News Cyberpunk 2077 - releasing December 10 , 2020

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This is probably the first open world game where I don't actively use the fast travel function. I probably have only used it once, only to see how it works. Most of the time, I just drive everywhere, or even walk up to the destination by foot. The city is so dense, so fast traveling would be a waste.
Yeah I also generally prefer driving, at least since I got the bike (cars were a bit cumbersome). I do use fast travel if the distance is more than ~2 kilometers, but that's really rare, since I'd usually elect to do something on the way to wherever I'm trying to go.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
What's crazy is as you think you are getting a handle on the side missions, you rank up in reputation and more of them pop up and people start calling you because they have heard of what you can do. My one problem with the game is that you can miss side quests.

Reactions: Swenhir and ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I wish there was a way to make your character look cool and not like a clown.
Bike riding is the way ( :cold-sweat: ) and seeing V in purple trousers with a yellow fedora... 😢

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This is probably the first open world game where I don't actively use the fast travel function. I probably have only used it once, only to see how it works. Most of the time, I just drive everywhere, or even walk up to the destination by foot. The city is so dense, so fast traveling would be a waste.
That's how I played Witcher 3 as well. Traversing the world was so interesting, the things you could see, that it felt like a waste of a good game to fast travel around.

Reactions: texhnolyze and ISee

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
That's how I played Witcher 3 as well. Traversing the world was so interesting, the things you could see, that it felt like a waste of a good game to fast travel around.
Yup, I remember doing that in Witcher 3. Besides that, RDR2 does that well too. I think generally, restricted fast travel system should be the way to go for open world games. There must be spots scattered around the world which you can only fast travel from and to. That way, players will tend to explore on their own while finding new things along the way, not simply fast traveling every chance they've got.

Reactions: ISee and Mivey

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Cue dozens of "This game doesn't respect player's time!" posts unfortunately.
I agree that setting fast travel points once you've visited a place is a good compromise as some people just can't stop themselves using an optional game mechanic even one they disagree with.

Reactions: sk2k and ISee

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yup, I remember doing that in Witcher 3. Besides that, RDR2 does that well too. I think generally, restricted fast travel system should be the way to go for open world games. There must be spots scattered around the world which you can only fast travel from and to. That way, players will tend to explore on their own while finding new things along the way, not simply fast traveling every chance they've got.
I think it's ok to have fast travel in games, for those who want it. I am just not that interested in using it myself, and I don't think you should force anyone to play in one particular way if they don't wish to.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So, for people who say choices don't matter in this game.

It's not as deep as New Vegas, and the most important choices are in the finale. But at least there are branching paths and multiple endings.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Don't know doesn't read that special to me.

You start with three different main missions: corpo, street kid, nomand.

Than there seems to be a difference in two missions during the prologue. After that you are free to pursue a couple of main missions in a looser structure until everything comes together and you make a choice, which leads to a different series of 2-3 missions with different endings. That's fine, but not an industry revolution.

Most "branching" seem to happen with side quests and which one you unlock, bot those do not seem to influence the ending.
Some of those side quests are pretty good though! More of a shame you can't see everything on one playthrough.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Yeah, that's why I said it's not as deep as New Vegas. If it was New Vegas, the 3 branching paths in act 2 won't lead to the same path at the beginning of the next act, which eventually leads to a few endings.

Anyway, I put the chart in spoilers in case people are more sensitive to it.

Reactions: ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Some speculation about the rendering of a Cyberpunk frame. Interesting read!

Clustered deferred lighting, which I believe was best explained by Tiago Sousa for DooM. I think that anyone plying this game can also tell just how much inter-frame caching and reprojection there is. They also have apparently no lightmaps whatsoever, which would make Crytek - the old one - proud. I also had no idea that the noise randomization pattern for SSAO could be improved to make the bilateral upsampling pass more effective, making it a lot less jarring than regular noise! At least if I understand correctly. That one has moved forward a lot.

The game also clearly has real-time GI, with a 64x64x64 volume without even getting into RTX, which clearly shows. Transparencies are sorted and handled really well, glass properly blurring anything behind it, be it particles or otherwise.

Give it a read if you're interested! A lot of it is not surprising but it's the sum of all its parts and that decision to have so much reprojected from one frame to the next, including specular reflections and shadows that's pretty amazing.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'm just about to finish work for christmas and i can't wait to get back in to Cyberpunk and play about with some settings and then restart with a different V. My current V is great but i want to change their hair. lol. Luckily i've only just finished the combat tutorial but that was after 3 hours.

So far, so good. Can't wait to get further into it.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Well, i fiddled with some settings and now it looks really nice and the framerate hovers around 60 with drops to around 48 in heavy scenes with pedestrians. I can see myself spending hours and hours in this game for sure. I mean, i'm 6.5 hours in and i've just gone to see the RipperDoc and i'm thinking of getting into one of the gang/NCPD firefights to build some funds before advancing the story.

I need to add some screenshots to Steam so i can post some here.

I've seen a couple of NPC Pedestrian AI pathing bugs but nothing i haven't seen in other games and nothing on the level the console players are complaining about especially the last-gen owners.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, never take a side quests for granted. There has been a few times where I think I'll do one because it looks like it will take 5-10 minutes quick diversion, and then over an hour or more later I'm still doing it because it has become some multipart big quest.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Every time I play I think I'll get over how amazing the atmosphere and visuals are, and every time I fail.

You'd think that after over 30 hours you've built up a resistance to it, and then you suddenly exit from a penthouse to an impeccably designed and lit Japanese-style roof garden and see the lights of the city through the smog far below you, and the neon above you reflected in the glass roofs. Whew.

That title card drop would be better if they hadn't spoiled the hell out of it with that CG trailer.
The secret is not looking at any pre-release media.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Every time I play I think I'll get over how amazing the atmosphere and visuals are, and every time I fail.

You'd think that after over 30 hours you've built up a resistance to it, and then you suddenly exit from a penthouse to an impeccably designed and lit Japanese-style roof garden and see the lights of the city through the smog far below you, and the neon above you reflected in the glass roofs. Whew.
Yeah! I play on console and still this is the most impressed I've been with a game.

Reactions: Prodigy and ISee

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

The secret is not looking at any pre-release media.
Did you see it coming? That game is a little predictable but the execution is just the best damn thing. That mission was just cyberpunk pure glee of a run gone wrong

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I just don't get the breaching computers hacking, I've read a guide but when I try to do it it doesn't even work like in the guide.XD
You have a few slots left. You have to do the target sequence in the correct order, with this slot constraint in mind . If you fail, there is an alarm.

Then the way it works is that you start with the first row and you pick a column. Next, you will have to pick a row in this column. Next a column in this row, etc.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I already talked about it with a friend -- I really like the hacking minigame in this actually. It doesn't take a long time, it has various levels of rewards so you can choose your own difficulty, and it represents "hacking" at least slightly better than most other attempts I've seen in games. The reason for the latter is that it actually has a planning phase and an execution phase, and that it's basically about repeated pattern recognition while keeping your resources (the slots) and the state of the system (the used-up numbers, your position, and your movement direction) in mind.

Did you see it coming? That game is a little predictable but the execution is just the best damn thing. That mission was just cyberpunk pure glee of a run gone wrong
I of course expected something to go wrong in classic Shadowrun/Cyberpunk genre fashion. I didn't expect the details though. But from the point you learn about the Relic I did expect that our character would end up with it.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Every time i press the pause button i get a notification that ive looted some uncommon crafting components (but i dont actually get them in my inventory).

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I'm still enjoying the game so far though I got my fair share of game breaking bugs that made some quests objectives unable to advance and I had to load previous saves.

The city really grew on me and I barely use the fast travel points as I prefer to drive to the objectives. Still talking about driving there are two main issues with it, the cars handling feels like it's always drifting and the mini map, it should be zoomed out when driving as being too zoomed ij makes following the gps coordinates hard.

Imo the game shines in it's world building and the quests/side-quests. It was cool listening to one of the radios and the commentator talking about a thing that I had stole from Millitech in a side-job.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Ray tracing is the next big thing. It really is stunning in this game.
It's especially promising, as Cyberpunk 2077 isn't even fully using RT for its Global Illumination, it's still very much limited from the probe lighting, with the RT trying to improve it as much as possible. The next step should be to be purely ray traced, with a fairly large amounts of bounces, say 5 or more to completely work on its own. That would create even more realistic looking light, with much higher contrasts where needed.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Camera auto centering while driving. WHY? This is horrible. It happens in first person and third person view. and no option to disable it.
Yeah i dont like that. I would prefer to be able to either disable it or give it more time before it resets.

Reactions: ISee and sk2k

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
You have a few slots left. You have to do the target sequence in the correct order, with this slot constraint in mind . If you fail, there is an alarm.

Then the way it works is that you start with the first row and you pick a column. Next, you will have to pick a row in this column. Next a column in this row, etc.
I still don't get it, you can't pick numbers that goes just in one column? Meaning one in each row but in one column.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
You have some current position on the grid (the last number you selected). You can alternatingly move vertically and horizontally from that position.

E.g. if you select the third number in the first row as your first entry, then you can select any remaining number in the third column as your second entry, and then any number in the same row as that second one as your third entry, and so on.

Reactions: ISee and Le Pertti

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I wonder if the pc fixes will just be a copy-paste of what the community have done since it addresses the exact same issues
Actually, this touches on something I wanted to remark on due to these patch notes.

This:
Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.
Is basically a polite way of saying "you imagined that editing some numbers in a file that isn't even used changed performance". Quite a few people imagined it drastically affected performance.

The person who originally wrote about it (with, among other things, the "qualification" that they know what to do with config files since they are a C# programmer; I thought that was quite amusing back then) also implied that CDPR was somehow gimping performance for not doing something so apparently obvious. And lots of people jumped on the bandwagon (just like with the SMT thread count on some Ryzen CPUs, which was first supposed to be missing optimizations due to Intel being evil, until it turned out that it's just code from a library and no Intel compiler is involved; From an AMD library, FWIW).

This is emblematic of the kind of "voodoo+outrage" approach to performance and tuning that I noticed in the gaming community many years ago -- and if anything it's getting worse (I should note that this is really not unique to gaming, I feel like the same thing applies broadly to lots of online discourse). I wish people would use incidents like these to reflect a bit about how quickly they trust random information, and particularly what level of care they expect and demand when generating and presenting performance results.

And since I feel like this kind of opinion is often misunderstood, I want to make really clear that I don't at all feel like only people who have a deep technical background should be discussing performance or even trying to discover improvements or document behaviours. However, if you aren't reasonably sure about your information you should stop short of blaming specific people, technologies or companies, and you should really try to follow best benchmarking practices and double check your results before publishing your findings.