sequel is going to suffer because the good part of the story has already been told.
Soo, some spoilers for HZD
It resolved the most important questions, for sure. But one big thing that was left open so far is Apollo subroutine. It contains all of human knowledge, and there's some hints in the story that it couldn't really be fully purged, It's not even that hard to believe, the scientists were looking for technology that could store data for thousands and thousands of years, it's pretty reasonable that read-only tech (like using self-replicating DNA) would prove the best in preserving data. The reason most of our stuff is so bad at data retention (like flash) is because it's designed to both read and write.
The game also mentions them using DNA to store data, so it's possible there's some offline backups (meaning nothing that Faro ordered could have touched them) that could restore vast amounts of Apollo's content. I would guess that's where the story will be going next, though that might be "too big" to just handle in one game.
Even if Aloy finds Apollo's knowledge, which culture should she be giving it to? The info on how to build weapons would basically hand them complete control of the rest of humanity. And that's not even mentioning what the rogue Apollo AI might want to do

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
So....

Yeah, so far for me is 2/3 Mirror’s Edge Catalyst (but good), 1/3 Dead Island. Maybe you can focus more on combat with some skills and story choices, but at best it would be 50/50. Well, at least at the point I’m in the story.

In any case, it’s probably better to wait for a few patches. And maybe get the first one really cheap somewhere to see if its your thing.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I wonder if GT7 will come to PC this year. I know that GT7 is really popular on PlayStation but reality is that racing simulation is PC genre due to better hardware support.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Hospital and attack on Skynet are actually good levels. Do you have the DLC? If not buy it for a nice side story.

LOL, I dropped 23 hrs. into Terminator: Resistance over the past few days.

Hot damn am I enjoying myself.

It ain't perfect but damn does it have atmosphere & heart.

Helps that it 100% feels like Fallout-lite*, but with a baller, nostalgic IP running underneath.

* I know that mere mention of modern BGS Fallout is enough to curdle milk in some circles, but I absolutely love 'em.

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Platinum really plateaued in the PS3 gen. Bayonetta, Vanquish, and MGR. It's a nice string of success and fun to play games.

Aside from NieR Automata, which honestly is carried more by it's story elements than any aspect of it's "gaminess," Platinum has really really fallen low. I don't even get hyped for their games anymore.

The upcoming one, uhm, what is it even called Babylon's whatever.... It looks an absolute disaster. 😓

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Babylon's Fall doesn't look exciting (I'm not really sure if it should be treated more like their own greats like The Wonderful 101 or licenced projects for other companies like Legend of Korra or Transformers: Devastation that could be considered of smaller focus and importance, it could also be a result of Square Enix more than PG), but that has little to do with any GAAS intentions I actually wasn't aware of beyond it having the co-op element. They've otherwise been fairly consistently great not only with their early games but up to recently with Bayonetta 2, NieR: Automata and Astral Chain, I'm sure Bayonetta 3 will be pretty great as well. The difficulty they have had with continuing once doomed series like Bayonetta since its inception shows the market sadly doesn't care for such things unless they have the AAA prowess of a huge marketing machine like Capcom, which also has had trouble continuing stuff like DMC to be honest. With having found success with games like NieR and Astral Chain which are more longform than simple action romps it makes sense they want to have games with more prolonged appeal going forward as well. If it will work out or not remains to be seen but it's hardly worth preemptive damnation, they've done good and might have good ideas up their sleeves once again. The actual quote in the tweet there doesn't even really mention live service type games, but I guess that could be one method for prolonging a game's appeal, it's hard to tell from a Japanese interview where nuance and more can be lost in translation. Either way, just buy what looks interesting to you and not what doesn't, committing to a whole company's theoretical output one way or another seems quite silly regardles.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Hospital and attack on Skynet are actually good levels. Do you have the DLC? If not buy it for a nice side story.
Yeah, Hospital was intense as hell. Creeped me the heck out and gave me serious HL2 Ravenholm vibes (though mechanically very different).

Picked up the DLC for -25% just before the Lunar sale ended. Excited to check it out when I finish the base game (yep, at 23 hrs. I'm still plugging away at it...I'm a OCD scavenging fool, lol).

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
same, downloading with friends, will wait for feb 11, i never saw south american server in a mmorpg so lets see.

• Eyes

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Deck running Forza horizon 5 @ up to 40fps high settings.

Also Dead Cells @ 6hrs 17minutes battery life. Forza over 4hrs @ 30fps. Portal 2 over 5hrs.

What a beast of a little machine.
Yeah, it's honestly even better than I expected. If software and compatibility is up to par this thing will fly off the (virtual) shelves.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
DL 2 1.0.4 patch is out.

Rebind fix + some improvements to DLSS. I noticed that setting the slider below 50 sharpness broke it entirely. It would be extremely blurry in motion, so hopefully they've fixed it. I'd rather have slighty blurrier image than an overly sharped one. The game has a lot of grass & wood textures, so it looks very bad when its extremely sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.