Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Ehh, I'd never consider any of the DQ games an amazing looking game, unlike Chrono, which is one of the most beautiful 16-bit games.
And Chrono is fairly short and to the point. As far as a JRPG can be.
But Chrono looks pretty much the same as the late SNES DQ games (6 and 3R).
Delete this cursed page.
Well, at least nobody mentioned any Persona games yet.

Reactions: QFNS

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I feel like I kicked the hornets nest with my Trails impression. Being completely honest and transparent, I'm not a fan of jrpg, or japanese games in general but I decided to try that game because of how well I've seen people speak of it in gaf/era.

And btw, RTwP is great, the same way turn-based is great. It's a mean of delivery it shouldn't be what defines the game, so it's completely dependent on what/where it's being used on. Fallout wouldn't work with RTwP the same way Neverwinter Nights wouldn't work with TB.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Some great, if not popular, Visual Novel suggestions have already been posted. I'll add a few smaller favorites of mine:

Thanks! Always looking to add more to my wishlist.

launched last week
Is this Frog Fractions 3?

Well, at least nobody mentioned any Persona games yet.
🔥 The lack of saving in Persona dungeons is bad and its battle system is boring compared to Megaten proper >:O 🔥

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Daughters of Ash has been released for Dark Souls: Remastered, it was initially only available for the old Prepare to Die Edition.

Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is an enormous fan-made overhaul of Dark Souls: Remastered on PC. It changes a great deal of the game's content, restores some cut content, and adds many new events and encounters. Its core aim is to replicate the feeling of playing Dark Souls for the first time. Expect to encounter:

New game progression
Forget what you know about exploring Lordran. New world-changing events, key items, and unexpected pathways await you.
New bosses and enemies
Triumph in new boss battles, most of which are designed to promote novel gameplay rather than sheer increased difficulty. Encounter new enemies on your journey – including enemies restored from cut content – and watch many old bosses and enemies behave in new ways.
New NPCs and storylines
Meet new characters with new stories, which will intersect in numerous unpredictable ways as your journey continues.
New weapons, items, and mechanics
Discover new weapons with brand new abilities, items with new effects, and sacred pacts that can change the way you play the entire game.
Expanded lore
Learn more about Lordran's past from new item descriptions and gameplay events (new content is written to build upon the lore of the original game where possible, rather than directly conflict with it, but of course, this is my own version of the Dark Souls canon).
New secrets
Don't expect to unveil all of the game's hidden content in a single play-through.

Daughters of Ash contains no new game assets (e.g. character models, map assets, recordings, visual effects) but accomplishes a great deal by modifying the game's event scripts, placement data, and entity logic. It was originally created with more than one thousand hours of work throughout 2017 and 2018 by one very masochistic programmer, then ported by that same lunatic to Dark Souls: Remastered in early 2019. It would not have been possible without the wonderful tools and loving support of the Dark Souls modding community.

Most of the bugs in Daughters of Ash have been ironed out, thanks to all of your feedback. Some minor bugs likely remain (and I still recommend not using a Homeward Bone to exit a visit to Nito's covenant), and the Remastered engine may have introduced some new glitches, but the mod is now as polished as it has ever been. You can submit bugs here or to the Discord channel, and I'll continue to sporadically fix them when enough have been gathered, but it is otherwise time for me to turn my attention to exciting new projects.
I haven't tried it yet, it's best to just get it rather than find youtube videos which would spoil surprises placed to subvert expectations informed by the original.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It honestly feels like Epic is going out of their way to fuck over Linux users at this point. Is SteamOS that big of a threat to them?
i suppose papa Tim wants to kill it before it even has any real chance of taking off ...

plus he HATES linux with a passion ... so i imagine that also "helps"

This was expected. Same goes for support for SteamPlay which Valve was helping with. (Dunno if Valve helped with version for Linux Native)
thanks, Tim ...

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
RTwP is like communism. Sounds good on paper, turns into life-changing eldritch horror the second you try to implement it.
You're right, RTwP is actually a bit like communism: it elegantly solves inherent issues of all other systems, and the broader public is too dumb for it.

🔥 The lack of saving in Persona dungeons is bad and its battle system is boring compared to Megaten proper >:O 🔥
I never understood why anyone would praise the Persona (3+) battle system. You can write a ~50 line script that plays optimally. It's incredibly boring under all that style.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I never understood why anyone would praise the Persona (3+) battle system. You can write a ~50 line script that plays optimally. It's incredibly boring under all that style.
Is this true?
Are there really people praising NuSona battle system?
How is that even possible?

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

Arguments around RTwP combat in RPGs are always amusing. If you've played an RTS the basic controls and skills required should be familiar. I think I prefer Turn-Based at its best (Divinity: Original Sin, X-COM: UFO Defense, Battle Brothers), but RTwP can be excellent as well, and has its own advantages (some of which are direct criticisms of Turn-Based).

I don't agree however with the argument that RTwP is effectively TB with micro-turns. The increased abstraction of TB allows for a lot of things that don't translate over well, most important of all being the turn itself. You commit to your turn, and the direct consequences that come of it. When you breach a room in X-COM full of enemies, and have to end that turn out of cover you're fucked. Every turn is a calculated exercise in anticipating your opponent's quantifiable actions (perhaps several turns in advance) in order to stay alive, while still trying to defeat your enemies.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
You're right, RTwP is actually a bit like communism: it elegantly solves inherent issues of all other systems, and the broader public is too dumb for it.

Persona 4 Golden is my favorite game of all time and I will shill for it to the end of the earth but god the dungeons + combat are so basic and boring. Its probably the only RPG I powered through the boring dungeons just to get back to the filler content. While Persona 5 makes the dungeons fun, the combat is still incredibly boring.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
I like rtwp and I really like Dragon Quest, each entry is amazing. I’m just a happy go lucky guy.

But I think we can all agree that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is total garbage.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Is this true?
Are there really people praising NuSona battle system?
How is that even possible?
I don't know, but it always shows up in "favourite RPG battle systems" threads.
I have to assume the thought process is something like "it's my favourite RPG, so it must have a great battle system". It's as if I said that Planescape: Torment has the best battle system of all time.

I don't agree however with the argument that RTwP is effectively TB with micro-turns. The increased abstraction of TB allows for a lot of things that don't translate over well, most important of all being the turn itself.
I agree with this to an extent, and I'd like to note that it's also true the other way around. As in, RTwP is capable of expressing scenarios and allowing plays that simply cannot occur in a turn-by-turn system (such as a line of fighters moving up to a position).

And then there are phase-based systems, but those are really rare (probably because they really only boil down to RTwP systems with fixed timesteps).

Reactions: QFNS and Arulan

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Phase based is used a bit in non-RPG games like the Frozen Synapse series and Flotilla. There were others including a space game like Flotilla but I forget...

Another cool non-RPG Real-time-with-Pause game is Door Kickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Spangle

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Is it possible to zap with static something in my PC if I cover it with a blanket while disconnected from the power outlet?
Yes. In-fact the blanket may make things worse, especially if you live in a dry/arid area. The rubbing of fabric can cause ESD and if your computer case is metal the shock can travel to components.

I've had this happen to me where I accidentally touch my PC in the middle of a bone-dry winter and.. SHOCK! My TV goes out, my GPU goes out. It's really scary when it happens, but knock on wood, the damage was never serious.

Certain types of fabric are more prone to causing static electricity than others...

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yes. In-fact the blanket may make things worse, especially if you live in a dry/arid area. The rubbing of fabric can cause ESD and if your computer case is metal the shock can travel to components.

I've had this happen to me where I accidentally touch my PC in the middle of a bone-dry winter and.. SHOCK! My TV goes out, my GPU goes out. It's really scary when it happens, but knock on wood, the damage was never serious.

Certain types of fabric are more prone to causing static electricity than others...
Fucking hell. I'll never do that again lol.

Thanfully everything seems to be all right now.

Durante's PC hardware thread

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That's a good idea -- if no one else does it by Sunday I'll give it a try. I don't have time to write a huge comprehensive guide, so I'll keep it simple and just suggest the core components I'd get at various budget levels.
"Keep it simple" they said... "just" suggest core components they said...
I did that and it still took almost 2 hours. Anyway, the thread is up now.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I miss the Gundam musou's tbh.

Lately the only musou's I can stomach though are ones where I actually care about the story, which is really quite rare in that genre. Fate/Extella was pretty great though. The VN like segments between missions were a nice reprieve.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Did I miss my chance to share my thoughts on Chrono Trigger being a boring, overrated RPG and that Earthbound is archaic and only liked because it's weird, which doesn't hold up at all today?

Shame I missed my chance on the previous page to talk about that.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Did I miss my chance to share my thoughts on Chrono Trigger being a boring, overrated RPG and that Earthbound is archaic and only liked because it's weird, which doesn't hold up at all today?

I've got a gun and it has one bullet. :jj_bye:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Digiman was always just poverty pokemon
THIS IS A BAD TAKE.

In the sea of bad takes on JRPGs, Persona and Trails in the Sky, this is the worst one :disapproval-blob:

Better theme song than Pokemon?

CHECK.

Manage to be kid friendly, but still retain a slight sense of cool?

CHECK.

Got it's own stupid cute mons?

CHECK.

Hilariously wacky designs, such as mons that are incarnate guns, holding guns?

CHECK.

Amazingly varied evolution lines?

CHECK.

A better iconic cast from the original show?

CHECK.

An emotional, interesting show with good lore instead of something revolving around a loser dweeb who never wins anything important or progresses as a character?

CHECK.

Games that at least try to improve their visual style, and don't put out the same rehashed, baby-difficulty games year after year with zero innovations?

CHECK

POVERTY POKEMON MY ARSE.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

You really like kicking the hornets nest huh?

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

Let's be real here:

Most "classic" JRPGs are boring, non-interactive experiences with subpar stories that don't even resemble the "RPG" in their genre name and only retain their clout because of nostalgia.

Reactions: MJunioR

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Daughters of Ash has been released for Dark Souls: Remastered, it was initially only available for the old Prepare to Die Edition.

I haven't tried it yet, it's best to just get it rather than find youtube videos which would spoil surprises placed to subvert expectations informed by the original.
I've been itching to give Dark Souls Remastered a go, but I'm torn between the two overhaul mods: Daughters of Ash and Prepare to Die Again.From my brief observations, it seems that the latter is more vanilla than the former which overhauled lots of things. However, it seems that Daughters of Ash is way more popular than Prepare to Die Again.

What's the brief pros/cons of each mod?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I've been itching to give Dark Souls Remastered a go, but I'm torn between the two overhaul mods: Daughters of Ash and Prepare to Die Again.From my brief observations, it seems that the latter is more vanilla than the former which overhauled lots of things. However, it seems that Daughters of Ash is way more popular than Prepare to Die Again.

What's the brief pros/cons of each mod?
I haven't played either. Have you played any version of the vanilla game(s)? Do that first. I'd imagine Daughters of Ash would be better for a next playthrough given the vast changes to make it feel fresh again. Then again you might always hate that after you start and just give up on it, giving the other one a go.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Haven't played either. Have you played the original? Do that first. Then I'd imagine Daughters of Ash would be better for a 2nd playthrough given the vast changed to make it feel fresh again. Then again you might always hate that after you start and just give up on it, giving the other one a go.
Yeah, I have played the original twice, but I haven't played the Remastered version since I bought it a couple of months ago. I need mods to make things fresh, and I can't decide which one to install.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Colorado, USA
POVERTY POKEMON MY ARSE.
I've been a Pokemon fan pretty much since '96 and my interest has only waned since the 3DS entries... but I have to admit that was a compelling argument. I don't give two shits about the anime or card game though.
Not bad sir, not bad at all.

... now if only I could play these on PC!
Please make this happen. I played a bunch of Cyber Sleuth on PS4 and really enjoyed it.

FunnyJay