Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This just came out. I'll see if I prefer it over Racket Fury which was pretty good and had decent single player content, this looks potentially more involving.

There are new videos on youtube, most of the PSVR version. It looks pretty good but no details on things like the online lag yet (or eventual player base).

The Last Labyrinth released too, they bumped it up, it said 13 hours left just a little bit ago. I hate how limited control appears but it seems to be the point.

Crazy pricing though, $40/45EUR, what the hell are they thinking. How much did they spend on the voice actor of the little girl to demand this. We'll see...

Thief Simulator VR just came out in early access. The non VR version has a fairly positive image and they seem to be doing a proper in depth port too...

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Short interview but some good insights, like in how to achieve good looking, polished, intuitive interactions that still make the player feel in full control of it.
“Much like controlling a character in a [non-VR] game, we found that the [interactions which feel best] aren’t the ones where the game literally honors the inputs one-to-one, but instead intuits what the player is trying to do and helps them do it. This is most apparent when picking things up—[Stormland doesn’t] get too picky about having [the player’s] hand close enough or the right orientation; we generally try to make the interaction work in as many circumstances as possible.”
“The best place to put your polish is where you expect players’ attention to be,” Daly says. “In many cases, this is the hand-to-world interactions. These interactions are worth the effort to make them look and sound as good as possible because of both the player’s attention on them and the frequency & regularity at which they occur. The time when it’s passable [in a VR game] to have objects blink into your hands or your hand snap between poses is behind us.”
2 days left!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Various tubers got to play this early and are now showing off. I won't be posting all of them, I just chose one at random. Anyway, one damn day left!

Edit: I'll just leave this here for reviews, who even cares about whatever random "media outlets" any more.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Reviews are coming for this too, again I'll just link this to not spam for every new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Reviews are coming for this too, again I'll just link this to not spam for every new one.
And it's out.

Still waiting for Stormland to go live on Oculus store, dammit. Edit: aaaand it's here, finally!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Quest seems to be moving software really well, the Steam and Rift versions don't have anywhere near those numbers yet. Of course it could be that Quest users are more prone to leaving reviews or that the specific game doesn't have many advantages on more powerful hardware vs Quest's untethered experience and so on. Even Beat Saber has tons more reviews on Steam than Quest so it's not going to be a rule for everything but it's still interesting to see. Any developer that's not being too ambitious with the game's visuals, physics, scale, or anything that would stop it from being ported to Quest should make a port happen.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Quest version of The Climb looks pretty good, Cryengine's scalability is ace. Trailer, can't embed:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
There's a clear graphical difference between TheClimb on PCVR and Quest. PCVR version looks really good. I wonder how manu Quest owners will just play it on Oculus Link.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Or since it looks great as it is how many will play it on Quest just to be free of the cabling. With the cable pulleys I've got I occasionally do have to feel around it if I do too many actions above my head while also moving/turning (though of course it's way better than tangling it at my feet) and this is all about climbing so...

This looks good as far as arena shooters go but going by some reviews of the non-VR version there's not too much content or progression.

The same developers also have a decently received adventure game with both VR and non VR versions:

And something unrelated. The second tweet it old but just to show what the project is since just a #screenshotsaturday does nothing for that, lol.

And more of the promising Crunch Element

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Tokyo Chronos (VR VN) sequel announced.

Vengeful Rites is progressing very nicely once again. I don't play with teleport but it's cool how they accommodate any locomotion method like that even with mechanics like noise levels for stealth, I haven't seen that before (but maybe it's been done, of course this isn't a new feature discussed in this video, it's old).

Also I forgot to write about the Until You Fall update. I only wrote that it would release on the 14th a couple days prior and then forgot to say it came out, lol.
Players can now experience the highly-anticipated finale to the Shattered Woods campaign, complete with all-new environments, mysterious encounters, and driving synthwave music. In addition to the expansive new landscapes, players will also encounter two new ferocious enemies. Joining forces with the existing Unraveled, the Empowered Captain and Empowered Spellweaver will fight to take down the land of Rokar. Brave Rune Knights can enter the Industrial Outskirts and experience their final encounter with the Aether Horror. To aid in combat, players will be able to wield the strength of two powerful new weapons, the Twin Katars. These one-of-a-kind punching daggers can be used together or separately with other weapons for a unique and customizable fighting experience.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Links with info, cable specs, currently recommended cable before the official is out, etc., inside. No AMD GPUs are currently supported mind.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Cannot wait :)
Indeed, I'm really hyped! if I already was excited about Boneworks because "hey, this reminds me to HL" imagine how I'm feeling right now about HLVR.

Reactions: ISee

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I also just love all the salty tears from people (elsewhere) who resist VR like I imagine some people resisting mice and 3D accelerators back in the day :D

Vertigo 2 seen above is being made by the Aperture Hand Lab developer who probably also got to work on Half-Life: Alyx while he was with Valve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mor

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Since Valve still doesn't officially distribute hardware here I had to look for some import shops and only found a single one with ridiculous prices. It's somewhat understandable considering they're getting their hardware by making multiple steam accounts abroad and then having to import themselves.

Converted it's almost $500 just for the knuckles. I hope Valve will finally do something for the WW availability of their hardware.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Here's something I posted in another since people are now understandably more interested in getting into VR -- fits better here. I really should update the OP at some point!

State of PC VR hardware:
  • WMR is cheap, pretty great screens for the price (especially on Samsung!), but mediocre tracking.
  • Rift S is decent if you have an "average" IPD. Unexciting but decently competent in all aspects.
  • Oculus Quest with link hasn't been out there long enough to get a good idea. In theory, if the link works well with 5m cables, it should be a good alternative and a good deal if you also get use out of the portability feature.
  • Second-hand Rift CV1 / Vive might actually not be bad if you find a decent price for it. Both have drawbacks though: CV1 needs 3 trackers connected to high-speed USB ports, and the Vive controller diverges quite significantly from everything else now out there.
  • Index is, well, the best at almost everything (except display contrast compared to OLED HMDs), and sadly very expensive.
  • Everything else (like primarily Pimax) is even more expensive and more for enthusiasts/tinkerers.
Since HL:A won't be out for a few months anyway, might as well wait for more Quest link impressions for now.

Since Valve still doesn't officially distribute hardware here I had to look for some import shops and only found a single one with ridiculous prices. It's somewhat understandable considering they're getting their hardware by making multiple steam accounts abroad and then having to import themselves.

Converted it's almost $500 just for the knuckles. I hope Valve will finally do something for the WW availability of their hardware.
Yeah, Valve really need to sort out WW distribution.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Thank you Durante and Alextended and Fantomena.
One last question: Can the Rift S be used without the Oculus Client? Just as a normal "Steam HMD"?
Because if that's the case, but Quest has to use the client to work on PC I might favor the Rift S. In other words, if Oculus stops existing next month: Which of the two headsets would be more screwed? If the question makes sense.

I'd still create an Oculus account and use the client. No problem with it, I'd just like to know which one is more bound to Oculus.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Both will need the client running at all times they're used and both will work with SteamVR, it's not a mutually exclusive situation.

The client is good and their dashboard nice even if you only use it to launch Steam games, either added as 3rd party games or just via the virtual desktop.

Vertigo 2 seen above is being made by the Aperture Hand Lab developer who probably also got to work on Half-Life: Alyx while he was with Valve.

Missed posting the new OhShape trailer last week.

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I just posted this in the Steam thread since a lot of VR discussion going on, but had been wanting to recommend it here too. If you have limited space or generally find yourself VRing in a small central spot, get some kind of mat or pad made for standing on. I really love using my standing desk mat. It's comfy and it keeps me from losing track of where I am, and as a bonus it's great for showing a new person VR since it helps keep them grounded too, and it's in perfect condition after 5+ years, but there are cheaper ones out there.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Release date for Espire 1: VR Operative finally! I'm gonna bet the delay was mostly to get it out on all platforms simultaneously rather than the claimed bugs.

Edit: I'm going to assume they forgot to add "Steam", anything else wouldn't make sense... Here's a repost of an earlier youtuber demo to remind you what it is:

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Rift S is in the mail.

Been browsing this thread a bit, in search of one-two games. Too many options.
I want something immersive, not too action oriented or fast that I can enjoy myself and use to show VR to other people. Lone echo, maybe? And something else?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
To show VR to other people show the tutorials first I think, the whole set up process you will do. They're excellent in terms of presence and do teach core aspects you'll be using throughout many games, plus free locomotion can make people sick or at the very least uncomfortable if they haven't already been used to being in VR. For actual games I'm not really sure what's best. Most I'd say are good to demo do have action but have you mostly standing in place, things like Beat Saber and maybe Pistol Whip (forward momentum might make this a no) and SUPERHOT VR, but yes Lone Echo is a hugely impressive and immersing experience, maybe Batman: Arkham VR in some ways though it's very limited and not worth the asking price, possibly the Star Wars: Vader Immortal experience trilogy, things like that. The free The Lab on Steam is probably pretty good too for that but you'll need to guide them through the process of getting to the actual mini games and stuff, probably. Also all the free content in general, Oculus has pretty cool little VR movie type experiences (but real time 3D you can look around) like Henry. Also the Mission: ISS experience is a must try. And Echo VR is free too (Lone Echo's zero gravity locomotion in a multiplayer sports game, with $10 DLC for a class based combat mode of play). Well I think you should play the games you're interested in yourself then decide what's appropriate for your target audience after that based on what they like to see and what not and how you think it's best to introduce them to VR after you experience it for yourself. Also, CONGRATS! Come back after you go through all the kinds of different game types/locomotion methods for actual game suggestions for you:D

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Rift S is in the mail.

I want something immersive, not too action oriented or fast that I can enjoy myself and use to show VR to other people. Lone echo, maybe? And something else?
Lone Echo is very puzzle-adventure oriented. Can't remember if there was any combat in it. It is however one of the best VR games Ive played. Only con is that it is short, Lone Echo 2 (2020) is apparently double the length.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
ISee WooHoo! Welcome to VR! I don't have Rift but i'd echo what people have said and go for the Tutorials/Demos first as they are usually short and sweet. I'd also recommend some form of music game, my preference is Audioshield but any one will do especially if you can play your own music or Youtube etc in it. They can be a good workout too.

Also you'll have access to a bunch of the apps on the Oculus store from National Geographic and the upcoming Machu Piccu exploration experience looks awesome. Things like Richie's Plank Game are fun, there's a NASA Apollo VR documentary that is very good and some games like Prey have added VR modes So many good experiences to get you started, VR is in a much better place than when i got my first Vive.

Gorn, Superhot VR, Skyrim VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, dunno if StarSeed The Gallery series is available but my housemate loves that game and Serious Sam and Arizona Sunshine.

Enjoy!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The National Geographic Explore VR app is actually only available for Oculus Quest at the moment. I do hope it will get ported to PC, it looks excellent. Almost every Quest software is available for Rift too but there are a couple exceptions like that and it's driving me nuts when it's exactly what I've wanted to have.

And yes The Gallery games can be acquired from Steam and played just fine with a Rift. Everything other than a few Oculus exclusives I got on Steam myself.

One of the best edu-space experiences is Mission: ISS on Oculus Store, you should try getting such things working with Revive yourself Edward, you can test it with all the great free content (again, like Echo VR) and see if you wanna actually buy one of the exclusives after that or not. Although the Vive wands don't align too well with the Oculus Touch inputs and you'll need to fiddle with that, if you upgrade to Index controllers at some point it should be almost 1:1 control wise.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It might sound silly, but for showing people VR, especially if they are not into general gaming and just want to try something, I still haven't found anything that works better for most than the Valve "The Lab" archery minigame.

Everyone from children to my 60+ year old relatives gets really into that.

(I realize that this fails both your "immersive" and "not too action oriented" requirements, but it was always such a success for quick VR demos that I still wanted to mention it)

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Alextended Thanks for the info. I keep meaning to play around with ReVive but never get around to it.
I do have Index & Knuckles with my old Vive Lighthouses so i really should see what Oculus offers now. I'll definitely look at Mission: ISS!

Reactions: Alextended

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
One thing i would avoid are most of the VR Movies on Youtube. The worst experience i had in VR was watching one of the 360/VR Yotube videos when the resolution dropped and it got laggy when walking down a spiral staircase. The experience of looking one way while walking another way and the res dropping and the response dropping was instant migraine. lol.

Be careful with Youtube VR/360 videos is what i'm saying :)

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
ISee WooHoo! Welcome to VR! I don't have Rift but i'd echo what people have said and go for the Tutorials/Demos first as they are usually short and sweet. I'd also recommend some form of music game, my preference is Audioshield but any one will do especially if you can play your own music or Youtube etc in it. They can be a good workout too.

Also you'll have access to a bunch of the apps on the Oculus store from National Geographic and the upcoming Machu Piccu exploration experience looks awesome. Things like Richie's Plank Game are fun, there's a NASA Apollo VR documentary that is very good and some games like Prey have added VR modes So many good experiences to get you started, VR is in a much better place than when i got my first Vive.

Gorn, Superhot VR, Skyrim VR, Star Trek Bridge Crew, dunno if StarSeed The Gallery series is available but my housemate loves that game and Serious Sam and Arizona Sunshine.

Enjoy!
Starseed Gallery can be bought on Oculus Store and on Steam for Rift. I own the Steam version and have no problem with it,

As long as the Steam store page says "Oculus Rift" under supported headset the game should work on Rift/Rift S. I mainly buy my VR games on Steam as long as the store page says it supports the Rift. It it does not, the game is either available only on Oculus Store for Rift (this is rare) or it will work with Rift, but will have some performance and/or controller problems.

These days, pretty much every VR game released on Steam supports Rift.

Also, new VR owners should check out Viveport. I think that the promo that gives you 2 months of free Viveport is still working. Viveport works with Rift. I know, I've tested some games there.

Viveport has games like FNAF, Arizona Sunshine, Sairento, Superhot VR, Furious Seas, Synth Riders and more.

Of course, it's a subscription service, I use it to see if I will like the game enough to buy it on Steam.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
We hope you enjoy our announcement trailer. Keep in mind all of the footage you're seeing is work in progress. Lonn is an action-adventure story based VR game set in a dystopian cyberpunk city. You play as Lonn the protagonist; a conflicted Bounty Hunter who is trying to make a living and experiences a life defining moment in which human society is under urgent threat.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
My only experience with VR was with the PlayStation and I'm surprised how much of an upgrade Rift S is.
First of all, it is a lot more comfortable and I have no problems with my glasses! Resolution, clarity, reduced screendoor effect; it's a night and day difference.
Controllers and play area is also a lot better and the rift putting me into passthrough mode when leaving the playing field is a godsend. The controllers are actually precise and do not loose tracking all of the time!
But the lower refresh rate of just 80hz is noticeable, especially when quickly turning or moving my head. Not bad, but I notice some small stutters.

And the Lab is really impressive! I just spend an hour playing that little spaceship and catapult game :oops:
I was already impressed by PSVR, but PCVR is even better (I know, who could have guessed that's the case).

If the index is as much of an upgrade over Rift S as Rift S is over PSVR. I think my next headset might be a high end one too. But for now: I'm already happy!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My only experience with VR was with the PlayStation and I'm surprised how much of an upgrade Rift S is.
First of all, it is a lot more comfortable and I have no problems with my glasses! Resolution, clarity, reduced screendoor effect; it's a night and day difference.
Controllers and play area is also a lot better and the rift putting me into passthrough mode when leaving the playing field is a godsend. The controllers are actually precise and do not loose tracking all of the time!
But the lower refresh rate of just 80hz is noticeable, especially when quickly turning or moving my head. Not bad, but I notice some small stutters.

And the Lab is really impressive! I just spend an hour playing that little spaceship and catapult game :oops:
I was already impressed by PSVR, but PCVR is even better (I know, who could have guessed that's the case).

If the index is as much of an upgrade over Rift S as Rift S is over PSVR. I think my next headset might be a high end one too. But for now: I'm already happy!
I find the best part of going from PSVR to Rift is the tracking. I really dislike the PSVR move controller tracking. I feel party of the game is fighting against controller drift (the move controllers are moving away from you).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

How the heck did you go so fast from discussing the idea of getting VR to already playing with it lol! Glad the IPD was right for you after all.

How was that First Contact tutorial eh?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
How the heck did you go so fast from discussing the idea of getting VR to already playing with it lol! Glad the IPD was right for you after all.

How was that First Contact tutorial eh?
I mean: Valve announced a Half Life game and it is exclusive to VR. I need time to learn VR and adjust, so nausea won't be a problem. I know, I should have waited for the reveal. But it's Half-Life, from Valve, in VR and a major AAA release. ¯\(ツ)
For the rest: Amazon deliveries are mostly 1 day for me. So that part was easy.

The Tutorial with the robot and the 3D printer? Pretty cool! Pulling the line on the rockets and seeing them fly away was my highlight and shooting was surprisingly accurate.
But stupid me wanted to lay down my controllers on the virtual desk in-front of me. Thank god they were tied to my wrists. I knew it's not real, but something misfired in my brain.

I find the best part of going from PSVR to Rift is the tracking. I really dislike the PSVR move controller tracking. I feel party of the game is fighting against controller drift (the move controllers are moving away from you).
My camera was also constantly loosing track of the controllers. Playing in an area was nearly impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alextended

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
The talk of National Geographic up there made me wonder, is there currently an accessible real-world scenic VR game? I've messed around with some of the Steam Home environments and they're cool, but having an actual program dedicated to it seems more ideal.

Also I really need to try and figure out a safe more-than-standing space for VRing, it feels a bit limiting with some of the games now. Curse of small apartments.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Google Earth VR maybe :p

There doesn't seem to be much sadly.

I enjoyed theBlu as a passive experience but it's not been updated in ages to fix even apparent stuff like the backward animating of jellyfish, and it has way too little content for the asking price, basically two scenes to sit through with some bonus stuff. Explore VR looks like exactly the type of thing I want and so well made, I hope it's ported to PC some time soon just like other previously Quest-only games like Vader, Shadow Point, Journey of the Gods, etc.

It looks amazing considering the Quest specs too.

Last edited:

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
Yea there's not much. Not totally surprising as using real-world photos etc. probably requires a lot of resources to sort out. HoloTour on the Windows store looks good for exactly Rome and Macchu Pichu :p

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Showed off Rift S to my brother (Oculs Demo, The Lab and Lone Echo). He ordered his own Rift S today.
Are there good Co-Op games, besides Star Trek Bride Crew?

Lone Echo is awesome. This is some truly immersive stuff. But I can't play it for longer then 30 minutes currently, which is a shame. But motion sickness starts kicking in to hard.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Stormland has co-op but I haven't tried it. It's set up so the host keeps the story progress and the joiner the gear/whatever upgrades but has to still finish the story on his own/as host to progress it on his end, something along those lines (so they don't miss out on past content just because they joined you near the end or something). It's also not a very beginner friendly game with all the freedom you have in movement. The game is very flawed, perhaps it was rushed to release when Sony bought the studio or they just had to work extra hard to actually get it to this level so there was no room/budget/time for refinement or more content which would have been great in a sequel or something but still, I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. The climbing (unlike other games where you stick on surfaces spider-man style here you can push yourself up and release the grip to launch yourself so you climb in leaps and bounds alternating each hand push) and gliding and almost-flying stuff (feels very ironman-like when you learn to hover and land better rather than always speed past your intended target area as in the beginning) is all glorious and does wonders for an otherwise normal, limited even, sci-fi FPS with some upgrade stuff thrown in.

Onward is my favorite of the "standard" VR FPS and I love it primarily for the co-op (I'm not much for PVP) but while I can't really recommend it, it's clearly early access, the AI is quite primitive, the missions have no real scenario to them, it's just PVP maps with AI scattered throughout instead of an opposing team, etc., somehow I still have a lot of fun with randoms online and keep going back for more. Hopefully they will improve things on that front but most FPS these days focus on PVP so there's no guarantee (though they did do a big AI update recently). Either way I feel it's the VR FPS with the very best mechanics for weapon and gadget handling even though others like Pavlov are more popular. To me Pavlov is kind of VR Counter-Strike, Contractors kind of VR Call of Duty (no kill streaks and upgrades and shit, just talking gameplay pace) and Onward is kind of Ghost Recon VR (the oldies, not the new open world sandbox crap).

Vox Machinae is a really really cool mech combat game that also has a co-op mode but only in a manner similar to the above, it's also PVP focused for now.

IronWolf VR is a room scale submarine simulator, you can work together to manipulate different mechanisms and deal with damage etc., it's worth a look, perhaps you will find it similar to Bridge Crew in some ways just in ancient in comparison tech (and there's also some action stuff like operating AA weapons).

Last edited: