Community MetaSteam | March 2022 - Try Finger But Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Hmm, I guess in these cases the XBox release is the primary version, the PC version is just an afterthought that probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for gamepass.
It's not announced for game pass yet. So they might get 5 players on PC if lucky.

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Started Bloodstained and I'm digging it.

Also just finished watching Breaking Bad and yeah, it's without a doubt one of the best TV shows of all time and Walter White is one of the most memorable characters ever written.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I mean, because you can, and also for those games you can now play on the go that predate Steam and arent digitally distributed and or dont play nice with Linux/proton.

And i think it's obvious: the sort of gamer that would put Windows on the deck would go through the effort to get old games off cd/dvd and onto it.

I know i would.

Or you work at PCGamer and cant use Steam non-ironically
games from older windows versions often run better on linux because wine has better backward compatibility, especially games from before the NT era, i was actually hoping for "Wine for Windows" for a long time because of that.

so putting old games off of physical discs etc you might as well try SteamOS first rather than having the trouble to install Windows on it, which isnt made for the Deck. your milage with old unsupported games will vary anyway.

but yeah, i obviously dont blame people for using windows, on their pcs or decks or whatever.
I do however, hope most people give SteamOS a chance and stick with it, as that can only bolster linux as a viable gaming platform. the more common it becomes, the better :)

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Just realized since the steam deck is out in the wild now, when are they going to replace Big Picture mode with the deck UI or do they even have plans of doing that?

• Eyes

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm not holding my breath for a BPM update in the near future. Maybe after they fulfil all Steam Deck orders for the privileged regions. Even then... :flare_sleepy:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Just realized since the steam deck is out in the wild now, when are they going to replace Big Picture mode with the deck UI or do they even have plans of doing that?
Soon but you need to account Valve Time into that XD

• Evil

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Well, Valve said it's not coming at launch and they don't have ETA. So don't expect anytime soon. But it's coming ... eventually.
You can ofcourse force it, but it seems to assume it's running on Linux/Steam Deck, so you'll get frequent error popups.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
It's going well for Core Keeper. Yesterday the devs posted that they sold over 100k copies in two days. The game also peaked over 16k players at the same time. Currently it has 11k players playing it now. It's pretty impressive numbers for an indie game

The game has over 1000 reviews which are very positive (94%)

I have yet to try the game myself. Purchased it yesterday, but I am currently occupied with Witcher 3 for the moment. I will try the game tonight or this weekend.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Don’t fret about BPM people, the Deck UI is super hot and while usable I can totally assure you everyone will benefit from a good long series of patch.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Currently it has 11k players playing it now. It's pretty impressive numbers for an indie game
Really good for them

I'm not a fan of sandbox-y games, and my friends prefer games with shorter game loops. That said, I can definitely see there being a market for it (given how popular Minecraft is)

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
BPM is not going to get updated, BPM is going to get ditched in favor of the new gamepad UI from Deck and do not expect it until they finish updating it with new features and fixing some problems here and there, once that's done, Steam will get the new UI for controllers.

As for the third party exclusivities coming from Platform holders like MS and Sony while they release some or all of their content on PC, it's to make sure they can get enough marketing material to make their platform appealing for some amount of time each year, if you have a very important third party within your platform for at least 12 months you can use it to sell your platform in a more wider way.

At the end of the day most if not all games will arrive sooner or later to Steam (except very specific exceptions) so, patience, I guess.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm not holding my breath for a BPM update in the near future. Maybe after they fulfil all Steam Deck orders for the privileged regions. Even then... :flare_sleepy:
I agree with it likely not coming in the near future, but I don't think it has anything to do with fulfilling orders. Even at Valve, I doubt anyone actively involved with that is also working on UI code ;)

I'd expect the priority of all people working on that to be the Steam Deck experience right now, and for the near-term future. Once that is solid they'll probably start porting and generalizing it as necessary to make it replace BPM.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
From user perspective, it's still update tho.
Actually, in some way they are retiring the big visual difference that existed between big picture and the regular Steam UI. The Deck UI uses the same UI elements that you see in the new Steam library, just blown up and modified to fit controller use.
So what that means that if Steam decides to update the look of those elements in the client, you will get the same changes in the Deck UI. It won't be these two completely separate UI experiences, it will hopefully feel far more cohesive.

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

Looks like Origin games purchased on Humble store will be keyless activation after 18th March.

However, we highly suggest redeeming your keys manually before March 18th, as we cannot provide any key replacements or refunds after this date has passed
This only affects games bought from the store. Bundled games aren't affected by this change

(Please note this only affects Humble Store purchases and does not impact EA games purchased as part of a bundle or Humble Choice.)

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Been trying to play Distant Worlds 2 but their font scaling is broken. Even using a workaround they have on their site is dreadful and I can't play it like that. Turning off windows scaling before starting the game isn't much better and I'm an alt-tab do other things kind of person, so thats not doable unless I find my glasses.
So disapointed all around with it. Day-one buying games experience is shit once again.

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! derFeef is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Mar 12, 2022 at 3:51 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

As far as I know no regional restrictions here. But please let me know if redeeming fails for you.

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

• The Surge 2 (Steam)
    • won by FunnyJay
    • (10 entries)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, are you kidding, fuck my life !
After 100 hours of raging on Elden Ring and semi swearing off From games, a couple days pass, I'm still kinda nervous, and bam, 'why not Nioh 2 / Surge 2 / Hellpoint as my next game ?'

As I said multiple times here, I hate and don't care a bit for those games obsession for challenging bosses. But the very exploration of levels being dangerous is incredibly satisfying and addictive.

• Eyes

derFeef

Cthulhu dreams.
Apr 17, 2019
AUT
Oh, are you kidding, fuck my life !
After 100 hours of raging on Elden Ring and semi swearing off From games, a couple days pass, I'm still kinda nervous, and bam, 'why not Nioh 2 / Surge 2 / Hellpoint as my next game ?'

As I said multiple times here, I hate and don't care a bit for those games obsession for challenging bosses. But the very exploration of levels being dangerous is incredibly satisfying and addictive.
Surge 2 is really good.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Been trying to play Distant Worlds 2 but their font scaling is broken. Even using a workaround they have on their site is dreadful and I can't play it like that. Turning off windows scaling before starting the game isn't much better and I'm an alt-tab do other things kind of person, so thats not doable unless I find my glasses.
So disapointed all around with it. Day-one buying games experience is shit once again.

Looks like the issues outlined above are being addressed by 1.0.1.5 Hotfix. Available for manual patching right now off of the link above, expected to land on Steam very soon.

As luck wouldn't have it, my office just reopened fulltime this week so that completely torpedoed any hardcore free time hours available to drop into DW2. Still managed to tour the game for an hour or so last night and I'm quite enjoying what I'm seeing so far.

With a game/genre of this size & scope, my early hours are typically spent just gawking, noodling around with the menus, UI, options, tutorials and such. Not so much diving straight into a campaign as much as getting a feel for everything.

Presentation is ace. Performance as well. For a title with such staggering information data points to track, it feels intelligently organized and easy to access 99% of the time.

Early hours with grand strategy titles are hard to gauge on a comprehensive scale, only hinting at the possibilities on offer. So far I'm sensing this will be one of those rare titles like Stellaris and Crusader Kings that will remain on my hard-drive for years to come.

In other news, updated demo for Lorn's Lure dropped today. It's a completely new build from the one that was previously available back in 2021.

Can't wait to give it a test drive as the previous demo insta-sold me on the game.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
I don't understand what's happening with those Origin keys. How can purchased keys be different from bundle keys? Surely if something is being changed then redemption of both would be affected?

• Eyes

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Replaying the advance Castlevania games on the deck is such a dream for me!

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'd guess they're migrating to the new EA launcher and retiring Origin. The last time I used the EA launcher it was somehow worse than Origin, but that's been nearly a year ago.
Perhaps EA is just dropping game keys in favor of account linking, like Ubisoft and Epic are doing?

I'm curious how many people are buying stuff on Origin since EA's games are on Steam and EA Play is on game pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.