Community MetaSteam | September 2020 - An Offer You Definitively Can't Refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I mean, consoles are better than last gen consoles but likely won't launch at 200 more than the last gen (and if they do I'll criticize that too). They wanna sell some units after all. They could in theory make a beast of a console that includes one of these gpus and sell it for $2500 but then, justified by the performance gap or not, they might as well drop out of the console race if they take that route, games will optimize for the lower end competitor rather than fully take advantage of the beast fewer people buy anyway. To me, nvidia is stretching it with these prices and they aren't justified by being x amount better than the previous range (I mean, that's obviously natural) when they will still become obsolette and outperformed by the new and improved models at the same pace as always, when games will still utilize their features and bring them to their knees over time at the same pace as well. It's all about the lack of competition, just like intel before recent ryzens, as far as I'm concerned. The 3080 is the modern 1080 equivalent all things considered but costs that much more than that did. Bad. Even without AMD competition one might as well wait a year and get a 4060 hopefully cheaper than a 3080 that still destroys consoles and lasts you the gen. Vram requirements and behavior will have been measured by then so hopefully they won't deliberately cripple the lower end models in such ways again.

Last edited:

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Those cards seem underpriced to me. They destroy both next gen consoles and AMD so why not push prices even more?
I would imagine that the impact of COVID has something to do with it, as the economic uncertainty has made it harder for people to justify spending a lot of money on an expensive video card. I doubt Nvidia wants to produce a bunch of video cards, only for nobody to buy them.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I think Linus means "He priced it a little less outrageously than the previous gens and this is closer to what normal should look like".

Those prices are still bonkers.
Door in the face.

The persuader attempts to convince the respondent to comply by making a large request that the respondent will most likely turn down, much like a metaphorical slamming of a door in the persuader's face. The respondent is then more likely to agree to a second, more reasonable request, than if that same request is made in isolation.
:thinking:

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I would imagine that the impact of COVID has something to do with it, as the economic uncertainty has made it harder for people to justify spending a lot of money on an expensive video card. I doubt Nvidia wants to produce a bunch of video cards, only for nobody to buy them.
Yes, this might the case. I don't expect they will be able to match those performance increases each following generation, so if they wanted to raise base prices this would be the time to do it. But I agree with your comment.

Reactions: Tomasety

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
The one thing that bothers me in the 3070 is 8 GB RAM. I have heavy doubts if it will be enough for future-proofing. At the same time, the bus it uses means 12 GB at most in AIB models. I'd rather have 16 tbh. I think I'll just wait out the cross-gen period with my RX 580 and then get Hopper or AMD's 2k21 offering.

Reactions: Cacher

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
The "those prices killed the second hand market" reactions are peculiar. The WHOLE gen we were told about how overpriced those first RTX cards were and now people are surprised they were overpriced for real?

• Toucan
Reactions: Tomasety and warp_

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
The "those prices killed the second hand market" reactions are peculiar. The WHOLE gen we were told about how overpriced those first RTX cards were and now people are surprised they were overpriced for real?
Yeah. I still remember all the smug apologists going "This is the price you pay for being early adopter of a technological breakthrough, you can't even imagine how amazing ray-tracing is! Don't like it, don't buy it."

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
So it looks like it's don't touch Iron Harvest unless you're super into its concept and uh... want to wait more as at the moment it's an incomplete product

From the seemingly wedged down in there negative reviews since some are now missing:
WARNING: As of the time of writing this, Iron Harvest currently has a significant amount of false advertisement on its Steam store page. To be clear:

There is no co-op campaign.
There is no controller support.
There are no Steam Achievements.
Competitive/Ranked Multiplayer is currently not in the game.
The Deluxe Edition's promised Mini-Campaign does not exist yet.
Also, not that anyone cares ( I mean I think it's funny) they indefinitely delayed the release of the EGS (Epic Game Store) version of the game.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah. I still remember all the smug apologists going "This is the price you pay for being early adopter of a technological breakthrough, you can't even imagine how amazing ray-tracing is! Don't like it, don't buy it."
raytracing is definitely a bust but i wasn't expecting anything special going in so i'm not actually disappointed. i just wanted to run ffxiv on max fps for my monitor (120) and now i can so i'm pretty pleased. i'll have an xbox for 4k hdr raytracing if that becomes a big deal so i think that's probably enough.

my only concern is vr but i had zero issue running alyx so i imagine i'll be fine for a while.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
The one thing that bothers me in the 3070 is 8 GB RAM. I have heavy doubts if it will be enough for future-proofing. At the same time, the bus it uses means 12 GB at most in AIB models. I'd rather have 16 tbh. I think I'll just wait out the cross-gen period with my RX 580 and then get Hopper or AMD's 2k21 offering.
It has also GDDR instead of GDDRX, cheaper price means cheaper RAM

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, that's pretty much exactly what it was (the price of being an early adopter of a technological breakthrough).

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I mean, that's pretty much exactly what it was (the price of being an early adopter of a technological breakthrough).
One that was de facto forced upon everyone who wanted to upgrade since the whole lineup included RTX (even 2060 which was pretty much unsuited for it performance-wise) so they could justify the giant price increases. Unless you were buying entry-level cards, you had to pay premium or buy previous gen cards which will become obsolete much faster. Not the cleanest way to do things.

Reactions: Swenhir

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's more or less the only viable way to do things though, and it pretty much has been the case in PC gaming since I started following it with the Voodoo 1. We just haven't had truly new significant HW features in our GPUs in a long time before Turing.

You can't make new HW features too optional or they'll not be adopted. And as far as entirely new HW features go RTX really didn't have the worst run in these 2 years. There were several really good games that made use of it. That's a lot more than I could say of EMBM on my Matrox G400, the third texture unit on my Radeon (just Radeon), or ATI TruForm on my Radeon 8500 :p

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
New GPUs ! Powerful as fuck ! Not cheap at all but cheaper !

And at the same time, give or take an hour, I kid you not...
I just received a letter telling me that we will have to resume paying the family debt, 300 euros a month :suicide-blob:

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
It's more or less the only viable way to do things though, and it pretty much has been the case in PC gaming since I started following it with the Voodoo 1. We just haven't had truly new significant HW features in our GPUs in a long time before Turing.

You can't make new HW features too optional or they'll not be adopted. And as far as entirely new HW features go RTX really didn't have the worst run in these 2 years. There were several really good games that made use of it. That's a lot more than I could say of EMBM on my Matrox G400, the third texture unit on my Radeon (just Radeon), or ATI TruForm on my Radeon 8500 :p
Navi didn't have ray-tracing, yet that didn't stop AMD from implementing it in next-gen consoles and RDNA 2. If anything, they could price their lineup much higher than they otherwise could, since RTX was mostly viewed as a gimmick, so you had Navi priced close to Turing counterparts despite not having ray-tracing capabilities (you know, the thing that was meant to justify the high pricing).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

T&L! It changed everything

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Prices on 2070s and 2080s in free fall on ebay and hardware swapping places. Maybe I'll hold off on that 3070 and get a 2070/2080 for like $300-400.

My Mobo doesn't even have PCI 4.0 anyhow, so not sure I could take advantage.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Also I think there is wait to this statement since most "gamers" that buy stuff are in their 30s. While the People on PC now a days tend to be younger people

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
How does the RTX/IO - PCIE 4.0 stuff work? Is it specialzied hardware you need to buy for it other than a RTX card and SSD?

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
How does the RTX/IO - PCIE 4.0 stuff work? Is it specialzied hardware you need to buy for it other than a RTX card and SSD?
So far we know that an NVME SSD is required. No saying if PCI-E 3.0 will be enough or if you need PCI-E 4.0 or if Turing will be supported.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
My Mobo doesn't even have PCI 4.0 anyhow, so not sure I could take advantage.
I doubt PCI-E 3 or 4 will make a significant difference with the 3070.

In all honesty: If you can easily enough afford the $100 extra to get a new 3070, get a new 3070 instead of a used 2080 for $100 less.
You are getting more performance, warranty, newer architecture that will probably age better, you will one day switch to a PCI gen 4,0 based system etc.
etc.

2080Tis will have a hard stand on the used market. 2070? RX 5700? They might be moved to the sub 200€ this year.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Navi didn't have ray-tracing, yet that didn't stop AMD from implementing it in next-gen consoles and RDNA 2. If anything, they could price their lineup much higher than they otherwise could, since RTX was mostly viewed as a gimmick, so you had Navi priced close to Turing counterparts despite not having ray-tracing capabilities (you know, the thing that was meant to justify the high pricing).
If NVidia didn't push for raytracing with the RTX 2k series, I really doubt AMD would have implemented it for the next gen consoles.

Anyway, before the 2k series, NVidia had the performance lead by far, they could have gone for more performance with the 2k series, but they decided to take advantage of their performance lead to push for technological leaps instead of just raw performance (not just raytracing, but also DLSS).

Even with the smaller increase in performance with the 2k series, AMD could barely compete anyway, and now NVidia with the 3k series NVidia has both the performance lead and technological lead, their gamble paid off.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So looking at my 2014 order, the 970 was about 350$, and that still was a little high for the time compared to previous mid-range cards. I don't think the price escalation is in any way justified for the 3070 :/.

I think the prices would be looking very different if AMD was actually competitive there.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Damn I'd want to bite at CK3, but I have like CK2 with all the DLCs and basically played very little, I feel like I should learn and play CK2 before, but that would be also a waste because CK3 is different from what I've heard....decisions....

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So I was playing a little unknown game called ''Dark Souls'' and almost halfway of the game it seems like my save game is corrupted and I reaaaally don't want to play all that again unless there is some ''quick'' way to get to the point I was.

• Sad
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
So uh we're still getting the 3090 Ti in 8 months time, right? Still a bit reluctant to let my 1080Tis go, they're only 3 years old. :dana_think:

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
New month. New thread. New GPUs

:coffee-blob:

Also those new GPUs sure do shit all over the 20xx series cards. Those things will forever be remembered as the beta test early adopter cards. Basically the mid gen refresh consoles cards.

Jawmuncher

Make Capcom announce something exciting
Monster Hunter World: Terrible graphics edition... for Switch.

Reactions: NarohDethan

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Prices on 2070s and 2080s in free fall on ebay and hardware swapping places. Maybe I'll hold off on that 3070 and get a 2070/2080 for like $300-400.
I won't lie, expected $20-50 to follow free fall part.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
My 1080 Ti is still going strong but 3080 is surely tempting. But considering that I have no rush to play any new AAA western games in near future I will wait till next year to think about the upgrades.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Also those new GPUs sure do shit all over the 20xx series cards. Those things will forever be remembered as the beta test early adopter cards. Basically the mid gen refresh consoles cards.
Hard disagree on this hot take.
Nvidia was pushing hard for what become the dominant new technology, and we will see ray tracing used much more commonly once new consoles are out. The very reason that the second gen RTX cards are so relatively cheap and so good in terms of performance was because the first RTX generation allowed Nvidia to understand the technology and then after some experience built a new architecture around it.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
that's nice for them and all but it still makes the people who bought the cards beta testers. i don't mind cause i'm getting everything i need out of mine so it worked out.

Reactions: yuraya and lashman

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Yeah, not exactly the best value cards ever. Still, they should have much longer legs than 10xx thanks to DLSS.

Reactions: Milena and QFNS

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's still September 1st here in the US and with the RTX 3070 news well.........

By the way GPU wise my first one was a GTX 660 that I got in 2014 (by that point in time it has already been out for about 2 years I think, I didn't really know much about GPUs but that was the one I went with since it was about $200-$220 or something like that and I didn't have any money at the time (I had a very very tight budget) other wise I would have maybe spent an extra $100USD on the GPU, I also maybe would have gotten an AMD FX 8350 instead of my AMD FX 8320.

My current GPU is a GTX 1070ti that I got at the end of 2018 I think and I got it used for around $350USD (I think this was not that long after the whole Bitcoin thing and it becoming less popular and cards flooding the market)

Since I gave the money I may even try to get the RTX 3080 but I will have to look more into it and see what else I will have to upgrade including stuff like my PSU. I am waiting for more news on the Ryzen 4xxx CPUs.

After I find out more about all of this I think im just going to give my old parts to my sister and build her a PC.

As of right now my goal is 1440p at well above 100fps.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.