Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Or the timed exclusivity is just for console and SE will shadowdrop PC version a week before PS4 release.

Won't happen though.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Or the timed exclusivity is just for console and SE will shadowdrop PC version a week before PS4 release.

Won't happen though.
Nah, it's timed for every system, pretty much like World of Final Fantasy. although it would be funny as hell.

Reactions: PC-tan and LEANIJA

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Don't forget about this week's midweek madness. Good until Friday.

I'm no expert, but y'all can ask me for recommendations! :dana_bed:
Master Magistrate is currently 10% off, the first discount since it got released into early access:

According to the developers the price will go up once it leaves EA in May, so it is probably worth checking out if you are interested in an Ace Attorney-esque VN.

Reactions: Tizoc and Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
According to the developers the price will go up once it leaves EA in May, so it is probably worth checking out if you are interested in an Ace Attorney-esque VN.
Is the localisation decent, at least? I'm a little wary after ShiraVN's release of Uta collection which was less than stellar.

Reactions: 「Echo」

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Is the localisation decent, at least? I'm a little wary after ShiraVN's release of Uta collection which was less than stellar.
From what I hear the translation of MM is actually good.
I'll probably pick it up later today, so I'll read a bit of the beginning and report back on the quality.

Reactions: 「Echo」 and Kvik

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Been playing the Daughters of Ash mod for Dark Souls remastered.

Wasn't feeling it at all the first couple hours but soon after it gets good. Kinda hard too it really kicked my ass a couple times so far.

Its really interesting replaying that game when bonfires are in different locations and you have new items/progression/storylines etc. Some of the enemy placement is infuriating too. Almost DS2 levels of bs.

Still tho its very fun and I totally recommend it to anyone who wants a cool way to re-experience that game. An all around impressive mod.

PTD version has it too btw.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Kyougar let me guess, they say there is no reason to panic and buy hardware asap because of a fear of short supply ?
Man, that's totally me ! :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Don't forget about this week's midweek madness. Good until Friday.
I'm no expert, but y'all can ask me for recommendations! :dana_bed:

I was on a VN kick some time back and going through my Wishlist these two popped up with nice discounts. Thing is, I don't remember the details of the research I did to add them to my Wishlist in the first place!

I've already got most of the real popular ones. The stuff non-VN fans have at least heard of like Steins; Gate, Clannad, Doki Doki, Dream Daddy, Eliza, VA-11, Zero Escape, Hatoful BF, etc.

Any feed back on maybe 1 or 2 picks from the ones I linked above? I'm leaning more toward the latter 2 as they're under $5.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Kyougar let me guess, they say there is no reason to panic and buy hardware asap because of a fear of short supply ?
Man, that's totally me ! :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
TLDR:

• commodities are completely different to essential foodstuff, don't panicbuy luxury items
  • his own suppliers in Taiwan are 3 weeks behind on manufacturing
  • there is a rush to get (already manufactured) parts out of Taiwan and China and you have to pay a premium if you want to jump the queues
  • they won't take new orders right now
  • if you wanted to buy a PC or a hardware part in the next 2 months, sure, go ahead
  • if you wanted to buy new parts in summer or fall, don't
  • if you wanted to buy new parts end of year or next year and panicbuying right now, just stop and think what that would mean and in what kind of economic peril we would be when there is still no stock in a year.
  • if you are a small business and have economic considerations, go ahead. (SB's who have no parts or complete PC's stored if something breaks)

Reactions: Aaron D. and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
POE has gone from occasional slowdowns to regular as I already said, but yesterday it hit poop town toward the end of act 3. I mean micro freezes during certain animations level of poop. I didn't have it in me to launch a fps counter, but man that must have been rough.
And the perplexing thing is that I couldn't go back to a stable frame-rate even with lowering graphical options.
I even tried going 720p (but I can't say if it worked, the result was oof and I insta got back).

I hope the new GPU can help and that this isn't solely on the CPU.

Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
POE has gone from occasional slowdowns to regular as I already said, but yesterday it hit poop town toward the end of act 3. I mean micro freezes during certain animations level of poop. I didn't have it in me to launch a fps counter, but man that must have been rough.
And the perplexing thing is that I couldn't go back to a stable frame-rate even with lowering graphical options.
I even tried going 720p (but I can't say if it worked, the result was oof and I insta got back).

I had massive stuttering problems, long load times, and area switch desyncs until I switched to an SSD and installed PoE there. All those problems were gone with my 5 year old CPU and 6 year old GPU.
Didn't test yet with my completely new PC :Þ

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Couldn't it be server-side ? After all the game is online and thinking back about how little the slowdowns were impacted by lowering the settings...

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Guys, I miss having a gaming PC so damn much! Wonder if I can make a kickstarter or gofundme for a new gaming PC?XD
coughs Shadow is pretty good.

That being said that Division patch is bullshit. In what world do developers treat 100+gb as disposable temp space? This would never fly on consoles.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I'm so clever! I moved Division 2 to an extrernal drive and will try to update it there, maybe the patched game will be smaller and then I can move it back to my harddrive and can continue to play!
The game is around 65gb once it is completed. It just needed that room for unpacking I guess. And yes, even though I have the room I found it just as annoying.

PoE's servers were crapping the bed yesterday, so performance was at its worse, with slowdowns and freezes for everyone. Maybe it was that. It's interesting because in 7 or so years the game has been live, you can count the total downtime hours on two hands. It was one of the biggest innovations at the time where every other game required weekly maintenance periods, PoE would just deploy a patch, and boom you were in a queue for no longer than 15 minutes.

The game has an included FPS and latency counter, just hit F1 (hit twice again to get rid). I doubt it is your PC, as the game runs on potatoes, but enabling dynamic resolution might help. There are some settings like global illumination that are killer even for top of the line PCs. A bit of a remnant of the game being patched together on such an outdated engine with modern settings on top.

I hope that helps.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But my internet connection isn't haha, but I am eyeing if I should get an internet connection. But to start it costs 60 euro and that stings.
I thought France had pretty good internet, are you overseas? Though yes, the quality of the connection is paramount.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I thought France had pretty good internet, are you overseas? Though yes, the quality of the connection is paramount.
I am in Paris yes, but I'm using my phone for internet connection. So I don't have a a real internet connection.

Edit: Or to be more precise, I'm using my phone to connect to a public wifi that I tether to my computer haha. It's fast but the ping is horrible. So I can download just fine but yeah anything other than that is shit.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I am in Paris yes, but I'm using my phone for internet connection. So I don't have a a real internet connection.
Oh, got it. Yeah, if you want a good experience, you need about 25+mbs and an ethernet connection. I had no idea 60€ was the starting price though, that's really steep if you are broke. Sorry for assuming.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Plenty of must-buys in there still. Classics like 428, Ace Attorney, Umineko, Higurashi, FataMoru and VA-11 Hall-A as if there's someone out there who still doesn't own it. Plus more recent stuff like Raging Loop, Aokana and Yu-No.
I own all the Higurashis (haven't played them) and bought the Umineko pack. Need to play all these games someday, they keep piling up. And yet here I am, replaying House in Fata Morgana instead of playing the prequel or other games. In my defense, it's a wonderful game.

I love the fact that they put Yakuza first. This gives me a little hope that the rest of the games will come to PC.

Reactions: Virix and PC-tan

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Oh, got it. Yeah, if you want a good experience, you need about 25+mbs and an ethernet connection. I had no idea 60€ was the starting price though, that's really steep if you are broke. Sorry for assuming.
Would wifi be good enough? Because if I would get the internet connection, it's fast but I would only be able to connect with wifi. Also nothing to be sorry about.:D (I also made an edit to my post clarifying my internet situtation)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Would wifi be good enough? Because if I would get the internet connection, it's fast but I would only be able to connect with wifi. Also nothing to be sorry about.:D (I also made an edit to my post clarifying my internet situtation)
I can't recommend playing a shooter with that configuration. The input delay would be the stuff of nightmares. It's okay with, say, a strategy or RPG game where the mouse is your client's and you don't feel the lag as much, but with anything moving the camera, that wifi+tether is going to get you an insane amount of latency.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I can't recommend playing a shooter with that configuration. The input delay would be the stuff of nightmares. It's okay with, say, a strategy or RPG game where the mouse is your client's and you don't feel the lag as much, but with anything moving the camera, that wifi+tether is going to get you an insane amount of latency.
Ah damn. Most rpgs and such I can play fine on my laptop, it's the AAA games that I would need streaming for. Maybe I need to get one of those ethernet dongles for my laptop.

Thanks!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Oh man, I thought this was from the House Flipper devs until I hit the link only to discover it wasn't.

Boo.
it probably won't come out anyway :p like most PlayWay stuff

at this point i'm like 95% sure they're just shitting out those purely-CG trailers fishing for attention ... and if anything gets lots of clicks and wishlists (and articles) - only then they actually go ahead and start developing the game

Reactions: LEANIJA

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
finally watched some Alyx gameplay and didnt realize it is basically a PnC shooter
Huh?

Assuming "PnC" means "point and click" then I'd say it's farther from that than any "flat" FPS ever released. Given that you actually aim.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Ah damn. Most rpgs and such I can play fine on my laptop, it's the AAA games that I would need streaming for. Maybe I need to get one of those ethernet dongles for my laptop.

Thanks!
To give you an idea, using a 5ghz wifi right next to the router induces a very noticable latency compared to ethernet that makes playing an FPS game very uncomfortable. I'm sorry for you. I would recommend trying GFN to get an idea of how it feels in practice.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
well unless im totally missing the mark on the gameplay it looked like you picked a spot to move to and would do whatever exploring/combat you needed to do from that spot unlike typical FPS movement?
That is only with one of the three movement options (teleportation) you have fading (which glides you to the spot instead of teleporting) and real traversal.
But even with teleportation movement, you don't have predestined spots you telport to, you can teleport anywhere where you could normally walk to. Teleportation is so widespread in VR games because less people get motion sickness from it.

Reactions: Firewithin

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
well unless im totally missing the mark on the gameplay it looked like you picked a spot to move to and would do whatever exploring/combat you needed to do from that spot unlike typical FPS movement?
I haven't watched any HL Alyx videos at all but it sounds like you describing a Teleportation movement style. Very popular and not unusual in any way. Useful for people like me who only ever VR from a chair. Though in my case I VR from a chair because I only play racing games. VR games sometimes have a few different movement styles because some styles make some people sick etc. No idea if this is the case with ALyx.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
lol no only had time for first one before i left for work. im dumb and should have waited to watch all three :p
Given that this is a somewhat common reaction Valve should probably have reversed the order of the videos.

Teleportation is a safer way to play VR games for many people -- and it's actually not nearly as distracting IMHO if you are the one actively doing the teleporting -- but it's probably not the best way to initially present the game to people unfamiliar with it, especially if you support the more familiar movement style just as well.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Isn't the "regular" movement style kinda nauseating? Like you float in highspeed around a complex space or something
Don't have a frame of reference here so curious what people with VR experience think about this

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I want to know WHERE ARE THE MICROSOFT GAMES? remember when he said that he would bring most of the catalog? :confounded-face:
I don't actually remember.

But this reminded me of when a bunch of the games media misread the line about 20 games from Phil's blog post, that was amusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mor

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Isn't the "regular" movement style kinda nauseating? Like you float in highspeed around a complex space or something
Don't have a frame of reference here so curious what people with VR experience think about this
It depends on the individual.
For some, it's always nauseating.
Some get used to it with more exposure.
And for a few it's never an issue.
So alternative movement schemes are most certainly needed when you want to reach a wide audience.

But that doesn't mean that you can't use smooth movement to present the game IMHO -- especially since teleport is far more distracting when watching a video compared to when you are the one playing and doing the teleporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.