MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
IMO if it's enough to pass ESRB I think it should be fine for release
I'm only about 2 hours in and while there is plenty of fan service, I still feel it's rather tame compared to some low-budget, borderline shovelware eroge which Valve actually allowed to be published on their store.

I feel the games are hidden gems of sorts. It's very Wizardry-like. Tough as nails, but also a lot of fun. Definitely one of the best DRPGs I ever had the pleasure to play.

Besides, cracked .exes for both DT2 and DT2-2 has been out for a couple of months already, making the DRM issue a moot point at this stage.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
It’s too gross, shiravune should follow Nightmare standards, to be those games allowed.
/s

Advice: +18 game so funking gross, enter on your own good.

It’s just Valve has no criteria. That’s all.

Last edited:

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
It’s too gross, shiravune should follow Nightmare standards, to be those games allowed.
/s

Advice: +18 game so funking gross, enter on your own good.

It’s just Valve has no criteria. That’s all.
The only possible reason from others guessing is there is someone on the review team that's actively rejecting these kind of games. Since all these inconsistency won't happen if there are actual procedure in place. :disappointed-face:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The only possible reason from others guessing is there is someone on the review team that's actively rejecting these kind of games. Since all these inconsistency won't happen if there are actual procedure in place. :disappointed-face:
I was hoping they’d stamped this out after the Spike Chunsoft incident.

A lot of these games that are inconsistently banned are games I don’t want to play, but Valve seriously needs to publicly set their criteria and their reviewers need to stick to it.

And if discretion is allowed in the review period, then that discretion needs to be peer reviewed internally (and perhaps lead to amendments to the public guidance) so everyone knows what the rules are.

Given that their bans seem inconsistent, I don’t think they’re actually doing that. Would like to be proven wrong however.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm concerned about larian's rapid growth because crpgs have always been a niche genre with limited support and BG3 seems to have ballooned into a proper modern day AAA game. It may pay off with this game but what about the next one? In a world where everything has to be bigger and bolder than the last game are they gonna expand to 800 devs and a 7-8 year project now? They run the risk of growing out of control and putting themselves in a spot where one underperforming game, not even a total flop, will put them in a dire spot. And that's probably what a lot of these bigger companies are betting on. Just waiting for the chance to pounce on a desperate company.
I feel like people aren't really taking into account Larian's history in these discussions.

Larian has been one game away from bankruptcy for much of its existence. In fact, they basically went bankrupt once. I'd argue that the time since D:OS is actually by far the most financially secure period for the company, not the most dangerous.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Larian has posted their final pre-launch community update it. In it, they clarify the 72 hour head start will not be happening on PC, as they are releasing the game a month early.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
The hololive visual novel about Minato Aqua, Aquarium, is getting a PC version in the Hololive shop, and a Steam version at a later date.

The Windows version of AQUARIUM, the visual novel produced by & starring Minato Aqua, is available for pre-order! Includes OFFICIAL SHOP-exclusive deluxe bonuses! And a brand-new side story!

* A Steam version will become available later on.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Finally DirectStorage 1.2 game.

Hey everyone,

In two weeks, Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart is launching on Steam! Many of you have asked for details about the technologies used and the system requirements. Today we are answering those questions and on top of that we have some exciting new feature announcements.

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:
\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:
\u201cFor Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion and XeGTAO
In our initial announcement we shared that Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC will feature ray-traced reflections and newly added ray-traced shadows for natural outdoor light. Today we can reveal the addition of another option that will further enhance the realism of light in the game: Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion, with various quality levels to choose from.

Graphics Programmer Menno Bil explains:

\u201cAmbient occlusion is a technique used in games to simulate how ambient lighting affects a scene. Ambient lighting is a form of indirect lighting: the light reflected from other surfaces. This effect mostly appears at creases, cracks, and corners where surfaces are close to each other. Commonly used AO techniques are SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO+ (Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion). These are not very demanding on the hardware, but they do not provide physically accurate results. RTAO utilizes ray-tracing to further enhance the realism of ambient occlusion in the game. We have implemented RTAO as an addition for those with high-end systems with ray-tracing compatible hardware and processing power to spare.\u201d

Menno and the team also implemented XeGTAO; Intel\u2019s implementation of Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion.
Like SSAO and HBAO+, this solution is based on screen-space. Therefore, this technique does not enable the level of realism that RTAO does, but the performance cost is much lower and comparable to that of the HBAO+ implementation. XeGTAO is selectable as an option in the game and works with graphics cards from all vendors. \u201cXeGTAO generates a very high-resolution ambient occlusion that shows even the smallest details in geometry. Overall, the output quality of XeGTAO is very high and results in a pleasant look.\u201d

System Requirements
Now that we have detailed all the features of Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart for PC, it is time to tell you more about the system requirements. When making a PC version of a game, we put a lot of work into scalability. Additions like ray-traced shadows, ray-traced ambient occlusion and triple screen support are aimed at those with the latest and greatest hardware so they can push their systems. With highly customizable graphics and features, we make the game scale to less powerful systems, to make it accessible for as many gamers as possible. Below is an overview of the recommended specifications for a variety of graphical presets.

PC SPECS

While Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game's signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

The intergalactic adventurers are back with a bang in Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart!

Go dimension-hopping with Ratchet and Clank as they venture onto a PC near you for the very first time. Help them take on an evil emperor from another reality as you jump between action-packed worlds and beyond.

If you pre-purchase ahead of launch, you'll get access to the following in-game items early in your playthrough:
  • Pixelizer Weapon
  • Carbonox Armor set
The PC version includes the five armors of the Digital Deluxe Edition and the 20th Anniversary Armor Pack, with another five armors inspired by previous games in the series.

With their own universe next in the firing line, dust off the dynamic pair\u2019s outrageous weaponry and stop a dimensional collapse in its tracks!

Unite the double team supreme with a cast of familiar allies and new faces, including newcomer Rivet. She\u2019s a Lombax resistance fighter from another dimension, who is just as determined to take out the robotic scourge.

Enjoy a dazzling interdimensional adventure. Developed by acclaimed studio Insomniac Games and brought to PC by Nixxes Software, you\u2019ll go beyond what you see with in-game actions coming to life in your hands via the DualSense\u2122 wireless controller.

Haptic feedback and adaptive trigger technology create lifelike sensations: feel the hum of a spacecraft vibrate across the surface of the controller, or the kick of pulling your trusty Enforcer\u2019s trigger.

PC features:

• Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure as Ratchet and Clank make their way to PC for the very first time!
  • Wrap your eyes around delightful, diverse dimensions, with ultra-wide support for 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor support) resolutions!*
  • See the omniverse brought to life with the option of unlocked frame rates! You can also enjoy ray-traced reflections, as well as newly added, ray-traced shadows for exteriors.**
  • Witness the very latest, performance-enhancing upscaling technologies for yourself, including NVIDIA DLSS 3, AMD FSR 2, Intel XeSS and Insomniac Games\u2019 Temporal Injection. NVIDIA Reflex and image quality-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA are also supported.
  • Play with the DualSense\u2122 controller to experience haptic feedback and dynamic trigger effects.*** Or choose mouse and keyboard \u2013 with a wide range of control customization options.
  • Includes support for achievements and cloud saves on PC game launchers.

* Compatible PC and display device required.
** Compatible PC and graphics card required for enhanced graphics.
*** Wired connection required to experience the full range of in-game controller features.

\u00a92023 Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC.
Developed and created by Insomniac Games, Inc. PC version by Nixxes Software BV.
Ratchet &amp; Clank and Ratchet &amp; Clank Rift Apart are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC.
Insomniac Games is a trademark of Insomniac Games, Inc.

&quot;,&quot;commentcount&quot;:0,&quot;tags&quot;:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I feel like people aren't really taking into account Larian's history in these discussions.

Larian has been one game away from bankruptcy for much of its existence. In fact, they basically went bankrupt once. I'd argue that the time since D:OS is actually by far the most financially secure period for the company, not the most dangerous.
The games they're making now dwarf divinity OS in budget. They're in the big leagues now and they have no one backing them if a game under performs, they're walking on a dangerous tightrope.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reading about all the discussions about the BG3 bear sex scene, I have come to a conclusion: A lot of people have too much free time on their hands. But I guess that is also about social media in general.

Me on the other side found the scene to be weird and funny, then I moved on with my life and Im looking forward to the game's full release.

In general, a lot of people need to learn not to give a shit, it can help them a lot. Being able to not give a shit, especially about things they have no control over or have nothing to do with them, is important and can make people's lifes a lot better, imo.

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The games they're making now dwarf divinity OS in budget. They're in the big leagues now and they have no one backing them if a game under performs, they're walking on a dangerous tightrope.
Not wrong, but then again is that really an issue.
Yea, if they go bankrupt because their next game bombs that'd be sad, but if they can make one of the greatest RPG's ever made right now it's a price worth paying.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Menno and the team also implemented XeGTAO; Intel\u2019s implementation of Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion.
Like SSAO and HBAO+, this solution is based on screen-space. Therefore, this technique does not enable the level of realism that RTAO does, but the performance cost is much lower and comparable to that of the HBAO+ implementation. XeGTAO is selectable as an option in the game and works with graphics cards from all vendors. \u201cXeGTAO generates a very high-resolution ambient occlusion that shows even the smallest details in geometry. Overall, the output quality of XeGTAO is very high and results in a pleasant look.\u201d
This is the first time I'm hearing about this, will have to look into it.

Also, the paste is broken :p

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France

Hey everyone,

In two weeks, Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart is launching on Steam! Many of you have asked for details about the technologies used and the system requirements. Today we are answering those questions and on top of that we have some exciting new feature announcements.

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

\u201cTo enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.\u201d

\u201cFor Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.\u201d

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

In our initial announcement we shared that Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart on PC will feature ray-traced reflections and newly added ray-traced shadows for natural outdoor light. Today we can reveal the addition of another option that will further enhance the realism of light in the game: Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion, with various quality levels to choose from.

\u201cAmbient occlusion is a technique used in games to simulate how ambient lighting affects a scene. Ambient lighting is a form of indirect lighting: the light reflected from other surfaces. This effect mostly appears at creases, cracks, and corners where surfaces are close to each other. Commonly used AO techniques are SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO+ (Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion). These are not very demanding on the hardware, but they do not provide physically accurate results. RTAO utilizes ray-tracing to further enhance the realism of ambient occlusion in the game. We have implemented RTAO as an addition for those with high-end systems with ray-tracing compatible hardware and processing power to spare.\u201d

System Requirements
Now that we have detailed all the features of Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart for PC, it is time to tell you more about the system requirements. When making a PC version of a game, we put a lot of work into scalability. Additions like ray-traced shadows, ray-traced ambient occlusion and triple screen support are aimed at those with the latest and greatest hardware so they can push their systems. With highly customizable graphics and features, we make the game scale to less powerful systems, to make it accessible for as many gamers as possible. Below is an overview of the recommended specifications for a variety of graphical presets.

PC SPECS

While Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game's signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

The intergalactic adventurers are back with a bang in Ratchet &amp; Clank: Rift Apart!

Go dimension-hopping with Ratchet and Clank as they venture onto a PC near you for the very first time. Help them take on an evil emperor from another reality as you jump between action-packed worlds and beyond.

If you pre-purchase ahead of launch, you'll get access to the following in-game items early in your playthrough:
  • Pixelizer Weapon
  • Carbonox Armor set
The PC version includes the five armors of the Digital Deluxe Edition and the 20th Anniversary Armor Pack, with another five armors inspired by previous games in the series.

With their own universe next in the firing line, dust off the dynamic pair\u2019s outrageous weaponry and stop a dimensional collapse in its tracks!

Unite the double team supreme with a cast of familiar allies and new faces, including newcomer Rivet. She\u2019s a Lombax resistance fighter from another dimension, who is just as determined to take out the robotic scourge.

Enjoy a dazzling interdimensional adventure. Developed by acclaimed studio Insomniac Games and brought to PC by Nixxes Software, you\u2019ll go beyond what you see with in-game actions coming to life in your hands via the DualSense\u2122 wireless controller.

Haptic feedback and adaptive trigger technology create lifelike sensations: feel the hum of a spacecraft vibrate across the surface of the controller, or the kick of pulling your trusty Enforcer\u2019s trigger.

PC features:

• Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure as Ratchet and Clank make their way to PC for the very first time!
  • Wrap your eyes around delightful, diverse dimensions, with ultra-wide support for 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor support) resolutions!*
  • See the omniverse brought to life with the option of unlocked frame rates! You can also enjoy ray-traced reflections, as well as newly added, ray-traced shadows for exteriors.**
  • Witness the very latest, performance-enhancing upscaling technologies for yourself, including NVIDIA DLSS 3, AMD FSR 2, Intel XeSS and Insomniac Games\u2019 Temporal Injection. NVIDIA Reflex and image quality-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA are also supported.
  • Play with the DualSense\u2122 controller to experience haptic feedback and dynamic trigger effects.*** Or choose mouse and keyboard \u2013 with a wide range of control customization options.

*** Wired connection required to experience the full range of in-game controller features.

Developed and created by Insomniac Games, Inc. PC version by Nixxes Software BV.
Ratchet &amp; Clank and Ratchet &amp; Clank Rift Apart are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC.

RTAO is a nice addition, more interesting for me than RT shadows. Also, another game that uses GPU decompression. This hopefully should allow our CPUs to drive higher frames.
This is the first time I'm hearing about this, will have to look into it.

Also, the paste is broken :p
GitHub - GameTechDev/XeGTAO: An implementation of [Jimenez et al., 2016] Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion, MIT license

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Nixxes showing everyone else how it’s done.

Rift Apart is a PS5 showcase, and still one of the most technically impressive games for that system.

If those minimum specs and scalability play out as promised, that’s a new bar set for PC versions of current gen games. No fucking excuses.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I just love it when the PC gaming community gives these companies a bloody nose. They all think they can use exclusivity to force customers to use their shitty platforms but instead customers are saying "oh your game is exclusive to your trainwreck of a launcher? Nevermind, I'll play something else". Beautiful, just beautiful.

If CoD couldn't do it image how Ubisoft is doing.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

Hey everyone,

System Requirements

PC SPECS

• Pixelizer Weapon
  • Carbonox Armor set

PC features:

No SSD needed for minimum requirements? Almost like the PS5's magical SSD wasn't needed after all. Who would've thunk? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Honestly Battle.net is a decent app. But only for Blizz games.

It was always very stupid to make other shit exclusive to it.

I'm expecting Xbox to just insert a gamepass tab inside Battle.net and have their MAUs connect with the gamepass client. They will add a bunch of perks and benefits as well. And I'm totally expecting them to dump a lot of games on Steam once the deal is finalized. They will probably spread everything out over 12-24 months so they can make the most money with it.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
So when we get honored with Battle net purchased games on Steam like they did with Bethesda launcher?.
Let's start that promo, Microsoft ^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.