Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Oh I might have backed this on KS.
My key email ended up in spam despite me reading all their KS emails without issue. Excited for this even though I haven't finished Fell Seal (which is alright, but it's combat always feels like a slog)

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The big AAA PS5 exclusive extravaganza Ratchet opens to 8700 concurrent peak players on PC.

Super weak and super expected. I just don't think there is huge PC audience for games like this, or Sack Boy or whatever that was.

Meanwhile even AA game like JA3 has 25K.

I hope Sony will bring over well ported Tsushima, TLOU2 and Demon Souls, those should do much better numbers. And I happen to want them much more :)

Although I would also love to see racing masterpiece Driveclub on PC, 4K 60 would be so amazing in that. And Order 1886 deserves second chance.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
The big AAA PS5 exclusive extravaganza Ratchet opens to 8700 concurrent peak players on PC.

Super weak and super expected. I just don't think there is huge PC audience for games like this, or Sack Boy or whatever that was.

I hope Sony will bring over well ported Tsushima, TLOU2 and Demon Souls, those should do much better numbers. And I happen to want them much more :)

Although I would also love to see racing masterpiece Driveclub on PC, 4K 60 would be so amazing in that. And Order 1886 deserves second chance.
Yeah pricing on games like Sackboy and Rachet and Clank are way too high for old ports. They can probably get away with $60 for Ghosts or Demon Souls but not games like Ratchet.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
And it looks like that Ratchet is another Sony game that kinda underperformed. Almost 9K concurrent players. For the love of God Sony there are indie games that crush these numbers like nothing. I know that they said that they are satisfied with their PC sales but they are leaving so much money on the table with current release policy.

Reactions: Lashley and yuraya

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
And it looks like that Ratchet is another Sony game that kinda underperformed. Almost 9K concurrent players. For the love of God Sony there are indie games that crush these numbers like nothing. I know that they said that they are satisfied with their PC sales but they are leaving so much money on the table with current release policy.
I mean it's not THAT bad, ratchet is a smaller franchise and it did close numbers to Uncharted and FF7R on Steam. Not every Sony IP can do God of War and Spiderman numbers.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

I don't know why they are in some hurry to dump a game and make a quick buck on it. The smart thing to do was to bundle all the old Sackboy and Ratchet games. Sell proper collections to PC gamers first and then later release these newer full priced titles. They don't understand how to capitalize correctly with their brands. I know Jim Ryan dissed old games for the way they looked not that long ago but they need to show more respect for these franchises. Steam is a platform for so many games spanning so many decades. They need to port their legacy over and build hype first. Otherwise its a wasted opportunity for just about everything except for the really popular brands.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I mean it's not THAT bad, ratchet is a smaller franchise and it did close numbers to Uncharted and FF7R on Steam. Not every Sony IP can do God of War and Spiderman numbers.
It is bad when you look entire picture. Spider-Man should be game that reaches 500K concurrent players without any issues. Uncharted and TLoU should be well above 200K at least. Ratchet should be at least 50K if not more. Those are numbers that these Sony blockbuster games should have. But late releases, high prices and lately bad ports just do more damage than good.

I don't know why they are in some hurry to dump a game and make a quick buck on it. The smart thing to do was to bundle all the old Sackboy and Ratchet games. Sell proper collections to PC gamers first and then later release these newer full priced titles. They don't understand how to capitalize correctly with their brands. I know Jim Ryan dissed old games for the way they looked not that long ago but they need to show more respect for these franchises. Steam is a platform for so many games spanning so many decades. They need to port their legacy over and build hype first. Otherwise its a wasted opportunity for just about everything except for the really popular brands.
They need to build their audience. You don't do that with releasing just 4th game in the series or technically second in the case of Ratchet. And for all their games 2 or more years late ports with high prices also don't build audience that well. Every single company that were releasing late PC ports stopped doing that for a reason. Sony really needs to take their head out of their ass and realize once and for all that number of people they would lose with day 1 PC release is minor for what they would gain.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It is bad when you look entire picture. Spider-Man should be game that reaches 500K concurrent players without any issues. Uncharted and TLoU should be well above 200K at least. Ratchet should be at least 50K if not more. Those are numbers that these Sony blockbuster games should have. But late releases, high prices and lately bad ports just do more damage than good.
I'm sorry but what the hell are you smoking?
You really think people are buying at full price and years after the initial release just because they are sony games? Speaking from personal experience, the PC market for console games isn't as big as you might think.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Sure, Sony games would do better if they were day one on Steam. Makes sense.
But consider that not everything is as popular on PC as it is on consoles, and also... that a good chunk of Sony games are not really doing amazing numbers.

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls will do well on Steam. But we're talking games that sold 2M+ on Playstation. They are not niche, but they sure are faaaar from the 30M+ sellers, or even 10M+ ones - and here they can expect to do much better than usual as Souls games are massive on PC.

But Ratchet? It sold 1.1M on PS5.
Less than Dave the Diver did this year.

The best selling games in the franchise barely scrape 3M over the years, and that was all the way back in the PS2 era. Good sales of course, but expecting the most recent one to reach 50k CCU - so hundreds of thousands of sales in the first day? That seems immensely unlikely, even in the best case scenario.
And that's without talking about Returnal or Sackboy, ain't no way those were going to sell very well, it's not like they did well on PS5.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
As someone who just really fucking loves plattformers, games like Mario, Sackboy, Ratchet, I even play the mediocre platform games because I found them a lot of fun, I have yet to buy Sackboy due to the high price and will wait for a sale on Ratchet. If they were day 1 on PC, I would buy them day 1.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
They don't feel that way though. They view day 1 releases as harmful to not only console sales but the overall hype of the game. People don't want to admit this but the "exclusive" factor works on a lot of people and not just casuals it works in the media and enthusiast circles too. It has amplified so many games over the years that frankly didn't deserve it and puts a bigger spotlight on them. This isn't a knock on ratchet specifically I actually really like the series I'm just talking in a broader sense.

They view PC sales as free money for games that have ran their course on console. And I don't think ratchet going from 9k to maybe 30k tops if it was a day 1 release is worth the risks that I mentioned above to them.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The usual suspects on here would say Rift Apart is a failure even if it had 100k CCU because another Sony game would likely do better.

They just wanted Sony to port a game they wanted to play and any number CCU would be twisted to fit their narrative. The numbers for Rift Apart are fine, and it's going to continue to sell fine, given it's a late port of a PS5 game that wasn't a 10m blockbuster on its original platform.

The same people calling Rift Apart a failure for getting 9K concurrent only a few months ago said it'd do as bad as Sackboy, which was an actual failure on PC at about 600. Yes, I'm not missing a digit there.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
the PC market for console games isn't as big as you might think
This is the correct take. I'd hazard a guess that there's very little overlap in the demographics.

Dave the Diver, as Line said, sold a crap ton because it's a quintessential PC game. Games like those don't tend to do well on consoles unless there's massive platform holder marketing push or maybe if it were on Gamepass. Same with Halls Of Torment.

Reminds me of a very stupid podcast I was listening the other day with a Xbox fanboy trying to make it look like Vampire Survivors got the fame it has from Gamepass, lol.\

And 10k for Ratchet seems fine given that it's a full priced game, released 2 years later, from a franchise not many people are familiar with.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
There was a lot of hype for Spider-Man in 2018 when it released. I could see it push 500k concurrent if it came to Steam day 1 but not 4 years later and at full price. Still the game did really well currently sitting at 70k user reviews.

Linear singleplayer games like TLOU and Uncharted won't do well on PC regardless so hard to tell how well those would even do if they were day n date.

There just isn't many devs who can release a 3-4 year old game on Steam and do good #s. Maybe Rockstar but I don't even see RDR2 pushing 500k user reviews on Steam if it was 4 years late. Even GTAV wouldn't have blown up all that much if it was 4 years late tho GTA online is an outlier.

Anything more than 12 month delay is not taking PC seriously and throwing money away imo. Even 12 is pushing it with how marketing and hype cycles work these days. Everything gets old and becomes old news fast. Once a certain window is gone for a game its gone forever. You need a real cult following to breakthrough those windows and Playstation doesn't really have that imo.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Bloodborne and Demon's Souls will do well on Steam. But we're talking games that sold 2M+ on Playstation. They are not niche, but they sure are faaaar from the 30M+ sellers, or even 10M+ ones - and here they can expect to do much better than usual as Souls games are massive on PC.
BB and Demon's might do well (underlined because I still have a lot of doubts they will happen) because of From's branding not Sony.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
They don't feel that way though. They view day 1 releases as harmful to not only console sales but the overall hype of the game. People don't want to admit this but the "exclusive" factor works on a lot of people and not just casuals it works in the media and enthusiast circles too. It has amplified so many games over the years that frankly didn't deserve it and puts a bigger spotlight on them. This isn't a knock on ratchet specifically I actually really like the series I'm just talking in a broader sense.

They view PC sales as free money for games that have ran their course on console. And I don't think ratchet going from 9k to maybe 30k tops if it was a day 1 release is worth the risks that I mentioned above to them.
I think this is a reasonable point.

That said, their PC strategy is also a hedging one. Console is doing okay now, but tech moves so fast that you need to be ready to adapt to a shifting landscape and be ready to completely realign your business if needed.

PC development puts Sony in a good place to move to cloud, or shift to third party if their console business goes belly up. No harm in preparing for it, even if people think that's unlikely right now.

I mean, people also thought Nintendo were unstoppable after the Wii and DS, and then they spent more than half a decade in the wilderness thanks to the Wii U.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Obviously Sony don't mind since they keep doing it, but full priced games 2 years later at a minimum does nothing for me
I think this is the real issue. If these games were $40 tops they'd probably maximize the potential a late port has.

But this is the same sony that's charging $600 for a spiderman bundle just because it's spiderman and they think they can get away with it. Whereas the ps4 pro spiderman bundle was the same price as regular pro consoles and it came with the game + the specially designed console and controller.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Different leadership at PlayStation then versus now.

We’ve always known Jim Ryan is a prick. There isn’t a universe where he runs PlayStation and they don’t push their luck by squeezing their customers.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I do wonder what kind of CCU Spider-Man 2 would get if it came to PC with a quality port same day as the console release. I imagine it would be pretty high.

Reactions: lashman

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I do wonder what kind of CCU Spider-Man 2 would get if it came to PC with a quality port same day as the console release. I imagine it would be pretty high.
I think it depends on how good Spidey 2 ends up being. But my guess would be a little less than Spidey remaster. Like 40k (Yes I just pulled that number out of my ass lmao)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Doesnt help that Sony jacked their regional pricing in several regions before Ratchet was announced. This is the first port to launch at their new prices.

• This!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
just one more purchase

this just released right now. Was released this july 6th on Switch and finally got Steam release after three weeks, looks interesting.
It looks like the late release may be due to some changes that they did for the game.

The biggest difference between the PC version and the Switch version is that blood is purple on Switch and Red on PC

Reactions: Censored

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance coming to PC

I think they're going to sell for $7 each. Coming November 9th.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
You really think people are buying at full price and years after the initial release just because they are sony games? Speaking from personal experience, the PC market for console games isn't as big as you might think.
In my opinion, although it is true that certain game genres sell better on specific platforms, the PC userbase these days is wide enough that any game can find a big audience. You are right that late releases at full price put a hard cap on Sony's ports sales performance. In my opinion again, if Sony wants big day-one sales they will have to shrink the release gap down to six months to a year.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I wonder if the issue with some Ratchet textures seemingly not loading could be related to texture bias thing with DLSS. I recall Horizon had a few objects here and there where that issue occurred, they fixed most of them but I think there are still some vegetation textures that suffers from it. Though I'm certainly not an expert, I just recall reading and seeing some stuff about it. Alex will likely test that anyway in his more in-depth video.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Following the advice on the site next door, I enabled SSH on Deck for file transfer.
Kinda perfect.

Not sold on the UI of WinSCP, but I lost hope for the homebrew community to design something that doesn't lose you immediately on launch. This is Total Commander, I use Total Commander daily, and I'm still lost.
But it does the job something fierce.
I now only have to put the deck out of sleep mode, double click a custom shortcut, and bam, transfer ready.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
If they were day 1 release they would probably reach thise numbers. But as late ports they don't have a chance. And what does console games mean? Elden Ring is console game, Fallout 4 is console game, Dying Light is console game. I would actually say that vast majority of multiplatform releases are console games with PC port these days. So I don't get your comment about PC market and console games.

I said that they don't want to do day 1 releases because they think that it would do them harm. But can we look which games are bringing them the most money? It's not exclusives or 1st party games. It's 3rd party games. FIFA, Fortnite and CoD are bringing them so much money without them doing nothing. He'll they even profit on thise games by forcing people to buy PS+ to play them online. More people are buying consoles to play FIFA and CoD than to play Ratchet, GoW or Horizon. I would say that 1st party games are just cherry on top to bring smaler part of users who really want to play those exclusives.

The usual suspects on here would say Rift Apart is a failure even if it had 100k CCU because another Sony game would likely do better.

They just wanted Sony to port a game they wanted to play and any number CCU would be twisted to fit their narrative. The numbers for Rift Apart are fine, and it's going to continue to sell fine, given it's a late port of a PS5 game that wasn't a 10m blockbuster on its original platform.

The same people calling Rift Apart a failure for getting 9K concurrent only a few months ago said it'd do as bad as Sackboy, which was an actual failure on PC at about 600. Yes, I'm not missing a digit there.
I still stand by my comments that none of the Sony releases reached potential that those IPs have and that numbers they are getting are low.

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and C-Dub

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah i'm enjoying these Sony ports but the price of them definitely puts me off getting them at their PC release. They seem to go on sale fairly quickly and so I've waited this long, what's another 6 months.

I do think i'd pick up Demons Souls / Bloodborne on day 1 but anything else will be wait for sale.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Following the advice on the site next door, I enabled SSH on Deck for file transfer.
Kinda perfect.

Not sold on the UI of WinSCP, but I lost hope for the homebrew community to design something that doesn't lose you immediately on launch. This is Total Commander, I use Total Commander daily, and I'm still lost.
But it does the job something fierce.
I now only have to put the deck out of sleep mode, double click a custom shortcut, and bam, transfer ready.
There's a SSH plugin for Total Commander too (well, sFTP, same difference), FWIW.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Acidote

Omega Yul
Jun 16, 2019
My PC is currently too underpowered for PS5 ports so I'm just being patient and I'll grab them later on for the cheap.

Super Double Dragon and Double Dragon Advance coming to PC

I think they're going to sell for $7 each. Coming November 9th.
Ill probably get these for the ease of use for Summer night gaming parties.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
There's a SSH plugin for Total Commander too (well, sFTP, same difference), FWIW.
I looked a long moment into it, as I suspected it was the case, but I have no idea how to set it up. And as I'm an idiot, the fact that SSH wasn't exactly mentioned made me go WinSCP.
I should look again, would be ideal. I mean, I live with Total Commander :p

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Jesus christ FF16’s combat suuuuuuucks

it’s serviceable enough in isolation but over the course of a ~35hr game noooo
Bluntly it’s just far too simple and every encounter is handled the same way

I’m about 20hrs or so in now and it is such a f*cking chore now

And it’s a big shame cos I have been enjoying the story and still want to finish it but I’m astounded this game has enjoyed the review scores that it has

(fwiw, my experience with the FF series is fairly limited if that makes any difference, this is only my 3rd FF game after 8 (which I played as a kid and didn’t really get) and 15)
The "joy" of action combat.
Flashy clicky-button spam that is exhausting within a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.