Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Humble Brain Tickler Bundle

Heal
-
While True: Learn()
Lumines Remastered
Mars Horizon
The Signifier Director's Cut
Retro Machina

$10
Feels like it's been a while since Humble had a non-Choice bundle I am interested int. This looks very neat though..

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
You aren't alone. I'm bad with any game that handles failure mechanics like that (XCOM and it's ilk too). I just can't allow for failure even if the game has built in mechanism for it. Then again I wasn't very good at the original or it's sequels which also has kept me away. I don't know how much has changed between agent 47-blood money and 1-3 and I'm scared to bounce off them if I do try them because of those two factors
Yeah, strategy games mess with me too. My brain just isn't wired to cope with failure, it wants to prevent it outright.

gabbo Dinjoralo Hitman can be played pretty non-stealthy though. In my opinion its almost like an immersive sim in some ways, albeit a limited, more controlled one. You can acquire disguises easily and use those to gain access to forbidden areas, removing the need to sneak. In the lower difficulties, you can also be pretty loud / straigntforward with your approach. And of course, save scumming is always a legit option :D
But I'm biased, I love the Hitman games (from 2016 on, anyway. Before that, they didnt really click with me)
It's probably telling that I don't like most ImSim's either, at least the ones that get all up in your face about taking violent approaches. Deathloop and Prey were fun for me because they make murder A-OK.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Eh they haven't really done much that compares to what MS has been doing lately. The thing people probably find most annoying are the timed exclusives but if you go far enough back this was arguably started by MS with the gta IV dlc (god remember when that was considered an industry shaking event? Simpler times lol) and other games like Bioshock. As for PS having hoards of 3rd party exclusives in the ps1-2 era that was mostly by circumstance, not their own doing. They were such a runaway behemoth sales wise, and games back then were still cheap enough to survive on 1 platform, that it just happened. I liken that to so many games being steamworks. That didn't happen because valve moneyhatted people, it happened because they were the clear cut dominant force in the sector.

Acquisitions have always been around but buying entire publishers changed the whole game. Also when you look at all of sony's buyouts they are historically studios that mostly only made sony games to begin with. Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerrilla, Bluepoint, Insomniac...xbox people didn't really lose anything by those studios being acquired. MS' buyouts historically are about taking things away from others with a few exceptions like Playground and Undead Labs. I hate consolidation but if it's going to happen I prefer the route that's not really taking things from other people. The shitty thing is all this stuff MS is doing is likely going to provoke a response and you're probably going to see someone like capcom or SE gobbled up.
I agree with what you are saying. but going around to every third party for exclusive deals (timed or not) because you want to be the default third party box forever only has two outcomes: you succeed at starving the competition out, making them resort to the same tactics, or escalation happens (or outright just winning and killing competition if they can't keep up. I guess). I could argue that MS's acquisitions are already a response to these practices. The provoked response is already factored in, even the financial market gamblers agree.

But I also disagree with this idea of acquiring studios who are close partners being somehow different. The end result is still a net loss for multiplatform, consumer friendly, widely available gaming. If Microsoft had bought Epic after Gears, everyone would be 'fine' with it because it's "organic growth", "close partners" etc., and maybe Fortnite doesn't happen. or it happens under them and doesn't become the global phenomenon, or it does and it's exclusive to MS.

Now, I don't really care about Epic, but the principle is the same. You buy Insomniac, you buy ND, whomever and you are also buying away that potential. These are very talented studios, just as capable of becoming the next Epic if they strike gold with the next big thing. And people who don't own X or Y platform always lose. This has always been the case. Perpetuated, encouraged and forever chased by the incessant desire for infinite growth and profits. All of these platforms are complicit, none of them are passive observers or morally correct entities. I just don't believe it's a different kind of game now. The game is the same, it's just become more fierce.

Massive groups like Tencent, Amazon, FB, Microsoft have just accelerated the same processes that have been going on for a long time. People have a right to be upset, of course, but I just can't be arsed to pretend NOW it just got worse. It has always been shit.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I just realized SWAT can be a thing again since Activision held publishers rights to the franchise all these years. Phil sees how well Ready Or Not is doing on Steam maybe he greenlights a new entry.

Also Wolfenstein 2009 should be allowed back on sale now via Steam. Make it happen Phil.

Seriously this acquisition can bring a lot of stuff from the dead now that Activision isn't in charge. They put all their efforts on maximizing profits with COD and GaaS instead of utilizing their legacy/catalog. We should see a lot of good stuff from this. Maybe a new Warcraft/Starcraft is possible once they cleanup Blizzard.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, strategy games mess with me too. My brain just isn't wired to cope with failure, it wants to prevent it outright.

It's probably telling that I don't like most ImSim's either, at least the ones that get all up in your face about taking violent approaches. Deathloop and Prey were fun for me because they make murder A-OK.
You can get pretty violent in Hitman too. It's just that some targets are pretty well protected, and if you want to go in guns blazing, you'll need to be very clever about it. Like preparing traps or getting some good equipment on site.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Well... I replaced my PSU with one that should be better with handling power surges, and my computer is still hard-crashing. It happened when playing Wobbledogs this time, which is not a strenuous game by a long shot. At this point, it's safe to assume my new GPU may be faulty. God fucking damn it.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
You can get pretty violent in Hitman too. It's just that some targets are pretty well protected, and if you want to go in guns blazing, you'll need to be very clever about it. Like preparing traps or getting some good equipment on site.
Yup. Hitman lets you unleash all the fury you want. Its just unforgiving if theres a lot of enemies (unless you play on easy, then its a bit more lenient, but still, Agent 47 takes more or less realistic damage...unti he magically heals away the bullet wounds after a while).

Its not moralising you unless you care about the leaderboard score at the end (there a points system to unlock new weapons, suits, gadgets and entrance points, and that system is tied to efficiency, time, etc – and it will deduct points from murdering innocents, but that shouldnt stop you from just having fun with the game). They didnt put a gazillion way to kill in that game if they were punishing you for using em. I know I've done horrible things to those poor NPCs in those huge levels :p

~

Also, I've FINALLY finished Tales of Arise. Good game! Bit long. But good.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Well... I replaced my PSU with one that should be better with handling power surges, and my computer is still hard-crashing. It happened when playing Wobbledogs this time, which is not a strenuous game by a long shot. At this point, it's safe to assume my new GPU may be faulty. God fucking damn it.
Followup; I'm actually certain now that this is caused by the motherboard, because I'm pretty sure a GPU being faulty wouldn't cause my entire system to lock up. It'd screw up the display, or make it black out and crash my game.
My motherboard's had issues with memory speed in the past. My RAM's rated for 3600 MHz but trying to put it above 3200 would make my computer crash soon after login. So it's possible the GPU's extra strain means I have to knock the memory speed down another notch, and double down on getting a new motherboard and CPU when the AM5 slot drops.

This shit puts me in a foul mood that messes with my judgement.

Last edited:
  • Sad

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Check for BIOS update for the motherboard?
I feel your pain. I ended up having to buy a new motherboard a few months ago after buying two sets of RAM because i thought they were faulty but it was the motherboard. At least i'm set to get a Ryzen 5k series processor sometime soon and i'll get an AM5 system late next year when it's all settled down and i can also hopefully get a GPU to upgrade my RTX 2070 non-super but for the moment my system is good enough for me.

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Woot, new armor get. I got to the volcano map (nice that it has more underground areas than over compared to the others) and have beat a bunch of different monsters, I'm slowly doing all village quests rather than just those needed to advance and I've also wasted tons of time having fun in expeditions checking out the maps, finding messages and killing a bunch of monsters I don't even need and doing secondary missions, lol. I think I'm hooked like I was hooked on Tri. The returning maps are so awesome. The two things I didn't like the sound of when the game was announced, wyvern riding and rampage quests, aren't bad after all. I kinda like wyvern riding to smash the other monster and get a bunch of shinies. It doesn't happen all that often in a normal fight so it's not like it interrupts as many times as mounting monsters to attack them in previous games. The rampage, as I expected, is no different to previous games' gimmicky elder dragon fights with ballistas and other weapon emplacements. It's a bit more involving with all the upgrading and how it's many monsters instead of one giant one, kinda like light tower defense, but I think it can be a fun diversion inbetween grinding some monster for the gear you want in the eventual end game. The progression doesn't seem to force it too often as an urgent quest either. I was really worried but yeah, I think both systems work better than expected, riding more so.

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Check for BIOS update for the motherboard?
I feel your pain. I ended up having to buy a new motherboard a few months ago after buying two sets of RAM because i thought they were faulty but it was the motherboard. At least i'm set to get a Ryzen 5k series processor sometime soon and i'll get an AM5 system late next year when it's all settled down and i can also hopefully get a GPU to upgrade my RTX 2070 non-super but for the moment my system is good enough for me.
I've done that, I'm on the latest BIOS version that supports my CPU architecture.
I've turned the memory speed down and I will wait for a new CPU sometime late into the year, when AM5 is supposed to drop.

• Eyes

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Currently going through all the Halo games for the first time on nights I don't feel like dying in Sekiro. Finished 2 a few days ago, now at 3. It's pretty fun! Nothing complicated, just some good shooty shooty bang bang

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
pokemon arceus runs on yuzu already
I kick myself every day for updating my Switch to a point where I can't rip my carts. 😩
I honestly do. Every single time there is something I wanna play on it.

I mean, playing games on the TV/docked isn't awful. But damn, when it comes to like Xenoblade 2, and looking at what people did with Metroid... So jelly.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I just realized that Activision owns shitloads of old franchises from gaming history that are AWESOME and should come to PC storefronts (some might already be on GOG, I didn't check). Microsoft is way better at respecting history than Activision ever was, so maybe there's a chance we see some of these down the road.

• INTERSTATE 76
  • King's Quest
  • Police Quest (not a great look in the US these days, but these games were fun in the past)
  • Space Quest (hard to do joke-y games, but these were popular at the time)
  • Pitfall
  • Zork
  • Quest for Glory
  • Tenchu
  • Guitar Hero
And of course the ones everyone remembers in Tony Hawk, all the Blizzard games (Starcraft, WoW, Diablo, Overwatch), etc.

Could be some really cool remasters of true classics there. And maybe some studios get inspired to continue or remake some of these in modern style. Heck just getting the old Guitar Hero games playable on PC with new licensing would be a MAJOR achievement.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Tenchu is owned by From Software while its creator is at Acquire (remember Sekiro started as a Tenchu project so I guess they felt they don't need him at all). Although Activision keeps the old games, I wonder if a remaster or remake that changes them meaningfully (and for PC) would be within their rights or not.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I just realized that Activision owns shitloads of old franchises from gaming history that are AWESOME and should come to PC storefronts (some might already be on GOG, I didn't check). Microsoft is way better at respecting history than Activision ever was, so maybe there's a chance we see some of these down the road.

• INTERSTATE 76
  • King's Quest
  • Police Quest (not a great look in the US these days, but these games were fun in the past)
  • Pitfall
  • Zork
  • Quest for Glory
  • Tenchu
  • Guitar Hero
And of course the ones everyone remembers in Tony Hawk, all the Blizzard games (Starcraft, WoW, Diablo, Overwatch), etc.

Could be some really cool remasters of true classics there. And maybe some studios get inspired to continue or remake some of these in modern style. Heck just getting the old Guitar Hero games playable on PC with new licensing would be a MAJOR achievement.
Check this: https://www.gog.com/games?publishers=activision
Activision does have plenty of classics on GOG, theyve been there for a couple of years. But its the good old "dump em there and forget about them" tactic. From the ones you listed, GOG has Interstate, Kings Quest, Police Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Zork, Diablo and Warcraft (1+2)

Some classics like the Sierra and Infocom stuff is also on Steam, same deal. Steam Search

~

In other news, my PC stopped booting up today. Joy. No idea what could be wrong, will have to troubleshoot later. Fans turn out, then quiet down, no video output (apart from a "No Input" message on the screen that comes up).
Thankfully I have my laptop but still very annoying if anything broke.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You all got me to check on the status of NOLF and, joy, it… changes nothing. Grmbl. The ball seems to mainly be in Warner court.
And the equally shitty part was looking at Monolith contributions to gaming and what they did recently and have announced, uguu. I mean, I love comics but fuck putting the people that did NOLF, Fear and several others to do a Wonder Woman game (or two Middle Earth open worlds for that matter).

My only silver lining in this shit is that Microsoft is acknowledging they have Raven Software and that there is a minuscule chance that they can be something else than a COD sweatshop. The loss of Raven games in the AA PC field is immense.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
You all got me to check on the status of NOLF and, joy, it… changes nothing. Grmbl. The ball seems to mainly be in Warner court.
And the equally shitty part was looking at Monolith contributions to gaming and what they did recently and have announced, uguu. I mean, I love comics but fuck putting the people that did NOLF, Fear and several others to do a Wonder Woman game (or two Middle Earth open worlds for that matter).

My only silver lining in this shit is that Microsoft is acknowledging they have Raven Software and that there is a minuscule chance that they can be something else than a COD sweatshop. The loss of Raven games in the AA PC field is immense.
there was this NOLF "revival edition" that some fans/modders did...just search for "NOLF revival", its easy to find (but its technically piracy, I guess?... even though you cannot buy the games legally right now)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ohh, that... Yeah, i still have no idea.
Put on your tinfoil hat, Edward ! That's how they get you !

Mmh wait, you didn't know it is the release day of Tom Clancy Extraction ? The tactical Co-Op shooter where everything is FUCKING yellow and you can drop 20 euros to add some Red / White for when you want to gouge your eyes out after 5 minutes of everything is FUCKING yellow ?

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Put on your tinfoil hat, Edward ! That's how they get you !

Mmh wait, you didn't know it is the release day of Tom Clancy Extraction ? The tactical Co-Op shooter where everything is FUCKING yellow and you can drop 20 euros to add some Red / White for when you want to gouge your eyes out after 5 minutes of everything is FUCKING yellow ?
Correct. I had no idea at all. 100 million % forgot about it.

• This!

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
In other news, my PC stopped booting up today. Joy. No idea what could be wrong, will have to troubleshoot later. Fans turn out, then quiet down, no video output (apart from a "No Input" message on the screen that comes up).
Thankfully I have my laptop but still very annoying if anything broke.
well crap–my GPU (GTX 1070 Ti) died, apparently. Couldnt get it to run anyway, dunno whats wrong with it, nor did it show any signs it would fail soon. PC runs on internal graphics now (but it was a bit of an ordeal to get that to play nice with Xorg for some reason)
Guess I'll play more on my laptop now, eh?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I mean, it probably will be wont it. Even though its technically a year old game.
IOI is not exactly known for costumer-friendly behaviour, clear or low pricing... you'd probably better wait for a sale
but who knows? maybe they will surprise us!

~

well crap–my GPU (GTX 1070 Ti) died, apparently. Couldnt get it to run anyway, dunno whats wrong with it, nor did it show any signs it would fail soon. PC runs on internal graphics now (but it was a bit of an ordeal to get that to play nice with Xorg for some reason)
Guess I'll play more on my laptop now, eh?
I tested the internal Intel graphics with games -- well, one game so far: WOW runs like absolute garbage, 10 fps on lowest settings at a reduced resolution. So...the laptop-gaming will really be a thing, then. yay.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
How Falcom handles licensing is so dumb. I bet they have never searched their games on steam. For those who don't know, they are separate version published by NISA and Clouded Leopard.

• INTERSTATE 76
  • King's Quest
  • Pitfall
  • Zork
  • Quest for Glory
  • Tenchu
  • Guitar Hero

True Crime please!

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I tested the internal Intel graphics with games -- well, one game so far: WOW runs like absolute garbage, 10 fps on lowest settings at a reduced resolution. So...the laptop-gaming will really be a thing, then. yay.
:oofblob: but in the meantime:

Status
Not open for further replies.