Community MetaSteam | February 2022 - Good night, and good luck, Lowly Tarnished

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Might I ask why? I'm considering getting 2 27'' 1080p 144Hz monitor this year if they somehow drop in price a good bit.
I was able to count the pixels without a magnifying glass. I used it on my desk so yeah.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I'm hoping Elden Ring runs about the same as Sekiro so I can play it with decent settings at 1080p - 1440p.

My mistake was to buy a 4K tv two years ago. Suddenly GTX 1070 doesn't quite feel fast enough anymore. :rip:

And even a lowly RTX 3060Ti would be a pretty significant upgrade but not for €800-900. :disappointed-face:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Might I ask why? I'm considering getting 2 27'' 1080p 144Hz monitor this year if they somehow drop in price a good bit.
I think 27" might be a little too big for 1080p. It might look a little blurry.
Remember the days when if you wanted to buy a GPU you just added it to your amazon cart and bought it at MSRP? Ah, those were the days :disappointed-face:

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Ok, now you're being a bit salty.
But you'd agree their claims of inventing the GPU are spurious?

Seems to me Nvidia can't claim to have invented anything. They've engineered many things, but invented nothing I can think of. All these concepts existed long before Nvidia, except perhaps a few 'newer' ones such as AI driven image reconstruction (which they didn't invent, but innovated within).

Regardless, the case of claiming to have invented the GPU isn't something they can claim at all. There they claim inventing where they didn't even innovate, or break new boundaries. 10 million triangles is arbitrary.

• Eyes

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Not on a 27" monitor imo.
I have a 1440p 27" monitor, so can't really say, but people saying "1080p is trash" are fucking idiots tbh
Remember the days when if you wanted to buy a GPU you just added it to your amazon cart and bought it at MSRP? Ah, those were the days :disappointed-face:
No, it feels like a distant memory now :minos_sad:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I was able to count the pixels without a magnifying glass. I used it on my desk so yeah.
That's the most common reaction, at 27" 1440p makes the most sense and 1080p looks bad (at typical monitor viewing distance).

Personally i'm fine with 27" 1080p, i can make out individual pixels if i want to but i can also just ignore that and enjoy a good picture. The line for 1080p for me is at 27" though because having seen a 30" 1080p panel... not pleasant to look at.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I think 27" might be a little too big for 1080p. It might look a little blurry.
I have my primary monitor 50 cm from my eyes.
Still plenty sharp.
(And whenever I'm gaming, I can hit 120-144 fps with my crappy GPU, no way in hell I could do so with a 1440p monitor)

• Eyes

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 19, 2018
Ibis Island
Stuff like FidelityFX (and DLSS when it can be more open) is gonna be a game-changer when it comes to performance and having to deal with these GPU and chip shortages as time goes on imo. Obviously not a fix-all but at least something to help with the limp.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I have 2 4k monitors and a 1440p monitor in my setup and the way Windows handles scaling is so infuriating, especially dragging certain apps between monitors. I am definitely going to avoid having multiple resolutions in the future. The annoying thing is my coworkers have Macs and it handles different resolution monitors way better.

• Eyes

BadAniki

Jan 22, 2022
I'm hoping Elden Ring runs about the same as Sekiro so I can play it with decent settings at 1080p - 1440p.

My mistake was to buy a 4K tv two years ago. Suddenly GTX 1070 doesn't quite feel fast enough anymore. :rip:

And even a lowly RTX 3060Ti would be a pretty significant upgrade but not for €800-900. :disappointed-face:
Same. And hopefully they have better graphics settingsthis time around too. It's kinda weird they haven't released the system requirements yet. but praying it's optimised well.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and sk2k

BadAniki

Jan 22, 2022
Also a new God of war patch released today. Tbh i'm very surprised how Sony has supported their games post release. It's actually nice to see makes me hyped for what else they might release in the future.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I'm at 1440p on my desktop, and I don't think I could ever go back to 1080p. I have a 1080p laptop, but I think that's the bare minimum resolution now, for just about anything. I remember one of my older laptops having that weird 768p resolution on its display, doing anything at that resolution is just clautsrophobic and awful.

BadAniki

Jan 22, 2022
I finished God of War yesterday. Solid gameplay and story. I'm sure Ragnarok will come soon to PC after the PS4/5 release.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how long they take between releases. Personally hoping they announce Spiderman before it's sequel comes out. Played the original on the PS4 and had tons of fun.

• Eyes

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Wait a minute... 1080p is considered garbage nowadays? I honestly don't see myself going for a higher resolution that that in the near future, even if I buy a new gpu in the next couple of years.
It's definitely not preferred if you have a 4k TV. Since switching to an oled I've struggled playing 1080p stuff on it as it's noticeably blurry and jaggy.

I'm trying to play dying light 2 on ps5 now which is 1080p in its performance mode (for some god forsaken reason) and it's not as bad as I feared it would be, but it can be pretty smeary looking sometimes.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Does DLSS have some kind of cutoff point for how low it will make the resolution to upsample from? Because I can't believe this is upsampled from 1/9th of 1440p.

(I'm not really playing with ultra performance mode, I just noticed this while flipping through the settings.)

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Does DLSS have some kind of cutoff point for how low it will make the resolution to upsample from? Because I can't believe this is upsampled from 1/9th of 1440p.
Nope, as far as I know they're fixed values.

Quality: 66.6 % of your Native/Selected Rez.
Balanced: 58%
Performance: 50%
Ultra-Performance: 33.3%

• Eyes

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Did they?
Partnered may be too strong a word, but they "Helped" Epic out by allowing their store to be available on EGS . And Epic claimed to be supportive of NFT's after Steam came out and said they wouldn't allow them.

Anyway.

Now that all that horrible and icky NFT talk is out of the way, on to other horrible and icky talk, the Metaverse.

Interesting video with some interesting thoughts I hadn't considered. For example how Fortnite has lost it's own identity after chasing Marvel, Disney, DC and so on (even though that is the side that now attracts me to the game and yest it shows some aspects of the Metaverse do work, in my case Geekdom).

So after watching this I hope the metaverse dies a fast yet horrible and painful death.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Both my monitors are 1440p and 27". I used to be a 4K TV PC gamer (at 55"), but I switched cuz I like being able to better multi-task and well... G-Sync is godly. There are times when I miss 4K, especially when a game is nice enough to have 4K textures IE: FFXV's 4K dlc. 1440p is definitely the "happy medium" at least. I don't think 1080p is "trash" but honestly? You'd never catch me going back that far when it can be helped.

I just learnt that the demo of Voice of Cards has different content from the main game. Interesting choice from SQEX. I should continue playing it.
Whoa, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm gonna write this down so I remember. It's totally a Yoko Taro thing to do. ;p

Finally!! Metal Max! (Thanks for sharing!)

Haha. I have no doubt my PC will run it though (mostly because Im still on 1080p). My GTX 1080 and 5820k 4 ghz oc'd has done well so far.

The more we creep into this gen, the more I side-eye my 1080ti. Every night before i leave my desk for bed, I take a peak under the desk and say a little prayer. "Hang in there buddy" 🙏

I want a 3070ti or a regular 3080. So bad I do. ... Just can't find one. Not in local stores, and not online. (Well, at MSRP anyway...) 😓

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That's good to hear! I should probably play BTB again soon. I've been meaning to, but I wanted to focus on clearing the campaign...

... which I just did 30 minutes ago, on Heroic. Jesus, I came so close on multiple occasions to spiking the controller into the floor - some of that late game encounter design was pure BS. The inherent randomness in Halo's encounter design + the advanced movement mechanics youre basically required to use don't mix well with an extremely small margin for error.

... I just really needed to get that out of my system, sorry about that. 🤬
When you start BTB, god bless you won't bump into Mint Blitz then! That dude is insane.

I still haven't played the campaign because this is my first Halo haha. Sorry to hear your frustration. I saw some Legendary clips on youtube and they are insanely difficult. Hopefully you will be able to find some fun in MP soon.
Whoa, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm gonna write this down so I remember. It's totally a Yoko Taro thing to do. ;p
You are welcome. Yeah, it sounds something he would do. ;)

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Neat.... Dying Light 2 "pak" files are just zip files so you can basically edit a lot of games variables in the scripts.
  • I was able to rebind some hardcoded mouse/keyboard keys apparently without breaking anything - hey, the dozens of us that use RMB to walk forward are people too.
  • While I am here, might as well reduce weapon degradation by half. It will probably screw game balance a little but f*ck it.
  • Hmmm, there is a mod to get rid of some of those stupid lens flare effects? Don't mind if I try it out.
And people wonder why we like to play things on PC...

Speaking of PCs, the Deck you probably never be available here and I have no great need for it, but I'm still very excited for tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.