Community The Comics & Manga Thread - From Cape books, to Shonens, to Webcomics, to Shoujos, to Alternative, to Manhwas & more!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Rookie numbers, I got 400+ comics to catch up on :fearful-face:
That being said, having read several Suicide Squad issues now, I can confirm Tom Taylor is now in my short list of ‘it’s by him, so I read it’ in the sollicitations. Let’s hope he fares better than the last one, Al Ewing, who while still being in the list, seems to be a little over relied on, diminishing his potential.

Reactions: dummmyy and Tizoc

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Catching up on ton of comics can be tiring with so much mediocrity on the market. I mean mediocre, not the worst terrible burn it with fire, just MEH.

I gotta say though that I'm in a sweet spot right now. Joker War and Dark Nights Death Metal first issues were totally readable, and I'm relatively excited to read Last Knight on Earth and Three Jokers.
Just finished New Gods by Jack Kirby, too and next in line on the oldies front should be Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby, in order to better understand the character, then the recent Mister Miracle by Tom King.

I'm super DC leaning these days though, that's a little surprising for someone who grew-up on Marvel, but damn if most of what Marvel publishes doesn't seem appealing. I just dropped Avengers. I couldn't stand one more line from Jason Aaron take on it. Pure unadulterated liquid shit. Then I spoiled myself on Heroes Reborn and I was so glad I did :so-good-blob:
I guess the X line is in good shape, but it tries my patience in its own way too. I'm not 15 anymore, I don't love the X-Men enough to read an ever expanding shit ton of books every month. So yeah, they weren't bad, but I parted ways with Marauders, New Mutants and Excalibur (this one was BAD, though), didn't try Cable, and toying with the idea of dropping Wolverine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tizoc
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Witch Hat Atelier is chef's kiss
Now to wait for the next volumes to get localized T_T

Kamome Shirahama da gawd

• Gib
Reactions: Ascheroth

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I can only recommend the manga of Gundam The Origin too. I haven't finished it yet and got it on Tizoc's advice, but I just wonder where the story goes from where the anime left off.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I forgot A LOT of the Original TMNT comic series, so one day I wanna get around to re reading it...>_>;

^Current Robin series

Last edited:
  • Gib

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
There's a new Bleach special chapter out on Viz/Mangaplus.
Which seems to be kicking off a sequel arc.
And most shockingly, I actually enjoyed it and find the premise pretty interesting.

...What is going on.

• Toucan
Reactions: Virix and prudis

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There's a new Bleach special chapter out on Viz/Mangaplus.
Which seems to be kicking off a sequel arc.
And most shockingly, I actually enjoyed it and find the premise pretty interesting.

...What is going on.
Oh YOU ! I just learned that Q Hayashida has a new manga getting published, 'Dai Dark'. Why did you fail us ? :disapproval-blob:

And on a related topic, why did I stop reading 'Dorohedoro' long enough to forget parts of it and have now to restart this gem ? Why did I fail myself ? :crying-face:

• Comfy

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Why did I have the fucking stupid idea that I would be allowed to buy this ? :tired-face:

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I am reading dorohedoro following the anime on netflix. Slowpy making my way tho xp

In other news

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Oh YOU ! I just learned that Q Hayashida has a new manga getting published, 'Dai Dark'. Why did you fail us ? :disapproval-blob:

And on a related topic, why did I stop reading 'Dorohedoro' long enough to forget parts of it and have now to restart this gem ? Why did I fail myself ? :crying-face:
I don't really recommend stuff I'm not reading myself, and I tend to not read stuff that isn't either complete or has a good chunk of volumes/chapters available nowadays, so while I'm aware that Dai Dark exists, I have not clue about it and therefore never mentioned it. :steam_pigblanket:

• Hug
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Chiming in with some comic recs.

First off, the current Nightwing series is great fun. It gives me that 'feel good street live masked vigilante/super hero' vibe that I feel we could use from time to time. Helps that the art is great too.

Next, I want to recommend the works of Mark Russel

His Wonder Twins series is nice and he also wrote The Flintstones and a Snagglepuss mini series, both which I heard good things about. His Second Coming series is nice as well. You'll notice his work involves telling stories with heavy themes but there is always a hope spot for people to do the right thing that can push to make a difference. Add to this a nice humorous wit

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Slowly progressing Dorohedoro and man things getting bloodier and gorier

I just remembered that I need to get to reading GL Far Sector @3@

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Today I learned there's a sort of MCU for Webtoons/Manhwas called "Super String".
It started when I randomly looked for something to read and stumbled upon a webtoon called "Jungle Juice" which is about people getting insect powers alongside mutations. It has a bit of a My Hero Academia feel to it, except the insect humans are hiding themselves. It's good!
Fantastic art too.
Can be read on Webtoon.

Then I read that it's apparently part of a shared universe consisting of these works (and maybe more? dunno, haven't looked super much into it yet):

Source

And then I got floored because Blade of the Phantom Master (aka Shin Angyo Onshi) was one of my favorite series way back when I started getting into the manga/manhwa scene and I didn't even know it's part of somthing bigger :O
(Although it's apparently an alternate universe and doesn't really matter? Still.)

Interesting.

• Gib

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I know i'm getting older but this hit me like a brick... WTF?!

• Love

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I know i'm getting older but this hit me like a brick... WTF?!

Hmm, I'm at... check notes... Complete Case Files 11/37.
Ok, clone me already :anguished-face:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
It's made me realise that i started reading a couple of issues before Slaine debuted and had ~15 years of 2000AD in my garage that ended up getting mouldy together with a ton of my other books and magazines from my childhood and they had to go to the tip.

Damn, 2000AD and the offshoots like the Megazine and Crisis were a huge part of my childhood. I'll have to look at getting some Nemesis the Warlock, Slaine and Strontium Dog in for a read.

Where are you reading your Dredd stuff? Online i assume?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
It's made me realise that i started reading a couple of issues before Slaine debuted and had ~15 years of 2000AD in my garage that ended up getting mouldy together with a ton of my other books and magazines from my childhood and they had to go to the tip.

Damn, 2000AD and the offshoots like the Megazine and Crisis were a huge part of my childhood. I'll have to look at getting some Nemesis the Warlock, Slaine and Strontium Dog in for a read.

Where are you reading your Dredd stuff? Online i assume?
Yeah online, times made sure that I couldn't afford physical stuff anymore.

I really would like to read 2000AD, but my OCD brain is not playing nice with dropping in fresh after 45 years of publication.
I guess I should try it with the seemingly annual issue in which every story is beginning. But even that would mean skipping decades of Dredd. I'm not too fond of that because, while I will totally grant that early Dredd has aged, it seems to be extremely constant in quality. The lows are not that low, and they are not that frequent. Makes skipping harder.
I tried, I read 10 Case Files and America, I should be ready for current issues. But that's a waste of so many good comics :confounded-face:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I started Judge Dredd Complete Case Files 11, and yes, I blame EdwardTivrusky

I may have to revise my assessment of Dredd constant quality. Early stories in this one were weak and felt been there done that.
And I'm surprised this volume is not more present in people 'how to start reading Dredd' list. But this need moar explanations, I sense a poorly structured post.

I stand by my stance that until that point, not that Dredd wasn't fascist, he obviously was, but the world was presented as bonker and self-destructive enough that the Judges actions felt appropriate. But if we omit an earlier story (that may be linked to the one I will talk about), the tone is changing in this volume. An interesting questioning, I think, not about the need for Law above all else, motherfuckers, but more interesting about what distance one will go to in order to keep it that way. And yeah, it's becoming quite grim.
Secondly, I must underline how this storyline feels like America before America. To the point I'm wondering now if America was really needed and not a retread. I can't say this is the volume when reality hits the comedy and Dredd becomes dark, as I said it was already started in an hostage story in an earlier volume, but yeah, shit has hit the fan.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I started reading Terror Man.
It gud.

Teenager has the ability to see "misfortune" that will happen shortly in the future. Becomes a hero "terrorist" in order to protect people from danger. Logic checks out. (For real though, it's fun.)

Also, I don't think it has been mentioned here yet.
JoJo Part 8: JoJolion has ended! Part 9 "JoJo Lands" already announced.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Dredd was always a parody of America from films and media as seen in the UK and taken to an extreme.
Also, Dredd ALWAYS had ebbs and flows with comedic and serious storys mixed in and yes, some were shit.
Dredd went from super dark, to action movie, to comedy all the time. The same with a lot of the 2000AD main characters, i mean you can't write the same character day-in, day-out without mixing it up a bit and with different artists and writer combos you get different takes and focus.

If you think about it at that time Marvel were just about to hit a massive low-point, DC too and both companies brought in British and International talent to help revive their franchises. As kids we viewed Marvel and DC as nothing that special and a bit tired and it wasn't until the new talent came onboard that things started looking up. Marvel 30 years ago were about to under too don't forget and it took them a while to turn things around again and be brave. DC bringing in Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Garth Ennis etc really mixed things up and brought a maturity to the US Comics that pulled them out of the quagmire they were in.

• Love
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Green Lantern Far Sector was good.
It's a bit slow at times but the setting and worldbuilding are nice and it presents Jo's challenges and how she grows from her experiences quite well.
The art by Jamal Campbell is superb too.

I started reading Terror Man.
It gud.

Teenager has the ability to see "misfortune" that will happen shortly in the future. Becomes a hero "terrorist" in order to protect people from danger. Logic checks out. (For real though, it's fun.)

Also, I don't think it has been mentioned here yet.
JoJo Part 8: JoJolion has ended! Part 9 "JoJo Lands" already announced.
I'll give this terror man a quick read :blobeyes:

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

It's up! 3 eps. so far but they're all comfy and fun~

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Note to self:
X-mas comic book purchases will be Far Sector, Nightwing, Suicide Squad BB

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Orayn

Lucky
Oct 25, 2018
Any Kaiju No. 8 fans here? There's a new chapter coming today, third week in a row, which is surprising because it switched to being biweekly a while ago.

If you're not a Kaiju No. 8 fan, you should be. Think Naruto, MHA, Tokyo Ghoul, or Attack On Titan, except the main character is 32 years old and getting a second lease on life when a giant monster corpse cleanup job goes sideways. Very funny, lots of heart, great art and action scenes. Current official sources are Viz' Shonen Jump subscription and Shueisha's Manga Plus app, though they use different translations and titles from some strange reason. I prefer the Viz version myself.

EDIT: Next chapter is coming after only a week too. I guess the series is straight up back to being weekly for now. Very exciting.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Any Kaiju No. 8 fans here? There's a new chapter coming today, third week in a row, which is surprising because it switched to being biweekly a while ago.

If you're not a Kaiju No. 8 fan, you should be. Think Naruto, MHA, Tokyo Ghoul, or Attack On Titan, except the main character is 32 years old and getting a second lease on life when a giant monster corpse cleanup job goes sideways. Very funny, lots of heart, great art and action scenes. Current official sources are Viz' Shonen Jump subscription and Shueisha's Manga Plus app, though they use different translations and titles from some strange reason. I prefer the Viz version myself.

EDIT: Next chapter is coming after only a week too. I guess the series is straight up back to being weekly for now. Very exciting.
Yup, I like it.
I don't think anything it does is setting the world on fire, but it's a nice and clean read.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Meh, how are Ayashimon and Shugomaru, the new Jump series ?
I am sort of interested in reading some manga today, but as fucking Shonens are the only ones accessible via a sub, I suppose it will pass. I wonder if the service is a success and if so why don't we see equivalent for other brands.

Though yeah, in France I suppose the publishers would go on a nuclear meltdown.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Meh, how are Ayashimon and Shugomaru, the new Jump series ?
I am sort of interested in reading some manga today, but as fucking Shonens are the only ones accessible via a sub, I suppose it will pass. I wonder if the service is a success and if so why don't we see equivalent for other brands.

Though yeah, in France I suppose the publishers would go on a nuclear meltdown.
Aren't those 2 series in the genre of 'Bodyguard for a young teenage girl'?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Aren't those 2 series in the genre of 'Bodyguard for a young teenage girl'?
For Shugomaru I think so, Ayashimon no idea.

Nearly done with Eternals by Kirby. I have to say that it was a big slog. New Gods worked better on me, not sure why.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Monogatari bundle is back

And there's 2 days left on the Lone Wolf & Cub books so i must have got 9 hours muddled with 9 days unless they extended it? Which i doubt.

OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I think theye xtended the Lone wolf and cub bundle, which is good.

Gonna make some purchases by end of the month :blobeyes:
I want to get a Dark Souls artbook or 'all about Dark Souls' kinda book ala the World of Warcraft books, but the available ones are...well they're OK at least.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Been trying to get my hands on boxset of Gantz manga. But I'm continuously outbid on Ebay lol. Maybe i'm just bad at auctions.

It's kinda annoying there is no digital alternative these days. Say what you want about real paper books having that smell and touch, but damn, digital alternatives may not be as exciting but sure solve the problem of availability!!