Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Played the first 2 levels of SOR4 with Blaze and the game is awesome. The gameplay is fantastic, I felt right at home as soon as I started playing and there are all these little touches that make it even better than the originals. It looks superb and the animation is fantastic. I wish the music was a little more upbeat but other than that I'm very happy, it's like a dream come true.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Weird question: are there any games -- small or large in scope -- in the immersive sim subgenre that were made in Japan?
I don't think so. King's Field and Souls probably the closest you'll get since Ultima Underworld was an inspiration for both.

Reactions: PC-tan

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Apologies if this is not the right place but....
Has anyone managed to force 16x Anisotropic Filtering in Assassin's Creed Origins ? It's not working for me.
Out of the box the game seems to default to something like 4x.
I tried Nvidia Inspector, no dice.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
FFXII, a game that is nearly 20 years old, has no right being sold over 20$ in my opinion. Also it's overall a -43%, why in the world is it displayed as 72%?
because the 72% is the total discount including the "bundle" discount if you wanna call it that way.

For example I already had DQXI so the non-discounted bundle for me would be (in €) 49.99 (okinaki) + 49.99 (FFXII) + 14.99 (CT) = 114.97

I paid 32.75 so that's 28.48%-28.49% of the total

Reactions: Swenhir

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Yeah, that's what I thought. Strange!
I don't think that Japanese devs in large are interested in design philosophy behind immersive sims, it checks a lot of boxes that aren't really prevalent in their games outside of dungeon crawlers, first-person perspective, emphasise on player's freedom in terms of finding solutions to problems and exploration. I can see Kojima making one in the future tho.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Predictions for later today/tonight:

Apart from Rise of Industry, Jurassic World and Niche (lol)

• Felix the Reaper
  • Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
  • DMC
  • Darksiders III

Special Epic key - Satisfactory or Outer Wilds or more likely Bee Simulator

Reactions: Deleted member 113

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I don't think that Japanese devs in large are interested in design philosophy behind immersive sims, it checks a lot of boxes that aren't really prevalent in their games outside of dungeon crawlers, first-person perspective, emphasise on player's freedom in terms of finding solutions to problems and exploration. I can see Kojima making one in the future tho.
I think you actually found one of the few Japanese immersive sim-style games here. MGS5 in particular but also earlier entries do fit the bill to an extent: rich worlds, systems-driven gameplay, lots of world interaction, etc. I personally think Hitman also falls under this category despite not being first-person and not having overt RPG elements. Death Stranding has some of that as well in the sense that it's got these interconnected systems that you can fiddle around with and how they incentivize emergent play. Breath of the Wild also lends some of those design philosophies. The latter two examples of course do away with strict level design and RPG mechanics, but there are some points of overlap.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Do they also prepaint it in other colors other than grey /s

I planned to buy more figures myself but I think I'm going to hold off on that because of what's happening right now.

The last 2 figures that I purchased was the Sekiro DX Figma and the Bloodborne Hunter Nendoroid.
This is how colours should ll look once she's painted (artwork from FGO)

Tbh I'm not too big into figures despite liking them, I also don't really have enough room for that stuff, but I've always been tempted to get some figures of Raita characters, on top of that she's my favourite servant and whaled all the way to NP5 in FGO for her, so that's one figure I'm getting.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My GTX 1080 is still doing well, but damn do I want a pre-order button for the RTX 3080.

Still, will wait until Ryzen 4000 is out before deciding if Im only gonna upgrade my GPU or my whole PC.

Reactions: PC-tan

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
My GTX 1080 is still doing well, but damn do I want a pre-order button for the RTX 3080.
Same, all hail the GTX1080. Haven't run into anything yet, that properly utilises a multi core cpu that I can't play at 1440p >60fps with all (nearly all) the bells and whistles.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This isnt the ps2 version though.
The resources expanded to port it aren't anywhere close to justifying kicking the price tag that high. The overwhelming part of the cost of creating the game happened two decades ago. I'm sorry, but there is no way I can see that Squenix isn't taking the piss with that price, let alone pre-sale.

If it was a really impressive remaster bordering on remake, for instance like Homeworld, I could get behind it. This isn't the case as far as I can tell.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Zombie Army 4 is available for free on Stadia Pro if you subbed free for 2 months (cancel it right after you subbed). Seems like Rebellion is taking as many deals as they can for the game.

It's kinda funny, overall I will be a Stadia Pro member for 5 months all together without paying a cent and I will never buy anything on there either.

Reactions: ISee

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I’ll most likely be upgrading my GPU with a 3070 from a 1070 (I always go for the 70 in every series) when it launches and then my CPU and Mobo around Christmas. Can’t really do it all at the same time.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The Xbox beta app is such a piece of shit that if it weren't for getting game pass dirt cheap last year I would never have subbed to it.

Streets of Rage 4 keeps crashing to dekstop when the intro video is done. Will just grab it on Steam.

Deleted member 113

A while back someone mentioned this game, that is apparently close, in terms of gameplay, to the Phoenix Wright series.

I haven't played it myself, but the screenshots do appear to show similar menus and systems.

I just noticed two things:
-it's getting a "full release" in early June;
-the price will raise in 3 days.

Since the price increase will apparently be bigger than the launch discount next month, if anyone is interested in the game now may be a good time to buy it.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Today might be good !

• Special free Humble Choice game
  • New Humble Choice
  • Humble credit for something I helped them on
  • And I will maybe fucking bite on DMFD

Not too shabby for a random day.

And I would be remiss to mention that due to a certain someone, always the same, firing up my arcade nostalgia, I just got out of a Vasara / Mushihimesama / Deathsmile session :sweaty-blob:

Is there an option to make the last level of Vasara not be one credit only ?

So FunktionJCB, how was your Bare Knuckling yesterday ?

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm tempted to get Rise of Industry...

However the reviews are a bit mixed saying its not got the clearest UI or particularly deep mechanics and I already have a load of City buildery games that i could play. Anyone want to convince me its worth a tenner?

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

So FunktionJCB, how was your Bare Knuckling yesterday ?
Well... OK I guess.
I'm still on level 6 or 7 (I was tired, went to bed). I wanted to complete it in one seating, but clearly last night it wasn't going to happen.

There's a lot to like in the game, but there's also some baffling quirks that I'm struggling to adjust.
Like: why in the hell there's no running/dash for the character I selected, Axel?
Also, I couldn't deal with the new controls, because there's a button just to pick up items (B), and I kept hitting the "old" button, X. So, I selected legacy controls. An improvement, but frequently the character fails to pick up items (like, a lot; I'm standing on top of the item, hit X, and nothing happens), and there's a special that has to be triggered with X + Y in the legacy mode, when they could have easily allow users to use, say, the RB button (like in the "new" controls).

When I finish it later today, I'll post some proper impressions. ;)

But yeah, it's a beat'em up, I love the genre, so a new one is cause for celebration.
As a sequel to my favourite series in the genre, it's good, but surely not "perfect". While much of the game looks great (with a couple of sections looking, strangely, almost incomplete and "empty"), and there's some cools gameplay systems, so far I would place it as better than Streets of Rage 1, but worse than 3 and 2.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ended up waking up at 4AM today instead of going to sleep at 4AM. I'll take it.

God my sleep schedule has taken a beating during this lockdown.
dang :( take care of yourself, man

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Right, so I have to ask. I've used uplay to a very, very limited extent : basically it fires up every time I launch TD1. I am not aware of the issues it has and all I can say is that it's a piece of software that has to run for my game to work. It's a launcher, and it more or less does what it should.

What are the problems with it? That it's required at all, which I can certainly get behind given that it provides no added value to the games running through it?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Like: why in the hell there's no running/dash for the character I selected, Axel?
You make me remember my current pet peeve, playable characters that move noticeably slower than their enemies. I hate that shit.

An improvement, but frequently the character fails to pick up items (like, a lot; I'm standing on top of the item, hit X, and nothing happens), and
Oh yeah, and you have to drop the thing you are carrying in order to take some fucking money sacks for example. Remembering that you have to drop it without a direction on the dpad or hilarity ensues. Clunky.

there's a special that has to be triggered with X + Y in the legacy mode, when they could have easily allow users to use, say, the RB button (like in the "new" controls).
Personally I keep wanting to use X+B for the special, don't know why.

Oh, and special mention to Gamepass, DS4Windows or me being dumb, but the game doesn't play nice with diagonals on the dpad.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I have Farcry 5 bought through Steam and it boots up Uplay on launch but i dont have to do anything, the game just starts. I have Anno1800 bought on Uplay and i fired it up the other day, launching it through Steam as a non-steam game and i have to go through a Uplay log in screen as its been ages since i logged into Uplay directly and i cant remember my password and for some reason it hasnt auto saved it so i had to go through the whole reset password stuff again. I didnt have to do this for Farcry for some reason so for me id much prefer buying it on Steam as it seems to just work better.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That it's required at all, which I can certainly get behind given that it provides no added value to the games running through it?
that's pretty much it, yeah

also my will to have all my games in one place is stronger than my will to play new games by publishers who decide to not let me do that ... there's no game that could possibly strong-arm me into using a different platform (and for the record - i do have a few games on origin, and like 300 on gog ... but i pretty much never use those ... i usually just forget about them ... i don't really have the time to keep up with 500 different launchers)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Having just finished The Shadow over Innsmouth, I must admit that I'm eyeing Cyanide Call of Cthulhu. I'm unfortunately sure it will be super conventional and too short, but it's cheap these days.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Weird question: are there any games -- small or large in scope -- in the immersive sim subgenre that were made in Japan?
I feel like Japan has some of these games, just not in first person because they generally don’t like it so much.

I really dislike the name immersive sim because it doesn’t describe the sub genre at all. Immersive sim should be reserved for a flight simulator in VR or something like H3VR. They’re at least not sims even if they can be immersive.

so what defines that genre? First person with inventory and stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.