Community MetaSteam | September 2023 - The galaxy awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Finished Trails into Reverie.

Wow. Really great game that puts a nice bow on Crossbell and Erebonia. PH3 absolutely killed it with the port and the only issues I experienced were either text based or due to my own fault (Turns out quitting the game does in fact quit the game, save is a different option for a reason).

Overall amazing game and in true Trails fashion it's probably too long, but Cheat Engine can solve that problem for the lazy. Loved the coda content and very excited for Calvard now.

Trails games are the best in the industry at teasing the upcoming stuff and this one did an amazing job.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

Not sure if people have seen these yet, it's basically Amerlia Tyler (the female Narrator/GM from BG3) having a break down in the recording sessions. Favourite quote from this one is "Baldurs Gate 3, it's a little bit sexy buy you'll end up covered in blood" Which to be honest should have been one of those poster quotes.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Just watched Resident Evil: Death Island

Quite decent, this time seems it's kind of direct Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition sequel + links with Revelations saga.
As usual these CG movies (and Infinite Darkness show) are so much better than the other media productions.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Tech bros are something else.

A game was banned from Steam (I do have the feeling that the game dev may not be telling the whole story) and it has to do with AI and chatGPT. It's a VR game and some other stuff. Dev claimed that when they submitted it that it didn't have anything related to AI in the game build they submitted to Steam. They waited a while to hear back and then their game was banned.

Fast forward and Tim S is now saying that, that game is welcomed on Epic. And tech bros are cheering Tim S for it. I have doubts that those tech bros would have even been interested in the game, not only that but even the main dev was talking about how Epic doesn't have something similar to SteamVR which a lot of games need.

Tim S doesn't respond after this.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Tech bros are something else.

A game was banned from Steam (I do have the feeling that the game dev may not be telling the whole story) and it has to do with AI and chatGPT. It's a VR game and some other stuff. Dev claimed that when they submitted it that it didn't have anything related to AI in the game build they submitted to Steam. They waited a while to hear back and then their game was banned.

Fast forward and Tim S is now saying that, that game is welcomed on Epic. And tech bros are cheering Tim S for it. I have doubts that those tech bros would have even been interested in the game, not only that but even the main dev was talking about how Epic doesn't have something similar to SteamVR which a lot of games need.

Tim S doesn't respond after this.
That person on twitter isn't even the dev of the game is what's funny. So it's someone else getting offended for them on their behalf. The reddit post doesn't have them getting super upset beyond "Oh well fuck my game got delisted, retired what does this mean, is it a hopeless case am I completely screwed? I left something in I shouldnt have" , It has them asking for calm rational responses on what they can logically do next and they get reasonable answers that aren't stupid.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I wonder if the gamedev side of the tale is even true, because if so the Steam policy on AI content is absurd, extremely shortsighted, and incredibly inconsistent.

There are already dozens of shitty cash grab games with AI art flooding the store and Steam is not doing enough to stem the tide. There are games with (non-AI) stolen assets often times being sold on the store, such as that top selling crypto cash grab game a few weeks back... I can understand being cautious about AI visual art because there's at least a remote chance that something will be created by AI that is a regurgitation of an existing work. But the text stuff? You mean content that is surely going into big profile games, into the code? They can't even detect that...

To me, games with dynamic AI content like the gamedev portends is the only interesting future for gaming, unless VR can come back in a huge way or something. It's one way where AI can drastically improve the quality of gaming as a whole. So how will they deal with that?

There's not going to be some legal reckoning where AI content is banned, period. But at this point I view this as yet one more thing literally holding back gaming.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
i do yeah, musicbee :p
Damn, I’m getting old. I rarely use dedicated players but I thought the gold standard was still foobar.
Is this objectively better or a question of taste ? Just curious.

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I still use foobar (1.6.13). There was some controversy a while ago with the main foobar dev and I looked around other players at the time, but couldn't really find the feature parity I wanted from any of them. It's not even that my needs are super broad these days, but I also don't remember exactly what the showstopper was with musicbee for example.

I should look at Strawberry again.

Last edited:

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
I too looked at MusicBee and decided against it, but I can't remember why either. Now I use AIMP (also on Windows Store). Enough customisation so it doesn't look ugly, scales well on 4k (though with a little bit of faffing), plays hi-res 44/96 flac files (which is most of my classical music collection at this point). Job done! :D

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I still use foobar (1.6.13). There was some controversy a while ago with the main foobar dev and I looked around other players at the time, but couldn't really find the feature parity I wanted from any of them. It's not even that my needs are super broad these days, but I also don't remember exactly what the showstopper was with musicbee for example.

I should look at Strawberry again.
I too looked at MusicBee and decided against it, but I can't remember why either. Now I use AIMP (also on Windows Store). Enough customisation so it doesn't look ugly, scales well on 4k (though with a little bit of faffing), plays hi-res 44/96 flac files (which is most of my classical music collection at this point). Job done! :D
Thanks for the recommendations. I want to start a music collection from Bandcamp and iTunes if needed. I'm sick of paying for subscriptions.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Starfield is not the game to be finished in a week. This is something to play for months. And big part of that is at least up until this point I am in the story is that main quest is not something that relies on time (saving princess, saving world or things like that). You are explorer taked to explore. So you just turn on the game and go and do whatever you feel like doing at that moment.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Ultimately I don't really even need music player to look that good, it's almost always in the background anyway, so I don't see it. :grinning-face:

Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Starfield is not the game to be finished in a week. This is something to play for months. And big part of that is at least up until this point I am in the story is that main quest is not something that relies on time (saving princess, saving world or things like that).
I haven't played Starfield yet and probably won't for a while, but if this continues to be true I think it's a good decision.

I always thought that it was quite silly to structure these wide-open RPGs in a way where the main story is (or pretends to be) time-critical. Bethesda's own Oblivion was one of the worst "offenders" regarding this. "The world is literally getting overrun by hell, and I have to stop it. Time to work my way up the guild ladder!"

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I haven't played Starfield yet and probably won't for a while, but if this continues to be true I think it's a good decision.

I always thought that it was quite silly to structure these wide-open RPGs in a way where the main story is (or pretends to be) time-critical. Bethesda's own Oblivion was one of the worst "offenders" regarding this. "The world is literally getting overrun by hell, and I have to stop it. Time to work my way up the guild ladder!"
Games rarely do this well. RDR2 did it well too in my opinion even though it's not real RPG (it still let's you RP on your own XD). But we will see how things will develop in Starfield. So far there is no rush.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
still using

although I would switch to an app that let me select more than one playlist, I have some videos I like to hear, but not on a permanent playlist, so a perm playlist with a secondary playlist that gets displayed less would be cool

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

This is a big trope and appearing in pretty much any game with extensive side content. At some point the main story will increase in urgency, while your hero can still spent months doing simple chores and busy work. My head canon way to deal with that incongruity is to assume the game's narrative is not told in a strictly linear fashion, so those "simpler" moments just naturally occur much earlier or are meant to anyway

Reactions: Durante and lashman

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Foobar and spotify,

With foobar start minimized on notification, global hotkeys and shuffle tracks I rarely even see the UI really, unless I'm adding new songs.
Too bad spotify doesn't have global hotkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.