Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yay, missed this nugget in the new oculus software update yesterday.
We added a new toggle for automatically launching Home. Switching this setting off will stop Home from auto-launching in scenarios like jumping into VR and exiting out of apps. You can find this option within the Settings > General menu inside Oculus desktop app.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Missed this Echo VR/Arena patch which adds stuff like AI opponents too (AI actually looks good, the games are pretty complex!). But it's not live on my end.

All the Echo games, starting with Lone Echo, have some of the best locomotion in VR & sweet production values/polish. Echo VR is still free (sans Arena DLC)!

This continues to look so good though, glad its kickstarter is going decently:

Plus a couple more OC6 stuff they had yet to upload.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
And a patch for Humans 101! I've yet to try this but it seems kinda cute and the pitiful amount of reviews is positive.

I have no idea what to expect from the gameplay part and the user creation component anyway.

And a Steam VR patch incoming (beta atm) that hopefully fixes annoying things like the audio not getting routed to the HMD when you wanna play (or whatever) in VR or not get back to the regular speakers/audio device you prefer when you quit your VR session regardless of the settings.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Watching some VIvE Cosmos hands-on videos. Everyone so far (VR Oasis, Cas and Chery, Adam Savage tested) says that the tracking is subpar.

When I personalyl went from PSVR to Rift (3 sensors) I saw how important good tracking is for the experience and drifting is a huge annoyance.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully it's not the fault of the cameras but rather software they can improve on (as Rift S/Quest got improved tracking since launch). An outlet said they couldn't make the thing work at all at night as the light was apparently too low no matter what so maybe the cameras suck too. They postponed the review.

Gives good reason for all (?) other products' inside out VR cameras being IR based even if people dislike that it makes the pass through greyscale like.

And I'm sure you too have seen that the OldRift external cameras seem to still work just fine even if the only light in the room comes from my PC monitor (which may also just be showing a black screen depending on the game and if I've enabled the monitor rendering or not so I don't know what their limits are).
When I personalyl went from PSVR to Rift (3 sensors) I saw how important good tracking is for the experience and drifting is a huge annoyance.
Word. I was blown away when first getting in VR and double checking it by looking down from the nose gap on my forearm then up to the screen and seeing the in-software representation of my hand perfectly aligned with where my occluded from the HMD hand was (and I now hate it when games don't get the hand angle/position/size right enough for this effect when it makes a big difference in how natural and polished it feels - so it's not about looking at it lol).

I'd hope all these APIs like OpenXR and stuff eventually make it so the software basically auto adjusts hand positions per used HMD without the devs having to do too much for that so that more and more games get it right (if they get it right on their dev platform in the first place, so it translates to the rest).

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Asgard's Wrath is getting glowing reviews, some call it the best VR game ever made.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's a bit sad how predictable the Cosmos stuff is. I posted multiple times (also on reddit) that by far my biggest concern with it is the tracking. Some people said it's not likely to be a problem since "HTC already has the best tracking [with Vive/pro]".

But that's the thing: HTC never built that tracking system, Valve did.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Asgard's Wrath is getting glowing reviews, some call it the best VR game ever made.
Really hope they're right but wouldn't be the first time I'm disappointed in something hyped. VR media seem non-gamery and easy to impress sometimes.

I'm more looking forward to Stormland, better track record from the dev and I feel it will be meatier and less reliant on just being in VR.

But I'll try Asgard's Wrath at some point.

Some of the reviews make it sound like a higher production values Journey of the Gods. The whole one-way-trip-areas deal. It was cool but not omgthebestest! It might not do to get hyped then once the VR enthusiasm wears off discover there's not too much to it. Journey of the Gods felt modest and that served it well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

And there was also this time limited location-VR RE7 experience announced by Capcom.

And this DLC teaser for VR 5 Nights @ Freddy's.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Not a new video but this guy's doing tremendous work.

Also.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Also missed this. Doesn't look too great (or too bad so it could go either way depending on systems) and seems to be for location VR arcades but we'll see.

This could be good too, coming soon, saw some new tweets by the dev.

Another thing in the "keep talking and nobody explodes" mould, neat stuff but I'll probably never get to play such things myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, Tyler is not always the best source for Valve things but sometimes it is and it looks like with HLVR is very on point. it's still a rumor but keep in mind that it's very close to what we already know (plus an ex-valve employee confirmed he's on point with this one)

• AAA VR exclusive in development for roughly 4 years intended to be a killer app to get people to buy into VR.
  • Singleplayer game where you play as Alyx Vance across a 12-16 hour story - meant as a prequel to 2.
  • Will support locomotion options because Valve is now all for locomotion.
  • The game will heavily utilize physics and includes a physical player body.
  • Runs in Source 2, is supposed to look graphically impressive.
  • Is on schedule (as far as we know) to release in 2019 with a near simultaneous reveal and launch.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Don't like streamers like that who overact and yap but damn if the game doesn't already look great and polished before the damn Kickstarter is even over.

Good to know all the promo stuff weren't faked but mostly already functional and implemented. This is one to get hyped for me thinks, so much goodness.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is coming very soon.

I don't quite get the 3rd person gimmick, I'd play the shit out of it even if it was regular FPVR. But it still looks neat.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm a sucker for Pirate games and that looks really enticing, i'll be having a look at some of their other videos.
Cheers!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Cant remember if release date was already announced, just in case, here you have it, the TRUE John Wick experience comes this November.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, that's this same trailer. I just hope aiming/shooting feels good cos they said at one point it's less about accuracy and more about the rhythm & stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mor

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So, Creative Assembly's (Total War/Alien: Isolation) next FPS might have VR support going by this clip (or they just use VR in production).

Neat game concept.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh fuck, finally someone developing emulation features I've been wanting since day 1 of VR!

So you do get to play in FPV in Holoception as well, sweet.

More Freddy.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Something fun I have come across during my playthrough of Budget Cuts: There are actually cheats for the game. If you start the game up and make sure the game window is open on your PC monitor, you can type in "God" (without the "") and the game will give you unlimited health. There are also other cheats giving you knifes, invisibility and such.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Lambda1VR has improved a ton. Hope someone does an equally good Half-Life VR mod/port for PC (this is for Quest and uses another engine, not goldsource).

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So I guess I should post this since it released but I couldn't care less about it. Regardless of the reviews (most of them will probably be fixed as they complain it doesn't work right on this or that VR kit, they'll probably patch it all soon enough, or not, they didn't even care to put a trailer on the page) it's just a retread and I don't even think BL gameplay lends itself well to VR without significant retooling of every aspect if there was ever going to be a real BLVR game.

Edit: now dodgy Gearbox itself says they "accidentally" showed Index support for the game and they don't confirm a patch is coming. What a shit show.

Various other VR games were released like Premium Bowling getting out of early access.

Spectro getting in.

Bandit Point looks semi interesting for an arena type shooter but nobody plays it.

The Deluxe version of the Exorcist which sounds like mere patch material they want people to buy all over again (or miss out on the improvements, meh).

And a bunch of others as usual. The Five Nights @ Freddy's VR DLC. Nothing of too much note.
I think. For me at least. But this end of year has been/will be (if all goes well) kind of packed anyway.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Freaking hyped, next month can't come soon enough!

To celebrate the upcoming launch, we’re also hosting mini-interviews with some of the people who helped bring this android dream to life like only VR can do. First up, Insomniac Games Principal Designer Duncan Moore!
I love the sheer immersion of it all. The promise of VR is to transport you to another world where you can lose yourself completely in role-play. This is so strong in Stormland, and there are many systems that come together to accomplish it.

Having the ability to freely explore the world—using your body to climb and traverse both feels natural and empowering. Seeing your full body animating and moving with you locks you into that character in a way many other VR games aren’t achieving. Our weapon systems and world interactions are physical and grounded in a way that feels tactile, yet isn’t too finicky—they find just the right balance between fun and realism.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Holoception's early access is live!

VR Ping Pong Pro has a release date.

The Wizards Dark Times stuff.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Thrill of the Fight just got out of early access (and got on Quest too).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sairento is not my thing but it's an old favorite for many VR users and it just got a new update that adds 2 maps and other more minor stuff.

And a couple more tidbits from Boiling Steel, Journey for Elysium and Monster Reapers.

Last edited: