Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This should be a given for a new game launch, but somehow it's such a rarity. It's either crashes, server being overwhelmed, co-op not working, constant disconnects, barebone content, or the combination of all that. Genshin Impact has none of that, it just works.
The technical level isn't that surprising IMHO, I think at least a few other gacha games also do decently well in that regard.

What makes Genshin Impact very surprising to me, at least so far, is how much the gameplay doesn't suck -- or semi-forcibly push you to spend money.

I'm still ready and waiting for that to happen though. (Which is why I'd genuinely enjoy the game even more if it was P2P; then I wouldn't be waiting for the gacha shoe to drop)

Reactions: QFNS and texhnolyze

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm still ready and waiting for that to happen though. (Which is why I'd genuinely enjoy the game even more if it was P2P; then I wouldn't be waiting for the gacha shoe to drop)
AAA has proven time and time again even P2P isn't free from gacha curse.

Reactions: Tomasety

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Four close beta tests probably helps a lot. Heck during the third close beta, the PS4 version ran worse than the mobile version.

But it's not without any controversy though, "genshin impact" and "spyware" became trending on Japanese Twitter.
Yeah, it was because the anti cheat doesn't automatically stop when you quit the game. But it was fixed within a day.

The technical level isn't that surprising IMHO, I think at least a few other gacha games also do decently well in that regard.

What makes Genshin Impact very surprising to me, at least so far, is how much the gameplay doesn't suck -- or semi-forcibly push you to spend money.

Yeah, gacha games in general are so well equipped to face a big launch.

I just reached AR20 earlier today. The game does have some requirements for the next story quest. So if you don't spend the most of your day like exploring and completing dailies, bosses, and dungeons, you'll most likely to face an AR-gating every now and then.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
A little sad to see them go for the jump scare throat again, but there look to be a lot of atmospheric moments too.
In my veins.

• Love
Reactions: lashman

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
During the Survey, Steam asked if I use the USB extension for the dongle of the Steam Controller.
Unusual, II wonder if they are collecting this kind of data for the patented revision that we've seen

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Can you delete a thread you created ? (in case a better one is made)

• Eyes

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I'm kinda tempted to get squadrons because I want to play something similar to Ace Combat, that would also be my first Star Wars thing ever, thought it would end up being Fallen Order...

Reactions: NarohDethan

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Hello time traveller, can I get some anime from the distant future
Sorry stranger, I only deal with imperial relics.

This plays in many ways like Tie-Fighter from 1994. It is revamped, there is a better sense of speed, Tie-Fighters have a repair feature, but I assume it's a balance thing. But it triggers even old muscle memory like quick changing energy to subsystems.
It was clearly designed with the old games in mind.

:love:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

prepare to :poop: your 👖
huh, honestly there was nothing scary about this, maybe Im just immune to Amnesia by now. Mustve played the original more than 10 times. Once completely without using any lights ;) At one point I made it a sport trying to get the grunts to fall to their death in the areas where thats possible :p
But yeah, regardless looking forward to it. I didnt find Soma scary either, so... you know. Frictional games arent about getting scared for me.

A little sad to see them go for the jump scare throat again, but there look to be a lot of atmospheric moments too.
In my veins.
I didnt see a jump scare, what did you mean?

• Disapproval
Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
You can directly access the page by typing the URL in your browser. Or look for the game on SteamCardExchange.net.

If you have a browser add-on, the link to SCE is visible on the store page:

Once you are there, you can click on this button:

Thanks a bunch! That simplifies things a lot. Wish it was as straightforward as opening the points shop in Steam though. It's odd that you can't get there in a few clicks from within the client or on the store page (without a plugin).

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

prepare to :poop: your 👖
ive got my pants and a washing detergent pod ready to go.
LETS DO THIS!

And now that it's October I can start planning out where the little ive been able to save for a new pc starts going - the 8th and ..28th(?) will go a long way to determining how much my cpu and gpu cost :face-screaming-in-fear:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I didnt see a jump scare, what did you mean?
It was a manner of speaking, sorry. I meant that the whole monster hide and seek craze being over, and the dev being one of the big names in the genre, I hoped for something more atmospheric than a monster chase in the very first seconds of the trailer.
And the door being stuck sent me flashback of their stupid dlc sequence when if you don’t open the door quick enough, you have to restart.

Reactions: Pommes and LEANIJA

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It was a manner of speaking, sorry. I meant that the whole monster hide and seek craze being over, and the dev being one of the big names in the genre, I hoped for something more atmospheric than a monster chase in the very first seconds of the trailer.
And the door being stuck sent me flashback of their stupid dlc sequence when if you don’t open the door quick enough, you have to restart.
oh, right, absolutely agree! I think these hide and seek moments, and the chase sequences do not add to the genre at all. These things are more like chore to me than terrifying. I think RE7 brought a breath of fresh air by letting you defend yourself again (after that was out of fashion)... and they balanced it really well. I mean, it still wasnt scary to me, but whatever :p

Soma had too much hiding from monsters as well, and I think the "no attack mode" or whatever it was called really helped the game. The monsters are there, but not the focus. Plus you know when they catch you, you just respawn anyway. There is no terror except replaying a bit. And making the player replay too much would just be dickish...like in the Justine DLC, yeah. I remember when A Machine for Pigs was announced, there were some whispers they would handle death with more consequence or something, but it was just the same system (and oh god was that game awful... just a sad little walking simulator).

Reactions: sk2k and Li Kao

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The same can be said of any genre until one game makes a big splash. Think of what turn based strategy/tactics was like on PC before XCOM reignitied it? Now every entry in the genre is an XCOM-like/lite
Kind of, but in the case of space sims the thing that hurts is that many publishers held it as common wisdom that nobody wanted to play them.

Enter Crowdfunding, and a murder of crows.

Reactions: ISee

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Kind of, but in the case of space sims the thing that hurts is that many publishers held it as common wisdom that nobody wanted to play them.

Enter Crowdfunding, and a murder of crows.
That holds true for basically all PC-centric genres not named RTS :D
Though from what I've seen space sims/flight sims didn't have the best quality track record with crowdfunding. Elite Dangerous and one day maybe Star Citizen, but I can't even think of any others off hand that did big crowdfunding numbers AND have been good quality

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That holds true for basically all PC-centric genres not named RTS :D
Though from what I've seen space sims/flight sims didn't have the best quality track record with crowdfunding. Elite Dangerous and one day maybe Star Citizen, but I can't even think of any others off hand that did big crowdfunding numbers AND have been good quality
Well, to be fair, they are some of the hardest games to make because no engine is tailored to them and they require massive changes to accomodate their needs. But yeah, I can't quite think of one that came out, dual universe maybe?

Still, the genre is revived to a large extent, so my bitterness is only slightly in jest.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Well, to be fair, they are some of the hardest games to make because no engine is tailored to them and they require massive changes to accomodate their needs. But yeah, I can't quite think of one that came out, dual universe maybe?

Still, the genre is revived to a large extent, so my bitterness is only slightly in jest.
It's all good 🍻. If this brings back the heyday and we get games like the old Jane's series again, I don't care how many EA or Star Wars titles are required do it, so long as it does

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It's all good 🍻. If this brings back the heyday and we get games like the old Jane's series again, I don't care how many EA or Star Wars titles are required do it, so long as it does
Jane's F-15 was my first foray into flight sims. I miss those not-quite-arcade, definitively sim-lite games!

Reactions: gabbo

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I have this image of a game in my head. Third-person, semi-auto rifle that looks similar to Commando from Black Ops and reloading progress is shown with a circle around crosshair. At this point I'm not even sure if it exists since I went through all my games on all launchers and couldn't find anything that'd fit. I feel like you were fighting zombies or something in it, but I'm not sure of that one. If anyone has an idea of what the game could be, then do tell. Otherwise, I'll probably won't get any sleep tonight. I have that nasty problem of not being able to let things like that go unresolved, so I'll be thinking about it all the time.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
The PC version of "Halo 4" Beta public testing is expected to begin later this month.
According to Microsoft 343 Studio News: 343 Studio revealed in the community update post of the PC "Halo: Master Chief Collection" because "Halo 3: Hell Paratrooper" has now been launched on the PC platform, so "Halo 4" PC development is already on the way, and it is expected that the beta public test of the PC version of "Halo 4" will begin later this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.