Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Does this require new hardware or is it just a software feature that will work on existing WiFi chips?
It seems to require both hardware and software compatibility (game and operative system).

This for now means, Windows 11 as of now and most likely scenario Steam OS 3 version once Steam Deck launches assuming Steam Deck has a "FastConnect 6900 Wi-Fi chip " on it or anything that could serve the same purpose.

The article mentioned the technology is already on the Steamworks SDK so it's a matter of time when Valve or other developers will start using it.

Reason: Fixed a lot
Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Breakpoint is cheap on GMG too. I wonder if they patched it enough from the disaster the game seems to have been at launch. Did they really add AI teammates ? Is it a worthy or even passable successor to Wildlands ?

Edit
Two days before Switch Oled, reviews are good, temptation rising to buy it to play SMTV.
I have to be strong, contrary to Steam Deck, the Switch is ruinous on new game prices.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Been playing through the Nier Raids in FFXIV recently. Mixture of gear upgrades, Nier related Glamours and getting used to more complex mechanics.

However playing through the bosses and listening to the music for each of the boss fights especially the Kaine them to the Her Inflorescence battles (which at times can bring me to tears, love that song) has me asking Square Enix one question!

Where the fuck is my Drakenguard Collection.

And for anybody interested, the song in question:-

Spoilered for people still working their way through the game.

And as a final note, the story is really cool to the raids as well. Starts off fairly light hearted and ends up all Yoko Taro.

Edit: Added a spoiler to the collection because this will ruin some of the raid if you are going in blind. Sorry to anybody who may have caught it and didn't want to be spoiled.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a place where one can buy legit Win10 keys but not too expensive?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Breakpoint is cheap on GMG too. I wonder if they patched it enough from the disaster the game seems to have been at launch. Did they really add AI teammates ? Is it a worthy or even passable successor to Wildlands ?

Edit
Two days before Switch Oled, reviews are good, temptation rising to buy it to play SMTV.
I have to be strong, contrary to Steam Deck, the Switch is ruinous on new game prices.

Breakpoint is still always online so it is big nope for me.

Also you all had your chance to buy 300$ Corsair keyboard and sell me Far Cry 6 code for 30$, now that is gone, you can now sell it to me for 25$ XD

• Evil
Reactions: Tomasety

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
This is the point where Ubi in general and Far Cry in particular went out to die for me.

I'm one of those troglodytes who feel like FC fell off a cliff after the consummate Far Cry 2.

FC2 felt like the last Ubi game that put genuine trust in the player. A true open-world sandbox with tactical engagement scenarios that didn't lead one by the nose from one objective marker to the next.
But it has constantly respawning checkpoints and patrols, a boring, flat map with no verticality that isn't all that open (can't reach a lot of places and has a bunch of bottlenecks), utterly repetitive busywork, little to no mission-variety and an AI that was all-seeing, ruining those potentially tactical engagements. The degrading weapons was a horribly implemented system, so were your buddies and it all led to me not feeling free at all, nothing I did mattered. Checking checkboxes except the checkboxes unchecked themselves a minute later.

If we break it all down FC2 together with AC1 are the two earliest games in which you could see the direction Ubisoft would take, they have a lot of the bad stuff in it that we hate today in some form or another. Proto-Ubisoft formula games basically. So imo FC didn't take a bad turn after 2, 2 WAS the bad turn and lay the groundwork. I'll go one step further, the nonsense I was most annoyed by in 2 got scaled back in later iterations, 3 and following have way more tactical options and varied gameplay. They're of course crammed with other bullshit and I won't defend them too much but it all started with FC2 and AC1.

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

"This is a game where every single element seemed to come together perfectly, and the fact that it was created by a team of just five developers is hard to believe."
by Eric Switzer on TheGamer
I thought the game was longer, not saying 4 hours is a bad thing but I expected 10-12 in the end.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
spooktacular October horror gaming update: the early stealth sequences in Call of Cthulhu 2018 with human enemies weren't too bad, but man that first one with a monster is fucking terrible. Thank god I'm playing on PC where I can just download a trainer that makes enemies ignore me

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Twitch streamer payout from October 2019 to September 2021

[Hidden content]
How much is amazon's cut, 30% or more? Then you have local governments taking their share but at the end of the day they still take a lot of money home.

• Eyes

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
spooktacular October horror gaming update: the early stealth sequences in Call of Cthulhu 2018 with human enemies weren't too bad, but man that first one with a monster is fucking terrible. Thank god I'm playing on PC where I can just download a trainer that makes enemies ignore me
Completed that one a week ago and I assume you're talking about the section with the painting, got the correct dagger by chance after a few tries. Really the worst part of the game, there is a longer stealth level later on that I failed at a few times but you could play that one more relaxed, take your time. Good game btw. but not very creepy, it's more detective/adventure and less horror imo.

Reactions: manchego obfuscator

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Completed that one a week ago and I assume you're talking about the section with the painting, got the correct dagger by chance after a few tries. Really the worst part of the game, there is a longer stealth level later on that I failed at a few times but you could play that one more relaxed, take your time. Good game btw. but not very creepy, it's more detective/adventure and less horror imo.
yup, that's the one I was referring to. absolutely terrible design for that sequence; it seems almost impossible to pick out the correct item and avoid the monster except by sheer dumb luck, even with a walkthrough handy. eventually I just gave up and googled the trainer I mentioned, and sighed with relief when it worked

other than that, I'm mostly enjoying the game. definitely not great and it's clearly a modestly budgeted effort whose reach exceeds its grasp, but there's some charm to be found in that

plus the story has "great" moments like the one early in the game when the protagonist is investigating the dead woman's mansion and stumbles across a green glowing occult symbol painted on the floor, surrounded by eldritch-looking candles, and asks aloud, "Was this woman interested in the occult?" wow, genius IQ there, Mr. Pierce

Reactions: QFNS and derExperte

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
How much is amazon's cut, 30% or more? Then you have local governments taking their share but at the end of the day they still take a lot of money home.
A quick Google search says it's 50% for subscriptions and bits, but rates for more popular streamers can be negotiated. Twitch doesn't get anything for donations though.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I don't know the cut but I know at least one Spanish streamer who moved from Spain to Andorra just to pay much less in taxes. I think he earns about 2 million € streaming and probably like 47% of that goes to pay taxes in Spain. Andorra is 10% only.

I can't say I condone this action but it is what it is. Andorra was once considered a tax heaven place in Spain (I assume same for EU) but that changed.

---
New historical low I believe.

Remnant: From the Ashes - 70% - €11.99

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoshi

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Played a match of Battlefield 2042, it's fun but man the framerate was rough on my system. I don't know for sure but think the game maybe more CPU bound than GPU. I currently have an i5-6600k + GTX 1070 FE + 16 GB Ram.

• Eyes

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Played a match of Battlefield 2042, it's fun but man the framerate was rough on my system. I don't know for sure but think the game maybe more CPU bound than GPU. I currently have an i5-6600k + GTX 1070 FE + 16 GB Ram.
For sure the CPU, just checked and while the 6600K is listed as minimum spec for 2042 the harsh truth is that 4 cores aren't enough anymore for many modern games. Not by a long shot. And especially BF's multiplayer has so much going on that you need a beefy processor to handle it all. The also listed Ryzen 5 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, is much newer and so much better that it's weird that EA put them side by side.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Played a couple more demos. No stand outs for me.

Pawnbarian is cool; small puzzle dungeon with chess moves. It's a bit less intuitive than it sounds, and once you get several monsters on the board it loses the visual clarity from its clean design.

Robin Hood-survival game is decent. It's got what you would expect from a crafting game: resource management, hunting, combat, massive skill tree even base building and town management. Performance is a bit wobbly (pre-release), but it can look nice and it's not in a terrible place. It's a bit dry tho, especially the titular character. Not a surprise it's the big winner of the event. It ticks many of the boxes people like in these games.
I love the title screen. It's kind of amazing.

First event I played like 50 demos. I've done around 10ish for the following events. It's actually kind of too much work, lol.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I thought the game was longer, not saying 4 hours is a bad thing but I expected 10-12 in the end.
The developer addressed this before the release of the game, how their aim was a shorter experience, due to budget and their team size. It's ok to want longer games, there's plenty of other options out there. But I think it's ok for shorter experiences to coexist in the market too, and again, the developer has been very upfront about the game length too.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
For sure the CPU, just checked and while the 6600K is listed as minimum spec for 2042 the harsh truth is that 4 cores aren't enough anymore for many modern games. Not by a long shot. And especially BF's multiplayer has so much going on that you need a beefy processor to handle it all. The also listed Ryzen 5 3600 has 6 cores/12 threads, is much newer and so much better that it's weird that EA put them side by side.
I can swap my CPU as a halfway upgrade since both Intel and AMDs processors are widely avaialbe where I'm at. I'll also have to get a new mobo, cooler, ram, and maybe new power supply. I'm thinking of waiting for Intel to announce Alder Lake then I will make a decision on what to do.

Reactions: Li Kao

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
When in any period in history has it been any different?
Going to mcdonald's, not eating but throwing $$ in subscribe to our healthy food program bin would be very similar to twitch.

Also seeing so many 'Waaaaait a minute, how come I'm sponsoring the guy that makes 50 times more than me. Unsubbing nao' makes me believe twitch was built on the backs of dem fools.

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Man, i refunded Industria as i was getting really bad frame rate, sounds like a good game though. I like short games and hope that there are a few patches soon. Ill re-buy then.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
looks at leaked list searches for niche youtubers who are mostly on twitch now

Yeah, that's why they don't do (quality) Youtube content anymore.
Quill18 makes 100k, but his content quality has dropped immensely in the last 2 years apart from chat tangents, his "series" are abandoned most of the time

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Because a lot of people truly don't understand how much these people were making.

None of the leaks contains anything 3rd party as well. So the streamers with brand overlays all over the screen, doing #sponsored game segments.
Especially the "little guys".
Everyone rolls their eyes and says "duh" when this comes out because we knew they are making bank. But it is quite eye-opening how much some of the "little guys" were making. the Minecraft dude I am sometimes watching who has 100 too 200 viewers per stream makes 50k, the Battletech guy with 300 viewers makes 70k

• Eyes

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Especially the "little guys".
Everyone rolls their eyes and says "duh" when this comes out because we knew they are making bank. But it is quite eye-opening how much some of the "little guys" were making. the Minecraft dude I am sometimes watching who has 100 too 200 viewers per stream makes 50k, the Battletech guy with 300 viewers makes 70k
On the other hand while some are certainly swimming in dosh the numbers are way higher than what's left at the end of the day. Depending on the country taxes can be brutal, gotta pay for health insurance, save for retirement, big streamers usually employ people working in the background and even if not running a company does cost more than people might think. Plus those leaked numbers are for 2 years. But sure, no sponsorships.

• Toucan
  • Eyes

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Depending on the country taxes can be brutal, gotta pay for health insurance, save for retirement, big streamers usually employ people working in the background and even if not running a company does cost more than people might think.
Ditto with any other business owner. However, there is no "donate" button next to the cashier at the baker's.
If we look at people running a business centred around their persona and advertising brands to their audience, I don't see Mbappé asking for donations.

Either you are being fed by ad money and sponsors (virtual sandwich board persons), or you ask for donations from individuals, in which case you have to be transparent to them. If you have it both ways, without any transparency that is, then I would not buy any of the justifications (if I were a donator).

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
On the other hand while some are certainly swimming in dosh the numbers are way higher than what's left at the end of the day. Depending on the country taxes can be brutal, gotta pay for health insurance, save for retirement, big streamers usually employ people working in the background and even if not running a company does cost more than people might think. Plus those leaked numbers are for 2 years. But sure, no sponsorships.
You could say this about so many people in general, particularly the underlined portion

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Ditto with any other business owner. However, there is no "donate" button next to the cashier at the baker's.
If we look at people running a business centred around their persona and advertising brands to their audience, I don't see Mbappé asking for donations.

Either you are being fed by ad money and sponsors (virtual sandwich board persons), or you ask for donations from individuals, in which case you have to be transparent to them. If you have it both ways, without any transparency that is, then I would not buy any of the justifications (if I were a donator).
Hmmm, tipping is a thing. And there's transparency insofar that sponsored streams have to be marked, at least the streamers I watch usually disclose how many subs they currently have and as a regular viewer you can get a good feel for how a channel is doing anyway. A couple of them have been rather open with how much they're making so for anyone paying attention it should be obvious that someone with 10k viewers doesn't need your 5€ to survive. It's also blatantly clear that you're not donating for some higher cause, though I concede that there certainly are predatory fucks out there who prey on their younger viewership. Now personally I would never spend real money on any streamer, only ever use Twitch's one monthly Prime sub and would quickly tune out if constantly asked to sub or donations or whatever but if we ignore the big ones I think the whole system has its merits and allows smaller ones to do their thing. In the end it's all completely voluntary. Like buying Mbappé's jersey despite PSG obviously not needing the money.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.