Community The MetaVerse VR thread (hardware/software/etc, all platforms)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So this (several months old trailer).

Is coming "soon" as the dev said on Sept 13.
BlueberryBandit said:
specific release date is not currently set, but it is coming soon so it won't be too long of a wait
Hope it's cool. The melee isn't physics based but requires technique rather than waggling and the spell casting is inspired by Lichdom: Battlemage. Games like Dark Souls & Dark Messiah of Might & Magic are also cited as inspirations (duh). Of course as these indie things go it's a procedurally generated dungeon romp.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What a pleasant surprise, then. Against all odds, Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son nestles itself neatly amongst the growing number of VR titles that marry compelling, involving narrative with thoughtful interactivity. It’s a game with a welcome amount of heart, refusing to settle for the usual standards of tie-in media. Dare I say it, it’s even a worthy follow-up to a movie you’d have thought best left untouched. Bravo.
Not sure about it. Seems like a Telltale style game with very limited scenes/coices that can get repetitive on top. Edit: other reviews aren't so kind to it but meh.

Last edited:
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
So, Vive Cosmos appears to be a slightly higher resolution Oculus Rift S (2880x1700 vs 2560x1440 and 90hz vs 80hz) sold for around $700.
It also supports the existing Vive wireless kit and will later get an optional face plate add-on for the HMD to support the lighthouse tracking instead.

I think they should match the Rift S price instead to get people interested, then Oculus could do a needed price cut. Right now they both charge a premium. Both companies got rid of costly stuff like base stations/trackers but sell the kits at roughly equal prices just for the years late modest resolution bump.
What I'm most concerned about by far with the Cosmos is tracking performance, so it's really interesting that they are planning to offer an option rectifying that. (Which should also allow it to be used seamlessly with the Index Controllers)

Of course, for once, I'm not actually looking to buy a new HMD (pretty damn happy with the Index).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seems like a pretty pricey upgrade to have to buy new controllers and base stations after having paid for the bundled inside out tracked controllers though. And if you already have base stations and controllers then there may be other HMD to buy over this, where you don't also pay for controllers you won't actually use (though I guess the HMD could be available stand alone as well without the controllers) and then have to buy a new face plate for it to work on top.

OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Seems like a pretty pricey upgrade to have to buy new controllers and base stations after having paid for the bundled inside out tracked controllers though. And if you already have base stations and controllers then there may be other HMD to buy over this, where you don't also pay for controllers you won't use, and then have to buy a new face plate for it to work with that set up on top of that.
Yeah, absolutely.
I'm not really proposing that for anyone, but I do like that the option exists.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This is looking pretty sweet, well realized with enough twists to differentiate it from other stealth action games like Espire 1 (outside potential quality).

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Some gifs from Panther VR's kickstarter page.

Lots of details on there. It seems really well thought out. Some of its goals aren't what I'd like to see but they may work out for what they want to do. If I was shown the footage and all this information I could easily believe someone telling me it's some stylized Ubisoft Splinter Cell VR, not another indie thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

This is looking super cool. Still, I seem to recall reading in the initial announcement that it's less about accuracy, more about the rhythm game aspect. Which I don't much like. Hopefully it has a mode that does the opposite, require proper accuracy, be more lenient about the rhythm. Cos other than that focus (if that's true) it looks like it could be one of the better lightgun style arcade games in VR , which there are too few of. I love stuff like The House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, Ghost Squad, etc., but VR shooters that claim to be like them are usually meh horde mode/arena/wave games with neither the fun of nor the skill required by those oldies. Drop Dead is probably the best that approaches that actual arcade style feel but still nowhere near as great as those.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Damn, I was hoping to be playing it tomorrow.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks for keeping the thread up-to-date, Alextended! Much appreciated. I have next week off so i WILL teardown, setup and recalibrate my VR setup like i've been planning to do for months.

Reactions: Alextended

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Stuff from OC6. I was at work while it all went down hence posting late. MOH is Respawn's game! I hope it's like the stealthy PS1 stuff, not the later COD-likes!

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Whole OC6 day 1 keynote here.

Some really cool stuff (that won't be in our homes for ages I guess) being researched that will make the future of VR (not just Oculus) even greater!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Im suprised at the price for Stormland and Asgard. Thought both were gonna be 60$.
Shh, don't give them ideas.. I think 39.99 is their 1st party ceiling so far! It's nice to see it maintained even though these are likely their largest games, maintaining high production values yet offering more meat than even stuff like Lone Echo. Hopefully the same goes for Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell, or whatever comes.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Keeping the price managable is going to be key to getting people on board. $40 for a premium VR game is probably a good call.

edit: just checked and Stormland is £29.99 a decent price for a game with Insomniac behind it that's aiming for higher production values.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Huh. I didn't expect these guys (with their seemingly tight Valve collaboration and all) to do anything Oculus specific. Even for Quest (I guess it could later get on Rift/PC VR as most 1st party-ish Quest games yet but it probably won't be nearly as ambitious as the main Boneworks made for PC first). But money, I guess.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Jerri Ellsworth's new AR Project and company "Tilt Five" have started putting out videos and the Kickstarter is up. I'm really, really tempted by the XE Pack! It looks like a cheaper, better Hololens. Shipping next year £242 for Standard LE Pack or £291 for Bigger XE Pack.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The sniper rifle seems to have simplified usage, bringing it up triggering a scope-crosshair-only view? In most VR FPS the whole view is rendered, you can close one eye to focus on the scope or do it mentally while maintaining the rest of your FOV (basically just the same as any other sight, it just happens to have the extra zoom). It seems intuitive to me (well, in Onward I had minor trouble as outside a sweet spot the scope lens darkened but either I got the hang of it or they made it easier, I had no problems in other games like Contractors which didn't have that) but maybe MOH's method works too.

This guy seems competent enough so that's cool, VR gameplay videos from journalists rather than enthusiasts tend to be a mess. I wish he had disabled snap turning in favor of smooth motion as it makes the gameplay part of the video hard to follow and look as if it jitters/drops frames though. Of course you can always turn around physically in VR but that can be tricky when simultaneously moving with the analog stick, plus that demo set would make him tangle up the cables so he remained facing mostly forward (except when he got too into the game later in the video, haha).

Thank you based Oculus for funding cool shit like that (though maybe this game will later get on other platforms - officially as it'll already be playable through fan apps anyway - I'm sure it wasn't gonna happen at all without their involvement), we really do need meatier VR campaign experiences that often indies (or even larger studios that have dabbled in VR but don't feel the audience is there yet) aren't willing or able to deliver in this manner. And thank you Respawn for seemingly looking at how said indies have proven certain mechanics and systems work, the controls seem to be following after the best of them rather than reinvent the wheel and potentially do it in a worse manner that doesn't feel quite right or as intuitive or even as interactive with the different weapon bits etc.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im gonna wait until the Oculus Link update is up before deciding anything, I don't have a Virtual Link port on my GPU, so Im not sure what I need exactly.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Stuff from OC6 day 2.

Im gonna wait until the Oculus Link update is up before deciding anything, I don't have a Virtual Link port on my GPU, so Im not sure what I need exactly.
It's USB 3 port iirc. Any USB 3 cable supposedly will work, but for the best experience they'll sell a fiber optic cable that is usb -> fiber -> usb. And most other VR sets work via displayport + usb together. To me it seems virtualink is kinda dead, maybe for now. Valve Index virtualink adapter was cancelled too.

Worth mentioning back in early VR developments devs were adamant you need at least 90fps/hz minimum for a proper feel of presence and what not.

Then Rift S came out with the 80 hz concession for whatever reason.

Quest is actually 72 which might not be a huge difference to 80 but it seems like a bigger difference to the 90 that was called the minimum.

Index goes above and beyond up to 144 or something. But yeah, if you primarily want PC VR games maybe Quest isn't the best choice despite it seeming, at first glance, like a Rift S, costing the same, yet also running a ton of games untethered, just with lower fidelity/power requirements than the PC VR stuff.

Most (all?) previously known as Quest exclusive games come to the Oculus PC platforms too in the end so you can play those tethered without Quest.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

I tend to dislike VR FPS that simplify controls and functions like reloading and such but maybe this could be to Unreal Tournament what Firewall Zero Hour is to Rainbow Six Siege (or Onward to - old school - Ghost Recon). Hopefully with more meat and depth than something like Space Junkies, fun as it is. but yeah.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That's good, people say they get better performance that way. Personally I notice no real difference when I choose to launch say, Onward, through Oculus SDK.

I bought Lone Echo yesterday as it was 10 euros off for the day (it seems Oculus 1st party-ish games don't get deep or frequent discounts or anything so far) and played it for around 30 minutes. It is still every bit as impressive and as immersing as you heard it being talked up despite having seen much more stuff in VR since its launch (and even the other Echo game(s) which utilizes similar gameplay for different PVP purposes)! Highly recommended. Maybe wait for next year's sequel in case they make some even better bundle deal but it seems Oculus 1st party-ish stuff don't really get discounted much/often. Now I'm sitting with 3 days off and a minor foot injury after a lucky encounter with a car while on my brother in law's motorcycle and can't play/finish it :cry:

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Out now (patch, not DLC)!

I really liked this game, modest yet well made and fun, will dive in for the new content when I can! The melee, magic, puzzles, everything just worked nicely.

It's on par with Vanishing Realms for sure imo.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The rest of the OC6 stuff uploaded. Lots of different and interesting for devs or users topics.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Man, all that OC6 stuff (not to mention other unrelated to OC6 VR news in recent times, how can such supposedly enthusiast PC media not even talk about VR outside clickbait and sensationalized reports like a random newspaper's tech column?) and all RockPaperShotgun found worthwhile to write is "Oculus Quest’s cameras could make VR controllers a thing of the past". No they can't, how would you even shoot in a simple shooter, finger gun and pew pew noises? How do you move a character in 3D space, wiggle your thumb on a mental analog stick and expect it to know what the fuck you want to do, move vs thumb wrestle someone or just scratch an itch? Tactile inputs and feedback are still absolutely necessary and will remain so until you get Matrix level tech. In real life you have such feedback when you use all kinds of devices, why would VR suddenly be better without any (abstracted, depending on the device, as controllers aren't shape shifting) representation of that? That's not the purpose of that feature, to wholly replace controllers like that, not outside particular niches (ie, Minority Report esque interfaces or simpler social space games a la Rec Room). Anyway, nothing about the games, nothing about any of those dev perspective videos, talks, analyses, features, not even talking about turning Quest into an actual PC VR kit with the Link stuff. Why do I even bother checking them out any more >_>

Edit: ok so they wrote about Medal of Honor VR too, condescendingly about "wacky VR shenanigans" and how it's not realistic and is tone deaf because you can grab and throw objects to incapacitate (stall?) an enemy (in the trailer shown with a frying pan or similar). That was it. As if being by the developers of games like Call of Duty, Titanfall, Apex Legends, was a hint to it being a full realistic sim about the perils of World War II. Like a game where you land on Omaha Beach and instantly die from an explosion while the scene switches back to your waiting family until they get the bad news and you watch a depressing 2 hour movie about how that affects each person, would have been the grand revelation a VR (or non VR) FPS should offer >_>

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Can't wait for this, hope Espire 1 releases and scratches the itch until then...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nice categorized list of all the OC6 talks by UploadVR (not the actual keynotes and other stuff, refer to previous posts/the Oculus youtube channel for that).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So there were actually more Oculus Connect 6 talks they hadn't uploaded yet.

Again see the rest and the keynotes in previous posts or the Oculus channel. There are like 40 videos total (some duplicates as they were in the keynotes).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So that Walking Dead VR game finally has a name/official announcement and some new media.

It has looked pretty rough in the extended hands on videos that came out previously but this footage looks GREAT so hopefully they can pull it off.

Edit: brain fart, this is a different brand-new Walking Dead VR game, the other one being developed by Survios (and also announced already, Onslaught)!

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Some more Quest/Link stuff, mainly because it shows some more Stormland gameplay. Can't wait for that. Wish it released before Asgard's Wrath.

Last edited: