Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Slight OT, but Chris Avellone had the sex abuse false accusations against him withdrawn by the accusers:

I did look into this when the various court documents were made public, as well as the information released by Jeff Johnson, and was 100% convinced the accusations were made up, so it is gratifying to finally see them admit as such.

Still, I wonder if he will ever get hired by a larger studio again.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Slight OT, but Chris Avellone had the sex abuse false accusations against him withdrawn by the accusers:

I did look into this when the various court documents were made public, as well as the information released by Jeff Johnson, and was 100% convinced the accusations were made up, so it is gratifying to finally see them admit as such.

Yeah, I saw this on Era yesterday.

He still trash talked Obsidian and many of his former co-workers, sent sex pest texts to a woman he knew was in a relationship, and spent a lot of time on the alt-right/Nazi cesspool that is RPGCodex.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain

The accusations are so false that he is going to pay seven figures to settle it. Go figure. This is getting ridiculous, where are you coming from?
:shrugblob:

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
To my understing the accusers are paying that 7 figures sum (which includes legal fees)
I won't edit my post, I apologise I understood it the other way but in any case after all that surrounded this guy how can you really defend him? That attitude really gets on my nerves...

• Disapproval
Reactions: Durante

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Just finished RE4R, amazing game, but they remove most of the campiness of the original, and I'm kinda torn about it.

I was really excited to see the slomo rocket at the end, but it was not there.

Overall it is a better game then the original, but I love the og more.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Just finished RE4R, amazing game, but they remove most of the campiness of the original, and I'm kinda torn about it.

I'm near the end as well (played RE4 2023 all weekend) and I have to agree. Not that this new game is afraid to get cheesy (the part where
Leon sees a wooden wall getting chainsawed, then decides to randomly backflip off of it in slow motion to avoid getting hit instead of just stepping backwards like a sane person would
had me rolling, and the bad one liners are still very much present), the OG RE4 was almost Adam West Batman in how firmly its tongue was stuck in its cheek.

Still, this new RE4 remains an outstanding game IMO, and I didnt regret the 40 bucks i spent on it. Looking forward to future replays with character mods!

Reactions: LEANIJA

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The accusations are so false that he is going to pay seven figures to settle it. Go figure. This is getting ridiculous, where are you coming from?
Yes, they are so false that rather than risk going to trial, the accusers decided to settle, retract their false accusations and pay Avellone damages (you misunderstood, he is not paying them). Seriously, if you read the information made public, you will come to the same conclusion as me.
And where I am coming from? I hate injustice, being falsely accused and having your livelihood destroyed should make anyone glad when the truth comes out.

He still trash talked Obsidian and many of his former co-workers, sent sex pest texts to a woman he knew was in a relationship, and spent a lot of time on the alt-right/Nazi cesspool that is RPGCodex.
As far as I know he didn't really trash talk Obsidian per se, but specifically Feargues Urqhart and Chris Parker. Maybe he had good reasons to do so, maybe not, either way, it was obviously unprofessional. But does that mean he deserves to have his livelihood destroyed via false allegations? I don't think so.

Regarding the "sex pest text", afaik that woman was in something akin to open relationship and regardless, he apologized almost immediately. Again, not a reason to destroy him.

RPGcodex is a forum with very little moderation, which means there are people of all kinds, from nazis to liberals to communists to vatniks. But there are lot of good RPG focused discussions as long as you stay away from political threads and ignore idiots.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
impatiently waiting for kingdom hearts
come on square pls
you don't even have to discount them I will pay full price for the entire series on steam in one lump purchase if you do it

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

I imagine his name is tarnished forever as we're in an age where no one wants to admit they were wrong on the internet or reacted too hastily. I mean you can check the era thread on it, everyone in those first 10 or so pages who were so quick to call for his head are missing since the update. He will be thought of as a guy who did "something wrong" by these people if his name does pop up in the future. Even if you point this story to them they will say something vague like "weren't there other things he did?" just to keep the image going that he did SOMETHING bad, even if we collectively can't remember what that was.

It's very hard to shake that branding off once people have decided. For example I've seen people do that a lot with the youtuber yongyea. People were convinced he's a gamergater because "idk I kinda remember something like that coming up before" but when asked for proof they could never provide it. I'm no fan of the guy personally but if you're not crystal clear someone is that kind of person then shut up and stop spreading nonsense.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hubby and I beat Returnal yesterday. It was just ok. Co-op mode needs a LOT of dev attention, but i reckon it won't get it. The story was super lacking, and so so predictable as it went on. By the 4th Biome's datapads my hubby had already called the ending and we kinda just laughed our way to the finish.

I felt bad that we spent $120 on two copies, but he said the journey was fun at least when it wasn't crashing or bending us over with bugs.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

I just finished it and loved every second of it. The OG RE4 is my favorite game of all time, and I can easily say Capcom nailed this remake, they clearly know what made the original so special, and modernized it in a significant way. Ashley and Luis are way better characters in this remake. Remake Leon is still a cornball and a one-liner machine, so for me is hard to pick between the 2 of them lol. I will love (and play) the OG version more but for mainly subjective reasons, since I have memories and huge nostalgia attached to that game, but I'm extremely happy with how they handled this remake.

That being said a big omission I missed was mainly that U3 boss fight in the island, I know a lot of people didn't like that boss, but they could have improved it just like they did with the Salazar fight, hopefully U3 makes a return in the Separate Ways campaign (if they want to release that campaign as DLC later, which they 100% should). They also omitted all the comms calls with the baddies (salazar and saddler mainly) which could be considered a nitpick on my part, but I think they were important (cheesy but important) and built character and the interactions with Leon a little bit more. Without the comms calls, Salazar and Saddler feel like they got really small screen time (like 4 cutscenes at most).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You don’t ostracize a person because they are a jerk. It is unfortunate that once a clear justice decision has been made, good intentioned people can’t recognize that in this particular case, like him or not, Avellone is the victim.
Now, if there are other serious allegations, I hope justice will prevail, in one way or the other.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I imagine his name is tarnished forever as we're in an age where no one wants to admit they were wrong on the internet or reacted too hastily. I mean you can check the era thread on it, everyone in those first 10 or so pages who were so quick to call for his head are missing since the update. He will be thought of as a guy who did "something wrong" by these people if his name does pop up in the future. Even if you point this story to them they will say something vague like "weren't there other things he did?" just to keep the image going that he did SOMETHING bad, even if we collectively can't remember what that was.
Yeah his reputation is ruined and this bullshit will be a dark cloud hanging over him whenever he's trying to get a new job. A reputation that was built over a career of 25 years got destroyed in a moment by malicious accusations. That's actually insane. I hope the people at Techland who fired him from Dying Light 2 feel really fucking stupid right now given what we know and how shit their game turned out to be. I also remember Paradox removed him from Bloodlines 2 but that's the least of the problems that project has run into. What a complete waste.

EDIT: And you're spot on about how some people will still try to insinuate that he's a bad person on other vague things. Like how "He must be a bad person for posting on a forum which has people I don't like". Surely a Resetera user can see the irony in that statement given the reputation that forum has in the wider gaming community. RPGCodex is a far better place to discuss RPGs and specifically the kind of games Avellone makes than Resetera will ever be.

Last edited:

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
It's only 10am and we've already peaked with someone talking about reading Stormfront

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
The games can get really, really repetitive indeed.
But you don't need to get that deep into the gameplay loop, they are a fun dark fantasy adventure too, with some cool loot along the way, which Diablo 4 seems to nail quite well.
In my opinion, they have to tweak the loot. I reached level 25 and I was showered with rare and legendary items. They drop so often that I do not feel even slightly excited when I pick them up. Diablo 3 was also terrible in this aspect, Diablo 2 fared a lot better.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Yeah his reputation is ruined and this bullshit will be a dark cloud hanging over him whenever he's trying to get a new job. A reputation that was built over a career of 25 years got destroyed in a moment by malicious accusations. That's actually insane. I hope the people at Techland who fired him from Dying Light 2 feel really fucking stupid right now given what we know and how shit their game turned out to be. I also remember Paradox removed him from Bloodlines 2 but that's the least of the problems that project has run into. What a complete waste.

EDIT: And you're spot on about how some people will still try to insinuate that he's a bad person on other vague things. Like how "He must be a bad person for posting on a forum which has people I don't like". Surely a Resetera user can see the irony in that statement given the reputation that forum has in the wider gaming community. RPGCodex is a far better place to discuss RPGs and specifically the kind of games Avellone makes than Resetera will ever be.
maybe he can make a small indie game studio and work on things he wanted to do.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I almost never replay games but I'm temped to go back to Resi 4 (2005).
Since RE4make has atrocious regional pricing here.

That still doesn't say its false, just that they have been retracted.
I wonder if it was really false, would the internet make better of it back when they all jump on it? People will do everything to get bad elements out, will they be equally willing to pick someone to become better?
Since only 2-3 major outlets have covered it, that says it all.

(sorry I avoid such "news" but this one stuck out odd to me).

Last edited:

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I wonder if it was really false, would the internet make better of it back when they all jump on it? People will do everything to get bad elements out, will they be equally willing to pick someone to become better?
Since only 2-3 major outlets have covered it, that says it all.

(sorry I avoid such "news" but this one stuck out odd to me).

IIRC these weren't the only allegations against him so maybe they are waiting to see how the rest goes

Reactions: lashman

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Yeah the knocks for him posting on rpg codex is weird because a bunch of old school rpg devs have posted on there at some point. Josh Sawyer has and has given them interviews too, but you don't see them witch hunting him for it (nor should they, leave josh alone). It only becomes problematic when they don't like someone and are looking for any reason to hate on them, and the reverse is true too when people like someone they purposely overlook some things. In this case the SAME thing.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I watched a bit of this last night and I just keep thinking Decentralland is extremely equivalent to Active Worlds / Alpha Worlds in 1998. Like down to the architecture of the buildings and basic shapes you work with and the visual aspect! Everyone built structures just like that. It was a game where you had to pay a 1 time fee to build anywhere in various huge HUGE open worlds, and once you built something you just owned that property / area.

Even the load distance was very similar but that was on bad dial up and fit in 8MB RAM.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
As far as I recall there were more than just those two accusers towards Avellone, he only sued 2 of them.

For reasons.

Not to comment on who speaks the truth now or before, how could I know, but acting like a confidential out of court settlement is some kind of proof of anything is a bit strange.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

NVidia spent years profiting off the crypto tulip mania and pumped up GPU prices to insane levels. Now they act like they don't want anything to do with it. :shrugblob:

I wish he had spent more time criticizing the metaverse as a whole instead of focusing primarily on Decentraland, but it was a good video overall. The one thing I took away from it was techbros insisting the metaverse is inevitable for some reason. Apparently the progress of technology means we will all spend our leisure time in one virtual world because some scifi books used it as a narrative device.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I don't think they would have retracted and agreed to pay damages if they had truth on their side. They would just go to trial. They had pro-bono lawyers, too. Who likely advised them to retract and settle.

In the court documents, there were a lot of various messages that have shown comprehensively that the allegations were extremely likely made up. Now, I read those years ago so I do not have links at hand (they were some government/court websites).
There is this article from someone who had first hand experience with the accuser though:

As far as I recall there were more than just those two accusers towards Avellone, he only sued 2 of them.
I don't remember any more accusers besides the two who retracted it and the woman who received a drunk sex text from Avellone (for which he immediately apologized), can you be more specific?

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I don't remember any more accusers besides the two who retracted it and the woman who received a drunk sex text from Avellone (for which he immediately apologized), can you be more specific?
4 was the number in the initial bloomberg article at the time.
No idea if that stayed the same later.

Status
Not open for further replies.