Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Not really. Extremely. Not sure.

Firstly because this is the type of gen defining moment that I would prefer to play with high settings, and for the moment I think I could just hope for a very good 1080p.
Secondly because I really liked playing Witcher 3 late with all the DLC installed.
Same. I will get it in a few years. That reminds me, I have to finish Witcher 3 and the DLC!

You didn't click the video :[

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Same. I will get it in a few years. That reminds me, I have to finish Witcher 3 and the DLC!

You didn't click the video :[
I clicked but without sound it was not really effective.
I will replay it with sound :cat-heart-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I honestly don't understand those of you who take EGS exclusivity personal (except in cases where the devs clearly went "hahaha fuck you, peasants!" like the Ooblets folks). Devs didn't care about you before and don't care about you now, just as you mostly don't care about them but only care about their creation. “I'll buy this game in 50 years” will only result in you depriving yourself of something you'll most likely enjoy, since the devs will take their money anyway from Epic, so they won't really be affected financially by your choice.
Who said it was personal? And thank you for caring so much about our depriving ourselves of those unique, unforgivable, citizen kane-y games, but at the same time, a few of us believe in doing the right thing. Those devs are eliciting to eschew the openness of the PC to take deals furthering the practice of exclusivity on PC, we are exerting our free will to never do business with them in response.

Plenty more fish in the sea, and as the last year has proved, these deals arguably come at a greater cost in PR and lost sales than they were worth. Devs were very much affected by many player's choice not to play their game, and not to buy it on Steam later, by the general rejection of the EGS and the tainting of their image following their anti-consumer choice.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Refresh my memory, Spacebase Startopia is EGS exclusive ?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have to analyze the discount policy of CDPR before deciding whether I buy on day one (and play on Geforce Now).

I need to check what they did with The Witcher 3.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Who said it was personal? And thank you for caring so much about our depriving ourselves of those unique, unforgivable, citizen kane-y games, but at the same time, a few of us believe in doing the right thing. Those devs are eliciting to eschew the openness of the PC to take deals furthering the practice of exclusivity on PC, we are exerting our free will to never do business with them in response.

Plenty more fish in the sea, and as the last year has proved, these deals arguably come at a greater cost in PR and lost sales than they were worth. Devs were very much affected by many player's choice not to play their game, and not to buy it on Steam later, by the general rejection of the EGS and the tainting of their image following their anti-consumer choice.
Just expressing my point of view, not attacking you or anyone so chill. What you define as "the right thing" as some mystical objective truth I believe is aiming at the wrong targets. You're trying to hurt the same people who are put in the position of accepting those deals even knowing that'll lead to terrible PR by an industry in which the small ones, no matter how successful, are always at risk. Many devs said that, despite the bad PR, they would take the deal again anytime because that kind of financial stability is too good to pass on for an indie studio. Is it a good thing? Nope. Should I point my finger at the small guy or at the trillion dollar company trying to push that business model? I know my answer to that. You're free to keep doing your "the right thing", I'll keep doing mine.

The "lost sales" argument is based on what? Good games sold very well on Steam, bad games sold poorly. You have no way of knowing if things would have been any different if they launched on Steam first.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Just expressing my point of view, not attacking you or anyone so chill. What you define as "the right thing" as some mystical objective truth I believe is aiming at the wrong targets. You're trying to hurt the same people who are put in the position of accepting those deals even knowing that'll lead to terrible PR by an industry in which the small ones, no matter how successful, are always at risk. Many devs said that, despite the bad PR, they would take the deal again anytime because that kind of financial stability is too good to pass on for an indie studio. Is it a good thing? Nope. Should I point my finger at the small guy or at the trillion dollar company trying to push that business model? I know my answer to that. You're free to keep doing your "the right thing", I'll keep doing mine.

The "lost sales" argument is based on what? Good games sold very well on Steam, bad games sold poorly. You have no way of knowing if things would have been any different if they launched on Steam first.
I am chill. You keep saying that it's personal to us, and all these things but we're good. I just took offense at your deciding for us that we were missing out on stuff. On to your points :

The right thing is not a mystical thing, you have no basis for declaring it so. There's very little in the way of cyberpunk, shades of grey uncertainty to these deals and situations. Money goes in, exclusivity goes out, openness suffers, balkanization risked. Those people being hurt by those boycotts only have themselves to blame. More often than not, they were actually indie darlings who were only in that position because of either kickstarter, Early Access or general consumer goodwill. Throwing them under the bus wasn't really a sound strategic move, one could say.

I also never told you what to do. I'm afraid that you are the one who came in and questioned our choices, telling us we were only hurting ourselves and trying to paint a very different description of reality regarding the effectiveness of such tactics.

Lost sales is actually very easy to prove. I think Hades for example sold more in a very short time period on Steam than for the entire length of its exclusivity period on the EGS. It follows that given time's inability to rewind, those sales are lost. There's also a point to be made for the fact that people won't ever buy that game because of that deal, and that their EGS launch marketing campaign could have earned them a way larger sales number should they have opted not to go for those deals.

Deleted member 113

What you define as "the right thing" as some mystical objective truth I believe is aiming at the wrong targets. You're trying to hurt the same people who are put in the position of accepting those deals even knowing that'll lead to terrible PR by an industry in which the small ones, no matter how successful, are always at risk. Many devs said that, despite the bad PR, they would take the deal again anytime because that kind of financial stability is too good to pass on for an indie studio.
I know it's not my talk, but I since I keep reading this argument defending these deals, and implying gamers have to somehow still feel sorry for the poor companies doing these deals, and we should all understand and still be willing to support these companies, I have to say the video games industry really seems to operate in a different reality, one where most companies frequently feel they don't need customers, or that no matter what they do, people will keep buying their products.

It's sadly funny. In my line of work, even if I do things flawlessly there are clients that will trade my services because someone does it 5€ cheaper. I have to have some payment tolerance in terms of dates, or I'll lose customers. I have to accommodate them, or I'll be replaced.
Video games companies are the opposite: they try to dictate how, where and when people should be entitled to buy their products. And I'm supposed to still feel some sympathy for them, no matter what they pull. When, they provide a non-essential product/service that can be easily replaced by another.

If I go up to my clients, and antagonize them in my interactions, I'll get the boot.
Video games companies frequently actively antagonize and ridicule potential customers in their PR channels, and all's fine.

I really don't get it.
Video games companies are still companies. Things are though for them? Things are thought for everyone, even the people paying for their products.

So yeah, I have no doubt these deals are good in the short term.
But, like any business decision, there are consequences, good and bad. They get an influx of cash, but in the process they willingly risking burning a few bridges. It's their choice.

Will it pay off? Most companies from other sectors wouldn't take a deal that would potentially hurt their customer base, because they think about the long term.
That's probably why I work for a company that's in business for around 40 years, and I look at video games companies, and how many are around for as long? Yeah, most of them crash and burn quickly, because they are ran by programmers who spend their time on social media, and don't know jack shit about running a company.

So, please don't tell me they should get to have both: the cash, and the customer support.
They are no different than everyone else.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Are you guys and girls excited for Cyberpunk?

CD Projekt Red is working hard with their shitty, bigoted PR to destroy every ounce of hype I had for this game.
I don't even believe it's the actual devs that actively push the garbage messaging, it's just their weirdly consistent choice to engage with the worst elements among "gamers" for their PR machine. As with a lot of dumb choices in gaming, I assume it's (mostly) a middle management thing, and the actual creatives don't get a say.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
For any fans of Tropico:
Is 6 worth it fi I already own 3, 4 and 5?

I'd read it was more of the same, so I don't feel like redeeming it from humble for one thing. While a fancier looking Tropico is interesting, I'd only get it if it introduced some more worthwhile gameplay mechanics thant its predecessors.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Gonner 2 is also on Game Pass if you want to take that route. You have to search for it in the Windows Store right now since the Game Pass app hasn't updated.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at some strategy games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

Craftlands Workshoppe

Workshop management game in a quirky fantasy land. Create and expand your store while (maybe) saving the world!

Does your job description include anything about depressed demigods and skeletons with short memories? Ours neither. But things work differently when you accept a job offer on an island in the clouds. Shoppe Keep and Shoppe Keep 2 Lead Developer Arvydas Žemaitis invites you to sacrifice even more of your social life in his most otherworldly adventure yet. Join the 350,000 players already sold on the series’ sideways look at business sims.

A hastily scribbled note on Allcraft’s door means you’re now the proud owner of a dilapidated workshoppe. You know you’re going to have to up your alchemy, cookery and blacksmith skills to get the sad old place back on its feet. But why does that creepy old guy seem so keen for you to make a success of it?
  • Unlock the tools of your trade, find the resources you need and follow recipes and blueprints to produce potent potions, gleaming weapons and delicious food.
  • Use your crafting skills to contribute to larger orders in asynchronous multiplayer gameplay – and reap the rewards!
  • Improve your skills with cauldron, furnace and anvil to uncover the curious secrets of the weird-and-wonderful island cluster you now call home.

Kingdom Rush Vengeance

A sequel to one of the best tower defence games. The first one was pretty great and so is this one!

Face empires of mighty enemies. Clash against supreme bosses, unlocking and switching to new towers. Train legendary heroes and get all the achievements using your strategy in this amazing TD game.

Kingdom Rush Vengeance will give you hours and hours of gameplay in the best tower defense game available!

The Heroic Legend of Eagarlnia

A grand strategy game in a fantasy land. With a nice strategy part for combat too!

An original design of a fantasy world, this single-player grand strategy game takes place on the imaginary continent of Eagarlnia where humans, elves, orcs, dwarves and the undead each share a corner of this land. As Eagarlnia takes up the Northern Hemisphere, the land is split into East and West by the "Mountain of Gods", our story unfolds in the East where each ruler battle for power in the "Land of Praise"...

Gameplay Features
  • A mix of Japanese-style character sketches combined with pixel-style battle graphics
  • Battle mechanics that'll leave you the satisfaction of growth and conquer
  • Be among 223 heroes and experience their various personalities, powers, and destined missions
  • Train 55 different types of soldiers for your military
  • Flexible and strategic military operatives
  • Grow and manage your land with high level of freedom

Mainframe Defenders

Create a robot squad to fight on turn based strategy, with tons of variation and sinergies.

MAINFRAME DEFENDERS - tactical retrofuturistic strategy game.
A computer virus has infiltrated the "Stargazer" research complex. Most of the robotic units are controlled by the virus. Lead a squad of 4 prototypes on a mission to defend complex mainframe. You'll have to repel assaults, destroy unit fabricators, download valuable data, clear infected nodes, and do more on your way to the deepest parts of the complex. Work with item limitations and drawbacks to build powerful combinations. Destroy your enemies with diverse tactics: overheat them, melt with corrosion, absorb damage, and return fire. But don't rely on a single strategy too much - enemies might have a way to counter it. But above everything else: defend the Mainframe!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm actually getting a weird feeling about Cyberpunk. I wonder for instance what the prototype of hacking looks like now, whether it's been cut or not. There's a ton of unknown regarding that game's depth and complexity beside the DAO-like origin stories - which are awesome.

It's the one game I'll be really wary of pre-ordering, and probably will end up playing a couple months after release, just for the bugs to be ironed out. It seems to be coming in way too hot out of the oven.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm actually getting a weird feeling about Cyberpunk. I wonder for instance what the prototype of hacking looks like now, whether it's been cut or not. There's a ton of unknown regarding that game's depth and complexity beside the DAO-like origin stories - which are awesome.

It's the one game I'll be really wary of pre-ordering, and probably will end up playing a couple months after release, just for the bugs to be ironed out. It seems to be coming in way too hot out of the oven.
I pre-ordered but feel similarly to you regarding the actual state of the game.

Although, I'm going to play at release because I think that the game will be talked about by almost everyone at such a rate and volume that there will be no avoiding spoilers unless the Internet gets turned off.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I pre-ordered but feel similarly to you regarding the actual state of the game.

Although, I'm going to play at release because I think that the game will be talked about by almost everyone at such a rate and volume that there will be no avoiding spoilers unless the Internet gets turned off.
Haha, you're probably right. In all likelihood, my waiting period will shrink to weeks instead of months :p.

Reactions: kafiend

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I am not playing Witcher (1, not 3) until finishing all the books!
:wd_dealwithit:
I actually ended slightly disappointed by the books. Witcher 3 feels narratively a lot more consistent quality-wise than Sapkowskis writing.
I feel the best Witcher writing is actually from the short stories, those are top-notch, especially the Sword of Destiny. Books could have used some better editing.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I actually ended slightly disappointed by the books. Witcher 3 feels narratively a lot more consistent quality-wise than Sapkowskis writing.
I feel the best Witcher writing is actually from the short stories, those are top-notch, especially the Sword of Destiny. Books could have used some better editing.
Only ever read The Last Wish and I quite enjoyed it. I've heard books after the first 3 short story collections have quality dips.

Reactions: Mivey and LEANIJA

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I am going to start Sword of Destiny soon. Just got it from a local library a few days ago. The Last Wish is really good so my expectation is rather high. Good to hear that it is good!

Reactions: Mivey

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Been going through Root Letter lately and may finish it up by today if not tomorrow, all routes I mean.
I found the mystery far more intersting than its resolutions so far XP

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Been going through Root Letter lately and may finish it up by today if not tomorrow, all routes I mean.
I found the mystery far more intersting than its resolutions so far XP
Borges

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Honestly? I think a Pixel 4a might be more than enough. I need a device for messages, calls, photos, streaming music via Bluetooth in my car and Google maps navigation.

Any experiences with pixel devices? How annoying are they in terms of google shenanigans?
I have one of these -- not sure what you mean by google shenanigans, but it runs stock android, so there's little bullshit with stupid tacked on apps and so on. I also use a Samsung tablet, and its UI is a slow, ugly nightmare IMO. Stock android forever.
Same here. I plan to wait for reviews and then some extra time for opinions to change. Like Outer Worlds -- that got so much acclaim, but it turned out over time that it actually was mediocre. The only thing about Cyberpunk is how much it's been discounted, both officially and on keyshops before it's even been released. If I can get it pretty discounted, I may not wait that long if initial reviews are good.

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have been playing Fallout 76 since yesterday. Heard all the shitty things at launch and also how did Bethesda somehow "fix" the game... Well well, it is not bad at all! One of my favorite things about Fallout is simply wandering all the different locations and discovering what exactly happened, and this game is basically about wandering. I will probably buy it. Let's see if my experience will change in the following next few days.

Deleted member 113

Any suggestions on how to quickly, and safely, list steam cards (but only cards) on the community marketplace, for the currently lowest selling price - 0,01€ (like the quick sell option on Augmented Steam does)?

I have around... 1000 cards to list, and it's a painfully slow process, even with Augmented Steam). :(

Reactions: QFNS and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Any suggestions on how to quickly, and safely, list steam cards (but only cards) on the community marketplace, for the currently lowest selling price - 0,01€ (like the quick sell option on Augmented Steam does)?

I have around... 1000 cards to list, and it's a painfully slow process, even with Augmented Steam). :(

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018

I find Steam Inventory Helper to be kinda buggy and use Steam Economy Enhancer instead.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

3rd box down, add a -0.01, though I would encourage you not to increase the race to the bottom and just list at the base price. I list foils by hand 0.01c under or auto accept a good offer, most foils will never sell for the crazy prices people ask.

Also 2nd'ed on Economy Enhancer rather than inverntory helper. The later was taken over by a skin betting group and is dodgy af.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Bought it the moment it was available.

Edit: Seems like a big update released with the Steam version. New menu and level editor according to the stream on the Steam page. Great stuff.

Also:

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.