Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I just tried the Resident Evil 3 demo, and I experienced constant stutters.
I dropped most of the graphical settings, I'm using half of my graphics card memory, but the stutters continue.

I searched around, and it seems this is something people experienced with the Resident Evil 2 Remake as well.
Did anyone have this problem, and managed to fix it?

The demo looks good, appears to be fun, but these stutters are really annoying. :(
No stuttering on my end.
What's your system like?

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Almost 23 million concurrent peak today ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Remember when 18.5 was the record not that long ago? Lol

PC gaming is having a real hard time staying dead.
Tbf, people being in a quarantine is a major factor in this. We saw the same pattern when China was in a quarantine too, and now it's rest of the world's turn. We probably won't see the same peak again in a long time after all this covid tragedy ended.

Also, this pretty much happens on all platforms (consoles and mobiles), not just Steam.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Tbf, people being in a quarantine is a major factor in this. We saw the same pattern when China was in a quarantine too, and now it's rest of the world's turn. We probably won't see the same peak again in a long time after all this covid tragedy ended.

Also, this pretty much happens on all platforms (consoles and mobiles), not just Steam.
The numbers have been steadily growing late last year hovering around near the older records in November and December. The quarantine is definitely responsible for the large spike but I don't think its going anywhere anytime soon. Probably late into summer at this point. And then you have a lot of big fall releases so I think 20+ million is probably here to stay.

I wish we'd get console data. They are very old at this point so I wonder how they are performing. The F2P stuff on consoles like Fortnite, COD and Apex is popular no doubt..but how are the rest of the games out there doing? If they really are setting and breaking records like Valve I wonder if MS/Sony are even in a hurry to release new consoles this fall. Especially if they get much more favorable prices on their new SSDs next year compared to now. It could be the difference between 500 vs 400usd launch. Also the longer global quarantine lasts the more likely a lot of next gen games will be delayed.

Reactions: texhnolyze

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Thanks for posting. Sucks it has timed content, thanks to Corona-chan my bartending gig is down atm so cash is tight. Animal Crossing was a planned purchase, but this... Guess if I put aside like $5-10 a week that should do it!

btw, Hektor I saw you got AC too. If you stick with it, we better figure out how to visit each other!

Reactions: Arsene

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Finished doom eternal on normal yesterday
Game is legit, y'all need it if you are down with running around shooting demons and faltering them with your tools for better ripping and tearing.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
just FYI for everyone - looks like Bamco forgot to set their shitty regional pricing for this one ... so right now it's 100% using volvo's suggestions ... so if you want to get it - NOW is the time
If it's lashman who is telling you to buy Anime, then there is something is wrong 😂

Also I can't benefit from the regional pricing since it costs 50 Euro here

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I dunno, it's SAO.
Even if you like the book/anime, the games are very, very bad. As in, the worst animu trash I've played, and that includes Idea Factory's output.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I dunno, it's SAO.
Even if you like the book/anime, the games are very, very bad. As in, the worst animu trash I've played, and that includes Idea Factory's output.
I really really like Fatal Bullet, but I am 60% sure this is because I get to make my own character and AI partner instead of being forced into the role of Kirito.

Reactions: PC-tan and Kvik

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, the previous SAO games don't look appealing at all. But it was mainly due to their PSP/PSV nature, which made the games look janky and restricted. This is the 2nd game in UE4 and it looks much better, from animation, scope, and presentation. It kinda reminds me of Tales of games now.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I really really like Fatal Bullet, but I am 60% sure this is because I get to make my own character and AI partner instead of being forced into the role of Kirito.
I quite enjoyed the character creator, and it doesn't look that bad... but the gameplay is abysmal, from combat feedback to weapon variety, crappy grapling hook that barely works to the biggest weak point: the AI is literally broken. You allies are completely incapable of doing anything, unlike enemy teams; hence the "broken" term not being a simple figure of speech.
Fatal Bullet is one of the worst anime games I've ever touched.

But this one is more action-like, and those were... well, still very bad. But if FB is 0.5/10, their previous SAO game was like a 3/10. It's a working game at least.

Reactions: Ge0force

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I just tried the Resident Evil 3 demo, and I experienced constant stutters.
I dropped most of the graphical settings, I'm using half of my graphics card memory, but the stutters continue.

I searched around, and it seems this is something people experienced with the Resident Evil 2 Remake as well.
Did anyone have this problem, and managed to fix it?

The demo looks good, appears to be fun, but these stutters are really annoying. :(
Same in RE2 and DMC5 demo, maybe its just shitty optimization for lower end systems.
But RE7 worked fine.

I wonder how scripted this gif.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I wonder how scripted this gif.
I believe it is not at all scripted. The game is designed so that physicality is maximal, and that is how you get this kind of interaction.

If you purchased Valve Index hardware prior to Alyx’s release, you’ll receive a Genuine version of the Alyx Pin from the new collection, as well as an exclusive Half-Life: Alyx Music Kit!
The two exclusive items are only for the people who purchased Index, right? Not cool for all of the people who purchased Alyx without Index.

Reactions: lashman

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I believe it is not at all scripted. The game is designed so that physicality is maximal, and that is how you get this kind of interaction.
I believe it when i see it. I mean in youtube playthrough :p

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Here's the Engadget review of Alyx they accidentally posted early

And FinalFlame hasn't been following his nonsense for as long or as closely as me and a good handful of others. He really isn't reliable. FF was likely referring to the specific case, tbqh.

Or maybe you're FF's Metacouncil alt?! Who knows!

But yeah, he's credible except when he isn't which is also surprisingly often despite the lack of "speculation" tagging

It's also really important to note that FF hasn't been at Valve for a long time & Tylers rarely credible outside of things set in past tense, quite often very long time ago-tense.

At least in my experience & with the stuff I've managed to suss out & be privvy to. :)

Though "shitnugget" probably didn't come off as a funny remark despite it sounding like one in my head, so I apologise for Tyler on that one. :drinking-blob:

I digress, unless something is datamined or directly quoted, it's basically flinging spaghetti at the wall, seeing what sticks.

I mean as recently as a few months ago he made a plethora of laughable claims about Boneworks & about the reason for Alyx being a no-show at TGAs, both of which are... Well, if you've not been following either game it might not be evident, but again, laughable.

("Boneworks is a secret HL game" U wot m8 even Brandon, the creator, didn't get the insanity of the theory :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:)
If you read the context of what FinalFlame says he's not talking about that one specific case. There's also this quote: "^ this. For better or worse, Tyler (often, and in this case) does know what he's talking about."

I'm sure FinalFlame doesn't constantly follow Tyler or watch every video he puts out or knows everything going on at Valve today but you're just being silly dismissing what a former Valve employee says about Tyler. With how secretive Valve is in general and how wiling to work on stuff that never sees the light of day unless you're a current or former Valve employee yourself someone who did work there is going to have a lot better idea of Tyler's general accuracy.

Reactions: lashman and Arsene

LittleDinamit

MetaMember
Dec 23, 2019
I don't trust Playtracker being accurate of Doom Eternal having 200k owners on Steam.

The peak was a little above 100k and Ive heard on Twitter you can muliply a Steam peak by 20x or something, but that also sounds perhaps too much, but overall, 200k owners on Steam cannot be accurater with a 100k peak ccu.

They should implement the mode so people who want to play it can play it.
PlayTracker takes about 5 days to fully reflect real world changes. The 200K you're seeing will continue to rise over the next few days until the system fully crawls all the accounts in our sample.

I will add a warning message on pages of games that are rising in popularity to inform people of this and avoid confusion in the future.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The funniest part about the next gen console spec reveals is Dictator (Digital Foundry's Alex Battaglia) entering threads and, being a PC guy, shooting down "console tech is magic" posts in a matter-of-fact way. There's nothing wrong with people being excited about new technology but seeing people post bullshit after bullshit gets tiring very quickly.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah it's kind of funny seeing everyone go crazy over the next gen consoles, and about PS5 specifically that the SSD is such a huge leap over the last gen... well yeah those harddrives where shit to begin with.

But I am glad that the new consoles aren't that bad this time around.:D

Reactions: Alexandros

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Wow, just found out that Nuuvem is selling Steam keys for Doom Eternal with discount, I may bite.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
FUCKING FINALLY

Niershafen has nothing to offer yet besides tents and haybeds, but you will be welcome to stop by once ist flourished into a world defining metropolis
Free from Nexon, SINoALICE might have a chance in global market. Yorokobe shounen.

My Island is Aeaea (from Greek Mythology), and it's coming along great. My native fruit is pears though, I wanted peaches! What fruit do you have?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Free from Nexon, SINoALICE might have a chance in global market. Yorokobe shounen.

My Island is Aeaea (from Greek Mythology), and it's coming along great. My native fruit is pears though, I wanted peaches! What fruit do you have?

I honestly don't mind if it fails of not as long as I get all the story content translated lol

I have cherries, which is great because cherries are among the best looking fruit if I can humble brag

Reactions: 「Echo」

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The funniest part about the next gen console spec reveals is Dictator (Digital Foundry's Alex Battaglia) entering threads and, being a PC guy, shooting down "console tech is magic" posts in a matter-of-fact way. There's nothing wrong with people being excited about new technology but seeing people post bullshit after bullshit gets tiring very quickly.
Absolutely, and the reverse is true : some of the custom parts of the architecture of these consoles truly are brilliant and nothing short of horsepower can match them. I remember beyond3D being a rather interesting place last gen in that regard with people like sebbi explaining the ins and outs of the architectures.

That being said yes, it's a tiresome time where the ignorance surrounding PC and tech is at an all-time high. On the flip side, I get the feeling that nvidia and intel have really dragged their feet during gen8 and are now paying the price. This gen is amazingly up there in terms of performance and it might take a year or two longer to reach the usual, comfortably-setting-options-at-ultra-for-1080p/60fps point we enjoy.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Absolutely, and the reverse is true : some of the custom parts of the architecture of these consoles truly are brilliant and nothing short of horsepower can match them. I remember beyond3D being a rather interesting place last gen in that regard with people like sebbi explaining the ins and outs of the architectures.

That being said yes, it's a tiresome time where the ignorance surrounding PC and tech is at an all-time high. On the flip side, I get the feeling that nvidia and intel have really dragged their feet during gen8 and are now paying the price. This gen is amazingly up there in terms of performance and it might take a year or two longer to reach the usual, comfortably-setting-options-at-ultra-for-1080p/60fps point we enjoy.
But to to give it to nvidia, they did come out with RTX and that's the most exciting graphics tech in, what, a decade? I am excited for how games will be in the next decade. While I was watching Onward, the pixar movie last night I thought that yeah games still have ways to go to match that kind of quality, but games always do catch up to CGI sooner or later.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
YAY FOR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!

I was playing the new Ori on XGP and it freezed randomly when striking one of those cat-like enemies.
I clos it via task manager, relaunched it, and it freezed at the exact same point (literally, mid-strike against the same enemy).
This time task manager is not of much help, and everything freezes and whatnot.
I try soft-restarting, but after a few minutes looking at the "Restarting" screen, I go ahead and shut down the PC with the power button.
When I turn it on again, it's stuck at the blue Win10 logo screen, with the loading spinner spinning forever.
I try turning it off and on again a few more times, then it starts in automatic repair.
After the "Preparing automatic repair" screen, it goes black (although, I think the monitor is still receiving a signal, otherwise I'd expect it to show the "going in standby shortly" message), and stays black forever.

What should I do? Just suck it up and reinstall Win?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
On the flip side, I get the feeling that nvidia and intel have really dragged their feet during gen8 and are now paying the price. This gen is amazingly up there in terms of performance and it might take a year or two longer to reach the usual, comfortably-setting-options-at-ultra-for-1080p/60fps point we enjoy.
I really don't see much of that -- just an absolute ton of console launch hype same as every generation.

What I do see is:
  • NVidia providing the full graphical feature set of the upcoming consoles 2 years before their launches -- plus more, there are still HW features in RTX cards that aren't in there. This is earlier than ever before regarding console features vs PC GPUs. (And also, of course, a significantly faster GPU 2 years before their launches, which is also earlier than ever before, but that relates to the next point)
  • The entire technology sector simply moving slower than before, which both means that consoles are worse compared to older high-end PCs than before, and that new PCs at a given price point will take longer to significantly outperform consoles. But I don't think you can blame a single company for this, manufacturing just isn't moving as fast as it was due to physical constraints.
  • Things that are relatively minor differentiators in the grand scheme of things being blown out of proportion because marketing is focusing on them and so people learn for the first time that they exist and are suddenly experts. Remember the amazing audio hardware acceleration in XB1 and how that was a huge differentiator? Or the hugely increased number of asnychronous pipelines in PS4 and what an absolutely massive advantage that gave it? No? Hmm, why would that be.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
PSA: Resident Evil 3 Remake street date has been broken and someone has been uploading footage of the whole game so watch out if you want to avoid spoilers.

If you want to see the changes and comparisons to the original there's a leak thread pinned on /r/ResidentEvil though,

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
oh nice, waited for so long for "Book 2" to release after their publisher bacnrupt and took the IP with it .... nice to see they managed to do the rerelease better , will try to get to it soonish
It's nothing mind-blowing but a really well made isometric action-rpg so far with a little jank here and there. Had to overcome the hurdle of expecting something like Diablo 3. Was wondering if I am doing something wrong since the enemies were not dropping like flies. Felt to me they were selling the game a little as something like that. But once I adjusted my expectations I am having a good time.

Yeah, reading that was kinda fascinating. Also kinda eye-opening how little coverage mid-sized games get on popular American videogame sites. Or at least how I haven't seen any news on that story nor any tests for it on the usual places.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I really don't see much of that -- just an absolute ton of console launch hype same as every generation.

What I do see is:
  • NVidia providing the full graphical feature set of the upcoming consoles 2 years before their launches -- plus more, there are still HW features in RTX cards that aren't in there. This is earlier than ever before regarding console features vs PC GPUs. (And also, of course, a significantly faster GPU 2 years before their launches, which is also earlier than ever before, but that relates to the next point)
  • The entire technology sector simply moving slower than before, which both means that consoles are worse compared to older high-end PCs than before, and that new PCs at a given price point will take longer to significantly outperform consoles. But I don't think you can blame a single company for this, manufacturing just isn't moving as fast as it was due to physical constraints.
  • Things that are relatively minor differentiators in the grand scheme of things being blown out of proportion because marketing is focusing on them and so people learn for the first time that they exist and are suddenly experts. Remember the amazing audio hardware acceleration in XB1 and how that was a huge differentiator? Or the hugely increased number of asnychronous pipelines in PS4 and what an absolutely massive advantage that gave it? No? Hmm, why would that be.
Agreed on your last point, though it has to be said that between a technology being present and it being exploited in games, there's a pretty big leap. As Dictator pointed out on the PS5 thread, Star Citizen was pretty much the only game to really start requiring an SSD despite their prevalence for the past what, 5 years, in modern PC.

As for your other points, it comes down to tech moving slower, I can agree with that. I also do seem to recall hearing about the 7nm production process being botched over at Intel, setting them back a good deal. The point remains that the iterative improvement in rasterization performance of cards from one year to the next is, to say the least, rather small compared to both the pace we were used to a decade ago - and I can see your point there - but also their price point.

Nvidia did provide those graphical features but you are being a bit economical with the facts there. If you mean RTX by that, I can't believe I'm making that point because I am not a console gamer and haven't been since the PS1, but yes, the 1080 had RTX - and the performance sucked. I don't think it's a fair point to make. Other features, I definitively agree.

At the end of the day, I agree about the console launch hype and you make a good point about slower process and architecture design now that the silicon has gotten this complicated and huge. Still, it might be out of ignorance but compared to the rate of improvement and innovation we saw a decade ago, I can't help feel nvidia and intel are dragging their feet out of their comfortable market position.

Edit : having woken up a bit, I can definitively agree that minor differentiators are being made into voodoo black magic that is going to be the thing that makes the other box the objectively worse choice. It's the same old song and dance every gen, as you said.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
i agree ... Dictator is a treasure! :)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
YAY FOR COMPUTER PROBLEMS!

I was playing the new Ori on XGP and it freezed randomly when striking one of those cat-like enemies.
I clos it via task manager, relaunched it, and it freezed at the exact same point (literally, mid-strike against the same enemy).
This time task manager is not of much help, and everything freezes and whatnot.
I try soft-restarting, but after a few minutes looking at the "Restarting" screen, I go ahead and shut down the PC with the power button.
When I turn it on again, it's stuck at the blue Win10 logo screen, with the loading spinner spinning forever.
I try turning it off and on again a few more times, then it starts in automatic repair.
After the "Preparing automatic repair" screen, it goes black (although, I think the monitor is still receiving a signal, otherwise I'd expect it to show the "going in standby shortly" message), and stays black forever.

What should I do? Just suck it up and reinstall Win?
Do you have more than one monitor? if not, what display connection are you using? Ive had times where the repair screen wouldnt should up on my monitor because it had display port only plugged in, but if I plugged in HDMI or dvi, it would show up.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Phew. Got through Surface Tension chapter of Black Mesa. That was a long shooty section.

Great game. Enjoying it a lot. Getting some crashes now though. Twice in the last couple of hours.

Reactions: lashman

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Do you have more than one monitor? if not, what display connection are you using? Ive had times where the repair screen wouldnt should up on my monitor because it had display port only plugged in, but if I plugged in HDMI or dvi, it would show up.
Just one monitor (used by 2 different computers, but the input was the correct one).

Anyway, I waited about 1 hour, and now it restarted just fine.
I've even ran a chkdsk just in case, but it didn't find any faults. 🤷‍♂️

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Just one monitor (used by 2 different computers, but the input was the correct one).

Anyway, I waited about 1 hour, and now it restarted just fine.
I've even ran a chkdsk just in case, but it didn't find any faults. 🤷‍♂️
I'm glad it sorted itself out. Windows10 - the cause of and solution to most of its own problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Copons
Status
Not open for further replies.