Community MetaSteam | March 2022 - Try Finger But Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
It has been many years since I last played Superhot VR on my CV1, but it seemed super polished back then. I wonder if some bad updates have come out, because it didn't seem the least bit janky, nor really physics based (it is/was really deterministic, to a fault kinda).

holy crap 4 years since I last played it...
I doubt they patched the game in such a way as to overhaul the way you interact with it. I suspect you just had the "ideal" experience, and part of the problem is they don't account or adapt for anyone that DOESN'T have the ideal experience. I literally could not recommend it to my IRL friends that have VR even if I thought they would like it, because there are no movement options and they have less room than I do. My tracking is good enough for rhythm games like Synth Riders 99% of the time but SUPERHOT turns that into about 60% of the time because of the way the game doesn't account for less perfect (compared to lighthouses) tracking. I could do the same throw over and over in SUPERHOT (and I did, because of the lack of checkpointing) and it will be a wildly different result each time (sometimes I don't even get to do it because time moved so jumpily that round).

The game is only built to account for people that can have that "trailer" experience which just isn't that many people, when you look into the VR population. It's insult to injury that an established studio did less with their $25 VR game (heavily reusing resources from their already created and successful game) than new studios did on their own from the ground up for less. E.g. Until You Fall has it's share of problems but it is a VR game through and through and makes you feel like you're doing crazy swordfights once you get going.

Some things in it are objectively bad design: Lack of mobility / accessibility, lack of accounting for different VR rigs, DiaS design, lack of settings. The actual mechanics of the game are more subjective and much like the original, when they work they're fine, when they don't they're incredibly bad. The stutteriness of the time passing just amplifies everything so much in the VR version. I think I said before, it felt like a DLC for the base game shoehorned into VR for every second to me.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
New charity bundle (50+ games) on Fanatical, with all proceeds going to Ukraine relief efforts:

While that bundle may lack some "heavyweights" compared to other bundles, it has plenty of cool indie games, including titles that were on my wishlist (like At Eve's Wake) whose lower "on sale" price is pretty much the price of the whole bundle alone.

Among the titles are:
X Rebirth, Truberbrook, Tinkertown, The Falconeer, At Eve's Wake, Aviary Attorney Aviary Attorney, Blightbound, Cloud Gardens, Cosmonautica, Gang Beasts, Necronator: Dead Wrong, Shortest Trip to Earth Shortest Trip to Earth, Swords and Soldiers 2 Shawarmageddon, and plenty more.

It's well worth a look.

---

Still kicking myself I forgot to pick up itch.io's recent charity bundle. :disappointed-face:
Already out of stock - they only had 10k keys per game.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Finished up Elden Ring @ 94 hours. What a masterpiece of a game. Such a joy to play and explore this past month. One of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Whats crazy is I missed out on 3 boss fights achievements lol. Which is insane because I felt like I explored every little region of each map as much as I could. My mind is really blown after looking through the achievments wtf. What a massive game fucking hell.

Best boss fights were
Maliketh
and
Malenia
May just be the two most ridiculous boss fights ever and definitely in FROMs top 5 across all their games imo.

My only real gripe with the game is lack of
covenants. I feel like doing this type of open world could have really expanded on that entire covenant stuff from the souls trilogy. I guess Miyazaki didn't write it into this world but they did do the volcano manor area which I felt was a small enough substitute and maybe they can do some more areas like that in a dlc along with more pvp features etc.

Don't know what to play now. A part of me wants to immediately do a mage/faith run since my entire playthough was strength and a little dex. Another part of me wants to do an SL1 run which I imagine is amazing in this game. Also another playthrough to get the rest of the achievements etc. I swear these are the only type of games that can make me want to immediately playthrough again despite playing for a 100hrs lol. Any other open world game these days would have me so burnt out and happy to be over.

I don't even know how FROM is gonna up themselves after this. I am guessing the new rumored Armored Core will be its own smaller thing like Sekiro and not be open world. There is some potential there for sure but I hope its not too different from their formula. So if ER was their Morrowind I guess we will have to wait another 5 or 6 years before they put out their Oblivion :( I can't even be mad tho. They took their sweet time with this game and it became an instant classic. They can take all the time they want for their next open world game but a part of me hopes they don't do a direct sequel right away and maybe do some type of SyFy thing with alien planets/worlds like DUNE or something like that next. I feel like they have to keep challenging themselves and go crazier n crazier. And then Elden Ring 2 in like 10 years.

Deleted member 113

In speaking of shmup games, Shmup Creator was released last week. The price tag is quite hefty. I probably will buy this in the future
Yeah. And, I've seen some sample games that looked quite cool. :)

I didn't buy it at launch because:
1-my funds are reserved for other upcoming games;
2-I remember I haven't finished any "creative" stuff in decades (I never finished a UT 2014 map I was working on; I believe the last level I completed was for... Doom 2 :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:; I did work on a Duke Nukem 3D map that was so "tall", it kept crashing, and was fully unplayable :LOL:)

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
In speaking of shmup games, Shmup Creator was released last week. The price tag is quite hefty. I probably will buy this in the future
59€ rather than 60€ is amusing choice. As if it mattered to someone buying it, might as well make it 60€ and take than extra 1€ 0.7€

Reactions: Tomasety

Deleted member 113

I forgot to mention, but last week, Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus?, the latest FMV title from Wales Interactive, was released.
I'm yet to play it, but it has been getting some great reviews, and looks like a fun "whodunit".
The cast includes people like the very likeable Al Weaver (Grantchester, ...), who was already quite fun in a previous FMV title.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I'm kind of excited for this game. I love the HD-2D style that Square Enix has been using in a number of their recent games and am happy that more titles are adopting it. I was never really into HOMM, but I'm hoping I can pick up this one.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I doubt they patched the game in such a way as to overhaul the way you interact with it. I suspect you just had the "ideal" experience, and part of the problem is they don't account or adapt for anyone that DOESN'T have the ideal experience. I literally could not recommend it to my IRL friends that have VR even if I thought they would like it, because there are no movement options and they have less room than I do. My tracking is good enough for rhythm games like Synth Riders 99% of the time but SUPERHOT turns that into about 60% of the time because of the way the game doesn't account for less perfect (compared to lighthouses) tracking. I could do the same throw over and over in SUPERHOT (and I did, because of the lack of checkpointing) and it will be a wildly different result each time (sometimes I don't even get to do it because time moved so jumpily that round).

The game is only built to account for people that can have that "trailer" experience which just isn't that many people, when you look into the VR population. It's insult to injury that an established studio did less with their $25 VR game (heavily reusing resources from their already created and successful game) than new studios did on their own from the ground up for less. E.g. Until You Fall has it's share of problems but it is a VR game through and through and makes you feel like you're doing crazy swordfights once you get going.

Some things in it are objectively bad design: Lack of mobility / accessibility, lack of accounting for different VR rigs, DiaS design, lack of settings. The actual mechanics of the game are more subjective and much like the original, when they work they're fine, when they don't they're incredibly bad. The stutteriness of the time passing just amplifies everything so much in the VR version. I think I said before, it felt like a DLC for the base game shoehorned into VR for every second to me.
What you're describing there doesn't surprise me too much, and I wondered if it was modern tracking related (or, I wondered if they had overhauled to account for modern tracking and broke the gameplay in the process). Space wise, yeah there were a few objects that were out of reach for me in SUPERHOT VR, but it was only a few, so it didn't impede my playing much. I don't like how some devs stubbornly refuse to include mobility options. If it's not playable on modern tracking, that is also really disappointing.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I think Ghostwire Tokyo is looking a bit of a dud unfortunately?
It’s sitting at less than 1k reviews right now which can’t be good; concurrent is at 13k just now not sure how good that is really for a game like this
13k concurrent players is pretty decent when taking into consideration that it's still before prime time.
Though, even without counting how much it may still go up during the weekend, 13k is already higher than any of the Yakuza games at least, and comparable to Rage 2. It's nothing amazing, but it can be considered a success depending on the expectations.
I find it likely that it may reach around a similar number of concurrent players as Deathloop and Resident Evil 7, maybe? (Which peaked at 20k).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
It’s sitting at less than 1k reviews right now which can’t be good; concurrent is at 13k just now not sure how good that is really for a game like this
New IP, not the biggest hype machine behind it, that seems like pretty good numbers to me?

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and Tomasety

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
If you go to Skip a Month for Humble Choice is there one or two confirmations? Is this final confirmati0on?

I want to try to skip it to see if they will give me discount but i don't want to actually skip it XD

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
If you go to Skip a Month for Humble Choice is there one or two confirmations? Is this final confirmati0on?

I want to try to skip it to see if they will give me discount but i don't want to actually skip it XD
you can skip and than resume without problems.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Maybe I’m off base then but sub 1k reviews for a AAA release didn’t seem healthy to me for a game that’s been out for a few days
It hasn't been out for days, that was just the reviews embargo.
The game is having a staggered release, if I'm not mistaken it released 25 hours ago in Asia, 16 hours ago in Europe and 12 hours ago in America.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Don't know if this is true for everyone but this month they didn't offer me a discount when I threatened to pause, only when I tried to cancel the subscription. Got 3$ off, so final cost was ~7.5€

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
It hasn't been out for days, that was just the reviews embargo.
The game is having a staggered release, if I'm not mistaken it released 25 hours ago in Asia, 16 hours ago in Europe and 12 hours ago in America.
Oh, I thought the deluxe had early access release a few days ago?

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

If reports are true, Sony will be fighting for games on Spartacus against game pass. I wonder how MS will react to it, meaning there's a much bigger risk for fewer games on PC and Xbox game pass because Sony might try to give devs/pubs a better deal.

Pubs/devs are the winners here, they will simply accept the best offer, PC game pass will be the big loser as even though it will mostly be a competition between subscriptions services on consoles, PC game pass will be affected by this.

First example is Shadow Warrior 3, it's on PS Now (soon to be Spartacus), but not game pass.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Man... When's Kingdom Hearts on Steam gonna get announced?

New job be scary, but I'm getting the hang of it. Part of why I haven't been around here in a while.
to the first one, likely won't until KH event in early April

to the second part, I'm like you with new job and yes, I totally feel you :cat-heart-blob:

• Eyes

Eternia

Feb 28, 2022
They improved on both Evil Within games peak users (1st - 4499, 2nd - 9918), so there's that.

EDIT: Arsene beat me to it!

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

According to Microsoft, the division “works with studios to develop cloud-native titles and bring them exclusively to the Xbox ecosystem”.

The division is led by Kim Swift, who joined Xbox last year as cloud gaming director.

Swift rose to prominence as the project lead and designer of Valve‘s Portal, before working as a designer and artist on Left 4 Dead and its sequel, and was more recently game design director at Stadia.

FunnyJay