Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Haha, I suppose that's why they struggle with 1080/1080Ti. :dana_bed:

I hope they're happy with 1080Ti because it is a good GPU. It would be three years old by now, but still, a better value proposition compared with 2080 Ti.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Did Monster Train have any sort of hype/marketing/discussion around it before it released? Only reason I know about the game is Steam it self.

Game seems do be doing really well. 11k peak ccu so far for the game with about 1,2k reviews. I feel that it was not that many years ago when people were cheering for 11k ccu for big titles on SteamGAF. And now an indie game I feel came out of nowhere has those numbers.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I guess VRR was still not common 3 years ago?
Did Monster Train have any sort of hype/marketing/discussion around it before it released? Only reason I know about the game is Steam it self.

Game seems do be doing really well. 11k peak ccu so far for the game with about 1,2k reviews. I feel that it was not that many years ago when people were cheering for 11k ccu for big titles on SteamGAF. And now an indie game I feel came out of nowhere has those numbers.
were AAA games not getting that high of ccu years ago?

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I flattened a pdf. It turned out horrible. My CPU peaked at 81° while doing it.
My ipad is dead dead (reboot itself every 5 minutes).
My cat is slashing my legs to the point I'm beginning to be scared (diabete and wounds are no-no).

Mood is bad :loudly-crying-face:

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Gsync was announced in 2015, I think? But I remember Durante or someone else ruminates about VRR on GAF before then. I think 2017 is when it received wide adoption and many monitors with Gsync/FreeSync becomes affordable.
My CPU peaked at 81° while doing it.
Huh, I thought you worked out that issue a while back. It's almost summer over there, right?

Reactions: Li Kao

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'd say VRR has only become common among PC gaming enthusiasts this year (Nvidia adding a lot of Freesync support). And I don't think it'll be common for several more years to come.

But today it's completely reasonable to suggest a VRR display to anyone looking to buy.

I flattened a pdf. It turned out horrible. My CPU peaked at 81° while doing it.
My ipad is dead dead (reboot itself every 5 minutes).
My cat is slashing my legs to the point I'm beginning to be scared (diabete and wounds are no-no).

Mood is bad :loudly-crying-face:
Which iPad model? My iPad mini 4 started dying late last year. Replaced it a few months ago.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Gsync was announced in 2015, I think? But I remember Durante or someone else ruminates about VRR on GAF before then. I think 2017 is when it received wide adoption and many monitors with Gsync/FreeSync becomes affordable.

Huh, I thought you worked out that issue a while back. It's almost summer over there, right?

I actually thought it was in 2013 or so but I do remember them marketing along side Batman Arkham Knight and that was in 2015 like you said.

So was that just the announcement but they didn't start to sell them for cheaper until 2017? I ended up getting mine at the end of 2018 and that was for a price of about $500USD when it had a MSRP of around $700USD. Okay I can see how all of this adds up now since you would be asking people to pay over $1kUSD on just a monitor

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Okay I can see how all of this adds up now since you would be asking people to pay over $1kUSD on just a monitor
I was one of Gsync monitors' early adopters and it wasn't cheap, I tell you! :dana_cry:

But it was a good investment, considering all the hubbub surrounding my monitor's (XB270hu) backlight bleed and panel lottery at that time. Anyway, 5 years on and it's still truckin'. I'm hoping it'll keep for many more years until perhaps 5120x2160 144hz native panel is within my budget.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I actually thought it was in 2013 or so but I do remember them marketing along side Batman Arkham Knight and that was in 2015 like you said.

So was that just the announcement but they didn't start to sell them for cheaper until 2017? I ended up getting mine at the end of 2018 and that was for a price of about $500USD when it had a MSRP of around $700USD. Okay I can see how all of this adds up now since you would be asking people to pay over $1kUSD on just a monitor
Gsync really became cheaper when nvidia decided to support adaptive sync/freesync monitor last year. So now you can have vrr with nvidia cards without the gsync module that adds a lot to the monitor price. And nvidia supporting freesync also shows there are many freesync monitor that do vrr really badly. (flickering especially). I used to have a Samsung C27HG70 monitor that does this and it's disappointing.

Reactions: Durante and Kvik

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have to say, I love my new screen so much! Thought 24" would be too small and 1080p too low of a resolution but I don't mind either at all. Was worried about cheap IPS but colors are great and variable refresh rate is a godsend!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Don't forget to pause Humble Choice if you haven't yet and don't want the bundle, friday is billing day.
Oh yeah thanks, I was debating that earlier but really won't be playing much of those games.
Hope next month will be more to my taste, but at least I haven't spent anything in months...

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018

I've read some positive comments about it here, and decided to play through it today.

It's a short and charming game. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I enjoyed it. It's also free.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Li Kao Kitty needs a scratching post thingy and a "thing on a string on a stick" so you can keep them entertained away from your legs.
Yeah, she already got the thing on a stick, it works, but not for that long. Admittedly I have to use it more often.
Scratching post is... complicated ? I just found some square scratching surface that you put on the ground, and the little demon is not interested. Well, as per tradition she was scared by it for 1-2 days, but now she just doesn't seem to get what to do with it. I was lucky with the litter, very quick to understand, but the scratching flies miles over her head.

No, because I'm dumb and lazy. As I didn't play AC Unity again (that game is the epitome of bore) I didn't really act up on it.
Yeah, summer is soon, some nights the interior is are at 25c.

Which iPad model? My iPad mini 4 started dying late last year. Replaced it a few months ago.
Ipad Pro 2016 or 2017. It happened just after the second to last update.
It updated and then all of a sudden it works for ~5 minutes and reboot itself.
Tried soft restore, hard restore, and dfu restore.
I have been too lazy to send it back and super scared of the repair price without apple care. And part of me HATE apple and the digital world where I always have my nose on a tablet.
But hate or not, it's wreaking so many habits and cool things. I have an old ipad 4, but the thing is barely working under the updates it got along the years and the more and more demanding websites. Forget about reading a complex pdf, too.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Next-gen is actually the first time I won't be getting any console day 1 or at all.

I have a PS4 Pro, Switch and Xbox One X and I barely use any of them.

PS4 Pro is only for Sony exclusives/console exclusives (not many of these these days), Xbox One X is for backwards compatiblity with my Xbox 360 games, games that never released on PC and pretty much just console exclusive games. And Switch is for Nintendo exclusive games.

However, since all MS games will be on PC I won't ever need an Xbox Series X, PS5 will be bought on a sale at some point and Nintendo...whenever Switch 2 or whatever is out.

I barely touch my consoles which is a weird turnaround since I used my consoles a lot in the first 1-2 years of the PS4/Xbone generation. My Xbox hasn't been used since I finished Kingdom Hearts 3 2-3 months ago via game pass, my PS4 was used a few days ago with Iron Man VR demo and before than it wasn't used since january I think (my Plus sub ended that month and I never played online on my PS4).

These days I just play games on PC. The next time I will use my PS4 will be when TLOU 2 is out (really looking forward to it) and after that I have no idea. I have some games on my PS4 wishlist, but none I really want to play, they are just there to remind me that they exist to buy on sale some day, like Concrete Genie. I thought I was getting Ghost of Tsushima on day 1, but the showcase it recently had on State of Play decreased my interest a lot. Will get it on sale too.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm excited to see what the new console tech brings but yeah, unless there's something that i super-cannot-fucking-wait-to-play coming out i'll be holding off too. I'm a PC/Nintendo gamer with Sony/Microsoft being my "other" console and tbh i don't have the time or inclination to juggle games on 3 or 4 platforms anymore.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
this just reminds me how I wish any publisher with cash made an AAA warhamemr 40k game...

I would hit that so hard if there was no painting involved. But with all the emphasis on this side of things, it wouldn't feel right.
I'm not a teen, I can't dedicate hours upon hours on this.
For the Emperor ! :loudly-crying-face:

It's because a new edition is coming btw, not sure if the trailer is clear on that, just skimmed.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Interesting bits from latest Steam client:

EA Access? Time trials stuff now in client too

Profile items stuff

Stickers for summer sale, Chat room effects with unlimited uses.

Age verification for Perfect World (Steam China)

account_score_spend? reviews scored by how much you spent on Steam core or maybe related to community points.

New cloud gaming stuff:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Interesting bits from latest Steam client:

EA Access? Time trials stuff now in client too

Profile items stuff

Stickers for summer sale, Chat room effects with unlimited uses.

Age verification for Perfect World (Steam China)

account_score_spend? reviews scored by how much you spent on Steam core or maybe related to community points.

New cloud gaming stuff:

this is hype :coffee-blob:

Reactions: PhaZZe

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder how far down the rabbit hole Valve will go with this cloud/subscription thing.

Because at some point you might as well just let all of them on Steam.

XCloud
Gamepass
PSNOW
EA Access
UPlay+
GFnow

Throw Stadia and HumbleBundle into the mix too lol

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I was watching this Vtuber (don't judge me :p) and it really drove home / reminded me how masterful the game design of Portal 1 is. The way the first 10 or so test chambers gradually introduce the mechanics and perfectly walk the line between being too hard to figure out and being too easy to be satisfying is fantastic. Of course, the humour holds up as well, and even the graphics do thanks to the art style (though they would do even better if Coco enabled AA, jeez).

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I wonder how far down the rabbit hole Valve will go with this cloud/subscription thing.

XCloud
Gamepass
PSNOW
EA Access
UPlay+
GFnow

EA Access is confirmed, GFNow is all but confirmed, Uplay+ is the one that I can see releasing next due to the not THAT impressive numbers from that service.

But anyway, Steam is atm like a bridge to connect all the services possible, that's the main objective, be the main hub.

Reactions: ISee and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

XCloud
Gamepass
PSNOW
EA Access
UPlay+
GFnow

that's probably the plan, yes

Reactions: ISee
Status
Not open for further replies.