Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I got back into Guild Wars 2 again a couple days ago after not wanting to play for a long time. I'm having lots of fun with a new character to level. It's been so long that I have very little idea of how to play effectively despite already having several characters at level cap from a few years ago.
I don’t care much about this PC Gamer shit, business as usual, but what I can say is that I lament the lack of a good PC centric website. At the moment I can think of PC Gamer, PCGamesN, DSO Gaming, Rock Paper Shotgun… and the whole lot is more or less trash fire. Clickbait, EGS bias, listicles up the wazoo, paywalls.
We really need a small passionate team making a site that would work on a reasonable budget and thus wouldn’t require all this bullshit.
Maybe Blues News? Blast from the past thats still going strong. I don't visit there often although I never go there and then leave feeling sad about it. Unlike those sites you mention.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Boast post time: I played Jump King a while ago and didn't get very far. But I returned to the game recently, and 2 nights ago I got my first clear! I restarted when I came back, so it was across 2 attempts, and Steam said it took 8.5 hours. Then last night I played two more runs and got this time:
Damn, he's good.

The game feels brutal at the start, but once you get the hang of the jump timings, you can breeze through it. It helps that there are a ton of knowledge checks. Many jumps can be trivialized, and even on jumps that can't, the punishment for failure is often different if you overshoot or undershoot. So you can learn to err on the longer or shorter side to hedge your bets.

I know Jump King has a reputation as a Twitch-bait game, but I think it's more compelling as a game about practicing execution than as a rage-game. It lets you experience a sense of mastery in a shorter time span than anything else I can think of, and I think that's a cool thing for a game to do.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Godfall never came to Steam? I kinda forgot it was supposed to, but it's been more than year I think.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Godfall never came to Steam? I kinda forgot it was supposed to, but it's been more than year I think.
Yeah, it was also one that specifically said was a timed deal in response to someone on social media. That said, I bet the chopped down multiplayer version may have slightly extended the deal and 6-12 months after that, they may announce a Godfall: Gods Will Fall edition coming to all platforms or something haha.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
FWIW, everyone and their dog seems to be talking about how monumentally amazingly stacked this Q1 is, and the only thing that interests me personally is Elden Ring. Even then I'm unlikely to get it at launch actually.

I'm the weirdo but game I'm most excited for this year no joke is AI Somnium Files 2. After that probably A Plague Tale 2.
It's funny 'cause my most-anticipated '22 release is actually a Q1 drop, Distant Worlds 2.

Looks like another Q1 prospect is Weird West. But outside of that, I'm not seeing a lot of dated Q1 titles of particular interest.

Certainly a number of "sometime in 2022" releases I'm hot for like Lorn's Lure, Citizen Sleeper, Rebots, Terra Invicta, etc.

But they could land anytime between now and Dec. 31st, if that.

In the end though if history is anything to go by, my GOTY '22 list will be dominated by titles I haven't even been following & never saw coming to begin with.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So, grabbed 2 games from the Steam Sale, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone. While I am not the biggest fan of Modern Day Sony Games (broken record time GIVE ME GRAVITY RUSH 1 & 2 oh and while i think about it APE ESCAPE COLLECTION AS WELL). However at £20 each I think it is the perfect price. Especially as I will be getting rid of my PS4 soon and replacing it with a Blu Ray player.

I must remember to stop following the icons and try and stick to the story. I always burn myself out to soon when I follow the icons.

Last edited:

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
So, grabbed 2 games from the Steam Sale, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone. While I am not the biggest fan of Modern Day Sony Games (broken record time GIVE ME GRAVITY RUSH 1 & 2 oh and while i think about it APE ESCAPE COLLECTION AS WELL). However at £20 I think it is the perfect price. Especially as I will be getting rid of my PS4 soon and replacing it with a Blu Ray player.

I must remember to stop following the icons and try and stick to the story. I always burn myself out to soon when I follow the icons.
Ah, that's an idea... what I wouldn't give for an Ape Escape Collection. :sweaty-blob: A well done PC version sounds amazing!

While I'm a little more positive on Sony's modern day output, I fully agree that their Japan Studio days were their golden era. Their newer games are great, but still lack that certain soul.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Ah, that's an idea... what I wouldn't give for an Ape Escape Collection. :sweaty-blob: A well done PC version sounds amazing!

While I'm a little more positive on Sony's modern day output, I fully agree that their Japan Studio days were their golden era. Their newer games are great, but still lack that certain soul.
Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy there modern games, except for Naughty Dog (and even then I will be getting the collection for the side story game), but I just find they are as guilty of the problems behind a Ubi collectathon. Or used to at any rate. With Ubi's push to GaaS and the average length of an Ass Creed I am swinging back to Sony Games a bit more.

But you are right. I miss the days when something like Tokyo Jungle would be released. Or Vib Ribbon. Or The Legend of Dragoon. Or Patapon (and now I have the tune stuck in my head).

And there are some games I will be there day 1 for however. Ghosts of Tsushima and Spider-Man. I bounced off Spider-Man because of a second chase sequence and hated a couple of the stealth sections, but would love to give Miles Morales a try.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy there modern games, except for Naughty Dog (and even then I will be getting the collection for the side story game), but I just find they are as guilty of the problems behind a Ubi collectathon. Or used to at any rate. With Ubi's push to GaaS and the average length of an Ass Creed I am swinging back to Sony Games a bit more.
I really enjoyed Horizon for the story and world building (the gameplay, not so much, as its very much a 2018 game in that respect and the Steam version was my first time playing it). Now Ghost of Tsushima... yeah, you got me there, I loved that game so much!

Ubisoft, on the other hand, has absolutely lost the plot. Open world games with length for length's sake - after Valhalla (or at least, the couple of hours of it that I could tolerate) I'm perfectly happy not buying another one of those for a long while.

But you are right. I miss the days when something like Tokyo Jungle would be released. Or Vib Ribbon. Or The Legend of Dragoon. Or Patapon (and now I have the tune stuck in my head).
Or Parappa/Umjammer Lammy. Or Dark Cloud. Or Wild Arms. The list goes on and on.

If they ever got around to releasing these crusty old games on Steam (or, hell, anywhere) with a lazy upres and unlocked FPS, my wallet would hate me soooo much lol.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Or Parappa/Umjammer Lammy. Or Dark Cloud. Or Wild Arms. The list goes on and on.

If they ever got around to releasing these crusty old games on Steam (or, hell, anywhere) with a lazy upres and unlocked FPS, my wallet would hate me soooo much lol.
People have been begging for console re-releases and updates of these games for so long. I'm with you, I would totally shell out for even just a decent version of Legend of Dragoon or Dark Could or Parappa on PC. But I fear they'll never bother.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Time to replay old shit again!
Final Fantasy here we go!

And oh man, Final Fantasy 1 has aged... a lot. I never liked it much, and yeah, replaying it today it's just... very shallow by modern standards (... though modern would imply early 1990s considering how old it is and how things changed very fast back then), barely any story, no characters - they don't even have set names, and while you can choose a handful of classes to play your team... it's so, so simplistic. And so fast! You don't have time to breathe before you get to the next story point that is two lines of text!
Which makes sense really.
But yeah, not very fun combat, level design of its time, and definitely not much of a drive to keep you going. An interesting relic, but not much more.

Final Fantasy 2 on the other hand, it has characters! But more than that... I forgot just how different it was from all the other games in the franchise.
Dropping the level up system was pretty bold, it's SaGa's grandpappy, you gain stats and skill up your weapons and magic by using them in combat, taking damage, avoiding ennemies... it's so, so weird when you haven't touched the game in 20 years.
But I'm also glad I took a refresher on how the stats work, because I certainly didn't remember about the importance of shields (for agility), among others.
It's such a fascinating game, and I'd say it's still pretty fun today unlike FF1.
Also, I'm playin the PSP version and not the pixel remaster... and I think it looks really, really pretty. The game gets extra care put into visual effects beyond the 2D art, and it feels like what a proper remake should be... if a bit less in the spirit of the original NES game.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, anyone here having played Anno 1800 ? How is the added content since launch ? I'm in the mood, so 19 euro (13 on the grey market) is tempting. Kinda my only temptation this sale.

• Eyes

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I think Deaths Door might be too hard for me.:crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face:

I keep dying, yeah I get it, its the point, but I also notice I get super irritated when I do because its too tense. Life is hard as it is I don't need that from my games too.
The really terrible health system kept it from being much higher in my GOTY list. They wanted to do something different without just copying Souls it felt like, but the game was worse for it.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I think Deaths Door might be too hard for me.:crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face::crying-face:
Yeah, at some point in my life game descriptions like, "precision platformer" or "twitch shooter" went from drawing me in to making me pass without a second glance.

I remember coming across a Sekiro monkey boss-fight video (I think it was a dunkey vid) and just shaking my head.

Oh well, "dad-game" genres filled in the gaps and I couldn't be happier. Strat/sim/management kinda stuff.

Funny how easy it is to clown on all things Boomer until Time comes for you too and you suddenly find yourself on the other side of that equation, lol.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Except if you own the crippled Control Ulti :cautious:
Ah, yea. Is there still no way to "upgrade" to the real one? I bought my ultimate key when it was super on sale once so I don't know the status of those weird versions they did to just screw people over

• Eyes

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

I keep dying, yeah I get it, its the point, but I also notice I get super irritated when I do because its too tense. Life is hard as it is I don't need that from my games too.
May I suggest this then:-

Get 11 cheats for Death's Door with WeMod, the Ultimate PC Game Modding App
Yeah, at some point in my life game descriptions like, "precision platformer" or "twitch shooter" went from drawing me in to making me pass without a second glance.

I remember coming across a Sekiro monkey boss-fight video (I think it was a dunkey vid) and just shaking my head.

Oh well, "dad-game" genres filled in the gaps and I couldn't be happier. Strat/sim/management kinda stuff.

Funny how easy it is to clown on all things Boomer until Time comes for you too and you suddenly find yourself on the other side of that equation, lol.
Yeah pretty much the same for me. I loved all the harder games as a kid. Thrived on them. I am happy to ignore a lot of games that put themselves down as hard, especially ones that require good reflexes.

I am happy to play FFXIV now (will do end game content, but will probably never touch savage difficulty), play Total Warhammer in Co-Op with mates. Spend my time digging holes in minecraft/terraria.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I should retry Total Warhammer 1. My first attempt was… not good. I got rolled over by the AI and as in HoMM I have a hard time managing my troops number.
But an important question, capital, the best question first. I see all those wonderful promo videos with super cool units and I’m like, why bother, I won’t see shit. In my experience, but it was early game, maybe not representative, you don’t play with this level of zoom. Everything is tiny.
So did I play it wrong ?

• Eyes

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Anno 1800 is great, the last Ubi game i bought. (and probably the last i ever will) Captured the spirt of 1404 and updated it.

I found Deaths Door to be right on the edge of my skill ability. I found it very tricky in a few places, nearly gave up but got through it in the end. Great little game, lots of charm.

I am really enjoying Wreckfest. So much fun racing around tracks bashing into people, watching the AI spin out and tumble around. Its my current go to mindless fun game.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I would buy Flight Sim but dont want to deal with Microsofts download system. Wish they would just let Steam handle all that stuff.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I should retry Total Warhammer 1. My first attempt was… not good. I got rolled over by the AI and as in HoMM I have a hard time managing my troops number.
But an important question, capital, the best question first. I see all those wonderful promo videos with super cool units and I’m like, why bother, I won’t see shit. In my experience, but it was early game, maybe not representative, you don’t play with this level of zoom. Everything is tiny.
So did I play it wrong ?
First thing I would say is turn down the difficulty. If I remember rightly the difficulty in Total Warhammer games is the amount of HP they have. Autoresolve is your friend. If it says it's an easy win then go ahead and do it.

Secondly some factions are more difficult than others and then there champions also have a difficulty attached. Orcs are fairly meaty and survivable. Goblins not so much. Humans are decent all rounders, Dark Elves are glass canons. The heroes themselves also have an affinity for certain unit types as well.

As to later units. It depends on the faction, but generally the late game units tend to be the big beasts. So goblins get access to Araknarok Spiders. Elves get pheonixes and dragons.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Yep same here, is why I only bother to make time for very few Souls likes now.

I played Celeste not too long ago as well but tbh it felt like that kind of hard platformer was not what I wanted anymore.
And yes I know there are the accessibility options in that game but frankly it made the game feel pointless then

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Oh my. A Solo Leveling game for PC/Mobile. Sure looks good :blobeyes:
Solo Leveling is definitely style over substance, but it has that style in spades and that trailer sure seems to capture that. 🤞
Also in case you're wondering, it seems to be a singleplayer Action-RPG, not a gacha.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
For those (like me) that still don't have it, Disco Elysium is at an excellent discount, especially if you already own / want Control as well for this random bundle: Save 69% on Disco Elysium - The Final Cut + Control Ultimate Edition Bundle on Steam
Except if you own the crippled Control Ulti :cautious:
So I'm confused by this, I own the Humble version of Control. What would actually happen if I took up that bundle? It's technically worth it for Disco alone as the bundle shows a price to me lower than Disco standalone. Am I right in guessing the issue here is it wouldn't upgrade Control despite counting it towards the discount?

• Eyes

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I start to feel a bit overwhelmed by the games that I have started playing. Should have focused on one or two games.
I gave up on waiting until Microsoft fixes their Game Pass app, so I bought wasteland 3 + all DLC on steam. Loving it so far!
I haven't played it yet but the soundtrack is fascinating. Have been listening to it for a long time.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
So I'm confused by this, I own the Humble version of Control. What would actually happen if I took up that bundle? It's technically worth it for Disco alone as the bundle shows a price to me lower than Disco standalone. Am I right in guessing the issue here is it wouldn't upgrade Control despite counting it towards the discount?
Unfortunately I don't know. I bought a stand alone Control Ultimate key from GMG a while before the Humble bundle thing happened. For me the bundle on Steam just shows the Disco price, like yours does, but I'm guessing you don't get the "upgrade" for Control, no.

• This!
Status
Not open for further replies.