Community MetaSteam | January 2024 - Let's get this year started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
I was gonna buy more but realistically I won’t play any of those anytime soon so eh.
Oh I definitely won't be able to finish them. I just started playing Dead Space that I got in the last sale (maybe a month or so ago). But that definitely won't stop me from making questionable buying decisions lol.

Reactions: NarohDethan
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
however, the same user says the tweet isn't meant to be a leak nor a scoop

EDIT: ALTHOUGH, I don't know them so I don't know if this is how they tease things or not, tbh
I think accounts like this know what they’re doing when they vague tweet like that. It’s about getting attention.

The follow up is just an ass-covering exercise.

Reactions: QFNS and Mor
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I think accounts like this know what they’re doing when they vague tweet like that. It’s about getting attention.

The follow up is just an ass-covering exercise.
I see, thanks

Reactions: QFNS and C-Dub

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Anyone knows any bot account to trade the sale cards so I can complete a couple of sets?

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Anyone knows any bot account to trade the sale cards so I can complete a couple of sets?

Add the bot as a friend and offer a trade, they have quite the collection:

Edit: Seems this account is more responsive:

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
That's second game finished this year. I got The Case of the Golden Idol as Christmas present and started it playing this morning, and finished just now XD I also played it on Deck so that is already 2 games finished on Deck too. It was good game with interesting mechanics and few smaller issues. I played it without hints and highlights. Also I have both DLCs so i will play that too sooner than later :D

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Gonna throw in the towel with Armored Core 6 like I did with Sekiro. These games aren't for me anymore. Can't even beat the first chapter boss.
Balteus is a roadblock no doubt but I think it's meant to get you to engage with the mech customization system. Trying different builds and more than just different weapons, different legs, etc is the heart of that game and if you are retuning for each encounter, it's becomes VERY hard to progress. It won't make the flight easy, but some things work better than others in every fight.

And since there really is a ton of options you can probably find a mix that works for you and has the advantages you need.

AC 6 is a great game, but it isn't a souls like and you shouldn't approach it that way. Replay levels for cash and parts, get all the new sweet guns, etc. That's the kind of game it wants IMO.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Balteus is a roadblock no doubt but I think it's meant to get you to engage with the mech customization system. Trying different builds and more than just different weapons, different legs, etc is the heart of that game and if you are retuning for each encounter, it's becomes VERY hard to progress. It won't make the flight easy, but some things work better than others in every fight.

And since there really is a ton of options you can probably find a mix that works for you and has the advantages you need.

AC 6 is a great game, but it isn't a souls like and you shouldn't approach it that way. Replay levels for cash and parts, get all the new sweet guns, etc. That's the kind of game it wants IMO.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm aware but it's still too much for me. Age is catching up with me.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Do those games even really have a player base ? I mean, the few games of the type that seemed to have a following are on the Switch sub. That brings other factors to the equation.
Anyway, I don't know if the Bomberman you speak of is the same, but I just read a user review lamenting the total absence of players for the online only Bomberman on Apple Arcade.
Yeah, on PC at least the Bomberman didn't get any kind of traction.
I imagine they could work much better if they were free to play with cosmetics. I wonder if pacman is going to be free or not, didn't see any mentions of price anywhere at a quick glance.

Tetris 99.
I mean things that don't already exist. :D

Reactions: Li Kao

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I have 3092 Steam achievements right now, will try to make it 4000 this year.
I have 38% average completion rate, let’s see if I can get it up to 39 this year!

Something something rookie numbers you gotta pump those numbers up.

Also on another note, looks like you can't paste images directly to steam chat from your clipboard, which makes it far less useful as an image dump.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I really wonder how this "80 bucks for a game" is doing. Most of these new releases get discounted in less than 3 months and even more often you can get them for -50% after a single year (and usually you even get a better product after 1 year of patches)
Maybe driving prices (and budgets) to sky high isn't a very smart plan after all

Reactions: PC-tan and Kal1m3r0

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I really wonder how this "80 bucks for a game" is doing. Most of these new releases get discounted in less than 3 months and even more often you can get them for -50% after a single year (and usually you even get a better product after 1 year of patches)
Maybe driving prices (and budgets) to sky high isn't a very smart plan after all
Having less and less big releases probably helps keep the numbers stable enough but the big budget bubble is gonna pop soon enough.

Reactions: PC-tan

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well 30% off 80€ is basically price that was standard few years ago. They still get more money even with big discounts compared to previous years.

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan and C-Dub

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I don't get what people see in DD2 personally, it looks like the same exact game just at a smoother framerate and higher res. I think they're even reusing all of the classes from the first game except for that vape lord one (lol).

The part I'm most disappointed in though is that they chose to keep that horrible washed out color tone. It was bad enough in the first game but now we're in the age of 4k oleds and HDR so it will only look worse. Watching footage of it reminds me of playing FF16 last year on my oled which was...a trial to say the least.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It looks like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter had a kid.

I’ll pass, but I hope the people looking forward to it get a good game.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I don't get what people see in DD2 personally, it looks like the same exact game just at a smoother framerate and higher res. I think they're even reusing all of the classes from the first game except for that vape lord one (lol).
The classes are significantly changed and there's two new vocations so far - there's a spear one too.

The vocations in the first game also had a lot of overlap - half of the vocations in the game used daggers and a bow and with the exception of Mystic Archer they played pretty much the same and overlapped a lot of skills - while in this one every vocation has its own unique weapon type and moveset, thief fights with daggers only, archer is basically Hawkeye, etcetera.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Got an email from Humble:

A friendly heads-up that game keys for DOOM Eternal, which was part of your January 2023 Humble Choice monthly mix of games, are expiring January 31, 2024.

Dec 5, 2018
50% of 60€ is 30€
50% of 80€ is 40€

So they're basically doing more money per the same discount. Most people buy like 3-4 games a year (the steam median player plays like 4 games a year and i expect consoles to be the same). So for those games the change might be worth it. But for others time will tell.

Having less and less big releases probably helps keep the numbers stable enough but the big budget bubble is gonna pop soon enough.

It kinda has though, companies are making less AAA games, just puting more money into surefire hits a bit like hollywood. Now they just need to master hollywood accounting.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Well 30% off 80€ is basically price that was standard few years ago. They still get more money even with big discounts compared to previous years.
In addition to this, you can see that whenever a game releases with multiple editions (standard/deluxe/ultimate), the higher tier editions do extremely well in the top sellers charts. I seem to recall a news blurb recently in which a developer said that something like 40% of the total number of copies of their game that sold were the ultimate/highest tier edition. And if you play live service games you'll see a lot of people are willing to spend good amounts of money on cosmetics and such. No judgement though, even I've done that many times.

The bottom line is that people are willing to pay more for their games now. People see the prices of everything in the world around them going up so a $10 increase in video game prices from $60 to $70 isn't shocking. And if someone was willing to pay $60 for a game, I feel like it's extremely unlikely that they would think that it's not worth $70. In other words, that extra $10 is probably not a dealbreaker for someone who would pay $60 to begin with. The only people who would balk at new prices are those with financial constraints or those who are used to paying less by waiting for sales anyway.

Reactions: hersheyfan

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
In addition to this, you can see that whenever a game releases with multiple editions (standard/deluxe/ultimate), the higher tier editions do extremely well in the top sellers charts. I seem to recall a news blurb recently in which a developer said that something like 40% of the total number of copies of their game that sold were the ultimate/highest tier edition. And if you play live service games you'll see a lot of people are willing to spend good amounts of money on cosmetics and such. No judgement though, even I've done that many times.

The bottom line is that people are willing to pay more for their games now. People see the prices of everything in the world around them going up so a $10 increase in video game prices from $60 to $70 isn't shocking. And if someone was willing to pay $60 for a game, I feel like it's extremely unlikely that they would think that it's not worth $70. In other words, that extra $10 is probably not a dealbreaker for someone who would pay $60 to begin with. The only people who would balk at new prices are those with financial constraints or those who are used to paying less by waiting for sales anyway.
I feel that people like us on this board (with enormous backlogs of games) arent representative of the market at large.

When I see a game with an inflated price, I get sticker shock and usually opt to buy another game with a deeper sale or better regional pricing. They don't have a lot of leverage on me, because I have a huge well of games to play while waiting on a price drop. But if I was the type to only buy a few games a year anyway, I guess a ten dollar jump wouldnt move the needle much.

I am worried about the logical endpoint of this though - if everybody decides to raise their prices to take advantage of this "new pricing meta", then success will generally be limited to a few select publishers, with everybody else competing for scraps.

Edit: We already have some examples of publishers walking things back somewhat. XSEED attempted USD price parity with Rune Factory 5 on Steam, and apparently it faceplanted; they've since reimplemented regional pricing across their entire Steam portfolio. So the formula doesnt work for everybody, I guess?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
As much as I love my Metal Gear...

I did send in a more serious GOTY vote.

GOTY 2023
1. Baldur's Gate 3 (PC)
2. Starfield (PC)
3. Persona 3 Portable (PC)
4. Metal Gear Solid (PC)
5. Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (PC)

Short Motivation for GOTY:
BG3 consumes you with all the choices, outcomes, writing and storytelling. The turn based combat was so fun and so tactical. All the characters were amazing. The production values and multiplayer component elevate this game to being a true next gen experience. And it will be a special for many years to come.

Ongoing:
Dead Cells

Early Access of the year:
Halls of Torment

Best Soundtrack:
Atomic Heart

Best Old Game:
Stardew Valley

Overall it was another great year for games.

I'm disappointed in myself for not playing Armored Core VI but it really did come out at a bad time.

I'm so sorry Miyazaki for I have sinned :disappointed-but-relieved-face:

I will do my best to pick it up some time later this year.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Strange the game is already running out of Steam. It's like someone closed off the Valve for the pipe that gives the game any actual attention and audience.
I trust Ubisofts leadership to figure out what the issue is and why it involves the lack of NFTs.
I am just glad Ubisoft are game publishers and not something like financial advisors. Getting huge "Spend less on candles" vibes.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
At this point in time, and considering all their massive failures in the past 5 years or so, you have to assume that Ubi is just a front for a money laundering scheme. There's no way it wouldn't have gone under if all they did was make and publish games.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I only started playing BG3 a few days ago, so it's not in my ballot. The game is great though. I clocked nearly 20 hours already. :flare_bath:

GOTY 2023
1. Trails into Reverie (PC)
2. Trails to Azure (PC)
3. Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (PC)
4. Witch on The Holy Night (PC)
5. Star Ocean The Second Story R (PC)

Trails into Reverie represents the swan song of the merry band of characters we've been following for almost 20 years in the best way possible, but while it ends on a high note, the series is still far from over. Taking its cues from Trails in the Sky 3rd, Reverie has done its best to honour the characters in the best way it could, although it was unfortunately still missing some key characters for one reason or another. Nevertheless, the secret ending certainly will get long time fans of the series real excited, including yours truly.

Best Soundtrack:
Tokyo Necro (PC)

Best Old Game:
Boku no Natsuyasumi 2: Umi no Bouken-hen (Playstation 2)

Special Mention:
Everyone should play Mahoyo. The localisation may be spotty in a few places, but you'll fall in love with the characters. Not immediately, maybe. But surely.
Secondly, play BokuNatsu2. A cheap copy may not exist ($15 AUD from Mercari or $60 from eBay. Take your pick) but it is absolutely worth it. It will change your life.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
My vote. I only completed one 2023 game so there you go. Not like I would have chosen another game

GOTY 2023
1. Robocop: Rogue City (Xbox)

Shooting creeps in the nuts is a funny and memorable scene in movie history, but Robocop the movie is larger than that: it is the story of a honorable lawman named Alex Murphy, who was resurrected into a crime-fighting robot while magically retained his human sides and memories. It is a movie about love, justice, and the internal struggle of being a half-man-half-machine. Teyon, the developers behind the game, understands Robocop, and they perfectly translate what made Robocop a cinematic classic into this videogame. The game is bombastic, yet emotional, and serves as the ideal continuation of the franchise.

Oh, and you can still shoot creeps in the nuts. What a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠

The part I'm most disappointed in though is that they chose to keep that horrible washed out color tone. It was bad enough in the first game but now we're in the age of 4k oleds and HDR so it will only look worse. Watching footage of it reminds me of playing FF16 last year on my oled which was...a trial to say the least.
I don't agree with any of this, but especially the last bit.

FF16 looked amazing on an OLED

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I don't agree with any of this, but especially the last bit.

FF16 looked amazing on an OLED
Nah it has the same muted color tone DD uses in a lot of scenes. The desert is probably the one day time area that looks pretty good because it didn't crush as much.

I also disagree that 16 looks amazing on anything not just an oled. The CG cutscenes look good (if there's no particle effects so you can see what's going on) but the rest of the game's graphics are like early ps4 level.

Status
Not open for further replies.