Community What are you currently playing?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
After finishing a couple of games recently i'm now playing:

Gris - Gorgeous art, lovely music, simple to play and work out each incremental change in the platforming. The technical peeps need a shout out for making an engine to let the art shine so much. Good work.

Pikuniku - Fun, quirky platformer that gets a bit tricky at times but that might just be me playing with some beers onboard.

Azur Lane: Crosswave - Simple to play and a good podcast game as you only really need to think when upgrading your weapons.

Reactions: ISee

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Nearly (?) done with AC Syndicate. Good, very good surprise after the revolting piece of shit that was Unity.
I guess it lacks something, it's a little bland and formulaic. But bland is so much better than... check notes... revolting piece of shit.

Let's see... still need 3 main missions, 1 murder case, and two 'special' set of levels.

I really want to try Origin, but I may need something else than a UBI TOWER SIMULATOR to shake things up. We will see.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Had to roll back from the latest Nvidia driver to play Assassins Creed Origins.
The latest driver keeps freezing the game every so often, loads of people reporting it on the STEAM forums.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh fuck, maybe it's the reason behind my AC Syndicate freezing for 4-5 seconds 2-3 times each (very) long session.

Reactions: Stevey

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
When Total War: Three Kingdoms launched, it did so with an imbalance. Yuan Shao would vassalize the entire map, making it virtually impossible to expand without going to war with practically all of China simultaneously. So I abandoned that save after they patched the game, and started a new campaign with Sun Jian.

Finally wrote a review for it. Went back to it and fired up my old Cao Cao campaign with all the vassals. So I played through, very boring. Just teching up and building my economy. I might have went through 30-40 turns like this. No lie. Saved up to like 300k gold.

I was trying to race to emperor status. When I got to king, Yuan Shao finally declared war on me. Well I was ready. I mustered up epic armies and swept right through the Kingdom of Song. Because I had saved up such a mega war chest, I could take turns running at -5000 gold upkeep per turn, taking and pillaging.

Recalling armies and re-deploying them across the map is a POWERFUL strategy. Why waste 10 turns on foot when you can get where you need to be, full DOOM army, in less than 5?

I plan to finish conquering China for the second time this week. Then I can consider a Lieu Bei or Dong Zhong campaign.

Reactions: Stevey

Big McLargehuge

God Cleaver
Dec 8, 2018
Some games I finished recently:

Ori and the Will of the Wisps was a great follow up to the first game that adds more fleshed out combat and a shard system that works similarly to the charms in Hollow Knight. A very fun and emotional experience for those that enjoyed the first game, like me!

Hylics 2 is the sequel to the very strange and experimental RPG I played about a year ago. Made with Unity instead of RPG Maker like the first, it adds more gameplay variety such as platforming and a first-person dungeon crawling segment. The 3D environments and enemy combat animations breathe new life into the creator's artistic vision and it is quite a sight to behold! Despite the wonky platforming being frustrating at times, I very much enjoyed my time with this game.

Now, I'm playing through CrossCode, a story-focused action RPG that can also be called a single-player MMO. So far so good!

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I've just been playing Overwatch recently, and dabbled a bit in a variety of other games, usually less than 30 minutes. I just really wanna play HZD and nothing else right now :p

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
- Oxygen Not Included. My current colony is much better than my previous efforts, and I hope to keep my duplicants alive until they are able to fly to other asteroids. Wish me luck! :)

- Rusty Lake Roots, a very charming puzzle game with dark humor and not-too-hard-but-not-too-easy puzzles.

- I've also been playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) on my Vita. I enjoyed the first few hours, but stopped playing because of the unfair difficulty and game design in the later parts of the game. No save or health re-fill after beating a hard-as-f*ck boss is a huge d*ck move!

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
- Oxygen Not Included. My current colony is much better than my previous efforts, and I hope to keep my duplicants alive until they are able to fly to other asteroids. Wish me luck! :)

- Rusty Lake Roots, a very charming puzzle game with dark humor and not-too-hard-but-not-too-easy puzzles.

- I've also been playing Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) on my Vita. I enjoyed the first few hours, but stopped playing because of the unfair difficulty and game design in the later parts of the game. No save or health re-fill after beating a hard-as-f*ck boss is a huge d*ck move!
Good luck. I played at first beta and never touched it again. I come back and there's 100000000000000000000000 mechanics they've added. Woah.

Oxygen Not Included that is.

I'm playing Death Stranding. I like it. 8.0 so far. It's definitely a slow burn, but it's been fun. Don't play at night when you're tired and need to go to sleep tho, LOL

Reactions: Ge0force and Yoshi

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Earth's Dawn.

And while is a bit rough around the edges at times and has some difficulty spikes, when you get into the flow it's a blast. Stylistically it looks and plays like a darker and a bit more complex Vanillaware game. The progression loop is very fun and satisfying - you can craft and upgrade equipment from monster parts, every mission unlocks new passive skill(s) to equip and there are multiple weapon types and using them unlocks more combos.
The bosses also look really cool.

Also for whatever baffling reason LT and RT do not work on the controller, so you'll need to go into Steam Input and map the keyboard equivalent to them.

Reactions: Cacher

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
I've never played the Far Cry game until today. I decided to start with Far Cry 3 since it's currently 85% off.

Right from the jump, Vaas makes a really strong impression. I can already see why he's highly praised as a great villain.

Liking the game so far, but also hoping it won't devolve into classic Ubi repetition.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Far Cry 3 was at the beginning of Ubification. Maybe it just wasn't as offensive to me at that point, or maybe it hadn't got quite so bad, but I enjoyed it.

I think I only lasted a few hours on Far Cry 4, though. Horribly boring game. I think Ubisoft have got good at putting skins on top of the same game. But the same game it is.

Reactions: Yoshi and Ge0force

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I beat Underhero today. The game was fun in the beginning, but in the second half of the game it became repetitive and kinda boring. I pretty much hurried myself through the game

Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
There are only two tags I have excluded on Steam, Anime and Visual Novel.

So of course I'm playing Red Dead 2 Phoenix Wright Trilogy. It's pretty good. Thanks Tizoc
Ace Attorney is one of my favorite franchises and I can safely assure you that you are playing some of the best Visual Novels ever made. Utterly fantastic.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've finished Supraland. I liked it a lot, such a charming game with very clever puzzles and amazing game design. Some of the later puzzles were a bit too hard and/or time consuming for me (finding the green moons for example) so I used a guide a few times. Very recommended anyway!

Tonight I've started Yuppie Psycho (from the developer of Count Lucanor). I'm impressed with the storytelling so far, it's really well done!

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Final Fantasy XII. Just unlocked the second job board! Might respec a bit, but I have already decided on my team composition (I'm using "lore-friendly" job combos from this reddit post):
Ashe (Leader): Knight / Time Battlemage
Vaan: Shikari / Black Mage (also functions as my automated thief)
Penelo: White Mage / Monk
For trash-mobs I swap out Penelo with Bash: Foebreaker / Bushi, because Ashe is a good enough sub-healer.

Funnily enough I usually name my characters Ashe, so it's amusing already having a character with that name in a game, even more so since it seems like she might as well be the main character. (Vaan really doesn't give out those main character vibes after more companions join).

Anyway, fun game. I'm really enjoying it, but I also probably wouldn't enjoy it without the turbo mode - the maps are big and there are tons of trash-mobs everywhere, and you don't even really need to do anything while fighting if you set up your gambits semi decently.

Reactions: ISee and Cacher

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Just beat Mega Man 7 in the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. The second form of Dr. Wily was difficult. But after looking for strategy I finally beat him. That's first of four games in the collection to beat :)

• Love

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
How is the input lag in the Legacy Collection (PC)? I'm bad enough, I don't need more handicaps for a challenge.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Continuing on with Final Fantasy XII. Funnily enough it didn't take long until I changed my party, despite saying I found my main party.
Because I realized my setup of Ashe/Vaan/Penelo was pretty useless against flying enemies. So I swapped out Vaan and Penelo for Balthier (Machinist/Uhlan) and Fran (Archer/Red Mage) which also works surprisingly well. Balthier can also take care of the auto-stealing and Fran has access to lots of magic, both can hit flying enemies.
Ashe is still my main damage dealer, I got an Icebrand-word from one of the hunts and it's quite nice~
Speaking about Hunts, I did a few and Summons feel extremely strong? Like the previous hunt, I ended up summoning Belias and let him do his thing. And I even did a Rank 5 hunt against a big Snake that was surely much stronger than I was at this point.

Dec 5, 2018
After finishing Persona 4 I decided to play a series of short games for a change:
Ys Oath: felt like an improvement to Ark.
Disney Classic Games Aladdin and the Lion King: I'm so glad they added the rewind function.
Journey: I was nice for what it is, but nothing amazing.
Flower: I ended up liking it more than Journey.

Next I'll play MO: Astray which should also be a short game.

Reactions: Mivey

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I finished Yuppie Psycho last night. The story, characters, music and atmosphere are extremely well done. The gameplay is a combination of stealth and puzzle solving and is lots of fun most of the time.

My only complaints are that some of the puzzles could have used a few more hints (the bell puzzle for example), I had to consult a guide to figure out what to do next. The game also uses a manual checkpoint saving system with a limited amount of saves. This works very well until the last 20% of the game, where there's lots of trial&error and you'll die very frequently and unexpected. Doing large parts of the game (including dialogs) over and over again can get very frustrating.

Still, the game was a great experience for me and is very recommended!

Reactions: Mivey and Li Kao

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I'm on the tenth chapter in Final Fantasy 13. So far I find that this game doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. At around 20 hours I am finally able to change party members and it is also first time I got all playable characters together.

Also playing through the Mega Man games in the second classic Mega Man Legacy collection. Right now I'm playing the eighth game
I also have doing the challenges in the collection
So far I am having fun with the collection

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Been playing Detention recently.

It's a neat take on a sort of 2D Silent Hill game, but the really interesting element is not unlike to Red Candle's later game Devotion: the focus on the historical elements of Taiwan, specifically the White Terror period. Basically, as I understand it, before Taiwan become a far more democratic state, as it is today, it was ruled by a staunchly anti-Communist regime, hunting for "traitors" and punishing people for reading the wrong books and so forth.

The gameplay is fairly simple, and unless someone really doesn't like horror games, I would really recommend this to everybody. Great game. Shame what happened to their last game, I really hope Red Candle can keep doing its thing. It's great to get interesting Chinese developers like this on Steam.

Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Took a break from Cold Steel 1 and played Lara Croft Go for an hour. I love puzzle games. :cat-heart-blob:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm back playing Elex again, this time i'll finish it even though i suspect my save is bugged as one of the recruitable NPCs doesn't recognise me again and i may not have enough quests to do to influence her into joining my crew :(

Really like this game but i do need to finish it as i have explored EVERYWHERE and there's only the main story left to follow i think.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Started playing Rage yesterday.

I remember that this game got a fairly lukewarm reception, and some technical issues with PCs at the time, if I recall, but playing it now, it runs great. I'm playing it on my old PC, with a GTX 970, and it runs flawlessly at 60FPS @ 1080p. The shooting is fun, if a bit simple, thinking about bumping the difficulty up to hard. And the quests make for a nice progression so far. Getting better and better weapons, introducing the vehicular combat, more of the world and so on.

It's really just a linear FPS game, with some overworld attached to it, but that's ok. I am assuming people were expecting this game to blow them away, and I can see how you could get a sour taste seeing how it's really just a fairly standard shooter, with some impressive technical chops for its time, but nothing that really moves the genre forward in any way.

Looking forward to how the game keeps progressing.