Reviews Rate the game you finished/retired

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Lovely game. Fantastic design, great music, interesting story, many moments are quite surreal, cool world building. Only negative is that the pacing can be a little off sometimes and the gameplay can get repetive.

Score: 8.3/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Creaks (Amanita Design, 2020)

The ground starts shaking, light bulbs are breaking - and something rather unusual is happening right behind the walls of your very room. You gather your courage and slowly descend into a world inhabited by avian folk and seemingly deadly furniture monsters - but all you need to find your way back home are your wits and a little light.

Pro:
  • Amanita Design's knack for top-end picture-book quality hand-drawn illustration and animation make this latest puzzle game of theirs a visual feast once again. It's not the crazy, bright, random wackiness of Botanicula and CHUCHEL though. With the exception of the wonderfully peculiar hidden collectible mechanical paintings, the colors are earthly and muted and the atmosphere is cozy (despite the vague theme of night-terrors).
  • The puzzling is almost retro in its simplicity. A couple different objects with nicely deterministic and predictable mechanics, fixed movement on a grid, pressure-plates on the floor, switches on walls. In many ways, the essence of this game is the polar opposite of CHUCHEL. In CHUCHEL, the game wants you to enjoy the crazy-funny animations while you figure out what any object in a given scene does by trial and error. Here, you're taught the mechanics of a new game element in one or two tutorial puzzles and then you're challenged to apply what you learned to more complex situations.
  • Fantastic original soundtrack by Joe Acheson aka Hidden Orchestra.
Con:
  • During my play-through, I found two bugs, which disappeared when restarting the current puzzle (the game checkpoints before every single one and unlocks them for level select as you go). But honestly, I have nothing. If you like puzzle games, and if you like what you can see in screenshots of the game, you will like this.

As with almost any Amanita Design release, getting the 110-page-strong digital art-book DLC is money well spent to gain an insight of how this game was quite literally planned and made on paper.

5/5

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND

I had always had a genuine interest in trying FF Legends (aka the original saga games).
This version is just running the original ROMS (both the English and Japanese versions), with a few additions (mainly high speed mode, and for some reason you can play it in portrait mode).

Now, with that said, this version has a huge problem. The original games were GameBoy games so the text in the games is very sparce. So in order to learn the mechanics you were expected to read a manual that came with the game.
The problem here is that the game doesn't provide you that info (there isn't either a manual or some info in the "launcher" of how to use them) so I had to google how the classes and character progression worked (it's not really a problem but there's a couple of things that are worth searching).

As far as the individual games go:

FF Legends (SaGa):
The first one, off this one is rough at times it feels more like a prove of concept than a full game. The plot is simple: go to the top of the tower and learn the secrets of this world.
The game offers you 3 different classes:
  • Humans (M/F): this class doesn't level up in anyway but rather it requires you to buy certain items that will rise your stats.
  • Mutants (M/F): This class levels up more like a SaGa class, (i.e. by using them). They will randomly learn spells, and replace some that you have equiped (the game doesn't tell you, so you might no realise you've lost a skill you wanted until it's too late).
  • Monsters: The most interesting class. They don't level up but rather will evolve by eating the enemies meat (that's dropped by monster enemies), there are some tables in the internet that will teach you how it works, you might want to check them since certain meats might downgrade your monster.
The inventory system is very restrictive since you can only have like 8 items in the inventory + w/e you have equiped.
Also, weapons have limited uses spells too (but those are replenishable when you rest).
In theory if a party member dies too many times you lose it forever and need to get a new one (I say in theory, because I never reached that situation.)

FF Legends II (SaGa II):
Compared to the previous game it has some semblance of a story and feels more cohesive.
It really feels like a full game (for what an 8-bit handheld jrpg can be).
The story gets started because you have to find your long lost father. Each of the places you visit has a theme going on (that kind of happens in the first, but you visit so few areas)
This game includes a Memo that has all the info you've collected for things you might need to know.
This game shows you the stat games at the end of the fight (which is a welcomed change).

This game includes a new class and has some adjustments to the already existing ones.
  • Humans: they work similarly to the previous game, except for the fact that they now level up by using them.
  • Mutants: Work similarly to the previous game, but now you know that the skill you will lose will always be the last one on your list of skills, so you can always put as the last the ability you care the less about.
  • Monsters: They work exaclty the same.
  • Robots: Their stats, are tied to their equipment (weapons go back to their full number of uses upon rest).
The inventory system is a bit better. And unlike the previous game the party you choose at the beginning is fixed (barring monster transformations and guest party members).

FF Legends III (SaGa III):
The last of the 3 games. This game, I believe, was made by a totally different team and it shows. It plays more like a traditional JRPG. With a traditional leveling system.
The game keeps the class system but with a few twists. You start with a party of two humans and two mutants. That you can, if you want, transform into monster or robots (and back again) if you consume their drops. That said I didn't feel the need to experiment with it, but I guess it can add some depth to the system.

The story plays a bit with time travel which is kind of interesting.

With all that said, I have no idea how to rate these games. I mean they're good, as far as 8 bit JRPGs go but they're products of their time.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
Finished Unpacking

Not that much to say about it tbh. What you see is what you get. Grab items from your moving boxes and place them on the correct shelves and whatnot. Still, it's more enjoyable and addictive than some might think. And the art is excellent.

I think they could have done a bit more with the puzzle elements of fitting everything where it needs to be. As it stands the only challenge was a handful of times where I didn't know where certain items belong. Maybe they could have done a bit more with the story aspect too?

Pretty funny to see that their previous game was Assault Android Cactus as the games are pretty much polar opposites.

Rating: Good

Paul

Jan 26, 2019
Lovely game.
Love that moment when I read about interesting sounding games I never heard of, check PC gamepass, and it is there, all ready and willing and waiting to be downloaded. Thanks for the tip .)

Reactions: xinek

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Finished a New Game + of Resident Evil 5 (monthly retro)....

I like this one, its built on the success of 4 with the same mechanics pretty much, has a decent story, introduces Sheva to the cast list who accompanies Chris Redfield through an African adventure. Usual Resi nonsense to be found with ridiculous set pieces, irritating quick time events and funny gameplay moments. I was playing a second (or third) playthrough and so had unlocked most weapons and some funny outfits, Sheva was in a business suit and Chris was dressed like Lord Humungus from Mad Max. Its fun. Maybe feels a bit clunky at times but thats part of its charm.

8/10

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Finished a New Game + of Resident Evil 5 (monthly retro)....

I like this one, its built on the success of 4 with the same mechanics pretty much, has a decent story, introduces Sheva to the cast list who accompanies Chris Redfield through an African adventure. Usual Resi nonsense to be found with ridiculous set pieces, irritating quick time events and funny gameplay moments. I was playing a second (or third) playthrough and so had unlocked most weapons and some funny outfits, Sheva was in a business suit and Chris was dressed like Lord Humungus from Mad Max. Its fun. Maybe feels a bit clunky at times but thats part of its charm.

8/10

I disliked a lot of things about this game, but as an overall package, I enjoyed it nonetheless mainly because I played in CO-OP with a friend. If I had to play this alone then I would probably dislike this game. Also, the mansion DLC was pretty cool.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I disliked a lot of things about this game, but as an overall package, I enjoyed it nonetheless mainly because I played in CO-OP with a friend. If I had to play this alone then I would probably dislike this game. Also, the mansion DLC was pretty cool.
Its definitely got its flaws and the Companion A.I is frustrating at times, i played as Sheva and It was like Chris was an excited puppy always surrounding me and getting in the way. I still like it though.

(although i like all the Actiony resi games - 6 is the best :dmcblob:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto

Yeah, the mansion DLC is my favourite thing about RE 5.

Thanks to DLC, we also got this masterpiece.

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Very well designed hybrid between a visual novel and "escape room" game, where nine people wake up in a strange building and have to complete different puzzle rooms in order to escape. After each room, everyone must choose to ally or betray the people they played with, which affects the number of points that is shown on everyone's bracelet. If someone gets 9 points, that person can escape. If someone gets zero points, that person dies.

The story events and their outcome are based on the choices you make in the game (ally/betray, the people you team up with etc). To get the "real" ending, you have to explore all different story outcomes. While you discover something new in each storyline and you get new puzzle rooms each time, it does become a bit repetitive after a while. It took me over 30 hours to get the true ending, and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoyed the game more if it was 10 hours shorter. The true ending is also rather complex, I had a hard time following what was really going on. Despite these issues, this game is definitely worth playing because it does so many things right

Score: 8.1/10

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Finished Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Very well designed hybrid between a visual novel and "escape room" game, where nine people wake up in a strange building and have to complete different puzzle rooms in order to escape. After each room, everyone must choose to ally or betray the people they played with, which affects the number of points that is shown on everyone's bracelet. If someone gets 9 points, that person can escape. If someone gets zero points, that person dies.

The story events and their outcome are based on the choices you make in the game (ally/betray, the people you team up with etc). To get the "real" ending, you have to explore all different story outcomes. While you discover something new in each storyline and you get new puzzle rooms each time, it does become a bit repetitive after a while. It took me over 30 hours to get the true ending, and I'm pretty sure I'd enjoyed the game more if it was 10 hours shorter. The true ending is also rather complex, I had a hard time following what was really going on. Despite these issues, this game is definitely worth playing because it does so many things right

Score: 8.1/10
Without spoiling for others, I'll say the true ending moment is a bit muddled (along with a lot of translation), due to being played on one screen. The true experience is the DS version.
Very good summary :

Finished(?) Diablo III : Starter Edition (First 3-4 hours of Diablo III)

Now I can see why it is derided among ARPG fans.
The skill system just unlocks for you and you can't customize characters to much extent. Difficulty is way easy for normal, I was just standing normally while a boss attacked me and it did like some 10% damage. Loot is ok. Not impressed with enemy variety. Story and tone is meh.

I think I should try other ARPGs.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Bright Memory Infinite. Took me a couple hours to get through it. Like the first BM, this one’s pretty decent looking, although Shelia’s character model looks a bit off. Especially in the early cinematic where she’s lounging around in her super short jean shorts. Legs just look a bit…long.

But hey, we’re here for the gameplay. Come to think of it her face is a little eh. Like tremendous detail in the environments, but her face didn’t get that same level of treatment. Anyways, the game plays very well and your upgradeable abilities are fun to wield. Over the course of the game you’ll collect the usual lineup of guns, all of which sport an alternate fire mode. The sword is kinda the star of the show. Infinite now gives you the chance to block/deflect incoming damage.

Unlike the original, Infinite adds a good number of mini bosses, and a couple standard bosses, to deal with. There’s even a brief driving section. Your car has a gun mounted to it, but oddly enough I couldn’t freely aim with it.

Unfortunately I encountered quite a few fatal errors, as my game crashed a good five or six times. Worst crash was right after beating the final boss. Sadly the game didn’t save after that part, so I wound up YouTubing the last cinematic,

It was fun for a couple hours. As a freebie for BM owners, it’s worth a play. For anyone who hasn’t bought the game yet, I think don’t think it’s worth $20.
Wait for a sale. 6.5/10

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished Call of Duty: Vanguard-Campaign (PC)

Visually really great, some spectacual set pieces, nice sound and decent gameplay. However I did not care about the story at all, it was also a very short campaign (6 hours or so) with 9 missions. If you have played other CoD campaigns Vanguard will feel the same, not much difference here. The foundation is solid, but not much difference from other CoD campaigns, which drags it down.

Score: 7.5/10

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Amnesia: Machine for Pigs

I can see why so many people were disappointed with this game, since it's rather different from the first Amnesia game. Like Dear Ester, Machine for Pigs is a "walking simulator", but with a horror theme and a few monsters you have to avoid.

This said, I really enjoyed the experience. This is mainly thanks to the sublime level design; especially the underground factory is very well designed, with it's huge working machines and creepy atmosphere. The sound and music are also excellent, playing this game in a dark room gave me the shivers more than once.

Only flaw for me was that the notes scattered throughout the game didn't make any sense for me, perhaps because English isn't my native language. But the dialogs and level design makes it clear enough what's going on. Definitely worth playing!

Score: 7.9/10

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Retired Mordheim: City of the Damned

I hate to be that guy who plays a game for over 50 hours and gives it a negative review anyway, but hear me out. The reason why I've spent so much time in this game is because I really loved the concept: a Warhammer game with 1st person turn-based combat, melee/ranged/magic attacks, lots of buffs/debuffs and special moves, different classes with deep RPG stats and huge maps filled with loot. This could have been one of the best Warhammer games ever, but several poor design choices turns it into a highly frustrating experience that is straight up unfair.

First of all, everything you do depends highly on RNG. Get ready to miss attacks and parry's with high accuracy over and over again, resulting in painful defeats for your high level characters. This wouldn't have been a problem if you could just retry the mission, but no, there's a high chance that a defeat results in a permanent handicap or even permdeath.

While I love a good hardcore experience where every move needs to be considered carefully, the defeats in Mordheim often feel unfair. You can only see enemies in your line of sight, so any moment you can be taken out by enemies waiting for you around the corner. This problem becomes completely absurd in the library story mission, which is filled with teleport pads. My level 8 warband leader was taken out with 3 critical hits in a row by an enemy guarding the destination area of a teleport path, resulting in a permdeath. There was literally NOTHING I could have done to prevent this. This is extremely frustrating, especially because it takes A LOT of time to level up a new leader.

Another huge problem is that the enemies always seem to be a lot stronger than you are. And once an enemy sees you, all other enemies are coming directly towards you. Because of this, the only safe strategy to beat a map is to keep all your characters together, or you'll be wiped out in no time. To make things worse, in the story missions new enemies spawn endless until you've completed certain objectives. This makes it very hard to complete a story mission for the first time, since you have no idea where to go or what to do. But you'll be punished with permdeaths and handicaps anyway when failing.

It's really sad to see how a game with so much potential became a source of frustration because of bad design choices. Therefore I really can't recommend it.

Score: 5.2/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Yesterday (Pendulo Studios / Focus Home Interactive, 2012)

A mystery / detective point and click adventure. Get to the bottom of a mystery that spans centuries and encompasses the mundane, the supernatural and the occult - told in a flurry of flashbacks and changing perspectives.

Pro:
  • Despite being assembled from well-known tropes, the story is never predictable
  • Very fine-grained checkpointing auto-save system that lets you revisit pretty much every scene
  • Very fair built-in hint system that is carefully designed to nudge you towards progress without outright spoiling the fun, and a hotspot-highlighting feature for people (like me) who don't like pixel-hunting
Con:
  • Part of the reason that the story is unpredictable is that some of the twists and turns are outright absurd
  • The same goes for some of the puzzles - the game is not afraid to deploy some classic "adventure-game logic"
  • Very short net play time (4 hours), but unless you abuse the hint feature, the puzzles will keep you busy for probably twice as long

I recently found a very sweet deal for the sequel/prequel/spin-off "Yesterday Origins" and then of course had to play the game that inspired it as well. To be honest, I was ready to be disappointed, but the game managed to be quite interesting thanks to its hint-system and being short and to the point.

3.75/5

Mivey

MeatMember
Sep 20, 2018
I finished Metroid Dread on the Nintendo Switch ( nice and sparkly OLED too)

After some time away from it, I really gotta say this is easily the best 2D Metroid game of all time for me. I understand that it's probably not as universally accessible as something like Super Metroid was, which was both much easier and slower paced and methodical. However, I personally like the direction that Mercury Steam has given the series, beginning with Samus Returns. Where that game was quite flawed due primarily the limitations of the 3DS, having to even use the touchscreen for important functions due to a lack of useful buttons, with the Switch they finally have a game on a proper gaming device and it's running at a smooth 60 FPS too (though there was some late-game scenes where the fame rate drops a bit).

Dread continues the direction the series took with Fusion, where Samus isn't always fully in control and must occasionally face enemies much stronger than her. In Fusion, that was SA-X, an X virus clone of herself. Due to the events in Fusion, she's deeply vulnerable to the ice beam that SA-X fires and so every time you see the character, it's a deeply memorable and scary moment. But for all the effective use of SA-X, it was still just a bunch of scripted moments. Dread takes up the idea, and transforms it into the EMMI encounters: machine predators, completely invulnerable, but with a clearly marked area where they may hunt Samus. The game forces you to enter that area repeatedly to traverse the world, and each time it's a nerve wrecking experience. That is, until Samus always find a method to destroy the EMMI, turning the hunted back into the huntress.

Aside from the EMMI sequences, Dread has plenty of other boss fights too, and I really liked all of them. Super intense experience and getting all the upgrades over time is just as satisfying here as it was in all previous games. Even some nice new abilities with the Aeon stuff .

Really hope Mercury Steam gets to make more of these. Brilliant game, and loved every moment of it. My only wish would be to give the game more optional areas to allow better exploration, but after some thinking, I'm not sure there's a way of doing that without undermining the great pacing the game has.

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition (Rocksteady Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, 2012)

Arkham City. The new maximum security home for all of Gotham City's thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, the sequel to Arkham Asylum introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe.

Pro:
  • It's hard to overstate how incredibly well this game still looks despite being 10 years old now. The PC port featured every bell and whistle that Rocksteady and technology partner Nvidia could throw at it at the time, and while it was very taxing on the PCs of the time as well, it really shines on modern equipment - so much that it outshines games made years later.
  • Production values and presentation are what you would expect from a big WB AAA title: Huge, and flawless. The only thing that I don't have unreserved praise for is the music, which I thought is a bit too generically bombastic. Too many full choirs over epic string staccatos.
  • Main story is as good as it gets in the superhero genre, although I felt that Arkham Asylum's was a little more quirky and interesting.
  • Catwoman. Purrrrr.
Con:
  • This game has too much of everything. Too many collectibles, too many side-missions, too many upgrades, too many combos, too many combos of combos. Even the default controller layout is overloaded. I was struggling to remember buttons and mechanics through my whole playthrough, even though I was playing the game daily at the end to try and forget as little as possible. And this isn't just a quality of life complaint. It really turned a game that by all rights should have been really enjoyable into something I eventually just wanted to end.
  • The hardware-accelerated PhysX support does work on modern GPUs, but can cause issues with hangs and crashes. The software-rendered physics look just as good in my opinion though, not a huge loss.
  • Config file editing is required to remove a 60 FPS cap in the game engine (the dreaded Unreal Engine 3 "bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE"), recommended even if you play on a 60 Hz display, since the game can get overzealous with the capping. Let vsync cap it instead.

By all objective criteria that I can come up with: Great game. Still would recommend to anybody to try if they haven't played it yet, even if I ended up grudge-playing it towards the end.

3/5

Dec 5, 2018
Final Fantasy V (Pixel Remaster)

When I originally played this game (in the GBA version to be precise) it wasn't my favorite, it didn't quite click with me. That was mostly because compared to it's predecessor and successor the story seems to take a step back, which makes sense the cast ot the other two games is massive compared to this one. The main party is only made up of 4 members (well, 5 since one will be replaced later in the story).

The story is the traditional final fantasy fare, find the crystals (which will give you new jobs/classes) and save the world/s. I mean, sure, the characters get some development but It always felt a bit less. That said they seem to have way more expressive characters, they seem to love to make them emote (mostly with a surprise/shock face) constantly. You could say that this game feels more goofy, but I kind of like it (even if it gets a bit excessive at times)

Anyway, where this game shines is in the combat system. This game is FFIII on steroids. In both games you get jobs as the story progresses (with a couple of hidden ones). But whereas in FFIII there was really not a single incentive to level up old jobs when you get newer and better ones in this game there is a huge incentive. Leveling up (jobs) allows you to do two things.

The first (which is not obvious earlier on) is that all of the stat bonuses (but not the penalities) and the passive skills of a mastered class will be carried to the starting job, the freelancer (that technically it's not a job). Meaning that the most useless class becomes the most powerful later in the game.

The second, which is the meat of the game. All classes have one ability/skill (except for the freelancer that has none) which is fixed and then they can equip a second skill, that can be from any of the previously unlocked skills. To put an example, if you level up the white mage to level 3, any other classes can equip the level 3 white magic. That adds a ton of flexibility to the system.

As for this pixel remaster, this is the first time that an "HD" version has actually a cohesive style (if you ignore the default font and replace it for one that fix better) which is nice. As all the other pixel remasters it includes an orchestral soundtrack, which is very good, auto-battle,minimap with the chest in the area, and the option to quick save in any place (+ the autosave on every load).

This version loses the post-game dungeon and post-game jobs that were added to the GBA/mobile/steam versions, and while that was one of the post-game additons that I liked from the re-releases of old FF games, I don't think it will matter much in the end.

8/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished Trine 2 - Complete Story (Frozenbyte, 2011)

Trine 2 is a sidescrolling game of action, puzzles and platforming. You play as one of the three heroes who make their way through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world. Each hero - a wizard, an archer-thief and a knight-in-armor - has their own set of abilities and skill-tree.

Pro:
  • Everyone who played the first Trine knew that the (then) modern remix of The Lost Vikings had legs for a sequel or two, and Frozenbyte happily agreed. Gameplay is essentially unchanged and so is the presentation, and both were - and still are - great.
  • Roughly twice the amount of content compared to the first Trine.
  • The main game is really all about letting players cheese their way through every level like they please. The real hardcore puzzle challenge, where you're meant to find a very specific - and tricky - solution, is in getting all the optional collectibles. I really like this design choice and often wish more puzzle games would follow it, particularly puzzle games built around a physics engine.
Con:
  • The Goblin Menace DLC strays a little from the last bullet point in Pro and puts some roadblocks in the player's way that require a specific strategy (and set of skills from the skill tree) to solve.

Everyone loves Trine and so do I. For some reason I left this half-finished in 2014 and now it's gone from my backlog and added into my personal catalog of best-of-2010s-gaming.

4/5

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Finished Darksiders 3

It happens more and more often that sequels are dropping a lot of the things that made the original games unique, and copy stuff from other popular games instead. Darksiders 3 is doing this as well, lots of it's gameplay elements are literally copied from Dark Souls.

While I truly regret this design decision, I have to admit that Darksiders 3 is much, much better than I expected. While the game has several flaws - especially the camera and story/character design - most other things are very well made.

First of all, the game world is incredible, with clever level design and beautiful graphics with bright colors. The combat is great as well; the arcane system that gives you special attacks when you time your evasions right works really well, and thanks to the ability to switch between 4 secondary weapons with unique moves the combat never grew tired on me. I also really enjoyed most of the boss battles, which are very engaging and require a unique strategy to beat them.

Despite it's flaws, Darksiders 3 is a good game that's definitely worth playing. I hope we'll get a sequel some day, and that the developers will combine the strong elements from this game with the best things of the first two games.

Score: 7.9/10

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Finished

Managed to get 3/4 endings, one of them the canon ending. Really great, interesting and fascinating time loop story game. Was really interesting to find stuff out and the mystery behind everything was also really nice. What drags it down is somewhat mediocre combat (bow and arrow) and a bit janky gameplay/movement. However, the game's main focus is definetly the lore and story, finding out everything which the game did perfectly. Super interesting and captivating storytelling with lots of loose story threads that was very fun and interesting to solve.

Score: 8.6/10

Dec 5, 2018
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion

Very charming game where you're a turnip who hasn't been paying taxes so you must work for the mayor to repay them.

It's a very simple game, with simple puzzles and simple combat but charming all the same (the music is also pretty good)..

The story gets darker and out of control, which I did enjoy.

It's also a very short game, which is nice for a change.

8/10

OP
Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Retired S.W.I.N.E. HD Remaster

S.W.I.N.E. HD Remaster is an excellent remaster of a game that didn't age very well. It's a great nostalgic experience for fans of the original game, but barely fun for new players. This is because S.W.I.N.E. has way too many flaws to be enjoyable nowadays:

• The pathfinding is the worst I've ever seen in an RTS game. Even when micro-managing every unit individually, they are getting stuck together or making large detours around each other.
  • Units are transferred from one mission to the next one, while you only get a very limited amount of credits between each mission to buy new units. This means if you loose too many units in a mission, it's impossible to finish the next mission with your remaining units. This is just bad game design.
  • There are only vehicles in the game, no infantry or flying units. Units also don't have vulnerabilities for certain other units.
  • The enemy AI is almost non-existent. Enemy units just come towards you in a straight line when they see you.
  • The campaign missions lack creative ideas and become repetitive very soon
  • The voices of the units with their fake accents are extremely annoying, and there's no in-game music (or it's bugged for me)

Tldr: only buy this if you're a fan of the original game. Everyone else, go buy C&C Remastered instead if you want to enjoy a good classic RTS.

Score: 5.0/10

Virtual Ruminant

MetaMember
May 21, 2020
Finished The Inner World (Studio Fizbin / Headup Games, 2013)

Clumsy 15 year-old orphan Robert is thrown head-first into adventure when a bird steals his stepfather's necklace and Robert gives chase. In the process, everything he thought he knew about himself, his family and the strange place he lives in unravels - and, together with young rebel Laura, he ends up on a quest to right a great wrong - and save the world.

Pro:
  • Presentation is fine for what it is, and the voice acting is good.
  • Fair and fine-grained hint-system that will get you through the whole game without a guide if necessary, but will not spoil even one detail more than needed.
Con:
  • The writing is a medium-grade disaster. The world-building is haphazard and contradictory, the conversations with NPCs are tediously long, for the most part boring and often only tangential to the puzzles. The player character is an outright idiot, and not of the charming kind. The puzzles are, without exception, the worst kind of point-and-click bullshit logic contortions imaginable. At several key points in the story, the solution you're working towards is a looney-tunes-cartoon moment that you have no chance of guessing at. It dawned on me about 30 minutes in: This is a German point-and-click adventure. Which, to the initiated, is as much of a warning label and red flag as German porn.
  • A lot of voice-over lines apparently were lost at some point during development or recording and are simply missing. I counted approximately 30.

This was painful to play, but I did it for the sake of backlog cleanup. What's worse, I also own the sequel and will have to play that at some point, too. Seriously: Don't trust the Steam reviews on this one. This game is for a special audience. If you're not part of that audience, you will not have a good time. Not even ironically.

2/5