Community MetaSteam | October 2020 - Out of Stock & Out of Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I tried the Immortal Fenyx Rising demo on Stadia... a true Zelda experience alright. Blurry as hell, I think it was running at 720p or around that and awful input lag. The game itself doesn't look bad though, nothing particularly original or groundbreaking but it might be a nice comfy game to play during the holidays or summer.

Reactions: texhnolyze

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So google just told me CrossfireX is still not out. Not that I care that much but I’ve recently seen several generic shooters that made me remember this was a thing (the multiplayer shooter with a solo by Remedy).
Ok :shrugblob:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Didn't know that there is a Yu-Gi-Oh! game on steam. There is also another Yu-Gi-Oh game too which is also on sale
That's because you never view my highlight threads :V

EDIT:
Make sure to get Link Evolution, as it is the one that has all content from the first game along with some extras.

EDIT2:
Link Evolution released this year, so it being 50% off now is normal, might go cheaper over next months too.

Deleted member 113

About The outer worlds: on cdkeys there's the Steam version for 22€ but not available atm The Outer Worlds PC (Steam)
Has there been any word about the DLC being available as well?

Strangely, I keep seeing "hints" from stores about adding the Steam version of the game (like the one you posted from CDKeys), but I'm yet to see any about the DLC or Season Pass.

Don't tell me they will be stupid enough to make the DLC exclusive for 12 months... :unsure:

EDIT: GMG has added a listing for the Steam version of the DLC, with a release date of today, so I guess it will launch with the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm a little shocked that the demand for strategy game is so high, yet unfulfilled. At the same time, "strategy" means a lot. To some it'll be Sacrifice, to others Homeworld, Starcraft or even Banished.

Definitely. TotalBiscuit was a very big loss, I really miss him. In terms of technical analysis of PC games from the YouTubers I know, I think that Alex Battaglia of Digital Foundry (our very own Dictator ) is truly excellent and channels like Hardware Unboxed often do PC game analyses with recommended settings for big games. TB was unique in that he did gameplay reviews but as a PC gamer himself he also knew what options good PC versions should include. I don't know of anyone who does that quite that kind of presentation.
All of this and more. One of the things that really struck me about him was his obsession with integrity. He kept his distances to a healthy professional level with everyone he had the job of assessing the work of. He attempted to see other perspectives, and most of all, tried to be intellectually honest. All of this, while still being able to squee like a little girl at how good a bolter felt.

That doesn't mean he was perfect, his take on paid mods was a bit lackluster to me, and he really had huge mental health issues. I just really wish he'd have lived to mend and heal them. As it is, he's already raised the bar apparently too high.

I also have to second the praise of Dictator here. He knows his graphics like few others do, and I struggle to think of anyone who isn't already a graphics programmer or a niche tech writer that can provide the depth and rigors of analysis that he does, while also being able to provide an opinion and passing judgment for the consumer. He's a blessing in a journalistic field that is rather unfortunately largely ignorant of the technical sides of games and rendering.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Has there been any word about the DLC being available as well?

Strangely, I keep seeing "hints" from stores about adding the Steam version of the game (like the one you posted from CDKeys), but I'm yet to see any about the DLC or Season Pass.

Don't tell me they will be stupid enough to make the DLC exclusive for 12 months... :unsure:

EDIT: GMG has added a listing for the Steam version of the DLC, with a release date of today, so I guess it will launch with the game.

DLC will be out at the very same time, DLC listings are already in the database :blobhug:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I'm a little shocked that the demand for strategy game is so high, yet unfulfilled. At the same time, "strategy" means a lot.
Is it the conclusion though? I skimmed through the tweets earlier today, and it is mostly a matter of supply/demand curve, no?
Revenue is concentrated on fewer games for strategy/4X than for indie platformers, because there is less competition.

Reactions: Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Is it the conclusion though? I skimmed through the tweets earlier today, and it is mostly a matter of supply/demand curve, no?
Revenue is concentrated on fewer games for strategy/4X than for indie platformers, because there is less competition.
Haha, I have to admit I skimmed through the blog post myself, so apologies if I missed a thing. I still was under the impression that strategy was largely said to be a dying genre, just like cRPGs, but hadn't quite come back from the brink.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Hutchinson was on GB couch last E3, I guess he won't be invited back. :valle:
And considering Navarro usually does the guest invitations and he was the one who made that "speaking of things people don't want to pay for, how's Stadia going " comment to which that one tweet was a reply to, maybe there was something there already. :thinking-blob:

Also while we are at it, here's some Hutchinson shit from the past.

As an icing on the cake, his previous games is EGSclusive.:blobmorning2:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Pubs need streamers. I don't even know how they would market games nowadays without Youtube and Twitch. That is where all the kids and young adults are.

You'd have to rely on boomers who watch cable television to see your crappy 20 second game ad. Basically the way the industry was back in 2005 but it was only worth like 10 billion back then compared to 150 billion now. So yea good luck to pubs who try to fuck with the biggest marketing tool today. AAA gaming would be in trouble if they tried the DMCA bs too. Indie gaming would become huge tho because all the streamers will jump on indies, f2p and self published games. Its really a lose lose for big pubs if they go down that path.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Pubs need streamers. I don't even know how they would market games nowadays without Youtube and Twitch. That is where all the kids and young adults are.

You'd have to rely on boomers who watch cable television to see your crappy 20 second game ad. Basically the way the industry was back in 2005 but it was only worth like 10 billion back then compared to 150 billion now. So yea good luck to pubs who try to fuck with the biggest marketing tool today. AAA gaming would be in trouble if they tried the DMCA bs too. Indie gaming would become huge tho because all the streamers will jump on indies, f2p and self published games. Its really a lose lose for big pubs if they go down that path.
Streaming and its route to increased sales for ANY game making company exists and is slightly neutral in that streamers mostly stream what they want. Make something good or stream friendly and let it loose on the world.
If a company tried to fuck with that because of corporate greed by charging streamers in a some way then surely all the other companies would do the opposite and not charge so that streamers would only stream their companies games. Streamer accounts would be the next logical step. Then game streams using the company account could have ads in them that are not in the original game. Cluster-fuck time.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I believe I read somewhere on twitter another "brilliant idea" like Hutchinson's which was QA testers should pay to test content instead of getting paid.
I'm not surprised after Hutchinson's words because I had read about the QA paid testing before, still I felt pity for him. He looked like he had a lot of resentment inside him.

I don't know what will be the next logical thought after both opinions but nothing good can come from all this nonsense.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lets take a look at some story rich games this time in "Discoveries in Discovery Queue"!

The Imagined Leviathan

Free short story game about a post apocalyptic Britain with a poetic feeling

A poetic survival horror set in a future where climate change has rendered Britain an arctic wasteland.
  • On your pilgrimage to Steel Henge you can only take what you can carry, so choose carefully what you leave behind.
  • Immerse yourself in this starkly monochromatic world as you scavenge for fuel, take shelter in the shadows, and burn stories to stay warm.
  • A malevolent presence lurks between the words, just out of reach.
  • Alone, you must sacrifice everything you knew to deliver the bitter truth of this world to future generations.
  • A brief but intense 20 minutes.
“Once a year at steelhenge, on the summer solstice, we bring messages from our travels.
Tales of life before the last winter, tales we choose to preserve.
We mark our messages in the metal, so our descendants will remember the mistake we made:
we did not confront our imaginary Leviathans.”

Robotics; Notes Elite

A VN regarding robotics in high school with some detective cases!

Thanks to the rising popularity of the PhoneDroid—a device which features augmented reality (A.R.)—the age of advanced technology has finally reached Tanegashima. On that island, Central Tanegashima High's Robot Research Club is about to have their club disbanded. Despite their predicament, Kaito Yashio, one of only two members in the Robot Club, couldn't care less and would rather play a robot fighting game all day. His counterpart, the reckless club leader Akiho Senomiya, ignores Kaito’s apathy as she strives to keep the club from being disbanded by completing their giant robot.

One day, Kaito discovers a mysterious A.R. annotation titled "Kimijima Report." It contains instructions involving locations all across the island—and warns of a conspiracy involving the entire world.

Re:Turn - One Way Trip

Side-scrolling puzzle horror game. Tons of nice atmosphere, music and story.

Re:Turn – One Way Trip tells the terrifying story of five college friends on a post-graduation vacation. This might be their last trip together before the adulthood swallows them whole. Unfortunately for them, a far more sinister force has found them and hungers for their souls.
When Saki awakens in the middle of the night to find that her friends have disappeared from their campsite, she is soon lured to an abandoned train. It stands silent, as if has been waiting for its final passenger to board. Waiting for her.
As Saki searches the train for her friends, the barrier between the past and the present starts to dissolve. Otherworldly horrors confront Saki as she begins to learn the train’s deadly secrets.

Scarlet Hollow

Hand-drawn horror adventure game, with many different branches. The first chapter (which is the current one) is free. The kickstarter is still ongoing for the rest (and has been fully backed).

You jolt awake as the bus hits a particularly nasty bump. You feel like you’d only just managed to start drifting off, and now here you are, awake again and still exhausted.
For a moment, you’re hazy on the details of where exactly 'here' is, confusing this bus with the many others that came before it. But as your mind continues to reassert its existence in the waking world, the past few days come back into focus. The long-lost cousin, the bad news, the twenty-six hours of bus rides with countless late-night stops in seedy depots that felt unsafe even in the middle of the day. You wouldn’t normally find yourself traveling like this, but your cousin bought the tickets. The funeral of her mother, your aunt, seemed like something you shouldn't ignore, even considering your own late mother’s rocky relationship with this side of the family.
Fortunately, the end of your long journey is in sight. You're almost in Scarlet Hollow.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
You don't need to go very far to see publishers hunting down streamers.

Sega did this years ago, before making a u-turn and supporting their fans (including recruiting a bunch of them to make games), and despite not being a major actor anymore, nor Sonic more than a footnote in videogames at this point, they have a gigantic fanbase making free publicity and tons and tons of fan games like the Sonic Amateur Games Expo which is not only important; but also a significant pool of talent to draw from (with many having already made commercial games).

Nintendo obliterates anyone daring to play their games, at best they snatch all the profits (remember their initiative to fuck you over but with the right to maybe get some scraps after months of stealing your work?), more likely they'll scrub the entire internet from fangames (because they have their shit competition to sell like Mario Maker which does not hold a candle to what was possible before - but this time it's official, oh and pay up every month to share your levels after your $60 purchase on Switch).

They are a giant publisher, with less fan clout than mobile apps and free browser games, Roblox makes more views than the entirety of the Nintendo catalog. Wouldn't even be surprised to see Genshin Impact dwarfing the whole of Nintendo on sharing platforms very soon, but at least they won't have the bad streamers make fun of their 30 years old roms not sold anywhere.

• This!
Reactions: Rogue Agent

Deleted member 113

The countdown is over, and you can finally buy The Outer Worlds... soundtrack on Steam. :whistle:
Yeah, no actual game to be found.

I was curious to check what launch discount (if any) they would have, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit more.

EDIT: The game is 25,50€ on GMG.

Reactions: dummmyy

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Not even mods can save that game.
It's not a terrible game, it just lacks content and time to breathe. So actually, a few large expansion packs might help a lot with that.
I don't really see what modding can do there, honestly. I guess you could have more custom planets and stuff, and additional quests but that seems a bit on the high end for what you might expect from user generated content.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Streaming and its route to increased sales for ANY game making company exists and is slightly neutral in that streamers mostly stream what they want. Make something good or stream friendly and let it loose on the world.
If a company tried to fuck with that because of corporate greed by charging streamers in a some way then surely all the other companies would do the opposite and not charge so that streamers would only stream their companies games. Streamer accounts would be the next logical step. Then game streams using the company account could have ads in them that are not in the original game. Cluster-fuck time.
If a company learned or thought it could begin taking a cut from streamers as a royalty payment, what about the gaming industry in 2020 makes you think others wouldn't follow suit? Companies will try whatever means to make more money, and charging streamers is literally no work on their part, it's a no brainer.

Not every streamer would revolt against it, and I highly doubt a good chunk of the audience for streamers would care one way or another. So long as it wasn't a total collapse, the streamer-publisher model would adapt.

All that being said, the Stadia guy is clearly talking out of his ass on this

Deleted member 113

If anyone sees a good deal on The Outer Worlds, do post about it.
So far, I'm tempted to go for the Non-Mandatory Corporate-Sponsored Bundle on GMG (which is 42% off, and includes the game + season pass + soundtrack), but it's a bit more than I wanted to pay for a year old game.
Hopefully someone will have it for slightly less.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
I really liked the game.

¯\(ツ)
It's not a terrible game, it just lacks content and time to breathe. So actually, a few large expansion packs might help a lot with that.
I don't really see what modding can do there, honestly. I guess you could have more custom planets and stuff, and additional quests but that seems a bit on the high end for what you might expect from user generated content.
I might've been pleasantly surprised if it came from a no-name team with zero expectations but knowing it's Boyarsky/Cain and Obsidian I was expecting something with a lot more soul. One of the bigger disappointments in recent memory.

Reactions: Mivey

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I might've been pleasantly surprised if it came from a no-name team with zero expectations but knowing it's Boyarsky/Cain and Obsidian I was expecting something with a lot more soul. One of the bigger disappointments in recent memory.
I know some people were expecting it to be a Fallout-sized game which they were warned it was never suppose to be.

Edit:

Out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
My completionist side wouldn’t say no to playing the dlc, The Outer Worlds was the epitome of mediocre, but it was certainly tolerable.
But 12 month after release is a lot of time, I fear I would feel disconnected from the game. And as always, it’s a side content inserted before the final, not after or separate, so the disconnection will be even greater. Do I even have saves before the final ? Does MS even have kept my saves ?

And that would mean buying the dlc on GP, for a game I don’t own. That’s a lot of hoops for a middle length dlc.

Do we know if GP saves are transferable to Steam ?

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Outer Worlds only has 48 achievements when it should have 58. Did they forget to add the DLC achievements?

Nice one Take Two.

Deleted member 113

OK, regarding The Outer Worlds:

The game is 50% off on Steam (but the DLC isn't currently discounted):

WinGameStore has the game for 53% off (but no discount on the DLC):

Green Man Gaming has a flash deal on both the game, and a pack of the game + season pass + OST, that ends in 15 minutes:

The game is 57% off:

The bundle is 42% off:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Allow me to LMAO at that guy. Imagine someone who notionally works for Google saying people should pay others for using their content. LMAOOOOOOOO. Is Google going to start paying people for all those videos, text, and music that they hoover up and host on their servers? I mean its basically the same thing as streaming a game you don't own... Oh what is that? Google expects you to PAY THEM for that, so they can give your work exposure? Yeah ok, no hypocrisy here at all LMAO.

Deleted member 113

If anyone wants the whole thing (game + season pass + soundtrack), Green Man Gaming's flash deal (48,88€) that ends in 5 minutes (EDIT: or not; it now shows 72 hours left) is easily the better price at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.