Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

During the launch day stream on November 14 at 1:00 pm ET / 10:00 am PT, you’ll be able to follow along with the Insomniac team on Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter. And today, Insomniac Games Lead VFX Artist Yancy Young shares some of his background and the part he played in shaping Stormland.
I'm a stealth guy, so while the game has a lot of awesome things going on, I think my favorite part is strategizing how to handle dangerous Tempest combat sequences. We have a really cool array of enemy types from short-range Assault Troopers that can close the distance with shotguns, to long-range sniper enemies that blend into the world. The situation when approaching Tempest enemies both in and out of their strongholds is not always what it seems. Players will need to use all of their robotic senses to ensure they’re ready when the bullets start to fly!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It was only announced summer 2018 actually (I'm sure worked on for years before though, but Insomniac did other stuff like PS4's Spider-Man inbetween).

More Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners stuff! This game came out of nowhere and is looking really promising (see this post for much more too if you missed it).

And this adventure game is releasing tomorrow, it looks pretty decent (but I hate when devs have part of the arm visible, either do full IK arms or just hands).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
A very big Onward update! I'm excited about having something co-op related with the new AI, I thought they gave up on it in favor of PVP. Plus Workshop stuff!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Panther VR reached its funding goal earlier. No tweet/post/whatever about it yet, I saw it first (edit: tweet edited in later)! :p

They're not making any of their stretch goals sadly but as long as the core of the game is good and it does well the concept could be expanded later maybe.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Node got to play Saints & Sinners!

And of course they go on an NPC killing spree. LOL.

Journey for Elysium just released too.

Alongside some other VR games as usual but you can check those out yourself, not much of it speaks to me personally.

And more Pistol Whip stuff. I'm only posting the official media since every other youtuber has his hands on it and there are tons of videos hourly or something.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This could be fun (or a total mess). Hopefully the Sid Meier's Pirates! in VR I've been wanting (but other fancy VR pirate games were small scale arena stuff).

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Housemate backed Jeri Ellison's Tilt5 AR/HoloLens Glasses on Kickstarter and has offered to +1 a set for me when they finalise the orders if i want, i pay obviously, but i get the kickstarter pricing. I'm really, really tempted... and will probably go for it.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

And a couple new releases, a SPT style game and a cute Halloweeny thingie, sequel to a freebie most people had enjoyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Do we know If PistolWhip requires RoomScale or can i play it with Standing Room only?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If you can play beat saber you can play pistol whip from what I've seen. Just standing in place and leaning to dodge bullets and maybe the occasional pillar.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks, Beat Sabre didn't appeal to me but i'll probably give Pistolwhip a go. For all it's flaws Audio Shield is still my go-to VR "Dance" game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
These look pretty cool, I hope they port them to PC too (like most other Quest software). I didn't realize they're Quest-only by the footage, they look pretty nice.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks! Some interesting stuff there. I've sent the Machu Picchu links to my archaeologist friend.

It's also reminded me to have a look at PistolWhip VR as that's releasing tomorrow!

edit: on further inspection i don';t think i have the room for PistolWhip, shame.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

The discount is only for a week (and it's Steam so you can always try it and refund if you don't find it promising regardless of the early access unfinished state).

I had forgotten this thing was still in early access, it looks like they're finishing it up finally (the same dudes are also working on Zero Caliber concurrently).

This could be worth a play for some casual fun, it looks like a total of about ~20 if you buy all the DLC rides. But only if they're really good, each being cheap on its own isn't enticing enough if the quality isn't there. Still, when I went through the underwater ride in Summer Funland I wished there were more cool rides like that to have something to demo VR with to non-gamers. Things like that and theBlu software are cool for such purposes. Anyway, I have no idea if this is good.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yay, it's up, I've been furiously refreshing the pages and it's finally there. One final week to wait for it!
During the launch day stream on November 14 at 1:00 pm ET / 10:00 am PT, you’ll be able to follow along with the Insomniac team as they play on Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter. In the meantime, here’s what Oculus Studios Executive Producer David Yee had to say.
My most favorite mechanic for Stormland is harvesting. Breaking apart a weapon or collecting plants is a really tactile way of interacting with the world, and it felt pretty good from the very beginning. I can remember first trying the feature and breaking all of my weapons to the point where I had nothing to use during the play session because I would snap everything in half as soon as I got it.

A lot of VR talks about presence as a visual thing. For me, tactile moments where you interact with the world and have it respond to your touch—in a way that just makes sense—is equally, if not more, important for convincing players that they’re being transported to another world.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What everyone's been waiting for...

A new I Expect You to Die mission is coming too!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's coming!

Also, Oculus delayed the Echo Arena port for Quest to 2020 but they did make a cringy ad for it.

Alongside other recent cringry ads for Quest and Rift S.

The old Quest ad was better, almost Wii/Switch level ad, almost:

Anyway, Boneworks time soon, here we gooooooo!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Getting other stuff out of the way before Boneworks hype.

Also the new/final Wolves in the Walls chapter is out.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The DLC is just the soundtrack, not in game content. The game is sweet, with the deadeye modifier it feels like a lightgun game but for me it's impossible to keep on beat while dodging and aiming, it's not exactly balanced for it. I suck at rhythm games anyway though. It's fun and a real work out, sweating buckets!

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
The DLC is just the soundtrack, nothing in game. The game is sweet, with the deadeye modifier it feels like a lightgun game but for me it's impossible to keep on beat while dodging and aiming, it's not exactly balanced for it. I suck at rhythm games anyway though. Well, it's fun and a real work out, sweating buckets!
Does it require 360 movement or can i just stand there facing one direction with some wiggle room?
I have a tiny space available for VR so anything that requires a lot of movement is not going to happen.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
One direction like Beat Saber so far. Less movement than Beat Saber even. I consider it standing VR but if you can't even stretch your arms away then idk.

It's exactly like its trailer. You shoot oncoming targets, duck & lean neo style to dodge bullets and the occasional wall type thing and maybe melee a fool.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The DLC is just the soundtrack, not in game content. The game is sweet, with the deadeye modifier it feels like a lightgun game but for me it's impossible to keep on beat while dodging and aiming, it's not exactly balanced for it. I suck at rhythm games anyway though. It's fun and a real work out, sweating buckets!
Wait, so the DLC (soundtrack vol 1) is just like normal downloadable OST so you can listen to the songs you play in the game outside the game?

I thought it was more songs you could play in the game. I almost bought it, but decided to just buy the game for now.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Moved this to a new post for the new page :p
Boneworks is an experimental VR physics action adventure game coming to you on December 10th! Witness the events that unravel after Monogon’s MythOS locks down after an unexpected Void breach. Then, play for endless hours with a physics sandbox mode, battle arena, and story replays for additional powerful items.

The video makes the game look pretty polished but as a trailer it sucks (I guess it trumps fake scripted shit). Can't wait though (Stormland will help, 5 days left)!

They kinda killed the hype with it. I'm sure every VR user still looks forward to it but I was hoping for a media blowout that would get everyone talking about it like the first demonstrations of the game. This was like, if Half-Life trailers just showed Freeman walk down some corridors, smash some boxes, push some buttons and maybe shoot a little on the side. It works to show me the physics/polish/VR and underlying systems but not to excite the average gamer.

Some more recent cool stuff reposted for the new page to kick off nicely:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
This is looking pretty good. Perhaps not THE Indiana Jones game one day we could have since it doesn't have free locomotion and stuff but it seems to nicely hide the lack of moving around with all the magical machinery moving parts taking you to the different challenges as you progress. It looks well made if tacky!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yep, posted their last gameplay tweet here. They replaced the guns since:

Re Pistol Whip.

The Deadeye modifier (which disables aiming assist) makes the game feel like an old school tough as nails lightgun shooter. Which is great for me because I suck at rhythm games (if it wasn't for the haptic feedback I wouldn't even understand the beat of some of these songs, they're not what I usually listen to).

Still, I really don't think anyone will be able to both play Deadeye and keep the rhythm aspect of the game in mind in the higher difficulty scenarios. Then again some of the Beat Saber players out there appear to be superhuman too so I could easily be eating crow about this soon enough.

I do think it should have different scroreboards for some of the modifiers though, not just alter the one main score by + and - percentages based on them. Deadeye is one that should have its own scoreboard. Maybe it should be a different mode of play altogether in the main menu rather than appear as just a modifier. And maybe Dual Wield shouldn't have as much of a penalty in that as for most people it's gonna be impossible to be ambidextrous in that way and aim well with both hands anyway, the bonus bullets only being a benefit for bonus real skill. Or just not have the same modifiers as the main mode of play, I dunno.

I don't know if some levels/difficulties will even be possible to complete at all in Deadeye, score considerations be damned. There are instances with TONS of enemies that you normally just vaguely point at and pull the trigger like mad for a killing streak, you can kill folks behind your back that you missed without even looking at them and so on, Deadeye doesn't work like that so it could be literally impossible to get through. Although, again, it would be cool if Deadeye was its own mode of play, maybe ditching the rhythmic aspect altogether, possibly adding things like a max payne style slow motion gauge you can fill up with accurate killing streaks and then spend on the more insane sections that would otherwise be impossible.

Stuff like that. It really works great as an arcade style shooter even if that wasn't their primary intention. Again, great for me, I'm not much into rhythm stuff.

Also, the game's super polished, but they need to add the modifier information in game, I still don't know what some do and the menus some times bork. Additionally, it could do with some kind of arcade mode that lets you play through various levels in succession rather than just the level. Especially since they have a lot of things that try to make it like a little bit of a story rather than just a track selection as in Beat Saber and other music based games.

Other than these it's near perfect! I'm sure it's going to be a mainstay for anyone who has the slightest interest in rhythm games. Maybe for others like me too! So it should be very successful and that should let them keep updating and adding to it (and not just more songs).

Also I got a good score on 2 levels' easy mode, 3 & 5! On the others I'm like 250th. Probably 2500th by next month once more people play, lol.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The doctor is in the house!

Edit: I tried it and it's probably a pretty decent adventure, especially for Doctor Who fans (I really never got into it, it's decidedly too weird and British for me), but it's brought down by object/puzzle interactions that are just too rigid when in VR they should be far more natural and convenient. For example there's a puzzle where you open a safe with a numeric key lock but to use it you just shove your hand on it rather than try to actually push the buttons manually (there are no gestures beyond open/closed fist so you can't point accurately, the hand positions are a little bit off for Oculus Touch also) and it inputs 4 wrong random digits as you do it 4 times, then only after you find the clues does it automatically input the 4 correct digits when you repeat the process. Additionally, while snap turning and teleporting are fine, smooth turning and free locomotion are too slow even on the fastest settings making it unplayable. I guess they could patch this to fix it for those who want the smooth/free options but I don't imagine they will overhaul object interactions. The visuals are pretty nice, it all seems decidedly doctor-esque and very clean even on my CV1, I was worried it would be a jagged mess or hurt my eyes with all that bloom but it's actually pretty, especially the environments. I've only encountered a couple other, well, character-ish models and they're not as good but also for now they've been kept at distance/hidden by darkness, things like that so it's hard to say exactly. I guess overall it feels like a good and polished VR adventure... from 2016.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
We're getting a lot of VR releases now.

Doctor Who today

14th nov:

14th nov:

14th nov:

10th dec:

12th dec:

Other 2019 games without dates (may be pushed into 2020, but who knows):

Phantom: Covert Ops (Oculus exclusive)

And maybe Valves Half-Life VR game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yes, I've been posting about most of it, recently in the last couple of pages for some of it. Espire 1 was meant to be already out but last minute performance bugs have delayed it. I imagine Onslaught may be delayed too. VR Ping Pong Pro should release some time today and Last Labyrinth today/tomorrow depending on time zone. There's no confirmed Half-Life VR as of now but an equally exciting (or one and the same) flagship VR game by Valve. I think they could delay that too in order to give Boneworks some breathing room as they have some kind of relationship with its developers but who knows.

Edit: the last Espire 1 progress update for posterity.

Last edited:

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
Set up my VR for the first time in like 8 months and grabbed Gorn while on sale. Verrrrry fun game but the movement gave me a killer headache. Had to refund :/
How is the movement in Blade & Sorcery? I have very limited movement space.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Analog stick movement for traversing the maps, room scale/standing for your toe to toe fighting. That's how most action based free roaming games are these days. Maybe you can get used to it if you play some more, starting with slower paced non-action games or games where you can both teleport and use analog stick movement like In Death but if not then games where you don't move around like Beat Saber (possibly also like Pistol Whip but the constant forward movement could trigger you perhaps) or teleport movement games like Budget Cuts are probably your best bet. There are plenty of those.

Last edited:

TheGreenArrow

Ask me about my podcast damn it
Nov 20, 2018
www.thecellarletters.com
Analog stick movement for traversing the maps, room scale/standing for your toe to toe fighting. That's how most action based free roaming games are these days. Maybe you can get used to it if you play some more, starting with slower paced non-action games or games where you can both teleport and use analog stick movement like In Death but if not then games where you don't move around like Beat Saber (possibly also like Pistol Whip but the constant forward movement could trigger you perhaps) or teleport movement games like Budget Cuts are probably your best bet. There are plenty of those.
Analogue movement would probably be okay for me after getting used to it. Gorn’s is kinda weird. You hold down a button and use your arms to move around. Was very difficult when people were behind me haha

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Oh. I'm pretty sure in the options you could switch to analog stick in Gorn. I must have done so, I recalled it being quite similar. But Blade & Sorcery is better imo anyway (but for now doesn't have any of the progression stuff with better equipment as you progress and shit, but it will). Always check options in VR games, with different people reacting differently to different locomotion methods sometimes they include very diverse settings to make sure it works out.

Last edited: