Status
Not open for further replies.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Diablo 4 patch notes.
Blizzard
  • We like to nerf fun
  • But also everyone have fun we're coming to Steam

I am very confused about how I should feel right now.

"THOSE GAMES" game looks is very tempting because I can finally play those fake mobile ad games and it's cheap.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
People was saying this won't happen... Time those "experts" to backpedal. lol.
One of the few good things about Microsoft's Blizzard acquisition was this soon or later, was going to happen.
Yeah, BattleNet's existence has been antiquated for many years. Personally, they have a while to go before I feel confident enough to buy their games again. Same reason I haven't bought any recent Call of Duty games (Oldest I have is BO3 on Steam), and I haven't bought Diablo 4. For starters, I think they should go back to WC3 Reforged and pull a No Man's Sky, since the original game isn't playable anymore without resorting to unofficial means.

I'm just hoping that they plan to implement a game transfer system similar to what Bethesda did with their launcher if they plan on closing their own game client down in favor of the type of system that's already being used on consoles.

Overwatch 2 is okay, but the drama behind the scenes around PvE and the game's monetization, and the fact that the game doesn't have LAN/dedicated-server/map editor tools doesn't make me interested in playing it. I could play TF2 on community servers and have fun while the main matchmaking servers were plagued with bots for example.

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Blizzard on Steam before Tony Hawk :notlikethisblob:
Yeah, I have THPS 1+2 on EGS, and the game has stuttering problems when it attempts to connect to the game servers. Only works on the Steam Deck after a bunch of tweaking in Heroic, and after that, I have to use a third-party solution and symlinks to sync my game-save between my devices. Makes it such a pain if I want to play.

H0nestly, a lot of games that I bought on the Epic Launcher are such a pain to play, where I found it more likely to just rebuy the games during a Steam sale. Ended up doing that with Red Dead 2 (I couldn't refund it at launch despite the performance issues and troubleshooting crashing with my USB headset for 2 hours), and (in the case of the Bethesda launcher before the transfer system) Doom Eternal.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Yeah, I have THPS 1+2 on EGS, and the game has stuttering problems when it attempts to connect to the game servers. Only works on the Steam Deck after a bunch of tweaking in Heroic, and after that, I have to use a third-party solution and symlinks to sync my game-save between my devices. Makes it such a pain if I want to play.
Always online is the big reason why I haven't bought it there - Crash 4 came to Steam with always online patched out of it, so hopefully the same will eventually happen here.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
It would be pretty cool if we could migrate our games but that's probably hoping for too much. Never got around to trying Necromancer or playing Legacy of the Void, so I'd definitely double-dip D3 and SC2.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Always online is the big reason why I haven't bought it there - Crash 4 came to Steam with always online patched out of it, so hopefully the same will eventually happen here.
Yeah, the port is solid outside of the online connection stuff and Denuvo. One thing that I hope they consider doing with the Steam release is adding some SteamInput integration that can tell the game that a DualSense or other controller is being used despite emulating an Xbox controller.

I also have to use DualSenseX to simulate a DualShock 4 to get the right button prompts in the game, because otherwise it's gonna show me the numbered DirectInput prompts, and if I use a non-Steam shortcut through Heroic, the game is gonna assume it's an Xbox controller.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I'm just hoping that they plan to implement a game transfer system similar to what Bethesda did with their launcher if they plan on closing their own game client down in favor of the type of system that's already being used on consoles.
Yep, I've been saying this time to time here.
I know it's a bit difficult but one of the things I hope is that Microsoft does with both Blizzard and Activision games the same they did with the Bethesda launcher.
As much as it may not be comparable, one of the ways Microsoft would save costs is to remove the entire structure of the Battle.net launcher (beyond its account system) and unify everything first in its own PC application (XBOX) and outsource on Steam like have been doing with their games by now. Microsoft should not be interested in maintaining multiple launchers of its own, what it will end up doing is integrating them all within its own company, for which it has spent 70,000 million.
I'm ready to be honored with CoD MW2 remastered campaign on Steam : P.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Regarding the BG3 discussion, the question that came to mind was this: Assuming that Larian's process led to a bar-raising game (which we don't know for sure yet), is there anything about that process that can't be replicated by a studio of similar size and resources? What's the "secret sauce" that resulted in the game?
That's the funny thing: this is precisely what the oft-maligned Twitter thread discusses. I don't expect non-developers to intuitively understand just how much e.g. the institutional knowledge accumulated over more than a decade of building the same kind of game with the same kind of team on the same (continuously enhanced, of course) technology stack matters, but that doesn't make it any less true.

No one, either here or -- as far as I could tell -- in that Twitter thread, is saying that Larian's management isn't excellent or that their team isn't great. (Least of all me; I've been a fan since Divine Divinity and still remember trying to get people on NeoGAF to appreciate just how great -- if completely lacking in polish -- Divinity II was; Ego Draconis, not OS) The opposite, actually. Also, no one is saying that other companies (especially large RPG companies) shouldn't step up and improve to match that.

But the reality is this: even if another large company built a fantastic team, and managed them fantastically well, they still would need a decade to match that institutional knowledge, production stack and experience advantage.

This is not an excuse, it's a description of the situation -- they could have built up that type of thing over the years, big publishers have the resources for that. But the fact is that they haven't, and you can't retroactively change that.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
That's the funny thing: this is precisely what the oft-maligned Twitter thread discusses. I don't expect non-developers to intuitively understand just how much e.g. the institutional knowledge accumulated over more than a decade of building the same kind of game with the same kind of team on the same (continuously enhanced, of course) technology stack matters, but that doesn't make it any less true.
This is true in every field of human ingenuity so i'm always amazed as to why people fail to see this.
There's a reason that some companies simply prefer to buy up promising start-ups or long-running successful companies in order to enter a sector, and that's because the experience and know-how in that field is needed.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This is true in every field of human ingenuity so i'm always amazed as to why people fail to see this.
There's a reason that some companies simply prefer to buy up promising start-ups or long-running successful companies in order to enter a sector, and that's because the experience and know-how in that field is needed.
It's also one of the (many) things that make the actions of companies who drive many of their most experienced people away in the name of chasing some short-term profit completely self-destructive. Latest and dumbest example: Twitter.

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
It's also one of the (many) things that make the actions of companies who drive many of their most experienced people away in the name of chasing some short-term profit completely self-destructive. Latest and dumbest example: Twitter.
I mean obviously that depends on the parent companies, in my field and those "adjacent" to it, I usually see the opposite.
But that is also due to very specific conditions of the field and the market itself.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

No one, either here or -- as far as I could tell -- in that Twitter thread, is saying that Larian's management isn't excellent or that their team isn't great. (Least of all me; I've been a fan since Divine Divinity and still remember trying to get people on NeoGAF to appreciate just how great -- if completely lacking in polish -- Divinity II was; Ego Draconis, not OS) The opposite, actually. Also, no one is saying that other companies (especially large RPG companies) shouldn't step up and improve to match that.

But the reality is this: even if another large company built a fantastic team, and managed them fantastically well, they still would need a decade to match that institutional knowledge, production stack and experience advantage.

This is not an excuse, it's a description of the situation -- they could have built up that type of thing over the years, big publishers have the resources for that. But the fact is that they haven't, and you can't retroactively change that.
Maybe the real intention of that Twitter thread was to indirectly criticize the publisher system but the way the initial tweet was phrased gave the wrong impression. Keeping a team together for many years and developing games openly with the help of the community would vastly improve 'AAA' gaming.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I finished Mass Effect 1 Legendary edition a few days ago, and now I'm about 50% through ME2 LE. I'm kinda getting burned out on Mass Effect at the moment, so I'm trying to think about what I should play after ME2, before starting ME3...

Any good ideas? :thinking-face: Maybe a JRPG or some indie stuff...

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
It's been a while since I used GOG Galaxy, but pretty much every other launcher connect stopped working, right? Nothing is working.

(I was downloading Control UE from GOG and took a peek)

Another waste of a launcher.
Honestly, my advice is to just install Heroic to kill two birds with one stone. I personally don't need any of GOG Galaxy's extra features, and the boxart metadata gathering is extremely flawed (Which Heroic does, and there's stuff like Steam ROM Manager which pulls art from SteamGridDB). Can use Heroic to add non-Steam shortcuts for GOG and EGS games (and soon Amazon games), and launch them from Big Picture Mode, whereas the alternatives have plenty of problems (and I'd be here all day listing them). You can install it through Winget (on top of being available on it's GitHub page), and It's also faster than either EGL or GOG Galaxy from my experience.

What became a Linux and Steam Deck alternative launcher has became useful (and better than their original launchers they're replacing) even on Windows. The whole "One launcher" gimmick rarely ever works (Which is why I take a problem with the ASUS ROG Ally's software), but this solution comes very close to fixing a vast majority of the issues (especially if you don't want janky third-party drivers for a PlayStation or Switch controller). Having a dozen launchers running in the background just to launch something from GOG Galaxy/Playnite/Launchbox when a majority of launchers are Chromium webapps that hog RAM (and when game launchers already take forever to launch) just seems like a huge waste of time and system resources to me.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Blizzard games and even Baten Kaitos are coming to Steam, and yet Vanillaware is still nowhere to be seen
We do not know about Baten Kaitos yet, however, I feel they will arrive, yeah.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland

All that seems to fit an indie/new developer scenario, which admittedly was what most of the Twitter convo was about, and where I think it's perfectly valid. I don't think anyone expects Owlcat or Atom devs to suddenly make BG3-level games. It's very likely that they will never come even close to that kind of production value, and that's perfectly fine as long as they keep pricing their games right (something a lot of Japanese publishers could take a note from). My, and I assume other people's beef, was about devs from companies like Blizzard or Obsidian using the same narrative. Those are devs with decades of experience, tech and large publisher backing. If you can't hold those to the same standard as Larian, then something is very wrong with them, or even industry as a whole. AAA companies used to be the ones pushing genres and industry forward, creating classics that are beloved and talked about even decades later. Now they're known for mediocre slop that gets forgotten within months, while indies are the ones constantly coming up with new, innovative ideas, unable however to match AAA production value due to small budgets.

Customers are half to blame here since they constantly foam their mouths about the latest cinematic on-rails "experience" that brings absolutely nothing new to the industry aside from light bouncing off from Lara's Croft breasts or whatever other graphical gimmick they decided to push in order to excuse bad optimization, and will happily pay $70 for a slop like that. Those type of games started in the early X360/PS3 era and didn't evolve at all beyond visual presentation. Some might've gone open world since that's the trend nowadays, but they don't utilize said open world in any meaningful way, using it more as a background scenery for scripted missions to happen.

Obsidian will never be more than a wannabe Bethesda and Larian because their owners are complete morons, and they lost the vast majority of writers, while being a studio that was only ever really known for good writing (and environmental storytelling in case of F:NV). Sawyer should demand MS to boot Feargus and Parker instead of coming up with some cope excuses about why Larian is constantly successful with state of the art, innovative RPGs while the only good games his studio makes are B-tier Game Pass fodder in other genres (not that it's a bad thing per se, but those are clearly not games the studio wants to be known for first and foremost).

Status
Not open for further replies.